Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kevinevic50

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2018
Cognac
The PCB identical to the Nvidia's Fonder Edition card is the reference design.

e.g. The 1080 reference PCB looks like this
View attachment 766230
If your MSI 1080 has more VRM, or more than a single 8pin put etc. Then it's not a reference card.

Which exact 1080 you are using now?

So far, some evidences point to non reference card may be an issue.

Ok. That’s a MSI gtx1080 armor OC 8GB. It has 8+6 power pin.

sum_duudoz

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2018
Oz
As with others, putting in a new GTX 780 card worked with OSX (10.10 through to 10.14, although I had to use the Mojave Patcher to install Mojave). Windows 7 on my Bootcamp partition worked fine with the new GTX card under parallels but would not boot into Bootcamp, only going past my SCSI Bios screen then remaining black, not windows login screen. Several of the suggestions identified here did not resolve the black screen on Bootcamp, what did work however was some basic hardware reconfiguration.

Perhaps this will be of help to others, after installing an Nvidia Geforce GTX 780 (Mac Edition) video card, and re-seating other PCI cards, I could no longer get Bootcamp to load past the SCSI Bios from my ATTO PCI SCSI card. After multiple tries with windows 7, even installing Windows 10 on the Bootcamp drive resulted in similar errors, I reinstalled the original Radeon card and in Bootcamp only got as far as the same Bios loading screen from the SCSI card but with video corruption (Random ASCII coloured characters on the screen, but with the SCSI message still visible). This then pointed me to a clash between the SCSI Card and the Graphics card. I took out the SCSI card and SSD Host adapter card and Bootcamp then loaded all the way through.

Replacing the new GTX780 card, also then allowed be to boot into Bootcamp with the SCSI and Host Adaptor cards removed. Some further trial and error identified that the the SCSI card would not allow booting all the way into Bootcamp while positioned in Slot 2. It works fine now in Slot 3. As some general advice, don't rule out the seemingly unlikely option that some hardware clash is occurring. What worked for me was, the PCI Host Adaptor in Slot 1, Slot 2 remaining empty, the ATTO UL5D SCSI card in Slot 3 and the Geforce GTX 780 in the Slot 4 PCI-X video slot.

Attachments

• PCI_Card_Order_to_get_Bootcamp_to_work_2018_10_18IMG_4349.jpg
    PCI_Card_Order_to_get_Bootcamp_to_work_2018_10_18IMG_4349.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 172
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.