Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stux

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2018
Not sure it’s related but I am picking up a lot of hiss when using earbuds with the headphone jack during silence.

Anyone else?

kotlos

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2017
My speakers make crackling noises as well. I reset the NVRAM, with no difference. Now I reset both the NVRAM + SMC and haven't observed any issues yet, but the problem is quite random so it might happen again.

Ideanj

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
Had this happen twice now on a machine thats 3 days old. Hoping its a software issue and not hardware related... I did reset the PRAM and SMC and it temporarily solved the cracking but it eventually came back. As a side note it’s not consistent, but once it does start it’s identical to to the YouTube video above. I feel like this MacBook isn’t gonna last as long as my 2012 did :(

I am noticing the same thing, but only (so far) while playing games. It happens after just a couple minutes in CivVI which is a DX10 game. M$ support site says to download the latest Realtek drivers, but device manager says it's an AMD sound driver?
I also noticed it started both times when I was gaming. hmm...

Last edited:

T_Oscura

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2016
One of the reasons I want to buy a Mac instead of a PC is because I don't want to deal with audio and latency issues so I hope this gets fixed.

GerritB

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2018
Yes for me it happens within 10 minutes after I start gaming. I installed new drivers from Bootcampdrivers.com which also replaced the sound drivers it seems, but it's still the same, no difference. Just hope it's a software issue and nothing more. That it happens both on MacOs and Bootcamp is not a good sign though is it?

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Have not had this problem so far.

I suspect this might be yet another problem thanks to the T2. Since it is also the Sound Controller.
It's software does not seem to be ready for primetime yet.. Wouldn't be surprised to see more patches soon.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
It probably is another T2 issue, this is the first mass deployment of it after all, I'm sure they've sold a ton more of these than imac pro's.

Reactions: Stux

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
I have the same issue, too. I'm thinking about returning my mac. I have a video of it happening. I'll take that along with the laptop when I can get to my local store and see what they say.

kotlos

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2017
Unfortunately I don't play any games, and I usually hear it when there is some music playing in the background while I browse the internet, but that happens quite rarely.
It would be great if we could find a reliable method to reproduce it. Then we would know if it is machine specific or a widespread issue. I neither like the idea of trying my luck with another machine, nor waiting for the next model.
Now with that the throttling issues are somewhat addressed, other than the speaker crackling I am quite happy with the machine. I waited more than 2 years for it...
But if I were in sound production, then this bug would render the machine useless.

GerritB

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2018
Unfortunately I don't play any games, and I usually hear it when there is some music playing in the background while I browse the internet, but that happens quite rarely.
It would be great if we could find a reliable method to reproduce it. Then we would know if it is machine specific or a widespread issue. I neither like the idea of trying my luck with another machine, nor waiting for the next model.
Now with that the throttling issues are somewhat addressed, other than the speaker crackling I am quite happy with the machine. I waited more than 2 years for it...
But if I were in sound production, then this bug would render the machine useless.
Its not your usecase, but for me it's a very reliable way that creates the noise every time; If you have Bootcamp, download Fortnite and play for 5 minutes. Like I said it happens every time. Apart from that on the MacOS side I've had it while doing some relatively intensive work and playing music through Spotify or Youtube

volumeWindow

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2018
Proceeding to return for refund, here.

Have same issue (MBP2018 15" i9).
After a long moment, it starts and occurs every 11 seconds exactly. It can occur in iTunes, or in web videos, and so on.
Under VLC, when it happens, the logs are full of "playback too late", so it's not a speaker problem.

Its not your usecase, but for me it's a very reliable way that creates the noise every time; If you have Bootcamp, download Fortnite and play for 5 minutes. Like I said it happens every time. Apart from that on the MacOS side I've had it while doing some relatively intensive work and playing music through Spotify or Youtube

I opened a ticket with Apple's "engineers" through tech support. Is there a way to reproduce this under macOS? So far I've only had it happen in Windows where it is clear it's a DPC/driver issue.

I have another call scheduled with them tomorrow, so if anyone can help me reproduce the issue under macOS I'd appreciate it. Under Windows it happens within 5-7 minutes of playing audio while doing a demanding task (like gaming), but I haven't really done anything to cause it to happen under macOS.

I installed Civ VI under macOS and was able to play for quite a while and never noticed a problem.

volumeWindow

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2018

What about Fortnite under macOS? Is this just a Windows issue for you?

Markgivemethezucc

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2018
Anyone else noticed their speakers randomly crackling on the new MacBook Pro 2018? It happens every so often for me. Only saw one other report so far here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8466796
Yes I did have that. I got mine replaced but the new one whenever I play a video, for example, the video pauses, the the video continues without audio for a few seconds. On any website.

Reactions: topicseed

Ocias

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2018
Sydney, Australia
I opened a ticket with Apple's "engineers" through tech support. Is there a way to reproduce this under macOS? So far I've only had it happen in Windows where it is clear it's a DPC/driver issue.

I have another call scheduled with them tomorrow, so if anyone can help me reproduce the issue under macOS I'd appreciate it. Under Windows it happens within 5-7 minutes of playing audio while doing a demanding task (like gaming), but I haven't really done anything to cause it to happen under macOS.

I installed Civ VI under macOS and was able to play for quite a while and never noticed a problem.

There's an easy way to reproduce an aspect of it, which I mention here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...cbook-pro-check-if-yours-is-affected.2129691/

Just play a youtube video, hold shift, and adjust the volume using the touch bar buttons or an external keyboard. The volume adjustment sound will delay and fail to play, and then the audio will start popping and crackling.

Last edited:

Ideanj

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
If anyone exchanges their machine and no longer experiences this please update us in this thread! I just finally finished the process of migrating everything from the old machine and REALLY don’t want to go through the process of exchanging but might have to if it continues :confused:

kotlos

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2017
Just play a youtube video, hold shift, and adjust the volume using the touch bar buttons or an external keyboard. The volume adjustment sound will delay and fail to play, and then the audio will start popping and crackling.

Yep, I was able to reproduce it but you really have to hit the volume slider fast...

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
So here has been my ****** experience:

I purchased the new 2018 MacBook Pro 15 days ago today. I noticed this crackling issue while I was watching a video on Youtube. I received an iMessage notification while the video was playing and it made like a 1-2 second crackle. I thought I was hearing things, but it happened again when I received another message while the video was still playing. I told my friend to continue sending me messages to see if this kept happening, but it didn't. During a scene for the Shazam trailer I was watching there was some music playing with heavy bass and I hit the back button on my browser and I heard it again. I thought the speakers were acting up, but was putting off having to go through the process of exchanging it (purchased AppleCare so I wasn't worried).

Days later I opened the lid and tried to watch a youtube video, but there was no sound. The video was not muted nor was the computer. I quit my browser and tried again. Nothing. No audio whatsoever coming from the computer. I had to restart the system and got it working again.

Another thing thats happened a few times, you know the swooshing sound that plays when you send a message? Well I would send a message and that sound would play continuously. I tried quitting the Messages app and it would keep playing. Id close the lid and it would STILL keep playing. I had to shut down the system to get it to stop.

Well today I got sick and tired of this considering I paid over 3k with AppleCare for this system only to have all these issues occur. They tried resetting the SMC, nothing. Factory reset the computer and it did not work either (for the crackling). So they issued me a new computer. I come home and set up my new computer and went through the whole process of setting it up again and IT STILL CRACKLES. At this point I'm at a loss. It can't be a hardware issue because this is happening on the new system. I can't possibly have gotten two defective ones right after another, so I'm hoping this is a software issue and a future update will fix this.

As far as the repeated "swooshing" sound when sending a message, it hasn't occurred. Nor the "no audio" issue either ...yet. As of right now the 1-2 second crackling issue still persists. I know to some it might seem like I'm being nit picky about this, but considering I paid over $3,000 for the computer, this should not be happening. I know sh*t happens and I'm okay with that. Im just hoping apple fixes this issue.

Reactions: p8blr

Ideanj

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
So here has been my ****** experience:

I purchased the new 2018 MacBook Pro 15 days ago today. I noticed this crackling issue while I was watching a video on Youtube. I received an iMessage notification while the video was playing and it made like a 1-2 second crackle. I thought I was hearing things, but it happened again when I received another message while the video was still playing. I told my friend to continue sending me messages to see if this kept happening, but it didn't. During a scene for the Shazam trailer I was watching there was some music playing with heavy bass and I hit the back button on my browser and I heard it again. I thought the speakers were acting up, but was putting off having to go through the process of exchanging it (purchased AppleCare so I wasn't worried).

Days later I opened the lid and tried to watch a youtube video, but there was no sound. The video was not muted nor was the computer. I quit my browser and tried again. Nothing. No audio whatsoever coming from the computer. I had to restart the system and got it working again.

Another thing thats happened a few times, you know the swooshing sound that plays when you send a message? Well I would send a message and that sound would play continuously. I tried quitting the Messages app and it would keep playing. Id close the lid and it would STILL keep playing. I had to shut down the system to get it to stop.

Well today I got sick and tired of this considering I paid over 3k with AppleCare for this system only to have all these issues occur. They tried resetting the SMC, nothing. Factory reset the computer and it did not work either (for the crackling). So they issued me a new computer. I come home and set up my new computer and went through the whole process of setting it up again and IT STILL CRACKLES. At this point I'm at a loss. It can't be a hardware issue because this is happening on the new system. I can't possibly have gotten two defective ones right after another, so I'm hoping this is a software issue and a future update will fix this.

As far as the repeated "swooshing" sound when sending a message, it hasn't occurred. Nor the "no audio" issue either ...yet. As of right now the 1-2 second crackling issue still persists. I know to some it might seem like I'm being nit picky about this, but considering I paid over $3,000 for the computer, this should not be happening. I know sh*t happens and I'm okay with that. Im just hoping apple fixes this issue.
What a disaster. I haven’t had the swoosh sound error however a few times when doing airdrop the sound it makes was completely distorted and sounded terrible. I do have the issue with the crackling audio when running intensive apps, it tends to make the sounds every 5-10 seconds. Hoping Apple recognizes and fixes this as it’s unacceptable on a $3-$4,000 machine! Also the fact that it’s happened to you on 2 machines leads me to believe it’s a software issue vs a hardware one... here’s to hoping that’s the case

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
What a disaster. I haven’t had the swoosh sound error however a few times when doing airdrop the sound it makes was completely distorted and sounded terrible. I do have the issue with the crackling audio when running intensive apps, it tends to make the sounds every 5-10 seconds. Hoping Apple recognizes and fixes this as it’s unacceptable on a $3-$4,000 machine! Also the fact that it’s happened to you on 2 machines leads me to believe it’s a software issue vs a hardware one... here’s to hoping that’s the case
I forgot to mention, as I was with the genius a random guy approached me asking if I was having issues with my new MacBook Pro. I told him what was going on with my old machine and he proceeded to me that he was also there because he was having major display issues with his 2018 MacBook Pro and his screen would randomly go blue ...this has been a complete sh*tshow of a release.

Reactions: greenmeanie

Ideanj

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
I forgot to mention, as I was with the genius a random guy approached me asking if I was having issues with my new MacBook Pro. I told him what was going on with my old machine and he proceeded to me that he was also there because he was having major display issues with his 2018 MacBook Pro and his screen would randomly go blue ...this has been a complete sh*tshow of a release.
Something tells me these 2018 models aren’t going to last as long as my 2012 MBP has. That thing still chugs along issue free while my 2018 model is having issues within 3 days. o_O

Reactions: greenmeanie

Florent

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2018
Montreal
Anyone else noticed their speakers randomly crackling on the new MacBook Pro 2018? It happens every so often for me. Only saw one other report so far here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8466796

I was getting the same strange noise on my Macbook Pro 2018.eveey 10 section nos while playing itunes music or playing video games.

I just resetted the PRAM and it seems to help, I did not heard it since (2 hours ago). But it may come back.

I believe this is a firmware problem, probably related to the T2 chip.

I hesitate to go to the genius bar and get it replaced since the new one will probably have the same defect.

volumeWindow

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2018
I was getting the same strange noise on my Macbook Pro 2018.eveey 10 section nos while playing itunes music or playing video games.

I just resetted the PRAM and it seems to help, I did not heard it since (2 hours ago). But it may come back.

I believe this is a firmware problem, probably related to the T2 chip.

I hesitate to go to the genius bar and get it replaced since the new one will probably have the same defect.

In Windows or in macOS?

What triggered the audio problem?

I still have not been able to reliably reproduce the problem in macOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.