Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Not sure this has been discussed, but Copy & Paste Continuity doesn't seems to work from iOS to macOS, but definitely works from macOS to iOS (links, text, pictures).

IMG_3092.PNG

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
There have been third-party solutions for this but this is the first time it's actually been built into the operating system. Could be immensely useful for those that use head pointing mouse devices, like myself sometimes. It'll certainly be a lot cheaper than paying for third-party solutions.

Would you mind clicking on "Open Panel Editor" just so I could see what they allow you to do there? I imagine it has something to do with the dwell panel that will be floating on the screen for users to select commands when the dwell feature is turned on. Thanks so much for posting this.

-PN

Here ya go.

dwellpanel2.png

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
So essentially it's Apple's bowderlized version of ZFS.

ZFS is now making its appearance in various Linuxes and is an obvious next step.

But....unlike Apple, the real ZFS does not COMPEL one to use the Cloud.

The use of the Cloud, de facto, for organizations is a strategically bad choice, unwise.

Convenience for the sake of expediency always comes with a price.

Anyone tried PC-BSD 10.3 (comes with full ZFS) ?

Apple was originally going to go with ZFS several years ago - they even had a functioning port which they distributed to developers at WWDC. It had problems, but was mostly functional.

Unfortunately then Oracle bought Sun and when Apple requested Oracle's assurance that there'd be no patent trouble as a result of including ZFS with OS X, Oracle said no, so Apple dropped ZFS and (presumably) began work on APFS some time thereafter.

So you can thank Oracle for OS X being stuck with HFS+ for over half a decade longer than it should have.

Last edited:

xgrunerud

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2016
I'm the only one that click "Download" on the "10.12 Developer Preview" and nothing happens ? too many people are downloading ?

I fixed this by signing out of my account completely in the app store and then re-log back in to my account. When I did this the "download" button become a "resume" button. I was then able to resume the download. Hope that works for you.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Apple was originally going to go with ZFS several years ago - they even had a functioning port which they distributed to developers at WWDC. It had problems, but was mostly functional.

Unfortunately then Oracle bought Sun and when Apple requested Oracle's assurance that there'd be no patent trouble as a result of including ZFS with OS X, Oracle said no, so Apple dropped ZFS and (presumably) began work on APFS some time thereafter.

So you can thank Oracle for being OS X being stuck with HFS+ for over half a decade longer than it should have.

ZFS is my favorite filesystem. We use the open source version where I work, and it's amazingly stable and capable.

Oracle ending up owning it really hit me hard and made me quite angry. They don't deserve it.

assoc

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2013
I'm not exactly optimistic, but anyone know if they've added any additional OpenGL support?

Jhingha

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Not sure this has been discussed, but Copy & Paste Continuity doesn't seems to work from iOS to macOS, but definitely works from macOS to iOS (links, text, pictures).

View attachment 635890
in another thread, restarting your device should solve this.

Universal keyboard should work across all iOS and macOS devices.

OlivierK

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2014
Belgium
No Nightshift mode? I know there's flux (I use it and really like it) but that has some leaking issues when watching videos so an integrated solution might be better :)

Reactions: boston04and07

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
No Nightshift mode? I know there's flux (I use it and really like it) but that has some leaking issues when watching videos so an integrated solution might be better :)

Yeah, I was kind of surprised by this omission too. I like Flux, but I like Night Shift better. I have kind of a crazy work schedule and don't always want Flux to stick to a schedule, or automatically come on at sunset or whatever. I like Night Shift because you have the option to turn it on and off wheneber you want - a super simple option that I haven't figured out how to do with Flux (although maybe I'm missing something super obvious? Haha):rolleyes:

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

zigmund555

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2006
As I understand it the new filesystem is coming out before 2017, but can you upgrade to it without starting over if you start on Sierra?

No, APFS is scheduled for release in 2017, meaning probably in 10.13, so late 2017.

I imagine they'll figure out some way to convert from HFS -> APFS without a full reformat and reinstall, it's too early to tell though.

c.d.embrey

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2010
No interest in using Cloud Storage or Siri! If Sierra forces me to use Cloud Storage, I'll switch to Linux.

Deleting old files is also a bad idea. It's my computer and I'll decide what to delete.

Branch

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2015
Another Sierra question:

In photos, can you now EDIT the location of a photo? Currently, you can only remove one.

Also, to those who have Sierra and iOS 10, do Faces sync? (So that I don't have to add people to both devices). That would be awesome if they do.

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
Another Sierra question:

In photos, can you now EDIT the location of a photo? Currently, you can only remove one.

Also, to those who have Sierra and iOS 10, do Faces sync? (So that I don't have to add people to both devices). That would be awesome if they do.

Faces don't sync in this beta. Think it's mentioned in the release notes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.