Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
I still cannot get this to happen again. I haven't taken an update or anything but it just wont repeat itself. The only thing that has changed is I no longer use a second monitor with an eGPU...

Ah, I forgot I changed my audio to 48MHz. That's probably why...

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
What are your other issues ?
running so hot I can't put it on my lap without going hospital and cpu doesn't boost anywhere near it should I don't see much speed change since 2017 one, for £3000 the GPU sucks this was a mistake of mine

Florent

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2018
Montreal
running so hot I can't put it on my lap without going hospital and cpu doesn't boost anywhere near it should I don't see much speed change since 2017 one, for £3000 the GPU sucks this was a mistake of mine

There's already been an update for the CPU heating / throttling that this generation can experience. Did you do the update ?

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
Small update.

I've been in touch with Apple again today and sent them over a video of the sound issues at 44,100 Hz and showing that killing coreaudiod fixes the issue temporarily.

They're looking into this and getting back to me within the next day or so.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
The macs that have these issues, where are they being purchased? Apple store, best buy, etc? Im getting mine from best buy so hoping they have a better batch

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
The macs that have these issues, where are they being purchased? Apple store, best buy, etc? Im getting mine from best buy so hoping they have a better batch

Mine was direct from Apple. I doubt there's a 'better batch'. I think it's just luck of the draw. Unless those without the issues just aren't using it the same way as us with it.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
Mine was direct from Apple. I doubt there's a 'better batch'. I think it's just luck of the draw. Unless those without the issues just aren't using it the same way as us with it.

Thanks for the info..when I do get mine how do I test it out..honestly even with my 2017 macbook I hardly listened to music on it who knows maybe that one had crackling speakers too LOL

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
Thanks for the info..when I do get mine how do I test it out..honestly even with my 2017 macbook I hardly listened to music on it who knows maybe that one had crackling speakers too LOL

Mine is pretty simple. Stress the computer and after 20 minutes it happens. I stress by playing a game with iTunes or YouTube running.

WalterEon

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2018
On mine it just happens, stress or no stress. And without any regular interval as far as I can tell.
It doesn't have to do anything with the speakers themselves, so much is clear, since it doesn't happen all the time and it also happens on the headphone jack.
It must be the T2 chip since some iMac Pro users are also reporting this. Therefore MacBook Pro's from 2017 or earlier are most likely to have it from another source.

SaintBol

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2018
I published an additional video, using VLC instead of iTunes this time:

This shows that it is clearly not a speaker issue: when it starts to crackle, VLC logs are full of errors, as displayed in this video. Playback "too late" will trigger crackles, playback "way too late" will make VLC flush the sound buffer (and there's a silence). So it must be a sound driver or chipset issue.

When it doesn't crackle, no problem and VLC logs are empty.

WalterEon

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2018
I published an additional video, using VLC instead of iTunes this time:

This shows that it is clearly not a speaker issue: when it starts to crackle, VLC logs are full of errors, as displayed in this video. Playback "too late" will trigger crackles, playback "way too late" will make VLC flush the sound buffer (and there's a silence). So it must be a sound driver or chipset issue.

When it doesn't crackle, no problem and VLC logs are empty.

Those are some pretty interesting and valueable results I must say. Makes it very clearly a software issue indeed!

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Kinda odd, then, that the problem is clearly widespread yet all the YouTube reviewers didn't get a single bad model between them.

Surely… no, it couldn't be… could it? Dare it be suggested that the YouTube 'reviewers' aren't actually reviewing it that deeply..? Nah, what am I thinking – their editorial integrity is beyond reproach. ;)

Or it could be the issues in not the widespread.

So far so good for me. I do audio recording and video content creation and have not had an issue on my 2018 15 2.6 GHz MBP. Record with Audition and Camtasia. Playback audio on internal speaker or on external DAC and external speakers.

Last edited:

cwohrle

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2018
Hey! I bought the brand new 2018 fully maxed out macbook pro for live music performance and am having audio issues that are not allowing me to use my new laptop live.

Randomly the audio sounds very distant, digital and like it is underwater. This is happing both on the Macbook Pro speakers and when the output is through an external source. The only way to get the audio normal again is restarting the laptop.

This happens when using Spotify, Itunes, photos, iMessages, Ableton Live, Reason etc.

Any suggestions? Apple was unable to identify my issue over the phone and through videos I sent their engineers.

kotlos

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2017
Playback audio on internal speaker and external DAC.

As has been reported before, using an external audio interface or DAC fixes it. My guess is that is the reason why you haven't seen it.
Otherwise I believe it is a widespread issue but most people just don't notice.
Most likely it is just software and will be fixed soon, so no reason to go through the trouble of replacing the laptop.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
As has been reported before, using an external audio interface or DAC fixes it. My guess is that is the reason why you haven't seen it.
Otherwise I believe it is a widespread issue but most people just don't notice.
Most likely it is just software and will be fixed soon, so no reason to go through the trouble of replacing the laptop.

I updated the post. I don't hear the issue playing back on either the external DAC or the internal speakers.

macpcf

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2018
USA
Even after the update? If there are issues you should return it

yammaku

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2018
Anyone else noticed their speakers randomly crackling on the new MacBook Pro 2018? It happens every so often for me. Only saw one other report so far here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8466796
Here is an easy way to reproduce the pop/crackling sound problem:

I noticed the audio pop/crackling sound problem when I was editing a project in Final Cut Pro. When I was moving my mouse cursor across different title effects, there was this pop/crackling sound (with and without headhphones). At first I thought it was the the problem of Final Cut Pro but I tried it on a different Mac (2015 iMac 5K) and the problem did not occur. Then, I started to notice this same problem when using any other program that involves audio (for example, webpages that have audio elements.)

Here is a summary of the problem:

1. The pop/crackling sound happens when using programs involving audio. It seems it happens when “normal” audio signal is “initiated” and “stopped”. (For example, when a song starts to play and stops. Please note that some webpage may seem having no audio elements, but it may contain hidden scripts utilizing audio, and so this problem will also happen.)
  2. The pop/crackling sound happens with and without headphones;
  3. The problem happens even when the sound of the Mac is muted.
  4. It doesn’t appear to be hardware problem.
  5. The problem should be related to the audio driver, which means future software updates should fix the issue.

A fun fact I found: when I tried to record this sound using ScreenFlow, the problem disappears. It seems that when one program “takes over” the control of computer audio signal, this problem won’t happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ojdgaf and M.Rizk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.