Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeff Nicholson

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2020
I know the OP is long gone, but I want to step up in their defense. This same thing occurred to my 2020 Macbook this morning. I know I did nothing to it other than open it in the morning, type on it a bit, then close it in the afternoon. There was no foreign object, no impact, nothing of that sort. Obviously something caused the LCD to crack. But like the OP, I don't believe it was my "fault" or that there is some way I could have avoided it. Perhaps it's bad luck. It's very possibly the hinge design. Apple has already replaced the logic board, Touch ID, and top case several weeks ago, so it's possible that things were tightened beyond spec, making the hinge too tight, thus putting excess moment on the interior of the screen when the machine is opened and closed. It also could have been differential heating. I can't even use this six-month-old Macbook as my main computer because it gets red-hot just doing regular web browsing and typing, so it sits on a vented computer mat and acts as a second monitor. Perhaps the extreme heat that the vents blow out at the base of the screen caused enough of a temperature differential to break the glass. My points are two:

1. Something caused the LCD to crack in all of these cases. It does not happen magically. That doesn't make it operator error.
2. Macbooks these days are fragile little flowers. This is my fourth and I'm about done with them.

Even though it's under warranty, I'm not sure if I'll deal with getting this fixed or not. Apple always seems to blame me, which seems common to many of us. I don't mind paying some money because stuff happens, but it's nice not to be shamed in the process by the people who make the very expensive non-functional piece of kit. It also costs me $100 in shipping for AppleCare repairs. Blech.

• Sad
Reactions: MFMauceri

MFMauceri

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2020
IMG_3876.jpg

How does a pinpoint hole get in a screen near the bezel that only opens 135º?

Last edited:

MFMauceri

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2020
I know the OP is long gone, but I want to step up in their defense. This same thing occurred to my 2020 Macbook this morning. I know I did nothing to it other than open it in the morning, type on it a bit, then close it in the afternoon. There was no foreign object, no impact, nothing of that sort. Obviously something caused the LCD to crack. But like the OP, I don't believe it was my "fault" or that there is some way I could have avoided it. Perhaps it's bad luck. It's very possibly the hinge design. Apple has already replaced the logic board, Touch ID, and top case several weeks ago, so it's possible that things were tightened beyond spec, making the hinge too tight, thus putting excess moment on the interior of the screen when the machine is opened and closed. It also could have been differential heating. I can't even use this six-month-old Macbook as my main computer because it gets red-hot just doing regular web browsing and typing, so it sits on a vented computer mat and acts as a second monitor. Perhaps the extreme heat that the vents blow out at the base of the screen caused enough of a temperature differential to break the glass. My points are two:

1. Something caused the LCD to crack in all of these cases. It does not happen magically. That doesn't make it operator error.
2. Macbooks these days are fragile little flowers. This is my fourth and I'm about done with them.

Even though it's under warranty, I'm not sure if I'll deal with getting this fixed or not. Apple always seems to blame me, which seems common to many of us. I don't mind paying some money because stuff happens, but it's nice not to be shamed in the process by the people who make the very expensive non-functional piece of kit. It also costs me $100 in shipping for AppleCare repairs. Blech.

It just irks me that there are some snarky folks here who are so wannabe soldiers in the Apple Army...

Unless you have a degree in engineering (and how it relates to high-end glass production), you're just hypothesizing when you declare stuff like "this is point of origin" damage, or "it happened on a another planet." Different production runs produce different results... Ever hear of a "bad batch?" Or is that concept a myth? It seems when Apple announces a repair program, it's limited to a range of serial numbers... In other words: "A BAD BATCH."

These MacBook Pro monitors have defects that cause nearly IDENTICAL flaws (a pinpoint crack!). It might be the surface tension of the glass gets stressed causing a weak point, it might be the hinge flexion points, it may be be a defect in manufacturing run. But the only way to create these kind of pinpoint holes (near the bezel) is to hit the screen with a pointy object like a dart (thrown underhand).

Apple makes great products, sometimes they make mistakes. This is one of them.

Last edited:

baisan

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2007
Same thing happened to my MacBook Pro, I was just watching movies before it happened, paused it to grab something, came back the screen was shaking then I shut it down and restarted then now it's all black. One thing I noticed was the cracked from the inside. Here's a photo. Took it to the retailer and they blamed me. I honestly didn't crack it, there was nothing stuck in between the screen and keyboard. Never dropped or mishandled. I look after my things really well. But this crack baffled me.
macbookcrack.jpg

denisvl

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2021
I've just opened the lid and heard "crrrrr"

so now I have small crack

nothing prevented the opening, nothing was inside
I think, this a consequence of the deformation of the lid during the opening.
Very disappointed =|

Attachments

• photo_2021-01-16 14.04.23.jpeg
    photo_2021-01-16 14.04.23.jpeg
    335.6 KB · Views: 100

hatchettjack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2020
I can understand being upset, but something clearly hit the screen! In no way, shape or form is this Apple’s fault! Your level of entitlement is off the charts!

Reactions: Audit13

denisvl

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2021
The screen wasn't hit.
May be I opened the lid too fast or MacBook was too cold (10-15 °C)

I've took a picture that I'm talking about.
this machine isn't mine, this is the employer's laptop and it will be replaced, but for what? I don't want to be extremely careful about how quickly I open the lid :rolleyes:

Attachments

• photo_2021-01-17 08.37.04.jpeg
    photo_2021-01-17 08.37.04.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 106
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.