Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jafico1

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2018
Maine
I’ve submitted feedback as a bug report as well.

Please update with what Apple tells you. I’m really curious to see how they resolve this as I’m sure my BTO MBP will be a pain to exchange. Not to mention going through the entire set up process again with the possibility of experiencing the same issues.

For now they just walked me through resetting the SMC and the PRAM (being a new Mac user I had no idea how to do those), and told me to call them back if either issue happens again :( It's very intermittent for me - it last happened I think 5 days ago, so we'll see.

makingmusic

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
I opened a ticket with Apple's "engineers" through tech support. Is there a way to reproduce this under macOS? So far I've only had it happen in Windows where it is clear it's a DPC/driver issue.

I have another call scheduled with them tomorrow, so if anyone can help me reproduce the issue under macOS I'd appreciate it. Under Windows it happens within 5-7 minutes of playing audio while doing a demanding task (like gaming), but I haven't really done anything to cause it to happen under macOS.

I installed Civ VI under macOS and was able to play for quite a while and never noticed a problem.

Happened to me while watching a YouTube Video on Safari

ESA

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2015
The cracking sound is on every 2018 MacBook Pro if you hold shift and press fast on the volume, tested on 4 of them.

But for me it never cracked except for that situation. Worked perfectly.
On the 2016 MacBook Pro its 44100, on 2018 48000

In windows its always like that. Its start to crack after a while and it get worse and worse, if you disconnect the speakers in windows and then connect them again, it starts to work =)

Its exactly the same on the iMac Pro

kotlos

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2017
I had an interesting experience this evening. I was watching a movie while the crackling started. It didn't correlate with any activity going on, just an oscillatory pattern. Then I tried to change the format from 44000 to 48000, and the audio midi setup crashed. After that, no more crackling. So I bet this is a software bug. I just hope it doesn't ruin the speakers before they fix it :)

macpro2018

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2018
Maybe it has something to do with bootcamp ? Maybe using the bootcamp to install windows 10 would damage the speakers permanently?

Reactions: OSX15

Ocias

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Returned my MBP today, the technician at the store said they don’t know the cause or how to fix it, but that it’s “probably a software issue”.

Lucky my late 2013 model can hold out a few more years for a version with working audio and no coil whine.

kotlos

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2017
Maybe it has something to do with bootcamp ? Maybe using the bootcamp to install windows 10 would damage the speakers permanently?

I only use macOS and I come across the crackling quite often, so no it is not bootcamp related.

theSchtickler

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Confirming issue on my 2018 15" MBP running macOS - crackling sound on audio intensive apps, both thru speakers and headphone jack.
Noticed the issue on Spotify and using VST plugins. On Spotify it happens every 10secs exactly. If I restart Spotify, it goes away for a while, but then comes back later.

Based on the fact that it goes away for a few minutes after restarting Spotify, is it some kind of buffer issue???

Ideanj

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
Returned my MBP today, the technician at the store said they don’t know the cause or how to fix it, but that it’s “probably a software issue”.

Lucky my late 2013 model can hold out a few more years for a version with working audio and no coil whine.
The fact that my 2012 and your 2013 run more reliably then these top of the line 2018 models :confused:

Reactions: Ocias and Kcetech1

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
Ah damnit. I have this issue.

I also have a hissing sound coming from speakers (left one more) if there is any audio playing on the system. It's audible when my sound is off/muted too.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Wasn't there issues back with the 2016 models introduction with speakers just popping and dying (on the hardware level thus requiring a complete replacement), is there some sort of root cause to all these speaker issues?

johnalan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Wasn't there issues back with the 2016 models introduction with speakers just popping and dying (on the hardware level thus requiring a complete replacement), is there some sort of root cause to all these speaker issues?

It's not a hardware issue if the speakers normally work fine, and you can cause them to act funny by doing something unusual with the audio controls.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
It's not a hardware issue if the speakers normally work fine, and you can cause them to act funny by doing something unusual with the audio controls.

Well from some of the posts here, it seems to suggest over time it is getting worse. Maybe some kind of circuit/power issue?

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
My hissing happens when there's any system audio playing. SMC + NPRAM reset did nothing.

Also the system UI for "play feedback when volume changed" is bugged and is inverted.

I can make the crackling and cut out audio happen only when the feedback sounds are playing. If they aren't, it doesn't crackle/cut-out.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
I had an interesting experience this evening. I was watching a movie while the crackling started. It didn't correlate with any activity going on, just an oscillatory pattern. Then I tried to change the format from 44000 to 48000, and the audio midi setup crashed. After that, no more crackling. So I bet this is a software bug. I just hope it doesn't ruin the speakers before they fix it :)

Stupid question, but how do I change the format?

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
Posted in another thread, but I also have issues.

When the laptop is under stress, e.g., gaming or running multiple apps the sound goes crackling and distorted. I've not tried this shift and volume slider method, I don't have to because it does this normally.

HumpYourWayUp

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
Europe
I had those issues with my iMac Pro back in January. They patched it and now there are no problems anymore. Must be connected to the T2 chip IMHO.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Knocks on wood, so far no crackles, pops or other issues with my speakers.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
Oh great now it’s happening on notifications. This is a joke now. I cannot watch any video or even receive notifications. The sound on my MacBook Pro is essentially gone.

These are WhatsApp notifications. If I play a video it's the same. Something isn't right. I'm reporting to Apple.

And this is playing back video. Speaker-gate is in session...

Reactions: OSX15 and M.Rizk

UnexpectedHuman

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2009
Europe
I am not joking, but does this solve the problem:

1. sleep the computer
2. wake the computer (this resets the audio driver and possibly the hardware too)
3. launch Photo Booth.app (this prevents the memory and IO system from entering extreme low power sleep states)
4. play the audio

I have seen problems with touch bar Mac's audio dropping out due to excessive power management. What happens is that the audio data stream is not fast enough enough to prevent parts of the hardware entering a deep power-saving sleep state - and the wakeup time is slow enough to disrupt the DMA causing drop-outs.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Has anyone experienced audio/crackling issues using bluetooth earplugs or headsets, like airpods or such?

Thanks in advance! :)

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
Oh great now it’s happening on notifications. This is a joke now. I cannot watch any video or even receive notifications. The sound on my MacBook Pro is essentially gone.

These are WhatsApp notifications. If I play a video it's the same. Something isn't right. I'm reporting to Apple.

And this is playing back video. Speaker-gate is in session...

Update. Been on support call all day to Apple, despite me saying this is an issue others have had and that they've tried the same you're making me do, I've gone through an SMC and NVRAM reset. I'm now going through the process of reinstalling macOS. Once this is done they'll finally have an engineer look at it.

I'll be asking for a straight swap. I don't want to be without my two-week old laptop. Alternatively, I'll live with it until someone else finds a solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.