Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ErikGrim

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
LOL, you know that window is expandable, yeah?
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 21.29.49.png

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Bluetooth updated to version 5 on my iMac 2013. I did read the forum, didn't see it mentioned.
:O Isn't the official announcement not until the 16th? In any case, that would definitively mean that no new hardware is needed, which is great.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
How does optimized storage work? How do iCloud-only files look like locally? Any selective sync/always keep local/always keep offline options? Very curious about it and would love to see screenshots of all the menus and options.

I sincerely hope there is an option to turn this off. I would NOT want my old files deleted just because I hadn't used them for awhile, or because I need to have older OS-X installers. :(

Reactions: DotCom2 and smizzle

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I’m surprised that people are still willing to take this risk. I don’t even notice that Gatekeeper is on and virtually every serious developer signs their applications. Only old and some open-source software is not, but then you can still override that. Turning it off completely was never even necessary.

But what's the point of having GateKeeper on, when you'll click "Open Anyway" anyway? The whole point is for it to say "hey, this is suspicious, because it's not signed, you shouldn't open it because it's likely a virus or something bad". Except there are tons of apps that are totally fine but aren't signed, so just like with Windows, these warnings become meaningless and you get into the habit of just ignoring it because it's always a false positive. One day you get a malicious file, you'll click "Open Anyway" because that's what you always click.

Just a few apps I use that I believe aren't signed:
- Audacity
- MPEG Streamclip
- Jubler
- Aegisub
- Vice
- Nestopia

When I want to run an app, it's because I actually decided that I need it. If GateKeeper says I shouldn't use it, but the app isn't malicious, then GateKeeper is useless.

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
But what's the point of having GateKeeper on, when you'll click "Open Anyway" anyway? The whole point is for it to say "hey, this is suspicious, because it's not signed, you shouldn't open it because it's likely a virus or something bad". Except there are tons of apps that are totally fine but aren't signed, so just like with Windows, these warnings become meaningless and you get into the habit of just ignoring it because it's always a false positive. One day you get a malicious file, you'll click "Open Anyway" because that's what you always click.

Just a few apps I use that I believe aren't signed:
- Audacity
- MPEG Streamclip
- Jubler
- Aegisub
- Vice
- Nestopia

When I want to run an app, it's because I actually decided that I need it. If GateKeeper says I shouldn't use it, but the app isn't malicious, then GateKeeper is useless.

VLC
Onyx
SeaMonkey
GPGTools
Thunderbird (maybe ?)

Reactions: baryon

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
As I understand it the new filesystem is coming out before 2017, but can you upgrade to it without starting over if you start on Sierra?

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
Lots of "lay"-people run software at will. However I am still sure you can switch to anywhere from the command line as before using
Code:
sudo spctl --master-disable
GateKeeper will also deny opening if a signed app has been compromised or the developer-cert has been blacklisted.

munchee13

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
Has anyone gotten "Auto Unlock" to work yet? I'm not able to get that going -- have Apple Watch at 3.0, iPhone at iOS 10 and running Sierra.

Edited: Answered on question from the release notes:
The ability for your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac is not in this seed.

Last edited:

SchlomoGoldberg

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Hi everyone.

Is Siri on Mac working for anybody?

In my case, Siri opens, it recognizes the microphone and my voice,
But no transcription and no results available.

My system: MBA 2012 11" i5

Branch

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2015
Question for Sierra users: has Messages finally removed the AIM etc options/support? It was never very good for that, and, like iPhone, messages should be for texts and iMessage only (in my opinion).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.