Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
We've had people on these forums complain for years that this was happening. And we have to convince them that their machine is not broken. That's terrible UX. It's embarrassing Apple doesn't provide the extension cord or a grounded duck head. Whatever excuse they use to not include either (particularly the environment) is lame.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/weird-static-vibration-when-charging.2133850/ from 2018
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...h-it-when-plugged-in-vibrate-feeling.2191033/ from 2019

I can go on and on. The machine might work perfectly but it is constantly brought up.

I wasn't saying the issue isn't old or frequently brought up; I'm just saying it probably doesn't bother a lot of users like it does you and me. It's strange to me, though, that my 2012 MBA didn't have this issue. I could plug the AC adapter directly to the wall and the MBA case would not experience any of these "vibrations". I wonder what the difference was. Must've been internal.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I don't get why people get upset and tell the OP "just buy the extension".

Apple has been nickle and diming on included accessories for years now. Apple laptops used to come with a DVI, VGA dongles back in the day, including the power extension cable.

iPhones no longer come with chargers or earbuds, how long before Apple starts selling laptops without a charger, because you should already have a USB-C charger.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
It’s very difficult to, because voltage sensitivity varies person-to-person.

If you want to try to replicate this, take a slightly sweaty hand and lightly brush an aluminium surface of a charging MacBook: while it’s only using the ungrounded Duckhead. You may feel what appears to be a ‘vibration’ or tingling of some kind through slightly sweaty fingers. You can also try with the skin between your second and third knuckle as this is very sensitive skin.

If you can’t perceive anything- congrats you’re one of the many folk that have no issue with this. If you can sense that ‘vibration’, that voltage basically then if you use the grounded cable it removes this effect.

I can tell within a second or two if I’m handling any unearthed AV equipment/macs as a side effect to to rolling all my skill points into perception or summat.
Yeah I have this allll the time. I’m very sensitive to electric vibrations/currents so every Mac I have used I experience this. Even my Mac mini has this problem, so it’s not limited to just the MacBooks. I now have my Mac mini plugged into a UPS and the better grounding seems to have stopped it.

As far as the complaints about the extension not being included, it’s been 5 years. It’s not coming back, and it wasn’t even that big of an issue when they did it. Why? Because the length of the cable running from the brick to the computer was upped from… I wanna say 1 or 1.5m to 2m. This is a much bigger deal to me as I would constantly be dragging my old MagSafe brick across the floor, trying to find a place to stick it when I was switching positions further from the outlet. The newer cables are long enough that the brick never moves now.

Someone else said they picked up a bunch at a thrift store for $1ea. I picked up probably 4-5 this way, for $1-$3. They’re nice to have on hand but the fact that most were brand new *in the wrapper* speaks to the fact that no one used them and Apple made the right call to can them. If you just have one, go to Goodwill’s cable section. I bet they’ll have one. If you’re too good for that, go on eBay, you’ll probably find one for under $10. If you’re still too good for that, go to Apple and it’s $20.

I love that people complain about this but don’t commend Apple for being one of the few companies to have the brick be totally detached from both cables. Most other laptop manufactures will make you buy a whole brick if something happens to the cable running to the machine.

Reactions: aevan and G5isAlive

DanteHicks79

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2019
Silicon Valley
The hilarious thing is that you didn't buy a new computer for 9 years, and yet you're heated at Apple.

Reframe things. Your computer was a solid workhouse for 9 years before you felt the need to replace it. In the age of disposable tech, to get almost a decade out of a single device is kinda amazing, if not almost impossible.

(and to those who would say tech should last at least that long - sure, but also, if you want to stay cutting edge and need every last ounce of performance possible, you can't even reasonably assume that a computer is going to remain comparable for more than 5 years, at best. Any real techie knows that the best tech available is the thing that just came out the day after you bought your new machine)

My guess is that Apple did a cost/benefit analysis of how many customers actually used the extension cable with the brick, and determined that it was impractical to include it with every laptop sold. Sure, it might only cost a couple cents per machine, but that cost adds up when you scale to the production output Apple has.

If anything, get mad that Apple charges a drastically inflated price on their accessories to maintain their lofty profit margins. Actually, if anything, get mad at the stock holders for expecting Apple to maintain that profit margin on all their products to line their own pockets. You're mad at the wrong people, friend.

Last edited:

DarthMoops

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
Baltimore MD
Well now you've done it DJ. Somewhere in the bowels of 1 Apple Park Way...

MEMORANDUM

To: Everyone
Date: Dec 22, 2021
RE: $$$$$

To whom it may concern, why in the h*ll are we selling extension cords for only $19.00??
Xmas bonuses withheld until this is addressed!

Reactions: Big Bad D

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France

Apple has been nickle and diming on included accessories for years now. Apple laptops used to come with a DVI, VGA dongles back in the day, including the power extension cable.

iPhones no longer come with chargers or earbuds, how long before Apple starts selling laptops without a charger, because you should already have a USB-C charger.
You make a fair point. Sometimes the reaction is because of the exaggerated or unreasonable way the issue is posted. OK, Apple could do better, but life’s too short to get so upset when the fix is so cheap and simple.

Reactions: ericwn

arche3

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2020
Yeah I have this allll the time. I’m very sensitive to electric vibrations/currents so every Mac I have used I experience this. Even my Mac mini has this problem, so it’s not limited to just the MacBooks. I now have my Mac mini plugged into a UPS and the better grounding seems to have stopped it.

As far as the complaints about the extension not being included, it’s been 5 years. It’s not coming back, and it wasn’t even that big of an issue when they did it. Why? Because the length of the cable running from the brick to the computer was upped from… I wanna say 1 or 1.5m to 2m. This is a much bigger deal to me as I would constantly be dragging my old MagSafe brick across the floor, trying to find a place to stick it when I was switching positions further from the outlet. The newer cables are long enough that the brick never moves now.

Someone else said they picked up a bunch at a thrift store for $1ea. I picked up probably 4-5 this way, for $1-$3. They’re nice to have on hand but the fact that most were brand new *in the wrapper* speaks to the fact that no one used them and Apple made the right call to can them. If you just have one, go to Goodwill’s cable section. I bet they’ll have one. If you’re too good for that, go on eBay, you’ll probably find one for under $10. If you’re still too good for that, go to Apple and it’s $20.

I love that people complain about this but don’t commend Apple for being one of the few companies to have the brick be totally detached from both cables. Most other laptop manufactures will make you buy a whole brick if something happens to the cable running to the machine.
Have u seen the show better call Saul?

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
I miss the extension cord too, mostly because it has ground tabs which takes away the tingly feeling when touching the laptop. I’ve kept my old ones and use them.

Cancelled
Sep 24, 2017
Apple should simply offer the option for free when you order a CTO/96 watts power brick model. Case close. When Audi tried to charge me 39$ for a usb cable when I bought my 70,000$ Audi I said either the cable come with the car or I’m buying my car somewhere else. It’s about respect toward your customers. Slowly and surely, all these margin boosting removal will ad up and one day customers will start moving away. Pepsi and co days are here.

Chevysales

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2019
If you have a newer aluminum MacBook, plug it into AC power without the grounded extension. Then move your finger anywhere along the case. You will feel it. For some reason, this didn't happen with my 2012 MBA though. Not sure what the difference was.
I currently am using the 2019 loaded 16" while waiting for my max to come and I feel nada, nothing, zip....

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
To clarify- I’m not defending- just explaining. I’d personally prefer a grounded duckhead. Dunno why it isn’t, as the extension is. ??‍♂️

I'm guessing because it would add extra bulk to the AC adapter since grounded plugs are larger then non-grounded ones. In other words, the AC adapter would have to be made a bit larger in all directions.

Chevysales

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2019

and cars used to come with full size spares and now they don't. so what things change.

Reactions: ericwn and usagora

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I currently am using the 2019 loaded 16" while waiting for my max to come and I feel nada, nothing, zip....

Well that's good for you, I guess. It's unquestionably there on my 2020 M1 MBA and I don't even have to wet my fingers to feel it as the other poster said. Mind you, I'm not complaining (I simply use the grounded extension), but I do find it bizarre why I can feel it on the 2020 MBA but not my 2012 MBA.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017

I will simply never understand why people get all uptight about this. You're spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on a top-notch device and then bemoaning the fact that some people MAY have to spend $20 or so dollars a pop for whatever accessories they need. If Apple didn't tell you what was included, then I could understand people complaining, but they clearly picture on every product exactly what is included in the box. And it totally makes sense to not include a lot of accessories, especially when a lot of folks will never use them and it just adds to waste. People just need to pay attention to what is and isn't included in what they're buying and plan ahead.

And the people complaining about the length of the included cable have not addressed my posts where I show the cable is actually 2m long - which is the same length it has always been AFAIK. That's over 6ft long. I don't think most users will need longer than that, but if they do, they can easily buy the extension for $19 USD (or whatever it costs in their currency) or use one they have from a previous Mac, and in the meantime we don't have wasted unused extensions.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The Apple extension cable:
Posted that to ask readers this:
Is there a 3rd-party equivalent to this?
(don't care about the color)

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Reactions: wilberforce

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
The Apple extension cable:
Posted that to ask readers this:
Is there a 3rd-party equivalent to this?
(don't care about the color)
If you don't care what it looks like:

This is exactly what I am using, hidden behind my table.

Last edited:

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
I’m not an electrician, but maybe they needed a shorter cable to push the higher 140w power safely without causing damage or fire risk, which your earlier mbp didn’t have to do.

just a thought. ?‍♂️

advan031

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
One POV: I paid 5k for this computer, it should come with a longer cord

Another POV: You paid 5k for a computer, just buy a damn extension cord

I agree with the latter.

cbsnbiker

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2007
how can you be a loyal customer when you phases out the butterfly key macs?!you were a mac loyal customer from 2010 to 2012 maybe. Whats next? i came from 2012...to 2021 WHERES MY OPTICAL DRIVE ?!?!? "I am without speech"
The current macs are outstanding, no matter what others complain about
Funny you should mention that. I have held off on buying a new MacBook Pro for years, because my current one has a built-in optical drive. They haven't been available for a long time. I use the drive on a regular basis, and I will miss it when I upgrade, which will be soon.

cbsnbiker

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2007
With my old (current) computer, I use the cord extension every time I use the computer. I even have more than one cord, and with each one I use the extension. It's needed to reach wall plugs.

I infer from comments, that I can recycle an extension with a new computer. This is good.

Reactions: anthonyd

anthonyd

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
Funny you should mention that. I have held off on buying a new MacBook Pro for years, because my current one has a built-in optical drive. They haven't been available for a long time. I use the drive on a regular basis, and I will miss it when I upgrade, which will be soon.
Interesting. What use do you have for the optical drive regularly?
I used to burn CD/DVDs regularly, but never really noticed my transition away. Suspect my iPhone was the key driver

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.