Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhy3213

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2018
Beijing, China
You can test it on your own MacBook Pro 2018 Model!

Step1: Launch Logic Pro X, create a new project, then go to Preference->Advanced->Show Advanced Tools & Enable All
Step2: Go to Preference->Audio->I/O Buffer Size 32 Samples & Process Buffer Range Small
Step3: Drag A MP3 file into the window
Step4: Launch iTunes And start to play some music
Step5: Go to Logic Pro and press space button to play the MP3 file you've just dragged in
Step6: Launch Safari and create new tab, then keep sliding up and down on this icon page

Bang.

I've done it on both my 15'MacBook Pro 2018 and the display models at apple store.

Last edited:

zhy3213

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2018
Beijing, China
If I have to go through all of that to trigger an issue, then to me it’s a non issue.
This is just a stable way to trigger the crackling. It shows that all 2018 models share the issue. Even you don't want to go through all these step to trigger it, your speakers will crackle randomly when your machine gets hot, no mater wether you use your machine that way or not.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Sounds like an interesting test, but not ready to drop $200 on Logic Pro to run it, when I don’t have any need for it beyond the test

What’s a “K’d” version?

magamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2009
While this may potentially prove the issue is universal, I'm not sure if it's a great idea to suggest using cracked software...

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama

I've done it on both my 15'MacBook Pro 2018 and the display models at apple store.

As Logic Pro X is a bit expensive, you may download a k'd version for this simple test...

Anyone who can buy the machine and considers themselves a pro wouldn’t promote piracy especially because cracked software often contains malware and keyloggers.

Reactions: HenryDJP and jerryk

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2012
This is just a stable way to trigger the crackling. It shows that all 2018 models share the issue. Even you don't want to go through all these step to trigger it, your speakers will crackle randomly when your machine gets hot, no mater wether you use your machine that way or not.

No crackilng on a 13 or 15 inch machine.

einsof1

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2018
I noticed the crackling in my speakers only when shuttling through footage in Premiere. It's almost negligible when I put on headphones.
I just updated with the latest OS patch and speaker crackling is still there.

Reactions: MaximizedAction

Kevinfinity

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2018
After a week usage, I don’t find any problem with the speaker. I always turn the volume close to 100%. No crackling at all. So my MacBook Pro 15” don’t have this issue at all.

MaximizedAction

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
If I have to go through all of that to trigger an issue, then to me it’s a non issue.
I swear, with all the problem reports from people, and my very own week old 2018 that came with some of those issues, it feels like this is also the philosophy of Apple’s QC department.

Reactions: M.Rizk

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Not heard a single crackle from my new MBP, not one time.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Actually you're incorrect, not all 2018 models share this issue.

Mine does not exhibit such behavior.

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands
Anyone else also have the faint hissing that even when you press the mute button you hear this noise? It's always present very faintly when playing whatever audio.

This is the second 2018 15" I have, the first one sounded like it had blown speakers.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Yesterday--Got a new MacBook Pro.

Time Machined in the old Macbook's data and stuff, and took it for a spin.

BOFFO.

I tried overloading, nothing so far. In terms of software and function, this new MacBook Pro is the twin of the old one. Nothing yet.

However, I am using MegaSeg to play music, and I have gotten a small crack-hiss between songs every 1200 songs or so. That isn't the problem I did have, and MegaSeg updated yesterday to a beta. I dismiss that random error so far.

If it is a "software patch" issue, I would think this new MacBook Pro would behave like the old one. It isn't.
If the problem doesn't recur, it might be a hardware problem; cheap solder, improper solder, shoddy chip manufacture, intolerant resistors, etc. can be at fault.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
Yesterday--Got a new MacBook Pro.

Time Machined in the old Macbook's data and stuff, and took it for a spin.

BOFFO.

I tried overloading, nothing so far. In terms of software and function, this new MacBook Pro is the twin of the old one. Nothing yet.

However, I am using MegaSeg to play music, and I have gotten a small crack-hiss between songs every 1200 songs or so. That isn't the problem I did have, and MegaSeg updated yesterday to a beta. I dismiss that random error so far.

If it is a "software patch" issue, I would think this new MacBook Pro would behave like the old one. It isn't.
If the problem doesn't recur, it might be a hardware problem; cheap solder, improper solder, shoddy chip manufacture, intolerant resistors, etc. can be at fault.

Hmmm... Since Apple are offering me an exchange I wonder if I should take them up on their offer and let them take my machine away for testing.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

Step1: Launch Logic Pro X, create a new project, then go to Preference->Advanced->Show Advanced Tools & Enable All
Step2: Go to Preference->Audio->I/O Buffer Size 32 Samples & Process Buffer Range Small
Step3: Drag A MP3 file into the window
Step4: Launch iTunes And start to play some music
Step5: Go to Logic Pro and press space button to play the MP3 file you've just dragged in
Step6: Launch Safari and create new tab, then keep sliding up and down on this icon page

Bang.

Is this a MBP problem or a Logic Pro X problem though? Searching for "Logic Pro speakers crackling" I come across the following on Sound Radix Support ...

"If you're experiencing higher than usual CPU usage and hearing crackles in Logic Pro X, please increase your I/O Buffer Size to 256 samples or higher and more importantly, set your Process Buffer Range to Small in the Audio Preferences settings (Logic Pro X> Preferences> Audio)."

Isn't setting buffer size to 32 just defeating a fix to a known issue?

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Is this a MBP problem or a Logic Pro X problem though? Searching for "Logic Pro speakers crackling" I come across the following on Sound Radix Support ...

"If you're experiencing higher than usual CPU usage and hearing crackles in Logic Pro X, please increase your I/O Buffer Size to 256 samples or higher and more importantly, set your Process Buffer Range to Small in the Audio Preferences settings (Logic Pro X> Preferences> Audio)."

Isn't setting buffer size to 32 just defeating a fix to a known issue?

Yeah, a 32-sample buffer in Logic while pushing the CPU with other apps is very likely to cause breakup. This isn’t the same as the noise being discussed.

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
I'm starting to think all of them have this issue, just some people might not hear it.
Exactly my thoughts. For me, it only crackles when I'm watching a youtube video or listening to music and audio from another source plays *receive an iMessage for instance* and then I hear a 1-2 second crack in the sound. The MacBook Pro I have is actually a replacement as the original one I purchased a couple days after it was released also had this same issue.

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands
Exactly my thoughts. For me, it only crackles when I'm watching a youtube video or listening to music and audio from another source plays *receive an iMessage for instance* and then I hear a 1-2 second crack in the sound. The MacBook Pro I have is actually a replacement as the original one I purchased a couple days after it was released also had this same issue.

100% same situation as me, word for word. I'm also on my second one.

MD7200

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2018
Today I got a new macbook pro. macOS directly reinstalled and BootCamp installed. Again after 20 minutes under BootCamp, for example, the noise started. I think it will probably have all the Macbook's this problem ... I have now dammed altogether at 4 devices.

Last edited:

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama
People.

Can you all stop acting so panicky and privileged and stop coming up with 50 different random theories that have nothing to do with the way computers are build these days. I was laughing hard when I read the 'maybe it is badly soldered' theory.

Reactions: SBruv and inksane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.