Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
I wanted to have my machine checked out for possible hardware issues due to the crackling speakers and somehow Apple couldn't find my appointment quite interestingly. And instead of helping me anyway, I had to make a new appointment which is outside my 14-day return period.

So I suppose I should return it and ask for my money back as it could be a hardware issue that we all have?

FFTHX

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2018
Exactly my thoughts. For me, it only crackles when I'm watching a youtube video or listening to music and audio from another source plays *receive an iMessage for instance* and then I hear a 1-2 second crack in the sound. The MacBook Pro I have is actually a replacement as the original one I purchased a couple days after it was released also had this same issue.
Hey, how long it took for apple to send you the replacement?

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
Hey, how long it took for apple to send you the replacement?
I actually purchased it at my local Bestbuy because they received shipment days before Apple did for some reason. Noticed the crackling issue and immediately contacted AppleCare support. We reset some things and didn't resolve the issue. Then I made a genius appointment and went to the store the same day. Genius had no idea what was happening and didn't really know how to troubleshoot it because it was a new computer. So what she did was she erased and set the computer as new, but the issue persisted. She asked me if I could go to Bestbuy to get it exchanged, but I couldn't because the last day I could make any returns/exchanges was the day before. She asked her manager for approval and they just opened a brand new MBP and handed it over to me. Came home and set up the computer only to encounter the same issue. At this point I'm just waiting for a software update and am not worrying anymore.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
I actually purchased it at my local Bestbuy because they received shipment days before Apple did for some reason. Noticed the crackling issue and immediately contacted AppleCare support. We reset some things and didn't resolve the issue. Then I made a genius appointment and went to the store the same day. Genius had no idea what was happening and didn't really know how to troubleshoot it because it was a new computer. So what she did was she erased and set the computer as new, but the issue persisted. She asked me if I could go to Bestbuy to get it exchanged, but I couldn't because the last day I could make any returns/exchanges was the day before. She asked her manager for approval and they just opened a brand new MBP and handed it over to me. Came home and set up the computer only to encounter the same issue. At this point I'm just waiting for a software update and am not worrying anymore.

Well I guess that answers my question regarding if this issue is only for those who got their macbooks from apple, now its best buy too :( that is where I will be purchasing mine since I have the birthday coupon to use, wont expire til the end of the month so Im prolonging this til this issue is resolved hopefully

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
I have been listening to hours of Apple Music and some youtube music on my mbp '18, and I have been listening for the issue - I even listened to the youtube recordings of the crackle so I would know what it sounded like. My speakers are perfect.

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands
I have been listening to hours of Apple Music and some youtube music on my mbp '18, and I have been listening for the issue - I even listened to the youtube recordings of the crackle so I would know what it sounded like. My speakers are perfect.

Skip through a playing YouTube video with the sound on and you'll hear something is off.

motomotomoto

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2018
I have no idea whats causing it, but I would have to think it isn't universal or complaints about the crackling would be VERY widespread. I can't use mine for more than an hour or so, even web browsing and listening to music on spotify / youtube / soundcloud without it becoming an issue and requiring a restart. FWIW, Apple support is exchanging mine and thinks likely issue is faulty soundcard.

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
Anyone else also have the faint hissing that even when you press the mute button you hear this noise? It's always present very faintly when playing whatever audio.

This is the second 2018 15" I have, the first one sounded like it had blown speakers.
Yes that's the issue I had, along with the crackling. The hissing is hardware fault according to a Service Tech on macadmins slack. Requires topcase (speaker) replacement. I'm awaiting my new laptop due to this issue.

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
I just unboxed my replacement and the speaker is hissing on it too.

Hissing with small pop either side of the audio start/finish.
[doublepost=1533886049][/doublepost]Contacted Apple again. Support checked their internal info, and engineers have flagged this issue for immediate escalation.

They have logs and video of both the hissing and crackling and generally audio screwiness.

Fingers crossed it’s a speedy software fix!

Reactions: Ocias

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands
I just unboxed my replacement and the speaker is hissing on it too.

Hissing with small pop either side of the audio start/finish.
[doublepost=1533886049][/doublepost]Contacted Apple again. Support checked their internal info, and engineers have flagged this issue for immediate escalation.

They have logs and video of both the hissing and crackling and generally audio screwiness.

Fingers crossed it’s a speedy software fix!

I'm praying it's software. :p

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Finally it is getting some traction
I never heard of that website, while my knowledge of tech sites is quite limited, I think we'll see it gaining traction when we see cnet, engadget, or Ars Technica. I'm not saying this is a no-name site but rather, I think apple may perk up more when a more well known site starts reporting it.

I'm praying it's software
If its software why hasn't it affected everyone? I'm not disagreeing, but I am asking. For instance, my speakers are just fine

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama
If its software why hasn't it affected everyone? I'm not disagreeing, but I am asking. For instance, my speakers are just fine

Bug is so intermittent it is hard to replicate. When I did the stress test for this discussion it took 8 hours of stressing for it to appear. For some people it will appear immediately, others are a short time, and others could wait days or weeks depending on how they use the machine.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Bug is so intermittent it is hard to replicate. When I did the stress test for this discussion it took 8 hours of stressing for it to appear. For some people it will appear immediately, others are a short time, and others could wait days or weeks depending on how they use the machine.

Yeah, mine totally varies. Took three hours to start happening today, but sometimes it's within minutes.

MD7200

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2018
under bootcamp it is like a Swiss clockwork, after about 24 minutes the noise starts and it gets more and louder. However, only when playing different games. Youtube and co. I did not try bootcamp.

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands
I never heard of that website, while my knowledge of tech sites is quite limited, I think we'll see it gaining traction when we see cnet, engadget, or Ars Technica. I'm not saying this is a no-name site but rather, I think apple may perk up more when a more well known site starts reporting it.

I'm still convinced not everybody hears it. I'm talking about any type of speaker issues, so hissing, popping and crackling. The hissing is very faint for me but it's noticeable in a quiet room. I'm on my second one right now and I have a feeling when I exchange it for a third one the exact same problem will occur, like other people have had in this thread.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
I'm still convinced not everybody hears it. I'm talking about any type of speaker issues, so hissing, popping and crackling. The hissing is very faint for me but it's noticeable in a quiet room. I'm on my second one right now and I have a feeling when I exchange it for a third one the exact same problem will occur, like other people have had in this thread.

The hissing sounds like something else to me.

The issues being reported here are very audible when listening to anything over the speakers, an echo sound, cracking and all sorts of weird noises.

Reactions: SBruv

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands
The hissing sounds like something else to me.

The issues being reported here are very audible when listening to anything over the speakers, an echo sound, cracking and all sorts of weird noises.

It could be, I don't know. This is the second one that has speaker issues. If there's not a patch next week I'll return it and buy something else. I'm not paying 2700 euro to be a beta tester.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
Skip through a playing YouTube video with the sound on and you'll hear something is off.

No, just skipped through a Youtube Aerosmith music video with volume turned up - I kept clicking forward and backwards through the video, and nothing but song. I am sorry some are having this problem though.

alriley

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
I'll join the party too...I got my new MBP 2018 15" a few days ago. The same speaker crackling issues here, seems to kick in after 40 - 45 mins of running audio from any application.

Just called Apple and started a case.

I'm also getting intermittent Bluetooth mouse connection issues...is that another known issue?

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I think the only issue that every macbook 2018 has it, is the millisecond pop sound when you mute/unmute few times for example in itunes listening to beats radio and thats only in H Sierra, Mojave is ok
The rest is random

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands
I just called Apple again, they'll send me a third one and made an exception for me that I can ask for a refund at any time if the problem occurs on the new one as well (up to 3 months).

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
Just had another call. My case and video has been assessed by an engineer and they've now installed 'Capture Data' on my laptop to do system diagnostics when it happens again.

Would you believe it I've been stressing this thing out for an hour now and NOTHING!

Reactions: g75d3

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Most engineers can fix any problem they can reproduce. So if you have a scenario you can use to reproduce this issue it can likely be solved. Help the engineers out and document it well. Include things like the specific video you were watching or music you were playing, volume settings, etc. And then run your documented steps and verify you can make it happen. I don't think I have ever seen a problem with a well documented reproduction sequence that could not be solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.