Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ozbastion

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I'd think twice about that. I have a 1080 FE I use in Windows on a cMP and that works perfectly.
The experience of my 1070 FE in macOS leaves something to be desired. It really isn't good and you'll find that things are pretty buggy. Glitches, black screen when resuming from sleep, or even from monitor sleep, it's cumbersome having to remote into the Mac to update the driver prior to every OS update. It's not worth the hassle IMO.

I just don't think Pascal macOS drivers are any good and I don't see them improving in a hurry.
NVIDIA seem to be doing the bare minimum to offer 'support' for the cards in macOS.

Go for a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB and you'll be much better off!

This is the part that confuses me. Your experience with 1080 FE in macOS is good, but the 1070 FE is glitchy?How is a 1070 FE so different to a 1080 FE?

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
This is the part that confuses me. Your experience with 1080 FE in macOS is good, but the 1070 FE is glitchy?How is a 1070 FE so different to a 1080 FE?
I have a spare cMP which I've dedicated to Windows gaming and stuck a 1080 in it. In Windows, with Windows drivers, the card works like a dream. It's the perfect fit for the cMP IMO.

The 1070 is (was) used for macOS only.

Yes, I could have just used bootcamp and stuck to one machine, but I prefer to have things separate. It also allows me to pick and choose the graphics card for the Mac, as the 1080 would have just the same problems as the 1070, as you inferred in your post.

I've had a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB on pre-order with Amazon UK for more than a month now. That'll be what's going in my cMP to replace the aging GTX 680 ME. I very much gave up on the 1070 FE despite really wanting to like it. It's a very well engineered and fast card, it's just not great in a Mac.

Last edited:

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
I'd think twice about that. I have a 1080 FE I use in Windows on a cMP and that works perfectly.
The experience of my 1070 FE in macOS leaves something to be desired. It really isn't good and you'll find that things are pretty buggy. Glitches, black screen when resuming from sleep, or even from monitor sleep, it's cumbersome having to remote into the Mac to update the driver prior to every OS update. It's not worth the hassle IMO.
I put back in my GTX 680 ME, uninstalled the NVIDIA web driver and ALL the problems disappeared. It now works perfectly. It is very conclusive that the problem lies with the web driver to me.

I really don't think Pascal macOS drivers are any good and I don't see them improving in a hurry.
NVIDIA seem to be doing the bare minimum to offer 'support' for the cards in macOS.

Go for a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB and you'll be much better off!

Thanks for the heads up mate. Read some of your posts on this issue and put my purchase on hold.

Reactions: Squuiid

Ozbastion

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
They're from the same GPU tech and driver set, I can't imagine how the bugs and quirks Squuid laid out in his earlier post would be any different between 1070 and 1080...

Thanks, I thought this might have been the case. I thought the 'think twice' referred to the 1070 in particular, as opposed to Pascal GTX series, so the experience with 1080 in Windows really has nothing to do with it.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
It's a Swiss store, i don't know if something like that exists in the US, but here in Switzerland we can search for products like that: http://www.toppreise.ch/prod_490958.html

However, I'm still waiting. :rolleyes:
Yep, I pre-ordered mine on Amazon almost two months ago.
Most cards seem to have gone to miners in the US.
European launch of these cards is very much still happening here as very few cards have actually made it to Europe.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B071CQ5LRV

carpsafari

Suspended
Sep 13, 2015
the Netherlands
I would choose the Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 (the one Apple uses in their eGPU's): http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=77B48A1E-9FCB-4F19-BC2D-17C3087E4852&lang=deu

Totally compatible in macOS 10.13, no KEXT editing, just plug an play.

I ordered one for $270 on 1. July, still waiting....

I got one yesterday Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4Gb and tried Sierra and Hi-Sierra.
(Surprised to find the store had the 4Gb in stock! €299,- The miners apparently only want the 8Gb)
The RX580 is booting straight out of the box, but still shows as R9xxxxx4096mb
Also the PCI information in System Profile is showing the 'error gathering PCI information', when booting from Sierra.

But booting from Hi-Sierra is suddenly showing this info!

PS; on my regular Mac Pro I don't have Hi-Sierra, but I switched my GTX Titan for the RX 580...so that one is doing the honors.
PPS showing 2.5 GT/s is probably because under Hi Sierra the Titan (6Gb) has no Nvidia driver, yet.
Promising, promising. :)

Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 15.20.42.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Synchro3

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
The RX580 is booting straight out of the box, but still shows as R9xxxxx4096mb
Only the 8GB version shows correctly as that is the one used in Apple's eGPU dev kit.
Apple added the device ids (there are two for this specific card) into the OS to correctly name the card in About this Mac.

carpsafari

Suspended
Sep 13, 2015
the Netherlands
Just saw a YouTube clip where the RX580 also shows as a R9xx, with the eGPU and the 8Gb.
So maybe in the last beta they changed that.
So I'll have to correct it myself I guess.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Just saw a YouTube clip where the RX580 also shows as a R9xx, with the eGPU and the 8Gb.
So maybe in the last beta they changed that.
So I'll have to correct it myself I guess.
Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB or is it a Nitro? Only the Pulse shows correctly.
Could you share the YouTube link?

Reactions: Synchro3

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006

Its ± 2 minutes in when you see that.
Look at the card carefully in that video and tell me what model it is.
I think you'll find that an ASUS ROG RX 580 is not a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB ;)
Are you reading the posts above before replying?

Last edited:
Reactions: owbp and h9826790

carpsafari

Suspended
Sep 13, 2015
the Netherlands
It shows how little good info is there and most is wishfull thinking.
Many were waiting for 10.12.6 to show more AMD support.
The good news I see is my Titan in Hi Sierra being seen as a native Apple Gpu and that I did not expect!

Btw Photoshop sees the RX580 4Gb as 'AMD Radeon Ellesmere Prototype'

I guess I will return the RX580 4Gb and get a 8Gb from secondhand market, will be continued. :D

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Yep, I pre-ordered mine on Amazon almost two months ago.
Most cards seem to have gone to miners in the US.
European launch of these cards is very much still happening here as very few cards have actually made it to Europe.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B071CQ5LRV

I am seeing several of them on eBay, but they are more near $400 (for an 8GB version). Is that worth it?

BTW, does it have to be the Sapphire Pulse version, or can it be MSI or something?

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
It shows how little good info is there and most is wishfull thinking.
Many were waiting for 10.12.6 to show more AMD support.
The good news I see is my Titan in Hi Sierra being seen as a native Apple Gpu and that I did not expect!

Btw Photoshop sees the RX580 4Gb as 'AMD Radeon Ellesmere Prototype'

I guess I will return the RX580 4Gb and get a 8Gb from secondhand market, will be continued. :D

I think the Kepler Titan was "supported" back in Mavericks.

Anyway, the info never changed. Only the Sapphire PULSE RX580 with
Part#s: 113-4E3531U or 113-4E353BU will be properly identify under the current 10.13 Beta. Nothing changed so far.

carpsafari

Suspended
Sep 13, 2015
the Netherlands
I think the Kepler Titan was "supported" back in Mavericks.

See the post with the screenshot above!

This is really new to me, I've been using these Titans a while now.
They where the easy option because the Apple driver saw the card too, but still reported an 'error' in sys profile/pci.

In the first Sierra updates I could see a 2 second 'bootscreen'...but now, under Hi Sierra beta it boots like a native Apple GPU.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
If you value a stable OS which isn't going to give you a black screen when exiting sleep (forcing you to power off the Mac to get back into it), as well as lag, then I'd avoid Pascal cards and NVIDIA's web driver and go with a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB.

Will this card, under Windows, recognize full PCIe 2.0 instead of 1.0? (I worry about buying yet another non-flashed card.) Also, does the card come with necessary cables, or are there extra cables I'd need to purchase?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.