Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJ_NUFC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
So after upgrading from the mid-2012 Retina MBP, waiting for all the garbage butterfly keyboard phases to pass, and I spend $5000+ USD on a new laptop, and I'm left with a short-as-**** power cable, compared to my 2012 machine? Am I in Lala-land? Is Apple actually nickleing-and-dimeing a customer who has been a loyal customer since 2010? It's incredible. To quote George Costanza, "I am without speech."

MBP 16", M1 Max, 64GB, 32GB.

DJ_NUFC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
It seems to be 4ft? My cable is the same as the 2019 16. And the m1 air. They all seem the same length.

Just Googled this, and it turns out Apple ditched its long cord in 2016. Great.

Why is Apple asking me to buy an aftermarket cord for $3 when I just spent $5k on a premium machine and experience?

Oh well. Such is life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jl006p

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2019
So after upgrading from the mid-2012 Retina MBP, waiting for all the garbage butterfly keyboard phases to pass, and I spend $5000+ USD on a new laptop, and I'm left with a short-as-**** power cable, compared to my 2012 machine? Am I in Lala-land? Is Apple actually nickleing-and-dimeing a customer who has been a loyal customer since 2010? It's incredible. To quote George Costanza, "I am without speech."

mqdefault.jpg

Take the extension cord from your 2012 MBP and slide it on your new power brick.

Or return your MBP if you're really that unsatisfied.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021

how can you be a loyal customer when you phases out the butterfly key macs?!you were a mac loyal customer from 2010 to 2012 maybe. Whats next? i came from 2012...to 2021 WHERES MY OPTICAL DRIVE ?!?!? "I am without speech"
The current macs are outstanding, no matter what others complain about

Last edited:

anthonyd

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
To the OP, I understand your thoughts. I too was surprised, although in my use I didn't use the extension (brick to power outlet) and I doubt I was alone. Given most phones don't come with charger anymore, the lack of extension is likely another attempt to reduce e-waste

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France

OK frustrating for you, but a bit of an overreaction. Buy or reposition an extension cable?

G46&Fbnth5

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2021
A portable machine should be… portable.

A long cable would only fill up my bag for nothing. That’s the logic behind the shorter cable.

Free to think Tim did that to save $0.01 though if this floats your boat.
It was (is) a cable extension, that you could detach from the brick, if you didn’t want to carry it around with you.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Your local thrift store likely has a bunch of Apple extension cords for sale. I got three for a dollar each. It’s annoying that it’s not just included in the box anymore but at this point it’s what I’ve come to expect from Apple. There’s no nickel and diming that’s too petty for them.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
To the OP, I understand your thoughts. I too was surprised, although in my use I didn't use the extension (brick to power outlet) and I doubt I was alone. Given most phones don't come with charger anymore, the lack of extension is likely another attempt to reduce e-waste
I also never used the extra cord. plugged it into the wall. Don't understand the anger hereat all, it is a cord. the new one is plenty long enough.

Reactions: G5isAlive

killramos

macrumors member
May 8, 2008

Maybe in the future you should read the product descriptions on your $5000+ purchase before you buy it.

smrt

Cancelled
Sep 24, 2017
OP is 100% right here. I bought the cheapest Mbp in 2010 for around 1450$CAD and it came with the optional long cord for FREE. I’ve used this extension cord countless time in airport, coffeeshop and home. I also enjoyed the short connector when needed. The problem is Apple not supplying the connector for free for bs environmental reason. The cable should be available as a free option when you order the 96W powerbrick. Apple is only keeping margin here which is abysmal on a 5000$ laptop.

A Hobo

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Somewhere between Here and There
Just a bit hard to take the complaint seriously when his last purchase was nine years ago and the complaint he’s making now is that apple changed the box contents 5 years ago. SMH.

This is on the same level as wondering where the USB A ports went, they went the way of the dodo in 2016 as well. I might add.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
how can you be a loyal customer when you phases out the butterfly key macs?!you were a mac loyal customer from 2010 to 2012 maybe. Whats next? i came from 2012...to 2021 WHERES MY OPTICAL DRIVE ?!?!? "I am without speech"
The current macs are outstanding, no matter what others complain about
What's an OPTICAL DRIVE ?!?!?

Oh, now I remember... it's something I have barely used in years, and now that it has been removed, my MacBook is so thin and more portable than ever.

Intergalactic9

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2021
OP is 100% right here. I bought the cheapest Mbp in 2010 for around 1450$CAD and it came with the optional long cord for FREE. I’ve used this extension cord countless time in airport, coffeeshop and home. I also enjoyed the short connector when needed. The problem is Apple not supplying the connector for free for bs environmental reason. The cable should be available as a free option when you order the 96W powerbrick. Apple is only keeping margin here which is abysmal on a 5000$ laptop.
2010 was a long time ago.

Reactions: EmotionalSnow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.