Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
The best part of the extension cord was it removed that micro vibration you feel while it is charging which now exists due to inefficient grounding from the power adapter without the extension.

Yes, noticed this with my M1 MBA. I had purchased the extension cord when I bought the MBA, but wasn't planning on using it regularly. Those vibrations were so uncomfortable and distracting that they made the extension cable a necessary accessory for me.

What I find ironic is that people are willing to spend thousands and thousands on a computer but complain about a $19 USD extension cord.

Also, Apple tells you exactly what's in the box:
Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 10.47.12 AM.png

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
It seems to be 4ft? My cable is the same as the 2019 16. And the m1 air. They all seem the same length.

Apple's website says the power cords included with the new MBPs are 2m (6.56ft). See my post above this one.

Compared to my mid-2012 power cable + brick, half its length?

So your mid-2012 came with a 4m (13.12ft) power cable???

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Yes, noticed this with my M1 MBA. I had purchased the extension cord when I bought the MBA, but wasn't planning on using it regularly. Those vibrations were so uncomfortable and distracting that they made the extension cable a necessary accessory for me.

What I find ironic is that people are willing to spend thousands and thousands on a computer but complain about a $19 USD extension cord.

Also, Apple tells you exactly what's in the box:
View attachment 1932330

Can’t blame them though, it was a wire they provided previously and now decided to increase their bottom line a bit more to inconvenience you despite you buying a premium device.

Reactions: vddobrev

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017

Can’t blame them though, it was a wire they provided previously and now decided to increase their bottom line a bit more to inconvenience you despite you buying a premium device.

But I don't think it's changed. Apple's website says a 2m (that's over 6ft) power cord is included. AFAIK that's been standard for a while and is more than sufficient for a lot of people. It's better for them to reduce waste by not including an extension cord that tons of people aren't going to use so just those who need it can purchase it at checkout.

Spotlighter9

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2021
mqdefault.jpg

Take the extension cord from your 2012 MBP and slide it on your new power brick.

Or return your MBP if you're really that unsatisfied.
I couldn't agree more with this advice! I took the extension from my Late 2008 MBP and snapped it onto my 16" M1 power brick when it arrived.

It's a $19 fix without wastefully sending millions of these extension cords out to folks who probably already have one...and I don't think Apple even asks for these power cords when trading-in a device.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Jl006p

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
But I don't think it's changed. Apple's website says a 2m (that's over 6ft) power cord is included. AFAIK that's been standard for a while and is more than sufficient for a lot of people. It's better for them to reduce waste by not including an extension cord that tons of people aren't going to use so just those who need it can purchase it at checkout.

Fair point on the wasted cable. I guess it would be good if the one they did provide was grounded properly so it is usable while charging without discomfort.

Reactions: Spotlighter9

Spotlighter9

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2021
The best part of the extension cord was it removed that micro vibration you feel while it is charging which now exists due to inefficient grounding from the power adapter without the extension.
Exactly! For those of us that use our MBP as a portable desktop and keep them plugged in most of the time, it makes sense to want that extra protection of having a grounded 3-prong wall plug. However, I don't think Apple should feel compelled to provide me with this extension just because they did previously (They've now given me a Touch ID button and an enormous trackpad!) and I'm not the typically use case for the portable MBP.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Fair point on the wasted cable. I guess it would be good if the one they did provide was grounded properly so it is usable while charging without discomfort.

Yes - I mentioned in a previous comment that the vibrations bothered me enough to where I personally view the extension as necessary, but it may not bother others or they may already have a collection of extension cords from their previous Macs.

Reactions: Spotlighter9

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
This - can't believe they are allowed to ship like this, had to buy an extension cable to stop this from happening.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Ok, so now we’re nagging about cables. What’s next?
The only nags that exists for me is lack of FaceID (many websites require me to have to press it once to auto fill the username/email and another for the password with many websites separating the two fields in design) and USB-A port (sadly so much of the world is still USB-A including most peripherals and I keep losing my dongles!).

That’s a good showing by Apple though and credit to them, most of my other premium laptops definitely have more than just two nags.

Reactions: aevan

Chevysales

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2019
Just Googled this, and it turns out Apple ditched its long cord in 2016. Great.

Why is Apple asking me to buy an aftermarket cord for $3 when I just spent $5k on a premium machine and experience?

Oh well. Such is life.
or buy the extension they used to include with power brick part that slides off... for $29.95. I just kept one from my 2019 16"
***ive never heard or felt this :vibration" some are talking about and yes I work in a quiet location where I should be able to hear this.

Last edited:

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
This - can't believe they are allowed to ship like this, had to buy an extension cable to stop this from happening.

Well, it may not bother a lot of people (we tend to erroneously assume that what bothers us must bother everyone) and of course this only applies if you use the MBA/MBP while connected to AC power (vs unplugged or docked). It definitely doesn't prevent you from using the computer, but it can be annoying to some (like you and me).

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Never experienced this before in 25 years of owning Macs. How can I replicate this?

If you have a newer aluminum MacBook, plug it into AC power without the grounded extension. Then move your finger anywhere along the case. You will feel it. For some reason, this didn't happen with my 2012 MBA though. Not sure what the difference was.

Reactions: rawweb and ericwn

EmotionalSnow

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Linz, Austria
I can somewhat understand that it is annoying to have to buy a longer cable separately - especially after you already paid $5000. But an extra $20 won't even make a dent in your wallet. And the reality is that a lot of people probably never used this cable so removing it definitely does help the environment.

Reactions: nastysailboat

nastysailboat

Cancelled
May 7, 2021
Since we’re on the charging cable. Can we talk about how great the new braided cable is. Looks good, feels good, doesn’t get all twisted up easily. I love it! Like can we get this for the all the other cables too Apple?

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
Well, it may not bother a lot of people (we tend to erroneously assume that what bothers us must bother everyone) and of course this only applies if you use the MBA/MBP while connected to AC power (vs unplugged or docked). It definitely doesn't prevent you from using the computer, but it can be annoying to some (like you and me).

We've had people on these forums complain for years that this was happening. And we have to convince them that their machine is not broken. That's terrible UX. It's embarrassing Apple doesn't provide the extension cord or a grounded duck head. Whatever excuse they use to not include either (particularly the environment) is lame.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/weird-static-vibration-when-charging.2133850/ from 2018
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...h-it-when-plugged-in-vibrate-feeling.2191033/ from 2019

I can go on and on. The machine might work perfectly but it is constantly brought up.

A Hobo

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Somewhere between Here and There
Never experienced this before in 25 years of owning Macs. How can I replicate this?
It’s very difficult to, because voltage sensitivity varies person-to-person.

If you want to try to replicate this, take a slightly sweaty hand and lightly brush an aluminium surface of a charging MacBook: while it’s only using the ungrounded Duckhead. You may feel what appears to be a ‘vibration’ or tingling of some kind through slightly sweaty fingers. You can also try with the skin between your second and third knuckle as this is very sensitive skin.

If you can’t perceive anything- congrats you’re one of the many folk that have no issue with this. If you can sense that ‘vibration’, that voltage basically then if you use the grounded cable it removes this effect.

I can tell within a second or two if I’m handling any unearthed AV equipment/macs as a side effect to to rolling all my skill points into perception or summat.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.