Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Cancelled
Jan 20, 2010
Guys, a reminder that this has been previously discussed and resolved for some time:

getheo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
For LG screens, how can I determine if the mac uses RGB or YcBcR? Where is this information?

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
For LG screens, how can I determine if the mac uses RGB or YcBcR? Where is this information?
It only really shows in the MacOS plist files. See more info about that in this thread for how to force RGB mode to make sure (search under my nick in this thread for more info).

Reactions: getheo

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
Guys, a reminder that this has been previously discussed and resolved for some time:

… Except it seems like it hasn't. The reason I followed the awesome advice in this thread rather than using the script you cite, is because of mentions that "I have no option to select more than 60 HZ on my external display."

Advice here works great with high refresh monitors (120hz and silky smooth). :)

Cancelled
Jan 20, 2010
… Except it seems like it hasn't. The reason I followed the awesome advice in this thread rather than using the script you cite, is because of mentions that "I have no option to select more than 60 HZ on my external display."

Advice here works great with high refresh monitors (120hz and silky smooth). :)

Not everyone has 120Hz and it is unknown why that one user has issues. Advice here does not work great for everyone, as seen above.

Cancelled
Jan 20, 2010
It only really shows in the MacOS plist files. See more info about that in this thread for how to force RGB mode to make sure (search under my nick in this thread for more info).
I swear I saw it somewhere else, maybe in System Report but I can't find it now!

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
I swear I saw it somewhere else, maybe in System Report but I can't find it now!
I think it was older MacOS versions where it showed that in System Report. In newer M1 supporting OS'es I have never seen it listed there anymore.

Reactions: 5883662

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
I just returned an M1 Max Studio for a few reasons, but one of them was text that wasn't very sharp on my LG 27GL850 compared to how the monitor looks on my PC. I couldn't even get a display port cable to work on the Mac because the flicker was so bad it was blinking. HDMI worked fine, but the fonts were still a bit blurry.

It seems M1 Macs are very finicky with monitors, whereas on the PC, you can hook up any crap monitor and it will work fine.

I only wanted a Mac to play around with MacOS since I have been tech bored lately. I might order an M1 iMac. Has everything in one unit and there shouldn't be any issues with the built in display.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
I just returned an M1 Max Studio for a few reasons, but one of them was text that wasn't very sharp on my LG 27GL850 compared to how the monitor looks on my PC. I couldn't even get a display port cable to work on the Mac because the flicker was so bad it was blinking. HDMI worked fine, but the fonts were still a bit blurry.
The LG monitor you used is only 2560x1440 panel, so it surely is a world of pain to use because HiDPI modes are not supported (=text will look terrible). You need 4K or above native resolution panel to get decent fonts with Mac's these days.

It seems M1 Macs are very finicky with monitors, whereas on the PC, you can hook up any crap monitor and it will work fine.
Windows handle monitors running at their native resolution so much better than Mac. With Mac as long as you have at least 4K monitor and you are not trying to run it at 3840x2160 resolution you will be fine.

Reactions: Gudi

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
The LG monitor you used is only 2560x1440 panel, so it surely is a world of pain to use because HiDPI modes are not supported (=text will look terrible). You need 4K or above native resolution panel to get decent fonts with Mac's these days.

Windows handle monitors running at their native resolution so much better than Mac. With Mac as long as you have at least 4K monitor and you are not trying to run it at 3840x2160 resolution you will be fine.

Ya but not everyone wants/needs/can afford a 4K monitor. Apple really should accommodate all monitors. It shouldn't be any effort on their part to code it correctly for a variety of monitors and resolutions. This just shows they are being lazy.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Ya but not everyone wants/needs/can afford a 4K monitor.
Yeah, I realize that but I suggested it for you since you said you were already considering iMac M1 instead. :)

Apple really should accommodate all monitors. It shouldn't be any effort on their part to code it correctly for a variety of monitors and resolutions. This just shows they are being lazy.
From what I have understood, Apple actually used to support non HiDPI monitors fine a while ago but they intentionally removed that, so probably reason for that is not about laziness.

zoga

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2022
Hi there. I've just placed an order for this setup: m1 mac mini + ASUS ProArt PA279CV external monitor. Should I be worried about the "YPBPR vs RGB" thing?

Last edited:

QuietOC

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2022
Hi there. I've just placed and order for this setup: m1 mac mini + ASUS ProArt PA279CV external monitor. Should I be worried about the "YPBPR vs RGB" thing?
Not if you are connecting it via USB-C or DisplayPort.

zoga

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2022
Thanks! However, I came across that even USB-C can cause some problems with this display. Here's a link from Asus support page:

If you are using PA279CV and encounter problems when connecting via Type-C cable

I can see that appropriate cables are enclosed in the box so I guess I just have to buy an USB-C -> DP adapter.

In addition, from what I can see on YT and in user manual, Asus' OSD does not provide any information whether monitor output is YPBPR or RGB.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
It is worth to check still, since using USB-C or DP alone does not guarantee RGB mode. But all is depending on combination and some might work in RGB mode without any tricks.

DarkSchneider

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2022
Hello,

I think while the 2 devices, computer and display, “talk” the same language, should not be as much important about RGB o YPbPr. Think that HDR content is transmitted using YUV, and we can get the full color range.

What I have done, at least on Dell monitor which have the options (Dell U2414H by HDMI) is:
- Set the display color preset to sRGB, so full supported color gamut.
- Set the display gamma in Mac mode.
- Use the Dell U2414H color profile in macOS (selected by default). If your display has no own profile, could use the sRGB instead.
- Adjust brightness and contrast, mine set to bright 52 contr 75.

Not really sure if using the Mac gamma mode is correct, maybe someone with calibration equipment could tell us if it is correct or we have to use PC gamma mode. Or maybe even having own color profile is prepared to set the display settings to Mac mode, because if I choose the sRGB color profile, it looks brighter.
But in any case I see a full and rich color gamut, not darkened at all, and the fonts can be read nicely.

Last edited:

and.dan19

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2022
Hi

Had the plist hack working with Big Sur - not working with Monterey though. It seems to switch from RGB to YPbPr shortly after boot. I've checked /Library/Preferences and ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost. Anyone have a suggestion please?

<key>LinkDescription</key>
<dict>
<key>BitDepth</key>
<integer>8</integer>
<key>EOTF</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>PixelEncoding</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>Range</key>
<integer>1</integer>
</dict>
Use this tool: https://github.com/dangh/force-rgb.fish

Reactions: mzxgame

AlexBooHu

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2011
Editing the plists worked with my M1 MacBook and Dell Monitor for months, until the update to Ventura came along.

Now the plist in /Library/Preferences gets reset every time i unplug and replug the USB-C cable. This completely deletes the edited section and the monitor is at yPBPR again.

mzxgame

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2020
Manchester, UK
I'm now finding that KVM switching or sleep/ wake is resetting the preference for one or both monitors. This is fixed with a reboot. Ventura 13.0.1. I've filed a bug report to Apple.

Last edited:

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Come to Windows, the OS optimized for crappy low-res monitors!

pc-does-what.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.