Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Since when does the base M1 support the necessary resolutions most people want to use scaling this screen? Did Apple change anything?

icnt

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2023
I'm currently contemplating on buying the LG 40WP95C to combine with my M1 Macbook Air. However, the known issues regarding scaling got me in doubt, and I haven't been able to find a conclusion - is this still an issue, also for later updates, especially given one of the recent posts mentions it is not? And if so, do solutions like BetterDisplay work (decently) to resolve this?

Thanks in advance!

StarLord21

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2022
I'm currently contemplating on buying the LG 40WP95C to combine with my M1 Macbook Air. However, the known issues regarding scaling got me in doubt, and I haven't been able to find a conclusion - is this still an issue, also for later updates, especially given one of the recent posts mentions it is not? And if so, do solutions like BetterDisplay work (decently) to resolve this?

Thanks in advance!
Hi

You can use the monitor with the M1 chip however you won't be able to go passed 3072x1296 or so resolution. Everything else should work well if you use a DisplayPort cable with a dock or quality adapter.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)

Thanks in advance!
If you can tolerate 4K standard, for that price you could get a 4K OLED in 42 or 48 and they are outstanding - and they work just fine with M1 series.

RichieB

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011

Thanks in advance!
The LG 40WP95C has a native resolution of 5120x2160 which I can use just fine with my M1 Mac mini over Thunderbolt. I think with the current macOS release the M1 MacBook Air will also be able to use 5120x2160.

flybass

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
If you can tolerate 4K standard, for that price you could get a 4K OLED in 42 or 48 and they are outstanding - and they work just fine with M1 series.
I’m also getting the same monitor given the Black Friday sale. Hopefully it works decently with the M1 Max. Mainly I want to run enough vscode tabs in the same window. I’ve found 27 inches too small for more than 2 tabs.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
The LG 40WP95C has a native resolution of 5120x2160 which I can use just fine with my M1 Mac mini over Thunderbolt. I think with the current macOS release the M1 MacBook Air will also be able to use 5120x2160.
Yes it can drive it at the native resolution. Problem is the UI is unusable because everything is so tiny (to my eyes anyway). What people want are scaled resolutions, to make the UI larger and useable, but it needs to be at HiDPI (IMO and IME) otherwise it looks pretty bad.

"Plain" M chips can indeed run scaled resolutions, but not as high as 3840x1620 which seems to be the sweet spot for this monitor. The lower resolution HiDPI options make the UI so big that you lose effective screen real estate, defeating the purpose of this kind of monitor. IMO anyway.

Appletoni

Suspended
Mar 26, 2021

Thanks in advance!
If you want to use a high-end monitor like LG OLED... and you want to be on the save side, then buy a MacBook Pro 16-inch M3 MAX.

mobidutch

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Texas
@anthonymoody I am running my 5120x2160 monitor scaled at 4096x1728 using EasyRes with a plain M1 chip (no pro/max).
Good to know. BetterDisplay should also work just fine with the LG40WP95C. I am currently using a Dell U3415W with a scaled resolution of 85% at 2924x1224 on my M1 MacBook Pro 14, and everything is nice and sharp. I imagine that the LG 40WP95C will look amazing. Waiting for it to drop more in price, and that will be my next pick.

Reactions: Chuckeee

zm15

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2015
I'll throw the Lenovo Thinkvision p40w-20 monitor into the mix as well. I have this monitor and chose it over the LG for a couple of reasons. If I'm not mistaken, I believe they use the same panel. But the Lenovo includes additional ports underneath the monitor in a clever spring-loaded drawer that hides away. This provides an extra headphone jack, USB-C and regular USB 3 port to connect to.
I've never had any issues with the monitor not going to or waking from sleep like some of the LG monitors.
If you haven't, check out the Lenovo as well, might be a great fit!

Reactions: mobidutch

davewolfs

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
You don't need a Max computer for an LG 5K. I use one with an M2 Pro and have no issues. It does get tricky when you throw a second display in the mix but for the most part works quite well.

circa7

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
This is a hell of a long thread! Im sure my answer is in here somewhere, but I cannot get my 34WK95U to display in 4K resolution using an HDMI 2.1 cable. What could I possibly be doing wrong? I AM able to get Hi DPI, but its in a super weird aspect ratio that doesnt cover the entire screen. Even using BetterDisplay and SwitchResX, no dice. It works properly with a DisplayPort -> USB-C cable, but I want to use HDMI for my use.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
This is a hell of a long thread! Im sure my answer is in here somewhere, but I cannot get my 34WK95U to display in 4K resolution using an HDMI 2.1 cable. What could I possibly be doing wrong? I AM able to get Hi DPI, but its in a super weird aspect ratio that doesnt cover the entire screen. Even using BetterDisplay and SwitchResX, no dice. It works properly with a DisplayPort -> USB-C cable, but I want to use HDMI for my use.
The monitor does not support it's full resolution using HDMI, no matter what cable you use :/

1704877729602.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.