Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
IIRC AppleCare now includes AD protection and two screen incidents, which in the States is $100 an incident.

Not on this particular computer. AC+ (with the additional coverage) has to be purchased within 60 days of computer purchase, this computer was bought 5 months ago....

Reactions: willmtaylor

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Not on this particular computer. AC+ (with the additional coverage) has to be purchased within 60 days of computer purchase, this computer was bought 5 months ago....

And AppleCare + for the MacBooks is new since WWDC.

I wonder if since it was just announced, they are allowing this person to buy AppleCare+ later than normal. And then charging them the standard repair rate for the screen. That is a win for Apple and the person with the broke screen.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
That is not a sound article, if you work in a lab I'd hope you'd have some scientific knowledge and could be able to see that.

For a start "Spontaneous glass breakage is a phenomenon by which toughened glass (or tempered) may spontaneously break without any apparent reason" then "The most common causes are". It contradicts it's opening statement within itself, which is quite a skill!

Oh come on, the language may not be optimal but it's clear what is meant - "without any apparent reason" means that no specific action was taken by someone to cause the glass to break, e.g., it wasn't dropped or struck. Those would be "apparent" reasons. Then the article lists the causes for spontaneous breakage absent those reasons.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017

I had an issue of glass breakage that seemed to be spontaneous, but there was an underlying cause.

The Pyrex/Anchor (newer design) soda lime glass containers are notorious for failing when being exposed to surprisingly smaller shifts in temp than one might expect...it has far lesser thermal tolerance than the older borosilicate (but somewhat better impact resistance, and presumably is cheaper to produce.) Because the temp shifts that can cause catastrophic failure (and by that I mean fricking violent failure) are so small compared to borosilicate, it would appear that this happened without any actual cause.

Of course, I did not know this before allowing it in my household, and when one seemed to just randomly explode, it was in fact sitting on a warm surface (the counter above the dishwasher likely during a drying cycle during the night) at a time when the air temp was cooler. Presumably, there was some defect when made, amplified by soda lime glass instead of borosilicate. Now I don't buy soda lime glass containers.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Oh come on, the language may not be optimal but it's clear what is meant - "without any apparent reason" means that no specific action was taken by someone to cause the glass to break, e.g., it wasn't dropped or struck. Those would be "apparent" reasons. Then the article lists the causes for spontaneous breakage absent those reasons.

You cannot list "Apparent" reasons for a breakage after you've made a statement of "Without any apparent reason". The reasons listed are reasons after all. It's been a while since I did a BSc but that sort of writing wouldn't be tolerated, which is why that particular Wiki article has a big disclaimer at the top. I'm sure it could be written to provide a more objective viewpoint but it would have to enter the realm of paranormal activity to provide true "spontaneity" of breakage. Unless the glass is sentient and chooses to end its life.

All I'm saying is that article is complete nonsense and shouldn't be used to support any argument. In fact it weakens an argument by being so subjective and contradictory. That's all.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
You cannot list "Apparent" reasons for a breakage after you've made a statement of "Without any apparent reason". The reasons listed are reasons after all. It's been a while since I did a BSc but that sort of writing wouldn't be tolerated, which is why that particular Wiki article has a big disclaimer at the top. I'm sure it could be written to provide a more objective viewpoint but it would have to enter the realm of paranormal activity to provide true "spontaneity" of breakage. Unless the glass is sentient and chooses to end its life.

This is becoming somewhat tedious so I will just make one more post and you can have the last word if you wish.

Yes, it would not make sense to list "apparent" reasons after saying "without apparent reason." But they do not do that. What follows the initial sentence is a list of "common causes." I hesitate to instruct someone from the birthplace of the English language, but synonyms for apparent are as follows: evident, plain, obvious, discernible, perceptible. The common causes listed include internal stresses in the glass, something that is not apparent. I see no problem with the wording and to trash the whole article seems rather unnecessary.

Furthermore, the "big disclaimer" at the top of the article is about the citations. So it's not a scholarly article, that doesn't invalidate what is written.
[doublepost=1497397535][/doublepost]
I had an issue of glass breakage that seemed to be spontaneous, but there was an underlying cause.

That reminds me - we had a toaster oven with a metal top and when it came time to replace it, the current model had a glass top, not directly exposed to the oven but above a metal tray that was used for warming items. I checked the Amazon reviews and there were several cases of people claiming the glass spontaneously shattered. We chose another model.

Subscribe@StarTech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2017
Calgary
So I went to the Apple Store and "surprise" it was a mis communication error, at least that's what the Lead Apple Care Genius told me. When I called the support lady back she told me that she gave me the right price and that $109 is the price they would do it at in America. Apparently AppleCare+ helps decrease the cost of accidental damage in America and that the policy is not yet a thing in Canada. Oh well looks like I am going to have to wait to save up and get the display replaced. Thanks for trying to help guys!

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
So I went to the Apple Store and "surprise" it was a mis communication error, at least that's what the Lead Apple Care Genius told me. When I called the support lady back she told me that she gave me the right price and that $109 is the price they would do it at in America. Apparently AppleCare+ helps decrease the cost of accidental damage in America and that the policy is not yet a thing in Canada. Oh well looks like I am going to have to wait to save up and get the display replaced. Thanks for trying to help guys!
Sorry for the bad news. All the best.

Reactions: Subscribe@StarTech

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
That's WITH AppleCare+.

WOW! I never read the new apple care + for the macbook pro's!!! I knew that the iphone's display is only $30 per incident with applecare+, but not for macbook pros!

quote from apple care +:

• Coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage, each subject to a service fee of $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for other damage, plus applicable tax.
That's crazy (In a good way). I will definitely purchase that for my next macbook pro due to the anxiety of liquids near my laptop.
[doublepost=1497451098][/doublepost]

What if you happened to be in america right now. Would the accidental damage ($109) american fee be an option? Or is the applecare+ ONLY if you purchase it in the USA? Because I would definitely send it to a relative or a friend and have them send it off to Apple.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

What bad news.

Queen6

macrumors G4
You just might want to look at this thread, looks like this may not be an isolated case which may rather changes things...

Q-6

I bought my MacBook Pro 2016 with Touch Bar about 5 months ago and suddenly it has a crack on the lcd. The MacBook Pro was sitting on a desk under my supervision and nothing was on top or around the laptop. There was also nothing stuck in between. There is no sign of external damage as proved by the Manager at the Apple Store and yet he still wants me to pay to get the display replaced. The manager at the store told me it was caused by pressure but yet there was nothing inside the laptop that could have damaged it. Also no one but I had access to the laptop. Customer service and the Apple Store representatives were very rude about the issue and kept trying to blame me for the damage. The last representative I talked to with customer service was especially rude. The first time I called Customer Service I was told to get a second opinion from another Apple Store in my area. When I went to another Location I kept being told that the First Apple Store already ruled it as accidental damage. The lady at the store didn’t even inspect my laptop and kept saying it was Accidental Damage. How can I get a second opinion without the lady even looking at it? I also cannot accept this was accidental damage because the damage was not done by me. I believe it was a manufacturing defect as a laptop’s lcd cannot break randomly because there are absolutely no signs of external damage anywhere. The support representative kept telling me that I did the damage. I am very frustrated with the customer service along with the service representatives at Apple. I have never had an issue like this with my MacBook Air, which I had for 3 and a Half years. I have only had this laptop for 5 months and already the lcd broke with me doing anything.

View attachment 703500 View attachment 703501 View attachment 703502 View attachment 703503 View attachment 703504 View attachment 703505

Also I do not understand why the entire display needs to be replaced when the Apple Store representative told me that only the lcd broke. If it was just the LCD I wouldn’t have to pay such a hefty price. I also do not understand how this can be classified as accidental damage even though I did nothing to provoke it. I need to know if Apple can waive the price of the repair because I am a student and also because it was definitely not accidental damage because there is no way for me to cause the damage.

Last edited:

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I just don't understand how this could've happened, When I closed it there was nothing on my table nor was there anything there when I opened the laptop stuck inside.

The power cable could have been caught in between the screen when you closed the laptop.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
When you spoke to AppleCare support, did you call the US number or do you have a different number for Canada?

If you have a different number for Canada, and/or if they told you $109 after you verified your location via your ID or serial (provided your SN has been registered to your Apple ID, which has your location), in my opinion Apple probably should (and probably will) honor the price, and it would not be unreasonable to politely ask them to consider doing so (being sure to show appreciation in advance for any consideration they give to your case.) (If AppleCare in Canada uses the same number and you did not give them the information they needed to determine your location, or some other dynamic meant that the person you spoke to had no way of determining your location, that is another story and the above does not apply.)

DonnaFrie2323

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2018
I bought my MacBook Pro 2016 with Touch Bar about 5 months ago and suddenly it has a crack on the lcd. The MacBook Pro was sitting on a desk under my supervision and nothing was on top or around the laptop. There was also nothing stuck in between. There is no sign of external damage as proved by the Manager at the Apple Store and yet he still wants me to pay to get the display replaced. The manager at the store told me it was caused by pressure but yet there was nothing inside the laptop that could have damaged it. Also no one but I had access to the laptop. Customer service and the Apple Store representatives were very rude about the issue and kept trying to blame me for the damage. The last representative I talked to with customer service was especially rude. The first time I called Customer Service I was told to get a second opinion from another Apple Store in my area. When I went to another Location I kept being told that the First Apple Store already ruled it as accidental damage. The lady at the store didn’t even inspect my laptop and kept saying it was Accidental Damage. How can I get a second opinion without the lady even looking at it? I also cannot accept this was accidental damage because the damage was not done by me. I believe it was a manufacturing defect as a laptop’s lcd cannot break randomly because there are absolutely no signs of external damage anywhere. The support representative kept telling me that I did the damage. I am very frustrated with the customer service along with the service representatives at Apple. I have never had an issue like this with my MacBook Air, which I had for 3 and a Half years. I have only had this laptop for 5 months and already the lcd broke with me doing anything.

View attachment 703500 View attachment 703501 View attachment 703502 View attachment 703503 View attachment 703504 View attachment 703505

Also I do not understand why the entire display needs to be replaced when the Apple Store representative told me that only the lcd broke. If it was just the LCD I wouldn’t have to pay such a hefty price. I also do not understand how this can be classified as accidental damage even though I did nothing to provoke it. I need to know if Apple can waive the price of the repair because I am a student and also because it was definitely not accidental damage because there is no way for me to cause the damage.

Patel2311

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2018
This has also happened to me, it only got my MacBook Pro 5 months ago and then suddenly I got vertical and horizontal lines on my screen. Went to the iStore and said it was broken LCD panel and they wouldn't fix it under my warranty. They were very rude and blunt even though they could see I was upset about the situation and made no effort to comfort me to see if there was anything they could do to help. They wanted to charge me almost £500 to fix it but I am requesting it back and going to apple directly to see what they say. I explained to them 3 times I hadn't done anything to cause the damage but naturally they did not believe me.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    818.1 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
This has also happened to me, it only got my MacBook Pro 5 months ago and then suddenly I got vertical and horizontal lines on my screen. Went to the iStore and said it was broken LCD panel and they wouldn't fix it under my warranty. They were very rude and blunt even though they could see I was upset about the situation and made no effort to comfort me to see if there was anything they could do to help. They wanted to charge me almost £500 to fix it but I am requesting it back and going to apple directly to see what they say. I explained to them 3 times I hadn't done anything to cause the damage but naturally they did not believe me.

Why would you get frustrated at a 3rd party company to fix? Are they a SP or PSP? Warranty does not cover non manufacturing defects but Applecare plus gives you two instances of non warranty repair for relatively cheap.

You need to let go of your emotions and face the facts.

Last edited:

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
You can say "I didn't do anything to cause this" till you're blue in the face, the bottom line is that this is a cracked LCD, usually caused by owner neglect or some other physical force. For all Apple knows, you're lying (I'm not saying you are) to get out of paying for a repair you should have to pay for. If they repair YOURS for free, then they would have to repair ANY screen free for which the device owner says "I don't know how it happened but I certainly didn't damage it".

Reactions: HenryDJP

Fun.gus

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2018
Cape Town
@Subscribe@StarTech This is interesting. The same thing happened to me on my 2017 13" MBP. I had an issue with my keyboard sticking on my top row of keys and the occasional key sticking out at an angle (sort of half in and half out). On particularly troublesome key was my 'esc' key. After taking it to the IStore the genius suggested that what could be happening is that 'keys which may protrude and not be clicked into place like normally functioning keys' my perhaps cause this damage. They accepted it under the recall for keyboard issue and have sent it to the technician. I am under a normal warranty, without applecare+

You'll see in my thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-antman-destroyed-my-mbp-2017-13-lcd.2125240/

What ever came from your discussions with Apple and their geniuses? I'm interested because your query unluckily took place before the recall.

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
I will say that something that really bothers me with the MacBook Pro is just how ridiculously fragile the newer models have been, in terms of their displays. The 2012-2015 Retina MBPs weren't much better honestly - it took very little to damage the glass on those.

It's pretty frustrating honestly.

MFMauceri

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2020

IT'S THE HINGES.

There seems to be way too many people with a very similar screen issues; it's not accidental damage or "pilot error."

A MAJORITY of these cracks happen near one of the screen hinges. The same hinges that lock at about 45 degrees. While every Apple employee is trained to tell you it's your fault. It's a safe bet it's surface pressure caused by the hinge flexing the screen to a tolerance it can't withstand. And that tolerance isn't much.

Without any sufficient warning that this may occur, IT IS A DESIGN FLAW. And Apple should cop to it.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
IT IS A DESIGN FLAW.
With which part? The hinges are working as designed, and there needs to be a travel limit on them. The screen is fine, if you don't put too much pressure on it trying to open it farther than it's designed to or by mishandling the system. I'm not saying these computers need to be left wrapped in bubble wrap, but when you spend over $2,000 on a piece of hardware don't you think you'll treat it nicely?

Reactions: Audit13

MFMauceri

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2020
With which part? The hinges are working as designed, and there needs to be a travel limit on them. The screen is fine, if you don't put too much pressure on it trying to open it farther than it's designed to or by mishandling the system. I'm not saying these computers need to be left wrapped in bubble wrap, but when you spend over $2,000 on a piece of hardware don't you think you'll treat it nicely?

So, you're saying it IS possible a screen can become damaged by something OTHER than an impact to its face? Apple will tell you you're wrong. So, because we agree, the next question is how far is too far to open the touch bar's two-hinge design (as opposed to, say, the one long hinge on the previous MB generation) before it stresses the screen? Is it consistently the same tolerance across every MBP unit, or could some be less stress tolerant than others? Does a crack happen at the point of stress, or can it happen, say, the next time the unit powers up?

Do you think people are flinging open $2.5K laptops like paperbacks?.. or perhaps, something more subtle may be prompting nearly 2000 people to click: "I have this problem too."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.