Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cymru1955

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
So after upgrading from the mid-2012 Retina MBP, waiting for all the garbage butterfly keyboard phases to pass, and I spend $5000+ USD on a new laptop, and I'm left with a short-as-**** power cable, compared to my 2012 machine? Am I in Lala-land? Is Apple actually nickleing-and-dimeing a customer who has been a loyal customer since 2010? It's incredible. To quote George Costanza, "I am without speech."

MBP 16", M1 Max, 64GB, 32GB.
Hi, have you tried taking the plug off the power brick and plugging in a figure of eight cable (what used to be called a cassette cable) into the power brick? then you can make the lenght from the power outlet to your MacBook as long as you want.

DravenInc

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
So after upgrading from the mid-2012 Retina MBP, waiting for all the garbage butterfly keyboard phases to pass, and I spend $5000+ USD on a new laptop, and I'm left with a short-as-**** power cable, compared to my 2012 machine? Am I in Lala-land? Is Apple actually nickleing-and-dimeing a customer who has been a loyal customer since 2010? It's incredible. To quote George Costanza, "I am without speech."

They knew you in particular were buying that very machine, and shortened the cable just for you. And, sorry..."loyal customer"? You bought your last laptop 9+ years ago. The Apple Juggernaut has powered along for years on your purchases.

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
I actually like it that Apple does not ship these anymore in the box and that they have kept it compatible for many, many years. I have a few extension chords from older laptops that I store in a box, and pick up when I need the longer size or put back when I do not need it anymore. If I did not have it anymore, I would be fine with buying one now and keeping it for the laptops to come...

Reactions: usagora and ericwn

cbsnbiker

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2007
Interesting. What use do you have for the optical drive regularly?
I used to burn CD/DVDs regularly, but never really noticed my transition away. Suspect my iPhone was the key driver
Several things.

I regularly import audio CDs, lossless.

Somewhat less often, I burn audio CDs, for distribution with résumés and for other purposes.

I own DVDs, and sometimes watch them. Sometimes I watch DVDs at friends' houses.

And more.

I use it less often now than in years past, but it still gets used on a fairly regular basis. A new (to me) CD is in the mail to me. I'll import it as soon as it arrives.

I'm a bit frustrated, in that it stopped reading CD-ROMS earlier this year. I started a thread asking for help about this:

but didn't find a solution. Because of COVID, I haven't wanted to go to an Apple store, even if they'll look at a laptop this old, and a local independent repair guy retired, I think.

I plan to get a new computer soon, now that the M1 Pro-based laptops are out. I can really use the higher horsepower. But I'll keep this one, at least for the time being. I guess I'll buy an optical drive for the new one, although it'll be a PITA to have to carry it around.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Several things.

I regularly import audio CDs, lossless.

Somewhat less often, I burn audio CDs, for distribution with résumés and for other purposes.

I own DVDs, and sometimes watch them. Sometimes I watch DVDs at friends' houses.

And more.

I use it less often now than in years past, but it still gets used on a fairly regular basis. A new (to me) CD is in the mail to me. I'll import it as soon as it arrives.

I'm a bit frustrated, in that it stopped reading CD-ROMS earlier this year. I started a thread asking for help about this:

but didn't find a solution. Because of COVID, I haven't wanted to go to an Apple store, even if they'll look at a laptop this old, and a local independent repair guy retired, I think.

I plan to get a new computer soon, now that the M1 Pro-based laptops are out. I can really use the higher horsepower. But I'll keep this one, at least for the time being. I guess I'll buy an optical drive for the new one, although it'll be a PITA to have to carry it around.
The last MacBook Pro being sold with a SuperDrive was 2012. I get that you use one on a frequent basis, but this question has been settled for almost 10 years. You’ll have to adapt or keep buying something with an optical that you can carry with you. Technology progresses, things get left behind.

Reactions: usagora

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
The last MacBook Pro being sold with a SuperDrive was 2012. I get that you use one on a frequent basis, but this question has been settled for almost 10 years. You’ll have to adapt or keep buying something with an optical that you can carry with you. Technology progresses, things get left behind.

Yes and external optical drives are so thin and light now (I remember my first was like the size of two bricks put together, lol) that it's definitely not a "PITA" to carry around. Simply slip it in your bag/case.

Reactions: Zdigital2015

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Yes and external optical drives are so thin and light now (I remember my first was like the size of two bricks put together, lol) that it's definitely not a "PITA" to carry around. Simply slip it in your bag/case.
Some people want an all in one solution for their laptop, which are fewer and farrer between now. Some users don’t even want to carry a charger with them, which I think is pure insanity, but I digress. Compromises are required in all scenarios, which some users here aren’t very good at recognizing or admitting.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Some people want an all in one solution for their laptop, which are fewer and farrer between now. Some users don’t even want to carry a charger with them, which I think is pure insanity, but I digress. Compromises are required in all scenarios, which some users here aren’t very good at recognizing or admitting.

I don't even want to carry the laptop itself. I want it to simply appear when I need and then disappear when I'm done.

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
Just Googled this, and it turns out Apple ditched its long cord in 2016. Great.

Why is Apple asking me to buy an aftermarket cord for $3 when I just spent $5k on a premium machine and experience?

Oh well. Such is life.
You need to improve your griping skills, or we'll kick you out of the club.

Let me help: First, you need to get a Really Big microscope. Then, use your AppleWatch with the stainless steel band while typing on your laptop for a week. Examine the area where the watch touched the surface of the laptop. Take photographs through your microscope. Give us a full report on AppleWatch's incompatibility with the MacBook Pro. We want to see every microscopic flaw.

justashooter

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2020
I received the Apple power brick extension with my 2012 MacBook Pro 13 and found it annoying to roll up to store and sometimes too short. I used the charger with the duck head most of the time. But on rare occasions need an extension so I made a regular extension cord that is a bit longer, takes up less space, can be used for other AC devices and is easier to roll up and store.

IMG_2761a.jpg

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire

Use the cord from your 2012.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Yep and I ordered one with my new MBP. I consider these essential and yeah, it sucks to have to buy but not everyone uses / needs them.

I have seven Magsafe I/II bricks with the extension cords for old MacBook Pros so I just grabbed one off the old bricks. Works just fine. Cool that an accessory from 2006 would work with a device in 2021.

DanteHicks79

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2019
Silicon Valley
I received the Apple power brick extension with my 2012 MacBook Pro 13 and found it annoying to roll up to store and sometimes too short. I used the charger with the duck head most of the time. But on rare occasions need an extension so I made a regular extension cord that is a bit longer, takes up less space, can be used for other AC devices and is easier to roll up and store.

View attachment 1933876

You sound like the perfect Fuse Reels customer. I've had one of their MBP charger reels for years; best thing ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.