Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
No one knows yet, but I will always argue for OLED over any kind of mini-LED technology. There's a reason LG's OLED TVs are considered to have the best picture you can buy, while Samsung's QLED (mini-LED) and other mini-LED TVs are not.

I agree, as I own an LG OLED. But there is a huge difference between a 65” screen and a 12.9” screen. I’m not sure if there noticeable uptick in PQ with between OLED vs LCD screens.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I don't know what you consider top of the line? The most expensive? No matter how many thousands zone in miniLED has it will never match infinite contrast ration of OLED. miniLED is still compromise technology between LCD and OLED.

Sony considers that model their top of their line. They consider it Grade 1. They replaced their top of the line OLED monitor with that LCD model. Maybe you can convince Sony engineering otherwise.

As I said before, most professional reference monitors on the market are LCD.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Sony considers that model their top of their line. They consider it Grade 1. They replaced their top of the line OLED monitor with that LCD model. Maybe you can convince Sony engineering otherwise.

That's because they're grading HDR for color accuracy. There are OLED screen used by Hollywood colorist to grad TV shows and movies. In fact Panasonic just started selling these same OLED TV's to average consumer if you're willing to pay for it.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
That's because they're grading HDR for color accuracy. There are OLED screen used by Hollywood colorist to grad TV shows and movies. In fact Panasonic just started selling these same OLED TV's to average consumer if you're willing to pay for it.

I agree that's true. My response was refuting the comment made by @loybond because it's patently untrue:

"its unanimous from professional display reviewers, calibrators and videophiles that for picture quality, OLED is the best we have at the moment"

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
I agree that's true. My response was refuting the comment made by @loybond because it's patently untrue:

"its unanimous from professional display reviewers, calibrators and videophiles that for picture quality, OLED is the best we have at the moment"
Many of the LCD screen used by professional are no match for consumer grade panel. Some of these unit tops out at 4000 nits and there are a few movies that are graded in 4000 nits. No current consumer LED (OLED is out of the picture - no pun) can display such brightness.

Reactions: gnomeisland

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
That could be due to many other internal factors. Completely unrelated to OLED.

Hell, is that even proven?
Yes, absolutely, the S7 has variable 120hz and has a longer battery life because of that, despite a battery that is 20% smaller, other than that they are the same
They couldn't fit variable on oled for exactly the same reason why the iPhone 12 pro has no promotion, not enough screens / too expensive, but it should be coming next year

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
I don't think burn-in is an issue with OLED anymore, thanks to pixel shifting. As I understand it, the development of pixel shifting is what allows OLED laptops, which would otherwise be prime candidates for burn-in with static UI elements (more so than phones or tablets, which I don't think are used for such continuously long stretches of screen-on time).

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
The 12.9” 2021 iPad Pro contains 10,000 micro-LEDs. That is 125 Micro-LEDs per inch vs the 264 PPI of the screen. That is 1 to 2 LED to pixel ratio, coming very close the 1 to 1 ratio of an OLED. However, still need to consider the zones because those determine the brightness of individual pixels.

In regards to the dimming zones (LED zones) there are 2700 zones on the IPAD Pro mean 30 zones per inch which means 1 zone per 9 square pixels roughly. To approach OLED level blacks you will need to probably triple the number of zones along with very fast response rate LEDS. That would get nearly infinite blacks.

However, 30 zones will bring us very close to OLED level quality.

The transition from 70 LEDS of current Ipad Pros to 10,000 LEDS is like transitioning from Standard def to 4K HDR. It is that big of a difference.

Reactions: FasterQuieter

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
Seems like a lot of people are focused on the black level benefit of OLED, which is clearly something you can notice when watching movies / video. But for general use, like working on spreadsheets or documents, viewing many websites, etc., the background is usually white / light colored, so there is far less benefit (battery-wise or general viewing-wise) to OLED over LCD. And what I believe the biggest negative to OLEDs is, is the off-axis color shift you see.

fwilers

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2017
Washington

What you don't understand is that it is not necessarily better for 99.9% of production work. That LCD is only for those that want to try mastering for a possible future HDR consumer technology, which may never come along. Displaying extreme high nits has to be used in very very limited scenarios, such as a quick flash of light. Most producers aren't keen on huge lighting differences because it is too distracting. Even if it's in the metadata, a TV isn't going to use it, as it would just create a very blown out image or the tone mapping would be so far off it would look ridiculous.

What most people don't realize is HDR maintains the limit for diffuse white, such as a white wall at 100 nits.
Above 100 nits is restricted to highlights.

The Sony OLED is true RGB and not WRGB found in consumer OLED's. WRGB found in consumer OLED's use white to increase brightness at the expense of color accuracy.
The Sony on the other hand is far more accurate, more so than any LCD or OLED. It can display white along with extremely bright color rich content without any fading of color from the white light. It has 21 stops, which is more than current cameras can capture.

The Sony LCD can get brighter, but it can't do what their OLED does for darks. It's two different instruments for different content. This doesn't make one better than the other.

Studios will do multiple masterings for different segments, Rec 2020 or DCI-P3, different tone and grey mapping, but OLED is still the most used because of the dynamic range in the lower end (which is so much higher than any LCD) and the accuracy at pixel level. This makes their job easier and is it is far more beneficial for not only what movie theaters can show, but what consumers are able to view. Recommendations from studios is only 400 nits max. The 1000 nits you see mentioned is for max subpixel lighting.

Higher brightness (or nits) does not mean better. Higher dynamic range does not mean better (especially if you can't display blacks and gradients correctly). If you have 10,000 nit master and show it on a 1000 nit display, do you know what happens? You should look it up before you decide one technology is better than the other.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I currently own a 2018 11" iPad Pro and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 Plus. I got a great deal on the Samsung and bought it mainly out of curiosity. I imagined I'd sell it on pretty soon. When it came though, I was blown away by the screen. For watching video, there is no contest with Apple's Liquid Retina display. The contrast, blacks and colors look stunning. For this reason, I use it every time I want to actually watch something. On the other hand, I hate Android. Both the OS itself and whatever part Samsung played in the implementation on this device. I am constantly accidentally invoking screens I don't want. The navigation annoys me. Touch input on all sliders works intermittently. I have no access to messages. A long laundry list of paper cuts that bug me every time I pick it up. It's like it's broken compared to an iPad.

I am curious to know how well the display on the new 12.9" iPad will compare with this OLED display. If I could sell my current pair of devices and buy one to rule them all, I'd be very happy. Does anyone have any insight as to just how good black levels, video, color, the whole lot might compare between OLED and the new iPad's XDR display? I imagine I'll lose Samsung's color saturation, but other than that, do you think they'll be comparable?
4K 55” LG C9 OLED HDR 10-bit color

with an M1 MacMini hooked up @120hz Mac OS BigSur 11.3 looks drippy. I prefer OLED everything.
I would love a Side by Side comparison Vs.

the 12.9” XDR iPad Pro Vs the 12.3” Samsung Tab S7+ with its 120hz OLED Display. That being said. We all want 1 thing. MacOS BigSir on the iPad Pro ? But why ? It’s gonna drain the battery way quicker, Not be as fast as a MacMini M1

And if your just gonna connect to a big 4K TV or a Monitor then that defeats the purpose of portability.

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
It seems the most important point is being ignored here. Sure, OLED has perfect blacks which lends to a higher dynamic range. That PQ is great to see, and very easy to see.... on LARGE screens! I doubt many would ever notice the difference on tablet screens of any size. Even then, you'd need a high quality 4K source, which can only be found on 4k Blu Ray. When you view compressed streams, that additional PQ virtually disappears.

The main advantage of OLED with tablets is improved battery life, and perhaps they can make the tablet a bit thinner.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
That PQ is great to see, and very easy to see.... on LARGE screens! I doubt many would ever notice the difference on tablet screens of any size.

The improved PQ is quite obvious on my iPhone. Took my breath away when made the switch to OLED.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.