Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Do any of you guys know where I can put in an order for the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB? I can’t even find a place to put in a preorder. Somewhere other than Ebay for 2x the original price. :)
I think the link to the Amazon UK pre-order has been posted about 100 times :D
If you’re in the EU then this is your best bet. If in US I can’t help you I’m afraid.

tnthlmnt

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2017
While I’m waiting for prices to get back to normal I installed a FirePro W7000. Works right out of the box in 10.12.6. Only thing is I get an error when I try and check PCI under System Report. Graphics/Displays shows the card but I cannot see any of my PCI info. Is that something I should be worried about?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: devon807

krishnaM

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
While I’m waiting for prices to get back to normal I installed a FirePro W7000. Works right out of the box in 10.12.6. Only thing is I get an error when I try and check PCI under System Report. Graphics/Displays shows the card but I cannot see any of my PCI info. Is that something I should be worried about?

Thanks in advance!

That's 100% normal

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Get your pre-orders in! This price is nuts.

UPDATE: It would seem like you need an Amazon Business account to take advantage of this pricing. Amazon Business exclusive pricing supposedly. Weird.
If you view the item under a normal consumer account it shows as unavailable.

Attachments

• rx580.png
    rx580.png
    232.3 KB · Views: 510
  • rx580.jpeg
    rx580.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:

devon807

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2014
Virginia

Thanks in advance!
Good to know that it actually works!

Mattww

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008

UPDATE: It would seem like you need an Amazon Business account to take advantage of this pricing. Amazon Business exclusive pricing supposedly. Weird.

I checked and my pre-order has dropped down in price when looking at the order details section but at the time it didn't come up in the store when I did a fresh search. To be honest I'm not sure these will ever appear now as I've yet to even get an estimate on a delivery time, my guess is I'll get an email eventually saying they are cancelling the pre-order as they can't get them.

foen

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2017
Italy
Hi there I've just bought a cMP 4.1--->5.1 and I need an advice for a budget GPU instead the original one. I use only for photoshop/Lightroom and at least final cut/ iMovie. No game no windows.

pixelatedscraps

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2017
Hong Kong
Hi there I've just bought a cMP 4.1--->5.1 and I need an advice for a budget GPU instead the original one. I use only for photoshop/Lightroom and at least final cut/ iMovie. No game no windows.

Im very happy with my RX 560 2Gb, cheap and literally plug and play. Your choice if you want to keep the existing GPU in your cMP for the boot screen or not.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014

I think I am gonna have to wait a long while, until the prices naturally go down. :-/

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thank you ... they need a special firmware?will the Radeon 560 permits in the future more compatibility? Thanks

Yes, a customised Mac EFI firmware is required to show the boot screen. The firmware or even the method of creating the firmware is widely available in this forum. A little bit search will get you there.

RX560 of course is a much better card in terms of efficiency or functions (e.g. HDMI 2.0), however, impossible to have boot screen at this moment. More precisely, you can have boot screen, but then the card will crash in MacOS. That means practically cannot have boot screen and a working MacOS at the same time.

However, since quite a few Radeon cards have dual ROM design, I really don't know if possible to make one ROM with Mac EFI that's only for emergency use (e.g. Single user mode), and use the normal PC ROM for day to day ops.

Also,I don't know if a Mac EFI RX560 can with in Windows or not.

foen

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2017
Italy
Yes, a customised Mac EFI firmware is required to show the boot screen. The firmware or even the method of creating the firmware is widely available in this forum. A little bit search will get you there.

RX560 of course is a much better card in terms of efficiency or functions (e.g. HDMI 2.0), however, impossible to have boot screen at this moment. More precisely, you can have boot screen, but then the card will crash in MacOS. That means practically cannot have boot screen and a working MacOS at the same time.

However, since quite a few Radeon cards have dual ROM design, I really don't know if possible to make one ROM with Mac EFI that's only for emergency use (e.g. Single user mode), and use the normal PC ROM for day to day ops.

Also,I don't know if a Mac EFI RX560 can with in Windows or not.

Thank you . I believe that the r560 4gb could be a honest deal for my purposes . I don't looking for a drain power gpu and I don't need high end performances

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thank you . I believe that the r560 4gb could be a honest deal for my purposes . I don't looking for a drain power gpu and I don't need high end performances

I agree, expect no one knows if Apple will keep properly support the RX560. RX580 is safe because it's actually inside the developer kit. On the other hand RX560 can work on flawlessly and Apple suddenly drop it's support on the next update.

If you happy to go without boot screen (strongly suggest that you keep the EFI GPU in a safe place, you may need it in future), then RX560 is a sensible choice. I prefer the 580 more, but if you can't wait, the price now is not worth.

foen

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2017
Italy
I agree, expect no one knows if Apple will keep properly support the RX560. RX580 is safe because it's actually inside the developer kit. On the other hand RX560 can work on flawlessly and Apple suddenly drop it's support on the next update.

If you happy to go without boot screen (strongly suggest that you keep the EFI GPU in a safe place, you may need it in future), then RX560 is a sensible choice. I prefer the 580 more, but if you can't wait, the price now is not worth.
No boot screen ain't a issue for me. I could hang on and save money to buy a 580 instead a 560 waiting lower price. A 580 def could be the finest solution.

tnthlmnt

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2017
That's 100% normal

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

Just updated to High Sierra, (with the original GT 120). Went very smooth and I'm happy to say the W7000 is working perfectly so far! I can now also see all the PCI info!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Awesome! Thanks for the info!

Just updated to High Sierra, (with the original GT 120). Went very smooth and I'm happy to say the W7000 is working perfectly so far! I can now also see all the PCI info!

Yes, High Sierra fixed that PCI info error.

henricius

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2017
Sweden
I am also into buying a new card for my MacPro 5.1. I am using MacOs 10.12.6.

I have understood that a safe bet is the Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse but will it matter if I buy a ASUS Radeon RX 580 8GB STRIX GAMING OC instead? I have problems finding the first but the second is available.

devon807

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2014
Virginia
I am also into buying a new card for my MacPro 5.1. I am using MacOs 10.12.6.

I have understood that a safe bet is the Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse but will it matter if I buy a ASUS Radeon RX 580 8GB STRIX GAMING OC instead? I have problems finding the first but the second is available.
The Pulse is the most ideal card, but almost any RX 580 should work in the cMP with the exception of maybe the XFX (I think)

Reactions: h9826790

Razzerman

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Hello folks,

I've been trying to decide between a gtx 1060 6gb card and an rx 580 4gb card for my flashed 4,1, running 10.12.6 . I 've read people have had issues/glitches with the 1060, and was wondering if anyone know if these issues have been resolved. I'm leaning towards to 1060 as it has lower power requirements.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Razzerman

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Hello folks,

I've been trying to decide between a gtx 1060 6gb card and an rx 580 4gb card for my flashed 4,1, running 10.12.6 . I 've read people have had issues/glitches with the 1060, and was wondering if anyone know if these issues have been resolved. I'm leaning towards to 1060 as it has lower power requirements.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Razzerman
Go RX 580.
The supplemental update debacle just highlights what a pain it is to run a Mac Pro with the 10xx series, glitches aside.

Reactions: h9826790
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.