Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
^^That post was from July and for some reason I'm no longer losing any % overnight. In fact for the past several weeks or more I'm not losing any %. Last week I charged overnight and disconnected the next morning and I got so busy that I didn't get the chance to open my laptop for 2 full days and noticed it was still at 100% on the 3rd day. This is with wifi kept on and I never power down just close the lid. I have a 2017 15" MBP running Sierra 10.12.5

Battery life is excellent for me and I really love this laptop so glad I waited for this refresh model.

gnyf

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
This seems to be fixed in High Sierra.
my MBP has been sitting since yesterday afternoon (some 28h), wifi enabled - and hurray just saw I still have 100% charge.
This has NEVER happened before :)

Reactions: Barry83

Blizzardman

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Gilbert, Arizona
The fix mentioned in this link has always worked for me but unfortunately the changes are overwritten anytime there is an OSX update. I might do the changes on more time and hope that when High Sierra comes out it is permanently fixed...

Barry83

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2017
Germany
I have the same issue and hope that HighSierra will fix this :( I love my MacBook but the battery draining really sucks.

wmk

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2014
I was getting minor drain of around 2% per night but since turning off notifications whilst the screen is off and/or the machine is in night mode the battery is keeping its charge.

In case you didn't notice WhiteWhaleHolyGrail's post a few pages back, this solution actually works; there's no need to change power management settings (pmset) nor everything. Simply go to System Preferences / Notifications and check "While the display is sleeping" in the "Turn on Do Not Disturb" section.

Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 11.01.59.png

Verified on 10.12.6 with the Wi-Fi left on.

rtqn

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
Singapore
Same issue here!

MBP nTB 2017 (base model, 256gb storage)

Battery drains from 100% to 75-80% in sleep mode in less than 24 hours!!! Been testing it out for the past week (I've only gotten it less than 2 weeks ago) with different settings/variations and apps opened/closed but the results are more or less the same, averaging about 20% battery loss during sleep mode in 24 hours.

Called Apple Support and the guy told me there's no issue with my battery?!

Going to go down to the Apple Store tomorrow. Hopefully someone there will be able to solve this issue. 20% battery drain during sleep over 24 hours is a big problem!
[doublepost=1506093521][/doublepost]
^^That post was from July and for some reason I'm no longer losing any % overnight. In fact for the past several weeks or more I'm not losing any %. Last week I charged overnight and disconnected the next morning and I got so busy that I didn't get the chance to open my laptop for 2 full days and noticed it was still at 100% on the 3rd day. This is with wifi kept on and I never power down just close the lid. I have a 2017 15" MBP running Sierra 10.12.5

Battery life is excellent for me and I really love this laptop so glad I waited for this refresh model.

Hi

Just wondering if you've updated to 10.12.6? If yes, do you still get 100% battery life after leaving it in sleep mode for a day with the wifi on?

joshuaglynn

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2017
Hope this works. I'm experiencing the same drain as everyone else, Macbook Pro 15" is closed for the night and burns through 100% of power in about 3-4 days while "sleeping." Yuck.

In case you didn't notice WhiteWhaleHolyGrail's post a few pages back, this solution actually works; there's no need to change power management settings (pmset) nor everything. Simply go to System Preferences / Notifications and check "While the display is sleeping" in the "Turn on Do Not Disturb" section.

View attachment 716803

precision01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014

View attachment 716803

This is not working for everyone. I tried that last night (on my MBP 15" Late 2016 macOS 10.13.1) and battery level dropped from 44% to 33% in just 12 hours, even with all apps closed. I'm experiencing this annoying issue since the first day with this machine, and the only thing that works is that terminal trick. Unfortunatelly almost every macOS update requires us to do the trick again.

Link for the trick: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...drain-while-sleeping-here-is-the-fix.2026702/

UPDATE:

Mixolyd's trick does not work anymore. I tried that on macOS 10.13.1 and as he said, it even makes things worse. I'm gonna contact apple again and see if they can solve the issue. Since not everyone suffers from this issue, I think it can be a hardware fault. I suspect that because as in another forum topic that I opened last year, I have some serious bluetooth reability issues on windows 10 via bootcamp, something that also seems uncommon.

Last edited:

Sovae

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2018
sudo pmset -b tcpkeepalive 0 fixed it for me, and I'm running High Sierra 10.13.3

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
sudo pmset -b tcpkeepalive 0 fixed it for me, and I'm running High Sierra 10.13.3
Curious, when you run this command you get the warning about FindMyMac not functioning properly, which is fine, but I would think it would be follow by a proceed Y/N? I assume it set to 0 regardless of the warning? Also, I assume on is "1" if this doesn't work for me on my 7-8% overnight drain and I want to change it back ?

What is the terminal command to check to see if tcpkeepalive is set to 0 (off).

Last edited:

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX

View attachment 716803

I know this is an older post, but I just wanted to say thank you for recapping this. I changed this setting on my 2017 MBP w/Touchbar, and it fixed the drain issue. Went from losing 15% battery usage over 24 hours with the MacBook sleeping, down to 3% battery usage over 24 hours with the MacBook sleeping. Thanks!

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Not sure if this applied but we have a older style MacBook Pro retina bought just 6 months ago, the one with the older connection ports and NO USB-C. It at times has also suffered abnormal power drain when shut and sleeping. I've checked the settings and can't see any issues.

Will look again with some of the suggestions posted here.

We also have an older 2010 MBP 13" which at times is doing much better when it cones to power drain. Got it 2nd hand so not sure how old the battery is, by an app I installed says its only done 314 battery cycles so it maybe be a lot newer or life its previous life hooked up to mains power 24/7.

BTW we have been traveling over the last week and frequently out of cell and WiFi coverage. We do have a mobile WiFi hot spot and iPhone to link to when needed if this makes a difference?

Zolos

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
For those that are still losing overnight try changing hibernation to disk only mode:

sudo pmset -b hibernatemode 25

Only lost 0.x overnight
[doublepost=1566570025][/doublepost]
For those that are still losing overnight try changing hibernation to disk only mode:

sudo pmset -b hibernatemode 25

Only lost 0.x overnight
Can you explain how to do this? I'm relatively new to using "command" instructions, but may be able to figure it out with a detailed explanation.
- Thank you!
[doublepost=1566570115][/doublepost]
Curious, when you run this command you get the warning about FindMyMac not functioning properly, which is fine, but I would think it would be follow by a proceed Y/N? I assume it set to 0 regardless of the warning? Also, I assume on is "1" if this doesn't work for me on my 7-8% overnight drain and I want to change it back ?

What is the terminal command to check to see if tcpkeepalive is set to 0 (off).
LarryJoe33, I was following your efforts on another thread. Did you find that this turn off notifications in Sleep Mode worked?
- Thank you

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
[doublepost=1566570025][/doublepost]
Can you explain how to do this? I'm relatively new to using "command" instructions, but may be able to figure it out with a detailed explanation.
- Thank you!
[doublepost=1566570115][/doublepost]
LarryJoe33, I was following your efforts on another thread. Did you find that this turn off notifications in Sleep Mode worked?
- Thank you
Hi there, sorry for the late reply. It did not work. I am just living with a battery that dies overnight if not plugged in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.