Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
yes there are... e.g. gpu in m7 has higher max clock speed. but the main difference is on my message couple msgs above.

wbrat

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
I'm thinking of upgrading my old MBP. While waiting for new MBP, I'm also looking at MB, mainly due to price difference.

Currently I have MBP from late 2007, with 2,4GHz Intel Core Duo, 4GB of RAM (DDR2), GeForce 8600M (256MB) and SSD.
Do you think a new MacBook would be slower than my current MBP?
I use it mainly to works such as calculations (Excel, Stata), PDF viewing (multiple files opened at the same time), text editing (Lyx), etc.

Louwen

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2009
Aalborg, Denmark
I had a Macbook Pro 2008, with almost the same config, and after spending a week with the m7 Macbook, i can guarantee that this machine is not slower than your 2007 MBP.

It really is an awesome little machine. I'm really happy about the upgrade.

BBD90

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Hey guys so I am looking into buying a Macbook but I am not sure with CPU to go with. My main use is watching movies, videos online, Facebook, Homework (Microsoft office, Online HW websites), and browsing. I am pretty sure M3 would get the job done but I was wondering if I should just go for the M7. I don't need the 512 GB SSD so the M5 is kinda pointless for me since that model comes out $50 ahead of the 256 with M7. Any suggestions?

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Hey guys so I am looking into buying a Macbook but I am not sure with CPU to go with. My main use is watching movies, videos online, Facebook, Homework (Microsoft office, Online HW websites), and browsing. I am pretty sure M3 would get the job done but I was wondering if I should just go for the M7. I don't need the 512 GB SSD so the M5 is kinda pointless for me since that model comes out $50 ahead of the 256 with M7. Any suggestions?

m3 is fine. This thing can handle emulators, 4k video editing, etc. and your tasks sound much less demanding than those. Go for the m3; you won't regret it!

ArranMac

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2016
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My late 2011 MBP 2.4ghz i5 has started to fall apart and even with a ram upgrade it's as slow as an Apple Watch.

I'm looking to purchase the M3 MacBook but am unsure whether it be usable in a few years due to the on paper performance (headline figures) of the processor.

I'm a student who will be mostly word processing/Netflix/Safari and the occasional use of excel so I don't think I'm that processor intensive a user.

Can anyone vouch for the M3 or shall I just wait (wait painfully) for the ghost like 'new' rMBP?

Thanks.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
My late 2011 MBP 2.4ghz i5 has started to fall apart and even with a ram upgrade it's as slow as an Apple Watch.

I'm looking to purchase the M3 MacBook but am unsure whether it be usable in a few years due to the on paper performance (headline figures) of the processor.

I'm a student who will be mostly word processing/Netflix/Safari and the occasional use of excel so I don't think I'm that processor intensive a user.

Can anyone vouch for the M3 or shall I just wait (wait painfully) for the ghost like 'new' rMBP?

Thanks.

Put an SSD into your current MB and it will feel as fast as the new ones for what you use it for. SSDs can be had for under $100 and they make a world of difference!

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
I had a Macbook Pro 2008, with almost the same config, and after spending a week with the m7 Macbook, i can guarantee that this machine is not slower than your 2007 MBP.

It really is an awesome little machine. I'm really happy about the upgrade.

It really is.
People need to stop looking down their noses at the MacBook.

I mean, it is quite costly compared to how much ...horsepower you get.
But you do get a very well built, sturdy, light, powerful, completely silent computer with a magnificent screen.

Reactions: Louwen

ArranMac

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2016
United Kingdom
Put an SSD into your current MB and it will feel as fast as the new ones for what you use it for. SSDs can be had for under $100 and they make a world of difference!

Thanks Old Macs.

I considered the SSD option but I need a case repair on my MBP and by the time I do both things it's near enough £400 ($520).

Throwing it in my back pack throughout high school and university wasn't kind to it.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Thanks Old Macs.

I considered the SSD option but I need a case repair on my MBP and by the time I do both things it's near enough £400 ($520).

Throwing it in my back pack throughout high school and university wasn't kind to it.

What exactly has gone wrong with the case? Thats a lot of money!

ArranMac

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2016
United Kingdom
What exactly has gone wrong with the case? Thats a lot of money!

The adhesive holding the case to screen has come loose and Apple charge something ridiculous for a replacement.
Top case is also damaged and they recommended replacing that as well!

I think a current model rMBP is the best bet for me.

pina

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
Hi,

this topic is pretty interesting. I'm looking for a replacement of my MacBook Air 11" i5 1,3GHZ 4GB RAM. I initially bought it only for typing purposes, because I also have a MBP i7 2011 with 2 SSD's and 8GB RAM for heavier tasks.

But after a while, I started using photoshop, indesign and illustrator more and more, but not for very high resolution files of f.e. >1GB files. Everything goes very smooth on this machine, it's very fast but because of the lack of RAM, I rather run fast out of ram. That's why I'm looking for s better laptop, especially more RAM, but it needs to be portable too.

I was thinking of buyting the new MBP with touch bar, but after reading of the problems of the battery, I was thinking of buying the MB 12" m5. Does anyone know whether the performance of this machine would be at leas on par with my current MB Air 11"?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Hi,

this topic is pretty interesting. I'm looking for a replacement of my MacBook Air 11" i5 1,3GHZ 4GB RAM. I initially bought it only for typing purposes, because I also have a MBP i7 2011 with 2 SSD's and 8GB RAM for heavier tasks.

But after a while, I started using photoshop, indesign and illustrator more and more, but not for very high resolution files of f.e. >1GB files. Everything goes very smooth on this machine, it's very fast but because of the lack of RAM, I rather run fast out of ram. That's why I'm looking for s better laptop, especially more RAM, but it needs to be portable too.

I was thinking of buyting the new MBP with touch bar, but after reading of the problems of the battery, I was thinking of buying the MB 12" m5. Does anyone know whether the performance of this machine would be at leas on par with my current MB Air 11"?
The m5 will be faster than your MacBook Air.

askep3

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
California, US
Hi,

As someone else said, the m5 will be faster, in my opinion a lot faster. The MacBook Pro with touch bar just got an update (software) so wait and see if that resolves he battery issues.

pina

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
Thanks to clarify this. But it's a shame that it's so expensive. It costs 1800 euros, the new MBP costs 2000 euros...

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
Thanks to clarify this. But it's a shame that it's so expensive. It costs 1800 euros, the new MBP costs 2000 euros...

Consider the new MBP without Touch Bar.
Price close to 12" MacBook, better CPU, way better iGPU, 13.3" display, better battery life.

pina

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
Consider the new MBP without Touch Bar.
Price close to 12" MacBook, better CPU, way better iGPU, 13.3" display, better battery life.

yes that's true... it's a difficult choice between extreme portability and power... But I'm afraid of the reported battery issues. And I'm used to the small form factor and light weight of the 11".

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
yes that's true... it's a difficult choice between extreme portability and power... But I'm afraid of the reported battery issues. And I'm used to the small form factor and light weight of the 11".
If you are used to the 11" I'd go with the 12" MacBook. It is even smaller. The 13" MacBook Pro is noticeably heavier.

Liat

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2016
Offtopic:

I had been waiting for the new Macbook Pro for a long time. It took me half and four Apple Store employees to figure out the touch bar can’t be turned off.

Now I’m considering the Macbook again. Probably I’ll wait for the 2017 version.

Apple saved me a lot of money. I wanted to buy the fully upgraded 15 inch Macbook Pro. That costs $5,000 where I live.

The touch-bar-free 13 inch MBP isn’t light enough to carry around with comfort, so the Macbook seems to be the best choice. However, sooner or later I’ll need a mobile pro computer. I don’t know what to say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.