Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
do they still use ****y TN 1400x900 screens in the Air?

at the very least make it an IPS panel but really should be a 1080p screen
force touch.
new usb-c ports

I am not interested in decreasing the bezel if it means reduction of battery size.

currently using a 2012 13" air but would upgrade instantly
[doublepost=1476746759][/doublepost]
MacBook Air is dead when new MacBook Pros get a new design. I love mine. But my next machine will probably be the new 13 inch MacBook Pro.

no chance with that oled function bar the pros will rise in price again

Reactions: onelessthing

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
I think they will probably decrease the bezel to get a 14" MBA with FHD in the 13" form factor. It will have Kaby Lake.
It is likely to have 4 usbC/TB3 ports and SD card. It is not going to have magsafe in the normal sense.
Instead of magsafe, there will be detachable usbC/TB3 cables either from apple or third parties.

There will be a small chance that 16GB will be standard for the i7 model, assuming that the MBP can get more than 16GB in the better models.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
I think they will probably decrease the bezel to get a 14" MBA with FHD in the 13" form factor. It will have Kaby Lake.
It is likely to have 4 usbC/TB3 ports and SD card. It is not going to have magsafe in the normal sense.
Instead of magsafe, there will be detachable usbC/TB3 cables either from apple or third parties.

There will be a small chance that 16GB will be standard for the i7 model, assuming that the MBP can get more than 16GB in the better models.

lol i think you are dreaming there

Reactions: Jayderek

Woofypawz

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2016
Pennsylvania
Here's my take:

Apple will eliminate the 11" MBA. The 13" will function as an entry level experiment - and it will be the first Mac to feature an A series Apple chip, along with TB3, USB-C, and a couple of existing ports to ease the pain.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Regarding the front page news of a USB-C MacBook Air.

If Apple does update it (a big if, lets be honest..) - are we expecting a redesign? I have not heard a single word about it. On the other hand, I can't see them going through the hassle of changing its I/O (removing MagSafe, adding USB-C, perhaps even removing the SD-port) and then leaving everything else the same way as it has been for the last 7 years. It would make no sense.

I see two possible scenarios:

1. There is no 13" MBA with USB-C coming. The line-up will consist of the old 13" MBA, 12" rMB, and the new 13/15" rMBP. The rumors got it all wrong, the 13" MBA with USB-C is actually the same device as the 13" rMBP.

...OR

2. There is a brand new 13" rMB coming, featuring USB-C only.

What do you think?

Tivrapasit

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2013
ok, so my version is quite close:

1 Apple drops the 11’ MBA

2 They either have a "small" (meaning no real design change or new screen) upgrade for the 13’ MBA with skylake or kaby lake, two TB3 USB C ports (plus audio jack), OR a new 13’ rMB with kaby lake, two TB3 USB C ports (plus audio jack). Question remains if this new laptop would use Y or U series chips,

In the first case the new MBA wouldn't stay for long and relatively soon be replaced by a 13' rMB once they can be produced cheaply enough.
In the second case the current 13' MBA would be kept as an entry level model.

3 New MBP, with skylake, 4 TB3 USB C ports plus all the other rumors

I also think they definitely should start selling iPhones and iPads with the option of a USB C instead of A charger. It seems very weird to sell devices you can’t charge with any new Apple laptop out of the box.

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Here's my take:

Apple will eliminate the 11" MBA. The 13" will function as an entry level experiment - and it will be the first Mac to feature an A series Apple chip, along with TB3, USB-C, and a couple of existing ports to ease the pain.

Now who's dreaming here ? ARM can't be anywhere near fast enough as the intel x86 chips, and it wouldn't run windows either.
A series is for sluggish mobile devices, and does not have the power to run fast enough, even the core M processors are better than the best of A series.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I think Apple will only update the Macbook Pros this time around. They will finally get rid of the 2012 13" Macbook Pro with DVD drive.

They might give a minor spec-bump to the Macbook Airs, maybe. They will likely drop the prices a bit more, and stop updating them. They will remain as the low-cost option to drive customers into the stores. Also they will keep them around for the education market to compete with Chromebooks. I think at $799 and $899, they can keep selling them for a few more years easily.

Next spring, they will spec-bump the retina Macbook again, dropping the price a bit. The Macbook Air will not be eliminated until Apple is able to get the retina Macbook down to starting at $999. Most likely this would accompany a minor hardware revision.

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 11, 2016
?

Attachments

• IMG_1619.JPG
    IMG_1619.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 170

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Am I the only one who finds it sad that they remove the 11" MBA ?

They are compact, light, reliable, efficient and cheap machines, ideal for travel, or a s a second machine.

Maybe the 12" rMB will get there one day (though even then requiring to carry more dongles), but it is not there yet. It is compact and light, sure. Reliable, not so sure, I see a lot of reports of very early keyboards or battery wear (I see people mentioning less than 90% battery health remaining within months; my 18 months old 11" MBA is at 99% right now). Efficient, sure. Cheap, definitely not!

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I have to admit it's getting tough to stay with macs with these new generation windows laptops offering more bang for the buck
Define "bang for the buck."
Sure, if you only look at mere specs, Apple will always be less "bang for the buck."
However, I am still partial to Apple. Why? International warranty. When my US Macbooks had problems, I can drop to any Apple stores around the world and get support. Can't say the same thing for the other OEMs (and even then, they don't have "stores" to go to, you have to find their service center).

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Am I the only one who finds it sad that they remove the 11" MBA ?

I doubt that. But personally, doesn't matter much to me anymore, I've got mine. :) When it needs replacing, I will move on to the next big thing (or small thing). Battery life is still excellent on my 11" MBA that I bought in July 2013, 276 cycles and only slightly less run time than when it was new. I'm sure it can continue to serve as my primary machine for quite some time, it's all I need. I have a mini that's dedicated to video editing, and that will be the next Mac that I replace.

Will be interesting to see how quickly the 11" MBA sells out if Apple discontinues it. If you want one, better be prepared to pull the trigger shortly after the announcement IMO.

Macgyver1

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2016
I doubt that. But personally, doesn't matter much to me anymore, I've got mine. :) When it needs replacing, I will move on to the next big thing (or small thing). Battery life is still excellent on my 11" MBA that I bought in July 2013, 276 cycles and only slightly less run time than when it was new. I'm sure it can continue to serve as my primary machine for quite some time, it's all I need. I have a mini that's dedicated to video editing, and that will be the next Mac that I replace.

Will be interesting to see how quickly the 11" MBA sells out if Apple discontinues it. If you want one, better be prepared to pull the trigger shortly after the announcement IMO.

So...your sayin' I should bring a firearm into an Apple Store if I want to order a customized MacBook Air 11; after the possible announcement of discontinuation? Hmmm, that just might work, I like the way you think.

Just kidding!

Sorry for the crude humour, cruzin the forum whilst intoxificated, again. Only had one drink, it's lasted twenty years.

Cheers

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Just got my early 2016 MBA about an hour ago and don't care of wishing or predicting right now except for maybe Retina. But seeing the 12 MB from last year has a weaker Intel chip, less ports, and battery life was inefficient in some testing (promised 9h, gets half in some testing), I guess wishing for Retina is no big deal if it kills battery life.

The current MBA is as close to perfect for me. I don't lose the ports and I now have one 2TB and one 1TB external hard drive to connect it with. I also have an SD adapter for some transfers from a micro SD card. Not wishing for touchscreen because Apple will cannibalize iPad sales and who would want to smudge the screen like that? Don't really care for that e-ink touch controls.

MBA (Early 2016)
+ Great battery life (12h-13h)
+ Same great design
+ "13 is my bare minimum
+ Has all the ports I need
+ Fast transfer speeds
+ Loud external speakers
+ $850 this week at Best Buy for the 128gb/8gb

About 130+ HD movies are being downloaded right now from two of my Androids using Flud and from YIFY movies. Spring 2016 MBA is about as efficient with price, specs, and battery life.

Sometimes newer isn't always better. Sometimes the best for your needs is already in front of you.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Now who's dreaming here ? ARM can't be anywhere near fast enough as the intel x86 chips, and it wouldn't run windows either.
A series is for sluggish mobile devices, and does not have the power to run fast enough, even the core M processors are better than the best of A series.
Huh? Have you seen the benchmarks on the A10? It's an absolute beast.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I'll take IPS 1080p and a smaller bezels. Keep the MagSafe, sd card slot and one "regular" usb port.
Dream machine...
I'm not married to the MagSafe. For me, the SD slot is desired, but not a deal killer. The deal killer would be the keyboard. I don't think I can get used to the rMB keyboard, unless they lowered the "ridges" so that the keys aren't flush with the metal parts. I need to be able to feel the gaps between the keys.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I found this rumor about the new MBP curious…. https://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/19/apple-announces-october-27th-mac-centric-event/

"A thinner, lighter body is expected, with a wider, pressure-sensitive trackpad and a flatter MacBook-style keyboard with the same butterfly key mechanism."
Yeah, I know. This is what's scaring me about the new MBP and potentially a new MBA. I don't think the short key travel is what I don't like. I think it's that the keys are flush with the metal frame. I can't feel where one key ends and the other begins.

My the MBA and MBP keys stick up from the chassis and you can feel the separation of the individual keys. On the rMB, the keys are flush with the chassis, and at least for me, I can't easily feel the individual keys. It's like typing on a touch screen.

Reactions: old-wiz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.