Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I know this is a bit of an elderly thread but I thought I'd post my current experience in case others were wondering about the time frame for ordering the m7 now and the actual process through to the delivery..... I ordered mine (m7, 512 GB SSD) on the evening of Monday, August 22nd, and at that time it said that the machine would be available for store pickup on September 1st. OK, no problem.....

On Wednesday morning after straightening out a slight glitch with my bank (they'd put a hold on the financial piece of processing the order, because the amount I was putting on my card was a bit out of the ordinary for my usual transaction history), everything went smoothly through to "preparing for shipment". To my delight on on Thursday morning when I checked the order status, the machine was already on her way! I had arranged for in-store pickup rather than dealing with UPS or Fed Ex for home delivery -- that way I knew that the machine would arrive safely and also be kept safely in one place until I was able to go retrieve her. (OK, I just didn't want to spend all day looking out my window every two minutes for the arrival of that magic delivery truck! Also didn't want someone casually tossing the box around, either.) So late this morning, lo and behold, I got the text message and the email that my new machine was waiting for me at the store! I went over in the afternoon and at that time also picked up the various accessories that after some research I had already decided I would need, so all worked out well. From Monday evening August 22nd to Friday morning August 26th -- not bad in the way of timing!

Anyone who like me, had been trying to make up their mind about when would be the best time to order and so on, and how long it might take, can be reassured by my experience. I had deliberately selected this time frame so that I would get the new machine and have time to get everything set up before there is the big blitz and hit on Apple's servers when the new iPhone is ready to be preordered and also when the new version of iOS is made available to the public.

I'm excited about this new beauty -- the Space Grey is really elegant and I can't get over the lightness when I pick her up! I haven't yet started setting things up -- that will happen tomorrow and so far all I've done is put her on the charger -- but in the meantime I keep admiring her! The sleekness and the light weight will be perfect for travel, my primary use intention.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Brookzy

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Oh, well.....I was just offering current info to those who might be considering ordering one of these as the time frame has definitely changed from a month or two ago and that is not really evident when one sees "available [xxxx]" when hitting the link for store pickup possibilities. On August 22nd I was given the delivery date of September 1st -- and yet in reality I got the computer just a few days later. Others might appreciate knowing this.

That said -- to each his or her own. As far as buying a new computer, I daresay for many people it is still a pretty exciting event, not just a ho-hum everyday occurrence. Through the years for me, at least, it's certainly been a fun experience from start to finish each and every time I've bought a new computer or iOS device. I am always pleased and enthused about the latest item that I'm bringing into my home and my life after careful thought and planning in terms how this device will be beneficial in a unique way. I love the process and I love the end result -- the new computer or iOS device coming into my hands. Too bad if someone else isn't as enthusiastic when they buy a new something-or-other. Shrug. Their issue, not mine.

Each new computer or device that I purchase has a specific purpose in how it is going to fit into my usage and so each comes along with new and somewhat different capabilities or configuration that will slot nicely into what I need. (Just for the record, this is not a situation where I'm replacing an elderly machine or anything; this 2016 12" rMB is joining other fairly late-model computers and iOS devices already in the household.) So....yes, I'm excited and happy with the newest addition to my little Apple "family" and so far things have been going great!

Last edited:
Reactions: Louwen
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.