Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Which processor did you have before? Since the m3 has pretty low performance compared to the m5 and m7. Also, I wonder if you also got a defective model or if all retina MacBooks have the reboot issue. I'm planning to buy one and if mine does the same thing would I have to exchange it...
I haven't had this issue at all.

CYKBC

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2014
Bought a new 16 m3. Doesn't feel snappy using office applications. Ordered an m7. Wish apple stocked all units. Waiting game.

ajpuciat

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2015
Bought a new 16 m3. Doesn't feel snappy using office applications. Ordered an m7. Wish apple stocked all units. Waiting game.
I've got an m5 and have been using some fairly large excel sheets / powerpoints and haven't noticed a bit of slowdown. Interestingly the only place I have seen anything less than snappy is Amazon.com

askep3

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
California, US
I haven't had this issue at all.
So it seems that only some people have this issue, as most other people online haven't said anything about this. If I buy a MacBook, I hope there's a way to know if I should return it or not. Maybe it has something to do with the silicon and how some are worse than others...
[doublepost=1469066563][/doublepost]
I'm hoping to buy an m7 too, since the m3 is pretty weak compared to the others. It's odd that you experienced a bit of slowdown, just like a few other people here, but none of the large review websites said anything. Maybe they were expecting an underpowered device and thought the slow speeds were normal?

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
So it seems that only some people have this issue, as most other people online haven't said anything about this. If I buy a MacBook, I hope there's a way to know if I should return it or not. Maybe it has something to do with the silicon and how some are worse than others...
[doublepost=1469066563][/doublepost]
I'm hoping to buy an m7 too, since the m3 is pretty weak compared to the others. It's odd that you experienced a bit of slowdown, just like a few other people here, but none of the large review websites said anything. Maybe they were expecting an underpowered device and thought the slow speeds were normal?
Update on the rebooting, so far i've had my m7 model since monday and have not experienced it once. The m5 model i had did it like 4 times in the week i had it. It could be the m5 model i had was just a dud, it felt pretty slow and sluggish when compared to my m7 model ,even compared to my 2011 MBA. Much happier with the new one.

askep3

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
California, US
The reboot thing happened to me as well, three times.
You leave it with the lid closed, and when you come back it is warm. Once you open the lid and connect the power, a kernel panic screen appears and it reboots.

I thought it was related to Parallels, but two weeks ago it happened also without Parallels running.

Let's see how it get worse.

Which model do you have, the m5?
[doublepost=1469072391][/doublepost]
Update on the rebooting, so far i've had my m7 model since monday and have not experienced it once. The m5 model i had did it like 4 times in the week i had it. It could be the m5 model i had was just a dud, it felt pretty slow and sluggish when compared to my m7 model ,even compared to my 2011 MBA. Much happier with the new one.
I'm happy you got a good laptop! It seems that only people with the m5 have issues, since you, Liat, and maybe even Mollan have/had the m5 model and have experienced rebooting and slow performance.

askep3

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
California, US
Nope, the m3 :)
I installed Sierra PB1 and 2 and it's still performing very good. A few glitches due to the beta OS but it's perfectly usable. I'm not using the MBPr15 at home anymore, just for work.
You're saying it's still performing good? I thought you said it was rebooting when in sleep mode?
I asked if you had the m5 model because everyone else with those issues had the m5. You also had them with the m3 though. Looks like it doesn't matter which processor you have, there's a chance it will be a dud.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
You're saying it's still performing good? I thought you said it was rebooting when in sleep mode?
I asked if you had the m5 model because everyone else with those issues had the m5. You also had them with the m3 though. Looks like it doesn't matter which processor you have, there's a chance it will be a dud.
Well, just got my first reset while in sleep mode with my m7 model. Its got to be a bug in osx.

Can Inelli

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
Hey everyone,

I currently have a Late 2008 15 inch MBP 2,66. However I am sick of carrying it and also my battery is dead. So I always have to look for a place to plug it in.

It's really heavy and the machine is also getting slow. I actually want to wait for the new MacbookPro but I don't know if I can...

I really like the design of the new 12 inch Macbook. Light and sleek. I'm thinking of m7 version.
Is that machine faster than my Late 2008 MBP ? I looked for some comparisons but couldn't find.

Will I have any problems editing RAW format Nikon photos in Photoshop and Lightroom ?
I also edit some 1080-60 videos in Final Cut.
And some Word & Excel stuff for my Scientific Research Projects.

Do you think the new 12 inch Macbook will handle these tasks and perform better than my Late 2008 MBP ?
If so, then maybe I can use it for some time and then sell it and buy a new 15 inch MBP in 2017.

Waiting for your guidance.

Thanks !

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The MacBook should be noticeably faster than the 2008 MacBook Pro. 1080p editing should be fine.

10-Dee-Q

macrumors 6502a
hi, currently im using MBP 15" mid 2009 2.66 core 2 duo
i upgraded the hdd to 1tb and the ram to 8GB
anyway now it started to showw it's age, the screen has a blue vertical line.
so i want to change a new laptop as this is the only computer i have in the house.
i was thinking to wait for the new MacBook Pro 15" but it seems that i couldn't wait any longer as my MBP screen is showing the line, and the fans keeps rallting when the CPU in high load.

i normally use my MBP for browsing using safari with severals tabs open, maybe 10 to 15 tabs
and watching you tube, editing photo shop from my Sony A7II which produced 24MPixels Raw files, and also i'm planning to use it to edit some light videos when my first daughter born. and also some basic office stuff, excel, words.

no gaming at all.

i'm planning to get an external monitor though as the 12" in the macbook seems to small for me.

anyway, i'm thinking to get the m5 or the M7
which one is a better buy ?

in my country the differences is US $140

is the M7 worth it for my need ?

i know the proccesor is faster and the GPU is clocked a little bit faster, but for my task, will i benefit from it ?
and will the M7 run Hotter and consume more battery than the M5 ?

thank you so much.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
so i want to change a new laptop as this is the only computer i have in the house.
i was thinking to wait for the new MacBook Pro 15" but it seems that i couldn't wait any longer as my MBP screen is showing the line, and the fans keeps rallting when the CPU in high load.

i know the proccesor is faster and the GPU is clocked a little bit faster, but for my task, will i benefit from it ?

thank you so much.

For your use the the m5 should be fine.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

i normally use my MBP for browsing using safari with severals tabs open, maybe 10 to 15 tabs
and watching you tube, editing photo shop from my Sony A7II which produced 24MPixels Raw files, and also i'm planning to use it to edit some light videos when my first daughter born. and also some basic office stuff, excel, words.

no gaming at all.

i'm planning to get an external monitor though as the 12" in the macbook seems to small for me.

thank you so much.
What resolution external display do you plan to use and what resolution videos do you plan to edit? Those would be the only 2 factors I can see.

If you can afford it, go with the M7, reason being if the M7 can't handle what you need it to, then you know the MacBook won't work for you and you can return it and look at something else, but if you get the M5 and it doesn't work, you'll be asking if the M7 will.

Reactions: Precursor

IvanPsy

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
I'm planning to shift to Mac.
My main use is:
- web surfing and web apps (the Drive suite, and something more), usually 10-15 tabs
- Evernote
- streaming music and video
- light video editing (small videos about 10 minutes each that I upload on YouTube. I.e.: the old Windows Movie Maker is enough for my needs).

Will the m3 or m5 work for me?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
My main use is:
- web surfing and web apps (the Drive suite, and something more), usually 10-15 tabs
- Evernote
- light video editing (small videos about 10 minutes each that I upload on YouTube. I.e.: the old Windows Movie Maker is enough for my needs).

Yes either would be fine.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
How about the MacBook Air 13"? How does it compare to the m3/m5? Does it worth the buy nowaday?
I'd get the MacBook. It has a much better screen than the Air, and the performance is about the same now, except if you are really taxing the processor for extended periods of time.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
My main use is:
- Evernote

As long as the videos your editing are 1080p or less you should be fine. If you want to do 4k, it depends on the program your using to edit.

Other than that, you should be good.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
How about the MacBook Air 13"? How does it compare to the m3/m5? Does it worth the buy nowaday?
Definitely go with the MacBook. I just returned an 11" Air today and went with an m3 MacBook. The screens on the Air is just plain bad for the eyes, just horrible. Apple really needs to update it or remove it from the lineup already.

I'm always doing back and forth from Mac Mini desktop to different MacBooks. I just went from a 2012 Mini to the 2016 MacBook m3. My Mini was pretty upgraded with dual SSD and 16GB RAM. The MacBook feels just as quick. I don't do any heavy duty stuff on my Macs, more or less what you do, plus a 60GB Photo library from photo stream. I have no complaints with the performance.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
This is why I decided to get the m3. It seems like the m7 shouldn't exist, or at least not be an extra $225 since it'd hit the thermal envelope and have to throttle just like the m3.

m7 must exist because only m7 has intel vpro, tex and sipp... m5 and m3 dont have those features. if you need those features, you must get the m7 model.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I am more than happy with my m7 -- Prior to purchasing/ordering, I seriously thought about simply going into the store and getting the m5, but it just seemed to me that the m7 had just enough more to it that would make it worthwhile for me, and I am not sorry with the choice I made. Everyone's priorities, needs and desires are different.

izzyfanto

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
m7 must exist because only m7 has intel vpro, tex and sipp... m5 and m3 dont have those features. if you need those features, you must get the m7 model.
I thought that those m7 features were primarily just for enterprise security requirements, not any performance benefits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.