Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
You're out of luck on this one unfortunately, unless you can figure out a way to downgrade to iOS 15. There's no way to be able to move the notifications up again.

The closest thing you can do is to select the "List" view in your notification settings.

• Sad
Reactions: Jim Lahey

DigitalAR

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2022
This is ridiculous.

I currently have it set in notifications to ‘list’ as opposed to ‘stack’ and it’s not much of a difference.

Wish we could go back to how notifications were initially displayed.

Kinda wish I would’ve stayed on iOS15 and only upgraded to iOS 15 cause the it was needed for WatchOs9 but was not life altering.

Like seriously this is ridiculous.

DigitalAR

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2022
You guys!!! I just installed 16.2 Beta 4 on my test device, and now the top-left swipe down action always brings up the Notification Center! No more secondary swipe up action is needed.
This is progress!

kayuz6

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2022
You guys!!! I just installed 16.2 Beta 4 on my test device, and now the top-left swipe down action always brings up the Notification Center! No more secondary swipe up action is needed.
This is can confirm. It brings the notifications. However, if you like scroll up the high the single notification, it glitch and bring itself like up the clock numbers…

mdorais

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
Just wanted to post my thoughts here. I just finally upgraded to iOS 16 a few days ago and I've been missing (as in not seeing) notifications all the time now. They're completely pointless on the lock screen. If I already have around 4 notifications, new ones like important texts from people, don't show up. My phone just lights up and I see old notifications. I actually have to scroll down to see why my phone lit up. How did this get past QA?

FYI I'm using list view because the other options are even worse.

FitzZic

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
Just wanted to post my thoughts here. I just finally upgraded to iOS 16 a few days ago and I've been missing (as in not seeing) notifications all the time now. They're completely pointless on the lock screen. If I already have around 4 notifications, new ones like important texts from people, don't show up. My phone just lights up and I see old notifications. I actually have to scroll down to see why my phone lit up. How did this get past QA?

FYI I'm using list view because the other options are even worse.
It is normally fixed in iOS 16.2 coming next week.
By fixed I mean they bring back the way it was on iOS 15. So old notifications are visible without a swipe from the top left swipe down. But it will alway require an additional swipe up frop center on the Lock Screen.

DigitalAR

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2022
It is normally fixed in iOS 16.2 coming next week.
By fixed I mean they bring back the way it was on iOS 15. So old notifications are visible without a swipe from the top left swipe down. But it will alway require an additional swipe up frop center on the Lock Screen.
I don’t think it’ll be EXACTLY as how it was on iOS 15.

FitzZic

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
I don’t think it’ll be EXACTLY as how it was on iOS 15.
From what we saw from the iOS 16.2 RC1, it is. At least for the "no need to swipe up" if Notification Center is popped from the swipe down top left corner, and not from the Lock Screen.

If you think about the presentation of Notifications (like from the bottom, even in List), it will remain iOS 16 looking, yeah.

FitzZic

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
Question for those who are on the RC: does swiping away a notification from the Lock Screen / Notification Centre always emits a subtle second vibration after 1 second?

Like: swipe to left [insta vibrates] -> vibrates again 1 second after?

It's really annoying as it vibrates more than 1 second after and seems like a bug...

Reactions: redbeard331

zuckuss00

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012
I held out on iOS 16 until today and wow was that an instant mistake. I can’t believe Apple is forcing this notification system down the throats of their user base. I really can’t see the functionality to it. I guess all we can do is just hope for an improvement. What a shame.

FitzZic

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
I see 16.2 has not fixed the absolutely crap notification system.

Still swiping up to find a ton of notifications I never knew existed.
Hmm, it is like iOS 15 now: you can see all your notifications, even the older one in the Notification Centre by default when your phone is already unlocked / on the Home Screen by swiping down from the top of the screen.

On a locked phone / on the Lock Screen however, it's always (as it was in iOS 15 too!) only the newer one, and you need to swipe up from the center of the screen if you want to reach older one from here.

Reactions: GlenK

jmh0523

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Is anyone else having a hard time dealing with the notifications coming in from the bottom of the lock screen? I keep missing important notifications with them coming in this way and not being displayed fully across the lock screen like they were in iOS 15. I changed the Notification settings to 'Count' so I can at least get a glance of the # of notifications piled up down there...which shows the # most of the time but sometimes doesn't, which hopefully Apple tweaks further in upcoming iOS releases to work consistently. I get what Apple was trying to address here with user complaints of notifications flooding their lock screen in previous iOS versions, but this time with notifications being buried and hidden at the bottom of the lock screen and not seeing them until you swipe up from the bottom (which I'm sure most iPhone users won't realize) this doesn't seem like an effective way of managing notifications either....or maybe I need to change a setting somewhere to address this - didn't see one though.

With the official release of iOS 16 today I'm sure people will bring this up more and more.

Just my take on it. 🤷‍♂️
Yes this on top of when you pull down to search, the text you're typing is at the bottom now while your results are at the top so your eyes are doing double time. Whoever the UI/UX person is they need to fire them. I'm getting so sick of my iPhone OS lately it just gets worse and worse. Now Siri starts rambling about how it seems i usually use messages to text (name), I'll go ahead and use that instead of just confirming I want to send a message. Homekit hasn't worked since 16, my wife can't tap to pay anymore, Siri almost never can resume playing my music if I tell it to pause and on my watch half the time it won't show the music currently playing or I believe the now playing icon used to display at the top and you could touch it to bring back up your music controls...anyways had to rant lol

Reactions: TonyC28

nexu

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2017
So is it worth it to update from 15.7 to the current version? I honestly feel tempted, but if notifications are still a mess I will stay where I am now

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Now that I've installed iOS 16 on all my devices, I have two questions about the new Lock Screen widgets:

EDIT okay, I just read the thread and this isn’t for questions about Lock Screen widgets, but rather the notifications.

Fortunately, I think I’ve adapted pretty well to the new system.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.