Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ECJ

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2006
Memphis, TN
My predictions for the MBA replacement is:

1. Called 13" MacBook
2. 13-17 watts for CPU
3. 3 USB-C ports, headphone jack
4. Retina screen
5. Sadly still only 8GB ram
6. 256GB to 1TB SSD option
7. Drops 11" model

I'm hoping a decent upgrade to the 13 MBA. I have a maxed out 2015 rMBP 15", and just tired of the weight and size. Also I only use maybe 30-40% of its power on a daily basis. I severely over bought based on my needs. If this MBA replacement does not have a retina screen, I'll have to go to the 13" rMBP. There would be no excuse if Apple put a non retina screen on a 2016 redesigned laptop.

My fingers are crossed.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
My predictions for the MBA replacement is:

1. Called 13" MacBook
2. 13-17 watts for CPU
3. 3 USB-C ports, headphone jack
4. Retina screen
5. Sadly still only 8GB ram
6. 256GB to 1TB SSD option
7. Drops 11" model

I'm hoping a decent upgrade to the 13 MBA. I have a maxed out 2015 rMBP 15", and just tired of the weight and size. Also I only use maybe 30-40% of its power on a daily basis. I severely over bought based on my needs. If this MBA replacement does not have a retina screen, I'll have to go to the 13" rMBP. There would be no excuse if Apple put a non retina screen on a 2016 redesigned laptop.

My fingers are crossed.

It'll have retina, almost certainly.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
So if I am understanding the rumor correct, it seems like we will have macs in the follow order:

Entry level MacBook (current 12" MacBooks)
Macbook Air (13", basically more powerful MacBook)
Macbook Pro (13" and 15" redesign)

If that is the case, the pro's are going to see a big price hike IMO.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Unfortunately the most recent rumors do imply that Apple will kill the MacBook Air and replace it with a larger MacBook. Also looking like they could kill the Mac Mini.

Great, these are my two favorite Macs. :(

I just don't think they can sell "old" airs with that screen in 2016. I really think their line up is going to be pricey.

$1299 MacBook
$1599 Air
$1799+ pros

The only other option is the MacBook slides into the $999 price and the air goes to $1299, but this is apple. I fully expect my first prediction. 15" pros will be right at $2300 for a base model.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I just don't think they can sell "old" airs with that screen in 2016. I really think their line up is going to be pricey.

$1299 MacBook
$1599 Air
$1799+ pros

The only other option is the MacBook slides into the $999 price and the air goes to $1299, but this is apple. I fully expect my first prediction. 15" pros will be right at $2300 for a base model.

Apple must have a laptop option at $899 or $999, or even less. For the education market and to compete with Google Chromebooks, they must have at least one low-cost model. This wouldn't be the first time Apple has kept a last-gen model around for the education market. Education purchasers don't really care about screen quality anyway.

For this reason alone, I think the current 13" Air, or something similar to it, will stick around for a while, at least until they can get the new retina Macbook down to the same price-point.

Reactions: QCassidy352

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Apple must have a laptop option at $899 or $999, or even less. For the education market and to compete with Google Chromebooks, they must have at least one low-cost model. This wouldn't be the first time Apple has kept a last-gen model around for the education market. Education purchasers don't really care about screen quality anyway.

For this reason alone, I think the current 13" Air, or something similar to it, will stick around for a while, at least until they can get the new retina Macbook down to the same price-point.

That is a really good point, but they may also realize they can push the price point of the entry level up without hurting sales. I really believe a person looking at a $999 mac will stretch the budget to whatever the entry level model is. Oddly enough, you see more pros in higher education.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
That is a really good point, but they may also realize they can push the price point of the entry level up without hurting sales. I really believe a person looking at a $999 mac will stretch the budget to whatever the entry level model is. Oddly enough, you see more pros in higher education.

Perhaps that true in higher education, where budgets for both students and institutions tend to be higher.

I'm talking about K-12 public schools though. They are very cost-conscious. While sales of Apple computers there are down, and sales of Chromebooks there are way up, this has been historically an important and strong market for Apple. Arguably, the reason Macs are so popular among college students is precisely because Macs were so popular in public K-12 schools during the 1990s and 2000s. Surely there are other reasons for the college student popularity (iPod/iPhone tie-in, fashion, etc.). Nevertheless, the "get 'em while they're young" strategy is a valid one.

In 2005, Apple sold the eMac for $799 targetted at education customers.
In 2013, Apple sold an education-only iMac for $1099.
I believe the "current" 2012 Macbook Pro 13" non-retina is targeted at the education market for $1099. However, from what I have read, those schools still buying Macs have prefered the $999 13" Macbook Air base model instead. As I mentioned above, Google is really taking over this market though with <$500 Chromebooks. While Macbooks can certainly offer more value, Apple needs to hit the lowest price-point possible for this market.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Perhaps that true in higher education, where budgets for both students and institutions tend to be higher.

I'm talking about K-12 public schools though. They are very cost-conscious. While sales of Apple computers there are down, and sales of Chromebooks there are way up, this has been historically an important and strong market for Apple. Arguably, the reason Macs are so popular among college students is precisely because Macs were so popular in public K-12 schools during the 1990s and 2000s. Surely there are other reasons for the college student popularity (iPod/iPhone tie-in, fashion, etc.). Nevertheless, the "get 'em while they're young" strategy is a valid one.

In 2005, Apple sold the eMac for $799 targetted at education customers.
In 2013, Apple sold an education-only iMac for $1099.
I believe the "current" 2012 Macbook Pro 13" non-retina is targeted at the education market for $1099. However, from what I have read, those schools still buying Macs have prefered the $999 13" Macbook Air base model instead. As I mentioned above, Google is really taking over this market though with <$500 Chromebooks. While Macbooks can certainly offer more value, Apple needs to hit the lowest price-point possible for this market.

I honestly did not know macs were that common in K-12

Reactions: Saturn1217

in2tech

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
I think that they drop the 11" because they have the 12" MacBook. Sorry if you love the 11" MacBook Air. I am really, really hoping they keep the 13" i5 model with the basic model, 128 gb, 8 gb ram, same display, same ports, etc... and then come out with a brand new retina version for all the people that want it. I just don't want to see the i5 and i7 go away as I do not want the M processor or whatever it is called. It's just a mind thing with me as I feel the i5 and i7 are better.

I use my MacBook Air for coding, and basic things. Maybe an occasional Mac game, (American Trucking anyone) but not often at all. When they hit the under $1,000 price point, think Best Buy sales at $849.00 one in awhile, family members began to look at them and purchase them. And when I tell them it doesn't have retina, most don't know what i mean. Think just normal family member users, me being one as I don't care about retina myself.

But sadly I think it may not make it past October 27th, but hope I am wrong. But won't be surprised if they completely drop the MacBook Air line, but I hope not!

Hey I just looked at the Mac laptop lineup and they still have the MacBook Pro with the 5400 rpm hard drive, which I expect to be dropped. Now I feel I have a .000000001% chance the old 13" MBA will slide into the 11" MBA slot on the page....NOT!

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I think that they drop the 11" because they have the 12" MacBook. Sorry if you love the 11" MacBook Air. I am really, really hoping they keep the 13" i5 model with the basic model, 128 gb, 8 gb ram, same display, same ports, etc... and then come out with a brand new retina version for all the people that want it. I just don't want to see the i5 and i7 go away as I do not want the M processor or whatever it is called. It's just a mind thing with me as I feel the i5 and i7 are better.

I use my MacBook Air for coding, and basic things. Maybe an occasional Mac game, (American Trucking anyone) but not often at all. When they hit the under $1,000 price point, think Best Buy sales at $849.00 one in awhile, family members began to look at them and purchase them. And when I tell them it doesn't have retina, most don't know what i mean. Think just normal family member users, me being one as I don't care about retina myself.

But sadly I think it may not make it past October 27th, but hope I am wrong. But won't be surprised if they completely drop the MacBook Air line, but I hope not!

Hey I just looked at the Mac laptop lineup and they still have the MacBook Pro with the 5400 rpm hard drive, which I expect to be dropped. Now I feel I have a .000000001% chance the old 13" MBA will slide into the 11" MBA slot on the page....NOT!

My guess is the 13" Air would have the i5/i7 and will be the only thing that distinguishes it from the current 12" MacBook. It will be priced right between the MacBook and the Pro (also causing the Pros to be more expensive).

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
mba 11" i7 with 1TB and a good non-retina antiglare screen would be perfect for me (but that's just me, unfortunately)

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
13 inch is currently $999. 11 inch is 900

I expect the next version to be $1,000 base or $900. Just seems insane for it to be late 2016 and not have retina screen !!! If they want Market share why not just make a weaker 13 inch Air at $800 and the specs are what separate the Air & the Retina MacBook. An extra $300+ bucks for a retina screen seems like a d-bag move. Get mark share a $800-850 13 inch would be awesome + thats what Best Buy sells them for most the time

I hate the MacBook keyboard that is why I haven't upgraded my 2013 Macbook Air prob the best laptop I ever had. Battery life is still 12+ hours

For me its either a new MacBook Air or Pro. I'd love a retina screen but battery life is more important but when I use my wifes pro.... it makes mine look awful

cincygolfgrrl

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
Somewhere In Time
They'll keep it around as the entry level MacBook, with terrible specs for 2016/2017. They'll kill it late 2017 or 2018 when people finally stop buying it.

The Wirecutter still lists the 13" MBA as the best Mac Laptop (subject to tomorrow's announcements). The MBA performs every task at a high level except for maybe some processes on pro apps. It's the one laptop anyone who wants to use a Mac can purchase at a reasonable price and have it last for years. Every rumor I've ever heard is that it's still Apple's best selling laptop. Why in the hell would they kill it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tork

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Just watched the Apple event. Apparently, the rumored "new 13" MacBook Air" was actually a cheaper version (if you consider $1500 for the base 8gb/256gb version cheap) of the new MacBook Pro with function keys and no touch strip, and two USB-C ports instead of 4. If I understood correctly, they will continue to sell the MacBook Air as is, but that didn't seem too clear….

So all the new machines are part of the MacBook Pro line.

BarcelonaPaul

Suspended
Jul 1, 2015
The Wirecutter still lists the 13" MBA as the best Mac Laptop (subject to tomorrow's announcements). The MBA performs every task at a high level except for maybe some processes on pro apps. It's the one laptop anyone who wants to use a Mac can purchase at a reasonable price and have it last for years. Every rumor I've ever heard is that it's still Apple's best selling laptop. Why in the hell would they kill it?

To me, the Air looked so wrong. It was the silver bezels that just seemed so year 2000. I love Macs and i've used them for 26 years but I just can't find love for the MacBook Air.

dingclancy23

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2015
The Macbook Air might probably go down as the best laptop ever made for its time. It had a 12 hour battery life, and some people can even push it to 14 hours. These new laptops won't ever sniff that number, and if I just want a light laptop, for normal tasks, it is the MBA that is still the best laptop for most people, retina or not.

The MBA battery life was that good. RIP.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
They showed the new 13" entry level MBP next to a MBA and bragged about how much smaller and lighter it was, how much more powerful, how much better the screen is. Didn't brag that it is 50% more expensive though. ;)

IIRC, when they first put the MBA next to the MBP, he said "lots of people love the MacBook Air and we'll still offer it" or something to that effect, but I wasn't paying very close attention.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.