Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Will this card, under Windows, recognize full PCIe 2.0 instead of 1.0? (I worry about buying yet another non-flashed card.) Also, does the card come with necessary cables, or are there extra cables I'd need to purchase?

I don't think this card will run at PCIe 2.0 inside cMP (in any OS). This card is so special just because able to identify correctly under MacOS. In fact, it's quite cosmetic, I can't see this card will perform differently then any other RX580 (yet).

Since it's just a PC card, Sapphire has no intention to make this card for cMP. Therefore, I bet there is no dual mini 6pin to single 8pin cable as well. You may need to get it by yourself.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
I don't think this card will run at PCIe 2.0 inside cMP (in any OS). This card is so special just because able to identify correctly under MacOS. In fact, it's quite cosmetic, I can't see this card will perform differently then any other RX580 (yet).

Since it's just a PC card, Sapphire has no intention to make this card for cMP. Therefore, I bet there is no dual mini 6pin to single 8pin cable as well. You may need to get it by yourself.

Ah, I see - thanks for clarifying. See, if the GTX 1070 worked well in OSX, I'd get a flashed one from MacVidCards and enjoy PCIe 2.0 support under Windows; but, alas, I've heard of users have issues with theirs. I mean, getting the RX 580 would help my OSX experience as well, but it would certainly not change my Windows experience.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
I wonder if it would be worth waiting for the AMD Radeon RX Vega 56. It's gonna cost the same as the RX 580 currently costs and be a much better performer. Of course, there's no knowing yet that this card will work fine within a classic Mac Pro.

juliancs

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
I'd like to know about the Sapphire vs MSI/other brands too, as well as PowerMac's Q about being stuck on PCIe 1.0. Does that restrict the card's performance much?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I'd like to know about the Sapphire vs MSI/other brands too, as well as PowerMac's Q about being stuck on PCIe 1.0. Does that restrict the card's performance much?

For AMD card, don't worry too much, they are generally not powerful enough to saturate a PCIe 1.1 x16 connection (under normal use, including video editing, etc) :D

Seriously, usually only few % difference in real world (benchmark), and can't feel any difference without any help from instrument / indicator. For the upcoming Vega 64, may can go up to 15-20% under extreme condition, but I don't think it's that important. In my own test, a 7950 can hardly saturate a PCIe 2.0 X4 connection (equivalent to PCIe 1,1 x8), so, I suspect even a card that has double performance (in real world), it should still OK with a PCIe 1.1 x16 connection.

Reactions: Squuiid

juliancs

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
For AMD card, don't worry too much, they are generally not powerful enough to saturate a PCIe 1.1 x16 connection (under normal use, including video editing, etc) :D

Seriously, usually only few % difference in real world (benchmark), and can't feel any difference without any help from instrument / indicator. For the upcoming Vega 64, may can go up to 15-20% under extreme condition, but I don't think it's that important. In my own test, a 7950 can hardly saturate a PCIe 2.0 X4 connection (equivalent to PCIe 1,1 x8), so, I suspect even a card that has double performance (in real world), it should still OK with a PCIe 1.1 x16 connection.

Thanks, good to know. I always find it difficult to figure out what is going to affect me real-world. Some earlier posts indicate the RX580 is only a minor improvement over the GTX 680, which seems odd to me as looking at benchmarks for the two the 580 outperforms it by miles. Is this minor improvement in OSX only, or in bootcamp too?

corbuso

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
Just jumped now on the thread, which is of high interest to me, at the 560 and 580 would be a marked boost from my native 5770. Just to confirm, these Sapphire will work on internal power only, correct?

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Just jumped now on the thread, which is of high interest to me, at the 560 and 580 would be a marked boost from my native 5770. Just to confirm, these Sapphire will work on internal power only, correct?

Yes the RX 580 needs max. 185 Watt, no problem for Mac Pro.

Reactions: corbuso

corbuso

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
Thanks Synchro3. I will order then the 580 which will certainly be a nice upgrade from the 5770!

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
From personal experience the nvidia cards are great. Drivers are stable and installation is easy. You don't have to flash them and they will work fine. You just need to keep your original low end card around for system and driver updates. Or do what I did, I installed a GT120 for one monitor that I use for firmware boot and driver updates.

The GTX980ti is a great card but it takes a ton of power and runs really hot. I traded it off for a GTX1080 which is a dream. Uses a single 8 pin connector, which the mac pro can easily run. Temps are much cooler and the fans are happier. If I was to recommend, its hands down GTX1080/1070 all the way.

+1 on this ^

I'm running two 1080 TI's with the web drivers (4 flavors so far) and have had no issues. No black screens waking from sleep, no black screens waking up the display, no screen glitches or flickers. Just a beautiful solid display. I'm on the latest driver but I've also used the last three available. Zero issues.

Capture.PNG

Reactions: Synchro3

corbuso

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
Well, contacted a swiss retailer selling the Sapphire 580. Not good news. Due to bit coin mining, the availability and pricing of the 580 and all other cards from the manufacturer are unknown :-(

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Well, contacted a swiss retailer selling the Sapphire 580. Not good news. Due to bit coin mining, the availability and pricing of the 580 and all other cards from the manufacturer are unknown :-(
I think patience is the key here. I've got one on order, who's original delivery dated was somewhere in December, but has since recently moved to late September. Whether that holds true remains to be seen, but it does give the impression that stock is coming.

My advice would be to look for a good deal somewhere, put one on order, and forget about graphics cards until it arrives. I looked at many places and eventually got a deal in the Netherlands, where I live. However high on my list was ordering through amazon.co.uk, especially given the weak Pound at the moment.

corbuso

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2010
I think patience is the key here. I've got one on order, who's original delivery dated was somewhere in December, but has since recently moved to late September. Whether that holds true remains to be seen, but it does give the impression that stock is coming.

My advice would be to look for a good deal somewhere, put one on order, and forget about graphics cards until it arrives. I looked at many places and eventually got a deal in the Netherlands, where I live. However high on my list was ordering through amazon.co.uk, especially given the weak Pound at the moment.

pre-ordered it yesterday via Amazaon.co.uk. Was lucky, as the price increased from £220 to £349 today..
Will continue using my mac bookpros with my 4K screen until then ...

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
pre-ordered it yesterday via Amazaon.co.uk. Was lucky, as the price increased from £220 to £349 today..
Will continue using my mac bookpros with my 4K screen until then ...
Down to £246 now. Yoyo price!

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I am wondering if we can try to get a Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB and flash the PULSE ROM onto it.

The Nitro+ has dual rom design, therefore, practically fail safe.

And they are both made by Sapphire, both are 580, both has 8GB RAM. IMO, PULSE is a cut down version of the NITRO+. Therefore, the PULSE ROM most likely can works fine on a NITRO+ (but may not be other way around). Since we know that MacOS just recognise the PULSE 580 by it's model number, and this number is actually stored inside the ROM. I really believe it is possible to make the NITRO+ become a "Mac Edition" card.

According to spec, the Nitro+ is a better card. It has some more features, e.g. NITRO Quick Connect system, NITRO Glow RGB LED, NITRO CoolTech, NITRO Free Flow, Intelligent Fan Control, etc. It is quieter than Pulse, it has higher clock speed, and its MSRP is $20 higher than the PULSE.

Is there anyone has the Nitro+ on hand now? (Or can get one with full refund policy in case doesn't work). Also, is there anyone can upload the PULSE ROM for the test?

Nitro+ is available now in some local store in my city, and strangely that's cheaper than the PULSE as well. If this work, why we need to wait? And why not pay less to get a better card that has better VRM cooling, dual ROM design (I don't really care about the RGB LED, and I don't expect they can work properly after flash anyway), and available now.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
I am wondering if we can try to get a Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB and flash the PULSE ROM onto it.

The Nitro+ has dual rom design, therefore, practically fail safe.

And they are both made by Sapphire, both are 580, both has 8GB RAM. IMO, PULSE is a cut down version of the NITRO+. Therefore, the PULSE ROM most likely can works fine on a NITRO+ (but may not be other way around). Since we know that MacOS just recognise the PULSE 580 by it's model number, and this number is actually stored inside the ROM. I really believe it is possible to make the NITRO+ become a "Mac Edition" card.

According to spec, the Nitro+ is a better card. It has some more features, e.g. NITRO Quick Connect system, NITRO Glow RGB LED, NITRO CoolTech, NITRO Free Flow, Intelligent Fan Control, etc. It is quieter than Pulse, it has higher clock speed, and its MSRP is $20 higher than the PULSE.

Is there anyone has the Nitro+ on hand now? (Or can get one with full refund policy in case doesn't work). Also, is there anyone can upload the PULSE ROM for the test?

Nitro+ is available now in some local store in my city, and strangely that's cheaper than the PULSE as well. If this work, why we need to wait? And why not pay less to get a better card that has better VRM cooling, dual ROM design (I don't really care about the RGB LED, and I don't expect they can work properly after flash anyway), and available now.
Here are the ROMs:
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?manufacturer=Sapphire&model=RX+580

NOTE: There are two Pulse BIOS files. One handles Hynix GDDR5 and the other does both Hynix and Samsung. I would go with the latter as a precaution. (Both are supported device IDs in High Sierra.)

These two appear to be the most similar.
RX 580 8 GB (Pulse)
RX 580 8 GB (Nitro+)

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Here are the ROMs:
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?manufacturer=Sapphire&model=RX+580

NOTE: There are two Pulse BIOS files. One handles Hynix GDDR5 and the other does both Hynix and Samsung. I would go with the latter as a precaution. (Both are supported device IDs in High Sierra.)

These two appear to be the most similar.
RX 580 8 GB (Pulse)
RX 580 8 GB (Nitro+)

Not sure if it can work. I just study some mining forum. It seems quite a few guys have difficulties when try to flash other ROMs, because the ATI Flasher won't allow them to flash the card that with a ROM which has different system system ID / Part # etc.

Hopefully someone here with the Nitro+ can test the theory.

tnthlmnt

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2017
Thanks! I'll try and hold out 'til these prices settle. Looks to be at least twice the performance of the 560. Would be a great card!

devon807

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2014
Virginia
Thanks! I'll try and hold out 'til these prices settle. Looks to be at least twice the performance of the 560. Would be a great card!
Almost 3x actually! Two RX 560's perform the same as a RX 570! Just RMA'd mine, and will be ordering a RX 580 soon.

m3rob

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2010
Just waiting for my returns to ship, then process. Then it will be time to order the beast!

Do any of you guys know where I can put in an order for the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB? I can’t even find a place to put in a preorder. Somewhere other than Ebay for 2x the original price. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.