Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Okay, so no point in getting the mini without getting a 4K display simultaneously then? Was hoping the text would at least be close to how Windows/Linux handle it.
Yeah, Windows scaling/rendering on sub-4K is fine. Apple appears to have made a conscious decision on how macOS renders a lower resolutions, which is a big shame.

Having said that, I use my M1 MBA with a cheap LG 4K display and it looks AMAZING. If you set it to look like 2560 x 1440, the Mac will render it as a 5K display internally then scale it down, so you get true pixel doubling and HiDPI. Sure, it's not as good as a 5K display (or 5K iMac), but it's pretty sweet.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Yeah, Windows scaling/rendering on sub-4K is fine.
Exactly. Windows looks just fine with any QHD / 2560x1440 monitor. I had one and I was practically shocked to see how terrible it looked in my new Mini M1. I had no idea before getting Mini M1 that it would look much worse than it did with Windows in my old monitor. I tried every tricks, even managed to get my Mini to output HiDPI mode to it but even that was hardly marginal improvement and just when I was almost gotten used to look, I powered up my Windows machine using the same screen the reality of how terrible it looked in Mini M1 was realized again.

Then I finally got 4K monitor and I've been so happy ever since. It works perfectly in my Mini M1 and also perfect with Windows machines too, so real win-win situation for me in the end.

Having said that, I use my M1 MBA with a cheap LG 4K display and it looks AMAZING. If you set it to look like 2560 x 1440, the Mac will render it as a 5K display internally then scale it down, so you get true pixel doubling and HiDPI. Sure, it's not as good as a 5K display (or 5K iMac), but it's pretty sweet.
Same here, I have middle priced 4K LG 32UN880-B 32" monitor and it is excellent. Due to big screen, I use mine with 3008x1692 looks like resolution and it is just great with massive desktop screen estate still large enough fonts for me and the best of all, fonts look great.

Reactions: Aggedor

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Hi all,
This thread is massive. I'm wondering if someone could give me a summary of steps to take with the recurrent problem I'm having.
M1, Dell S2722QC connected by usb-c.
After playing YouTube fullscreen in Safari Monterey 12.0.1, I get screen flickering only in certain places. Some Safari pages, YouTube videos, desktop wallpaper, lock screen. The flickering persists after factory reset of monitor, changing usb-c settings on monitor, Mac restart. It seems like adjusting the colour profile of external display in Mac sometimes fixes the problem. Flickering doesn't happen every time I play YouTube in fullscreen. Really annoying.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Hi all,
This thread is massive. I'm wondering if someone could give me a summary of steps to take with the recurrent problem I'm having.
After playing YouTube fullscreen in Safari Monterey 12.0.1, I get screen flickering only in certain places. Some Safari pages, YouTube videos, desktop wallpaper, lock screen. The flickering persists after factory reset of monitor, changing usb-c settings on monitor, Mac restart. It seems like adjusting the colour profile of external display in Mac sometimes fixes the problem. Flickering doesn't happen every time I play YouTube in fullscreen. Really annoying.
Interesting. Sounds like there might be some bigger issue but I'd start checking whether monitor gets RGB or YPbPr signal from Mac, and if it is the latter one then follow the instructions mentioned in this thread to force RGB mode and see if it makes any difference. I haven't seen issue you describer ever with my Mac M1 Mini but I've been forcing RGB always.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Thanks. Are you able to link to the most is useful post about this? There are lots!
Check previous page and these two posts I made for the start.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...b.2276345/page-28?post=30545051#post-30545051

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...b.2276345/page-28?post=30553761#post-30553761

Those should give you pretty good idea what to do assuming you have basic knowledge how to edit plist files. There is information of that buried somewhere in this thread too. Anyway check the warnings and make backup just in case before doing anything!!! I never had myself any issues even with deleting those mentioned plist files but still in it is a good idea to have backups and understanding about possible risks and that you do it at your own risk!!!

Last edited:

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Check previous page and these two posts I made for the start.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...b.2276345/page-28?post=30545051#post-30545051

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...b.2276345/page-28?post=30553761#post-30553761

Those should give you pretty good idea what to do assuming you have basic knowledge how to edit plist files. There is information of that buried somewhere in this thread too. Anyway check the warnings and make backup just in case before doing anything!!! I never had myself any issues even with deleting those mentioned plist files but still in it is a good idea to have backups and understanding about possible risks and that you do it at your own risk!!!
Thanks so much!

thepuma77

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
My neighbor is selling me his Dell P4317Q 43" because moving out of country. I bought a 14" Macbook Pro M1 Max. I'm on MacOS Monterey. Anyone have experience or advice with this setup?

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
For what it's worth I have the same Dell U2415 mentioned in the OP and just received my first M1 MBA today. I've been following this thread thinking I'd probably have to upgrade my monitor in short order but after a couple hours messing around with the new machine I upgraded to Monterey, plugged in the monitor with a Silkland USB-C to DP cable and everything looks perfectly fine to my eyes. No weird colors and fonts look every bit as sharp as they did hooked up to my old Air.

The OSD has the Input Color Format as RGB with YPBPR as the other option.
This is my experience with my U2415 too (I have connected it with a D-link USB-C to hdmi adapter), I wonder what's so magical with this screen?!? :oops:

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
My neighbor is selling me his Dell P4317Q 43" because moving out of country. I bought a 14" Macbook Pro M1 Max. I'm on MacOS Monterey. Anyone have experience or advice with this setup?
There shouldn't be any issues with a 4K display, just be sure to have a USB-C to DisplayPort cable or adapter for 60Hz.

Reactions: thepuma77

bm303

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2011
I have a Mac mini m1 I bought a few weeks ago. The monitor quality is atrocious. Blurry, fuzzy, etc. I am on a 1080p 24" monitor. It was superb on windows and older Macs. It looks like utter crap on this thing. I have eye strain problems to begin with, so I can't get a huge giant 4k monitor. Am I forced to return this thing if I don't want some super high res, behemoth monitor?

I am using a HDMI-HDMI and the monitor is an older Asus.

Edit: Downloaded "BetterDummy" and ran it in 4k mode with larger icons. Much better. Like almost normal. Annoying because I can tell there is some input lag, but it is way crisper and clearer and not blurry nearly as much.

Last edited:
Reactions: NitDawg

ludmiloff

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2020
Know it's been < 24 hrs but has anyone tried MacOS 12.1?
Updated yesterday, no problems so far with my AOC U27P2 HDMI<->HDMI Mac mini M1. Need to say I was previously edited com.apple.windowserver.displays.plist

Not tried USBC<->DP.

jockishnerd

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2021
Updated yesterday, no problems so far with my AOC U27P2 HDMI<->HDMI Mac mini M1. Need to say I was previously edited com.apple.windowserver.displays.plist

Not tried USBC<->DP.
Thanks...I went ahead to took the plunge last night and got flicker on the ASUS VP28U. Checked/fixed the plist files and it's better but still happens on occasion. I did set the Color Profile to sRGB which also seemed to help. This is HDMI -> HDMI.

I also have a LG 27UL850-W which is a USB-C monitor and that's never had an issue

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
Finally got my 14-inch M1 Max, no quality issues with either of my displays. I have Dell U3219Q (4K) via USB-C, Dell U2417 (1080p) via Thunderbolt dock and DisplayPort and ancient Dell P2312 (?). 1680x1050, connected via dock and DisplayPort.

The quality seems to be at least the same if not better than with my Intel MacBooks.

I don’t use any 3rd party tools for displays.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002

Yooooo. This advice was on point. You freaking rock.

So I've been wrestling with some oddities using a Samsung G9 (native 5120x144) with new 14" MB, set to 3840x1080.

The issue has been that, running at that resolution, certain elements have been pixelated. Not pixelated as in, "clearly this isn't HiDPI," but pixelated as in… some sort of… weird display issue. For example, text was perfectly fine, just things like the red close button on windows, and icons in Finder windows, something was clearly going awry with rendering.

I set up BetterDummy and have been running it… decently well. It's finicky but works. Introduces cursor lag for sure. But yeah, ya know, icons and stuff, everything seemed ok.

Still, it seemed weird that I'd have to run this to solve the problem, so I uninstalled BetterDummy to mess around. And lots of messing around later, I found something out:

- Occasionally, it seemed like I could "trick" the OS into properly drawing all these components.

- From there, I found that it seemed like this was related to switching between 60hz and 120hz (that is, 60hz would display fine, but then the pixelation would happen when switching to 120hz… going back again to 60hz would then maintain the pixelation.)

- From there, I found that the workaround for at least getting things looking good at 60hz, was to turn HDR on, then turn HDR off. Voila, everything looking good.

- However, this would all go out the window the second I switched to 120hz. :(

Anyway, finally (get to the point, me), I came across your posts. I set my display up how I needed it, 120hz and all. Then, I made the changes to both plists, saved, and rebooted.

And so, right now, I'm running at my desired resolution, at 120hz, and everything is crispy, no pixelation. I'm so happy!

I really cannot convey my thanks enough. Now I can do things like let my screensaver run, let the computer sleep, etc, without it freaking out, as was the case with BetterDummy (which is a perfectly great application but seemed like overkill for me needs, ya know)

Boy do I really, really, really hope Apple addresses whatever the hell is going on here. -___-

---------------------------
---------------------------

On a more directly related note… besides changing the plist files, any tricks to making sure these changes stick? In my testing all this out, of course I found that fiddling with display settings would knock the plist changes around. Is the idea here to just leave them be when satisfied, and manually change them again if they get lost on a reboot or OS update? (That is, don't do anything drastic like change their permissions? ;)

Reactions: wgr73

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
On a more directly related note… besides changing the plist files, any tricks to making sure these changes stick? In my testing all this out, of course I found that fiddling with display settings would knock the plist changes around. Is the idea here to just leave them be when satisfied, and manually change them again if they get lost on a reboot or OS update? (That is, don't do anything drastic like change their permissions? ;)
From my experience plist do not reset on reboot or even OS update, the only thing that reset them back to default (usually meaning it goes to YPbPr in those affected by this problem) is when you change resolution or refresh rate. So as long as you refrain from touching display settings, you are fine.

If you occasionally need to fiddle with display settings, it might be a good idea just to backup edited plists from both locations (global and user specific folder) so you can quickly restore them without need to manually edit them every time.

Reactions: JtheLemur

kubilaydem

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2020
Hi !

Any experience with Viewsonic vx3276 2k MHD + Macbook Air m1?

Or how about LG 32QN600-B + Macbook Air m1?

How about colors? How about sharpness?

Last edited:

Rozovici

macrumors member
May 9, 2021
I went though this thread and i'm still not sure if there is no good solution when it comes to pairing a 2k monitor with a mac device (Macbook Pro M1 in my case). It is very important for em to ahve sharp text and i am also looking for a high refresh rate pannel as i am used to it and don't want to go back to 60Hz.

If anybody can give me advices in that regard would be greatly appreciated.

I was looking at 4k 144Hz options but they are on the expensive side. A 2k would have been great.

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sorry, I was a bit vague in my post but I exactly meant ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost.
Also you need to edit values in the /Library/Preferences/ location which is global setting for, the one in ByHost is user specific.

I'm feeling foolish, but what is the name of the specific plist? I have hundreds in these two folders.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
In both locations correct plist file name start with "com.apple.windowserver.displays.....".
It is on the very bottom of the file list. It is important to have plist file in both locations edited correctly.

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
In both locations correct plist file name start with "com.apple.windowserver.displays.....".
It is on the very bottom of the file list. It is important to have plist file in both locations edited correctly.
Thanks so much. As I've mentioned here in the past, the flickering I get on my Dell monitor is not exactly the problem you're solving but I'll try it.

DennisdeWit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2016
The Netherlands
Though I am from The Netherlands, I bought this cable from Amazon DE as I have a Prime membership there:

I just use it from my Mac Studio to my Dell U2715H. It works fine now, RGB color mode!

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Hi all,

Just an update to my troubles with my Dell monitor. The Dell support staff have disclosed to me that the Dell S2722QC is not compatible with M1 MBA when connected with usb-c. They also gave me a list of Dell monitors that are compatible with Apple Silicon and usb-c. There aren't many.

I can't believe that they are selling monitors without disclosing this incompatibility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.