Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
You can only get the M1 Max chip with 64GB of RAM! 32GB and less is M1 Pro chip!

I ordered this:

"Okay, it is perfect for my tasks of viewing video content like on DVDs, viewing and writing emails, viewing YouTube! and doing social media on Twitter? Listening to streaming music too! Seems to have enough power to keep up with my lifestyle! Of course buy the top of line specs but only 1 TB of storage, 32 core GPU, 64 GB RAM, 16" screen size!"

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
You can only get the M1 Max chip with 64GB of RAM! 32GB and less is M1 Pro chip!

I ordered this:

"Okay, it is perfect for my tasks of viewing video content like on DVDs, viewing and writing emails, viewing YouTube! and doing social media on Twitter? Listening to streaming music too! Seems to have enough power to keep up with my lifestyle! Of course buy the top of line specs but only 1 TB of storage, 32 core GPU, 64 GB RAM, 16" screen size!"
That is incorrect. The base M1 Max chip is 32.

obevan

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2020
Just ordered M1 Pro with 16gb RAM. Primarily iOS dev in Xcode, fairly gentle photo editing in lightroom. Perhaps in the future I'll be doing ML/mayybe 3D game dev. Should I have gone for 32gb?

slowloris615

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2012
I went with 32. I edit video, but I have never owned a machine with more than 32, and actually work just fine on my current machine which is 16. 32 should crush it for me. I think if I did 3d rendering/game design etc, I'd go for more. I also almost always edit in proxies per my work flow. And even if i did change my mind the shipping dates just became much longer so its all good in the hood.

januarydrive7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2020
I have 32 in my 16", and frequently wish I had more when working in ML. I imagine large unified memory is a big deal when it comes to local GPU compute tasks -- my current dGPU has 4GB memory, and has to copy data over a slower bus... I'd love to get my hands on one of these

Cybertruck20

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Do you think the adobe apps are just not optimised for Apple silicon, or is it just how apps like After Effects run? they generally a lot of RAM?
Premiere is optimized for M1 and runs GREAT. I don't think AE is yet, but even if it was optimized AE is such a heavy program and sucks on even the best of machines, so you have to take it with a grain of salt. It just eats up RAM so I always go as high as possible when I can. I have a PC I use AE on that I put 128GB of RAM in solely for the purpose of AE and it's wonderful.

Hisoka187

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2021
I wanna get 64gb in case I wanna game. Idk how much of a difference it makes tho. More fps? I’m not seeing an option for 64 on bestbuy website tho as I’d prefer to buy from them than Apple. All I see is 32. Is it an Apple store exclusive or what?

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Just ordered M1 Pro with 16gb RAM. Primarily iOS dev in Xcode, fairly gentle photo editing in lightroom. Perhaps in the future I'll be doing ML/mayybe 3D game dev. Should I have gone for 32gb?
My intel desktop PC has 32GB and been running well with an i7 4790 - 2014 was purchase date. Now, 12th generation has ability to go 256GB RAM, so I feel that i really need to at least go up to the maximum for my laptop of 64GB! I will be upgrade my PC to in December when the 12th gen. PC come out! Order the maximum RAM offered.

Last edited:

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
I wanna get 64gb in case I wanna game. Idk how much of a difference it makes tho. More fps? I’m not seeing an option for 64 on bestbuy website tho as I’d prefer to buy from them than Apple. All I see is 32. Is it an Apple store exclusive or what?
Need to the M1 Max model MacBook Pro! LOL!

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
very limited data source and this has not been fully confirmed with testing but this m1 max with 64gb slightly outperforms an m1 max with 32gb on multicore score:

m1 max 32gb:

m2 max 64gb:

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
very limited data source and this has not been fully confirmed with testing but this m1 max with 64gb slightly outperforms an m1 max with 32gb on multicore score:

m1 max 32gb:

m2 max 64gb:
$400.00 difference! $4K notebook! 10% more! Just saying! That sales tax on certain states!

SeenJeen

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
64 GB seems like overkill unless you are a power user and even then, maybe those should be looking at a custom build desktop for a cheaper option?
These notebooks are basically portable Mac Pros for 2/3 of the price. The ability to chuck one in your bag and do workstation-grade editing on the go is worth the price of admission alone. This is really blowing my mind at the moment.

ewu

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2020
always 64GB, GPU and CPU are sharing ram,

chrome, docker, virtual machine, IDEs(xcode, eclipse, vscode, android studio and so on)

nowadays, software could eat ram quickly.

eddie_ducking

Suspended
Oct 18, 2021
just another thought that might be worth considering ... rumours quite early on appeared about excessive SSD usage and life span on M1 devices. People with 8Gb machines talking about 10-15% life used in months. I can only assume that this would be down to excessive swapping. After nearly a year, my 16Gb M1's SSD is only 2% used but I also don't have the need for some of the more memory hungry apps listed above (on my M1 Mac, the Mac Pro is a different matter).

Unless Apple have announced a logic board replacement scheme to allow for the cheaper replacement of the SSD (that's passed me by), I'd hate to think how much it'd cost to replace an M1 Max board just cause the hard drive has worn out in 2-3 years due to significantly insufficient RAM for the workflows asked of it.

Reactions: splitpea

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Besides the worry about premature wear due to excessive swapping, with the ultra fast SSDs and the high-bandwidth architecture, can't we expect swaps to be extremely fast? What I'm getting at is that if we're on the fringe of needing more RAM with occasional workflows and the system begins to swap, shouldn't that scenario be much faster than in years past?

I got the standard 16" 10 core, 1 TB, 16 GB RAM system. I primarily work in InDesign with occasional light Photoshop and Illustrator use. My current 2016 MBP has 16 GB RAM and while it certainly doesn't perform that great these days, I don't think RAM is the issue.

syrcular

macrumors member
May 17, 2013
This is truly the ultimate question. I had a hard time deciding , but in the end, I decided to buy 32GB RAM, and configure up to a 2TB SSD for a 16 inch MacBook Pro M1 Max. One reason is that I currently have the 2019 16 inch Intel MacBook with 32GB of RAM and a 2TB HD. I edit video, do some color grading and color correction for video and a lot of photo editing in Adobe Lr, Adobe Photoshop and Capture One. My use case, requires mostly CPU, and GPU instances. In video, I use Davinci Resolve and sometimes FCP or Adobe Premiere. These applications rely a lot on CPU and GPU, so that's why I went for the most CPU and GPU you I could get. Although these applications can take up a lot of RAM, I have rarely needed more than 32GB of RAM. I would often run into bottle necks in CPU and GPU before I would ever run into issues with RAM.
With my photography work, its a bit of the same thing for my use case. I don't do heavy design work, so most of my photography work is heavy color correction and editing. And 32GB of RAM in my past experience has always been more than sufficient even with heavy Photoshop workflows. My wife is a print designer, and utilizes only 16GB of RAM, and she often hits her max in RAM, but not by that much and not often, so 32GB would be game changing for her.
I opted the funds I would have spent upgrading to 64, into storage space. Because I tend to run out of storage more often. I looked at my usage on my existing 2TB storage and it looks like I'm always close to about 1TB utilized, and I don't like to have a 3/4 full storage drive, so 2TB has become a sweet spot for me, where I have enough room to play, edit internally if I need to and don't feel like I'll run out anytime soon.

I also will note that I see massive performance gains, with this new unified RAM architecture. I also own a Mac mini M1, and have seen it perform in ways that are comparable to my 2019 MacBook Pro with 32GB of RAM, so there is definitely effieciancies I've seen. I almost feel like the RAM equivalencies are slightly different in the new M1 architecture. For example, a 16GB RAM M1 system "feels" more like a 32GB Intel system to me, as does a 8GB M1 system (which is what I have in the Mac mini) felt and performed similarly to a Intel based 16GB system. This is just based on tests utilizing my stack of applications above.

So with all that said, 32GB of RAM should be more than enough for most applications, and I would segment 64GB of RAM as a need for people utilizing high performance computing tasks, designed to utilize the maximum output of a system, which could include high performance computational "number crunching" (scientific computing), visual FX and gaming development, and heavy and I mean heavy motion graphics work. One other use case I might include is music synthesis and audio. Many of those applications require good amounts of RAM as it loads a lot of audio samples into RAM Cache for virtual instruments in music and sound design applications. If you load up a ton of tracks, that all loads up into memory, while the audio plugins utilize processors. So if you have heavy track counts with a lot of virtual instruments than 64GB might also be a justification.

The rest of the bunch wanting 64GB of RAM are folks that want it and can afford it, and that's perfectly good as well. After all, if you compare how much it would have cost you to upgrade to 64GB of RAM in an intel machine, you will quickly see that the system last year was more expensive. So the value in these new M1 systems are quite compelling when you do the math.

So that's my 2-cents on the use cases and the comparison/justifications of 32GB vs 64GB

starman111

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2017
Do you think the adobe apps are just not optimised for Apple silicon, or is it just how apps like After Effects run? they generally a lot of RAM?
After Effects caches animation frames in RAM if free space is available. In other words, if you run a 20 second animation with 60 frames per second, it'll try to cache 1200 frames in RAM. In other words, it doesn't require 64 GB, but it'll certainly take advantage of it.

Reactions: jons

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
Besides the worry about premature wear due to excessive swapping, with the ultra fast SSDs and the high-bandwidth architecture, can't we expect swaps to be extremely fast? What I'm getting at is that if we're on the fringe of needing more RAM with occasional workflows and the system begins to swap, shouldn't that scenario be much faster than in years past?

I got the standard 16" 10 core, 1 TB, 16 GB RAM system. I primarily work in InDesign with occasional light Photoshop and Illustrator use. My current 2016 MBP has 16 GB RAM and while it certainly doesn't perform that great these days, I don't think RAM is the issue.
I’m looking at the same system as you, with similar design-centric app usage. If I need something more powerful, I’ll just upgrade in a year or two.

Reactions: ProMod

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
This is truly the ultimate question. I had a hard time deciding , but in the end, I decided to buy 32GB RAM, and configure up to a 2TB SSD for a 16 inch MacBook Pro M1 Max. One reason is that I currently have the 2019 16 inch Intel MacBook with 32GB of RAM and a 2TB HD. I edit video, do some color grading and color correction for video and a lot of photo editing in Adobe Lr, Adobe Photoshop and Capture One. My use case, requires mostly CPU, and GPU instances. In video, I use Davinci Resolve and sometimes FCP or Adobe Premiere. These applications rely a lot on CPU and GPU, so that's why I went for the most CPU and GPU you I could get. Although these applications can take up a lot of RAM, I have rarely needed more than 32GB of RAM. I would often run into bottle necks in CPU and GPU before I would ever run into issues with RAM.
With my photography work, its a bit of the same thing for my use case. I don't do heavy design work, so most of my photography work is heavy color correction and editing. And 32GB of RAM in my past experience has always been more than sufficient even with heavy Photoshop workflows. My wife is a print designer, and utilizes only 16GB of RAM, and she often hits her max in RAM, but not by that much and not often, so 32GB would be game changing for her.
I opted the funds I would have spent upgrading to 64, into storage space. Because I tend to run out of storage more often. I looked at my usage on my existing 2TB storage and it looks like I'm always close to about 1TB utilized, and I don't like to have a 3/4 full storage drive, so 2TB has become a sweet spot for me, where I have enough room to play, edit internally if I need to and don't feel like I'll run out anytime soon.

I also will note that I see massive performance gains, with this new unified RAM architecture. I also own a Mac mini M1, and have seen it perform in ways that are comparable to my 2019 MacBook Pro with 32GB of RAM, so there is definitely effieciancies I've seen. I almost feel like the RAM equivalencies are slightly different in the new M1 architecture. For example, a 16GB RAM M1 system "feels" more like a 32GB Intel system to me, as does a 8GB M1 system (which is what I have in the Mac mini) felt and performed similarly to a Intel based 16GB system. This is just based on tests utilizing my stack of applications above.

So with all that said, 32GB of RAM should be more than enough for most applications, and I would segment 64GB of RAM as a need for people utilizing high performance computing tasks, designed to utilize the maximum output of a system, which could include high performance computational "number crunching" (scientific computing), visual FX and gaming development, and heavy and I mean heavy motion graphics work. One other use case I might include is music synthesis and audio. Many of those applications require good amounts of RAM as it loads a lot of audio samples into RAM Cache for virtual instruments in music and sound design applications. If you load up a ton of tracks, that all loads up into memory, while the audio plugins utilize processors. So if you have heavy track counts with a lot of virtual instruments than 64GB might also be a justification.

The rest of the bunch wanting 64GB of RAM are folks that want it and can afford it, and that's perfectly good as well. After all, if you compare how much it would have cost you to upgrade to 64GB of RAM in an intel machine, you will quickly see that the system last year was more expensive. So the value in these new M1 systems are quite compelling when you do the math.

So that's my 2-cents on the use cases and the comparison/justifications of 32GB vs 64GB
Great comment — definitely worth more than 2 cents ? Thanks!

Reactions: asdex and syrcular
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.