Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

kmarriner

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2016
2) There is a new "manage storage" which you can get to from About this Mac > Storage.

Are the "Store in iCloud" and "Optimize Storage" options off by default? Those and the Desktop/Document continuity are my least favorite features by far.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
By "non-linear," I meant you can control how fast you open mission control depending on how fast you gesture. Here is a video:

Excellent, thanks for the video. Are the animations (specifically Mission Control and swiping through desktops) noticeably smoother when you have many windows open compared to El Capitan?

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
Spotify is using a GB of memory on boot for some reason. Beware.
[doublepost=1465882528][/doublepost]Safari sidebar has thumbnails for bookmarks now and the reading list has a different look with big website thumbnails instead of article photo thumbnails now.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I’m surprised that people are still willing to take this risk.
There isn't really a risk if you don't run software from dodgy sites. Even with it set to Anywhere, you still get an "allow/block" request the first time you run an unsigned app, so you're still not running anything unexpected. I originally used the default option, until I ran into a legitimate app that launched a "helper" internally - that was failing with no option to unblock until I changed the setting to Anywhere. I've kept it set like that ever since.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Excellent, thanks for the video. Are the animations (specifically Mission Control and swiping through desktops) noticeably smoother when you have many windows open compared to El Capitan?

They don't seem any smoother than the were on El Capitan. However, I never noticed any choppiness or lag before on my non-retina MBP, so I don't think it could've gotten much better.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
In Finder, there's now a short fade-in animation when loading the contents of a folder in icon view.
There is also a new sorting animation when changing sorting types (name, date, creation date, etc), don't know if it is in every mode, i have only tested in miniature view (or whatever its called on the english version)

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Opening mission control/expose with trackpad gestures is a lot smoother. It's similar to opening Notification Center or launchpad with the trackpad, where the animation is non-linear. You can control the speed of the animation depending on how fast you swipe up or down. Hope that made sense :p

EDIT: Here's a video if my description didn't make sense:

It also appears that minimized apps no longer show in Mission Control. Which to me defeats the purpose of the feature. Am I the only person that obsessively minimizes so the desktop is visible behind a lone app, but still likes to use MC to navigate between? I have never been an cmnd+tab guy.

Reactions: Applestock

rybak17

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2010
Poland
New theme
AIsh8FF.png

exaM1i5.png

Last edited:

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
It also appears that minimized apps no longer show in Mission Control. Which to me defeats the purpose of the feature. Am I the only person that obsessively minimizes so the desktop is visible behind a lone app, but still likes to use MC to navigate between? I have never been an cmnd+tab guy.

They still show up if you use app exposé.

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014

Nah. I hate minimizing stuff. I just swipe between full screen apps. Never been quicker or most efficient.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
They still show up if you "show application windows" or use "app exposé"

Can you describe what you mean by "show application windows"? I can't find anything in System Prefs.
[doublepost=1465884251][/doublepost]
Nah. I hate minimizing stuff. I just swipe between full screen apps. Never been quicker or most efficient.

I have tried to get used to doing this but just can't. I'm stuck in my ways, I suppose.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Can you describe what you mean by "show application windows"? I can't find anything in System Prefs.

You activate it with the keyboard command ctrl-down arrow, or if you have a multi-touch trackpad, swipe down with 3-4 fingers. It only shows the windows of the application that is currently active, including the ones minimized in the dock.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
You activate it with the keyboard command ctrl-down arrow, or if you have a multi-touch trackpad, swipe down with 3-4 fingers. It only shows the windows of the application that is currently active, including the ones minimized in the dock.

Ahhhh. I know about this feature. But this still doesn't do it for me. For instance, I have Safari open, everything else minimized to avoid clutter (about 6 apps total) and now I can no longer see them in Mission Control like I used to. So basically Mission Control and App Expose look exactly the same to me now.

Hoping this is a bug, not a feature, as to me it defeats the purpose of Mission Control entirely. I don't want 6 apps running on a 13" screen, and I don't like using full screen mode as I frequently access Finder and the desktop for work that I do. It makes more sense to use it as a "traditional" windowed OS, and Mission Control has always allowed me to easily see everything as though it were open at once, without actually having to have it on screen. Now it unfortunately does not function that way, which makes me kind of fail to see the point of the feature.

Admittedly, I do not use multiple desktops/spaces so I am probably in a very small minority of users who uses MC in this way.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.