Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AniSun

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2024
Just use the official instructions.

There are a lot of videos on Youtube as well. As the Sonoma is pretty new, I generally recommend to wait a little and go with Ventura for now. For that
- Install OpenCore Legacy Patcher 0.6.8
- Create Ventura installer on USB drive (external SSD/HDD or just 16+GB USB stick).
- Enable "Disable Firmware Throttling" feature before building and installing OpenCore!!! This is the one that prevents the battery issue discussed in this thread.
- Install OpenCore EFI on that external drive.
- Reboot and hold 'Alt' while booting to choose EFI loader. Effectively you will be using non-native loader to bypass built-in checks that prevent installing newer OSes on older hardware). Macbook will remember the startup partition for the next boots, so you won't need to pick EFI anymore during installation.
- Select "OS installer" or whatever it is called to install the new OS.
- During the installation your screen will go black for a few seconds (less than a minute). Then will go back. Expect small fonts, this is normal.
- Once the OS is installed, install the OpenCore on internal SSD. This is for you to be able to load OS without the external SSD.
- Reboot to check that EFI on the internal drive is working.
- Install "Post-install patches". This is drivers back ported from old OSes into OCLP which are missing or not working in the new OS.

I confirmed that the battery issue totally gone on multiple laptops. Maybe there is a way to enable this "Disable throttling feature" in the native OS, but at this point I don't see a reason to not use OCLP.
Thank you very much, my problem has been solved.
I suspect it may be related to the MacOS version.
My original system was bigsur11.7.7, and I upgraded to bigsur11.7.10 through OCLP, but the problem still existed. Before the upgrade, I also enabled Disable Firmware Throttling.
Then I upgraded my system to Ventura 13.6.4, and the problem disappeared.
However, I am not sure about the exact cause of the problem, I can only speculate that it may be related to the MacOS version.
My computer is MacBook Pro-15-inch, Mid 2015.

bykim5

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2020
Wow thank you so much. I replaced the battery in a bootlooping MacBookPro11,5 and couldn't understand why everything was so laggy and the temps were so high with OCLP. I didn't even use OCLP until I installed a 2tb nvme with an adapter. Now running Sonoma smoothly.

burperinred

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2024
I've experienced the same issue on my MBP 15-inch Mid-2015 quite regularly. However, since the last OS update (Monterey 12.7.3, 22 Jan), everything seems to be behaving normally.

I've not used the laptop extensively on battery tbh and the changelog reports only generic security fixes, so I'm not sure if it's gone or just a lucky coincidence.

Has anybody noticed the same?

rvdveen

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2023
Happy to report that using OCLP with the Disable Firmware Throttling option prevents the configd issue on my Mid 2014 MBP 15". Unfortunately this seems to have a side-effect, of giving issues with waking from sleep while on battery (black screens and/or a progress bar that never completes). Building and installing OCLP with standard options again solves that, but gets me the configd issue again.

Anyone noticed the same? I guess it's asking much from an old machine and 3rd party battery, but would be nice to get it fully running again.

Stumbling4344

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2024
The mid-2015 15" Retina MBP is now considered vintage on the apple site. Has anyone found an aftermarket battery that doesn't cause these symptoms?

ethanielk

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2017
They told me that they had no more kits left. Did they just replace the battery or did they also replace the top case, keyboard and trackpad?
I suspect that it was for the whole top case replacement. I remember that they ordered the part from some storage facility, then called me to let me know that I can bring the macbook into the shop for the repair.

Also, you can go to this link (https://support.apple.com/15-inch-macbook-pro-battery-recall) and see if you can get your battery replaced for free.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I suspect that it was for the whole top case replacement. I remember that they ordered the part from some storage facility, then called me to let me know that I can bring the macbook into the shop for the repair.

Also, you can go to this link (https://support.apple.com/15-inch-macbook-pro-battery-recall) and see if you can get your battery replaced for free.

I had it replaced in 2021 and it's fine today. My 2015 was not eligible for the recall.

itank2

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2023
The mid-2015 15" Retina MBP is now considered vintage on the apple site. Has anyone found an aftermarket battery that doesn't cause these symptoms?
Just search for most expensive one on Ali to reduce risk, or find shop wich is selling only batteries for professional power tools like m feng tool store for example , from where my battery comes and is not causing any problems ( correct temp, simplo, one quirk is that manufacture date is old which could confirm that they are using original refurbished controllers )

megaksa

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2022
Just use any $40 battery from e.g. eBay and follow the OCLP instructions. You'll get the latest (or any previous) MacOS and no issue with battery. If you want to use a recent OS you would use OCLP anyway.

Last edited:

megaksa

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2022
BTW the battery from MBP 15 2013-2014 will also work for MBP 15 2015 if you do a simple mechanical manipulation to the battery (A1494 vs A1618). A1494 has a placeholder in the bottom-middle. It is empty and can be pretty easily removed to not interfere with touchpad board. I accidentally ordered it previously and just used it as it was cheaper (<$40) and I didn't want a hassle with the return. The price difference now is likely negligible to just use the correct one if available.

mobiletuner

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2023
iFixit batteries don't have these issues. However, they do swell up in about 2 years if you never disconnect a charger. As did the original battery for me, to be fair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.