Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Very curious to see what the Messages setting in optimisation does. I really hope we can an iCloud Messages Library so that we don't have to "restore from backup" just to keep our messages history intact.

This. I know it seems trivial but this was like, one of the top things I wanted to see with these updates, and seeing Messages in the list of apps using iCloud data does make me wonder about this! I'm not running the betas themselves yet but from what I've read, a corresponding setting isn't yet there in iOS. I'm hoping though it'll make it there before the final release. I'm very interested in what people running the betas see with this option as the next weeks go on.

She can also respond with text only.

Wait, do you mean you can type to her instead of having to talk out loud? If so, that would be fantastic...

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
No it isn't. I expect they removed it because absolutely no one changes that setting to 'Anywhere'.
I don't know anyone who doesn't change it to 'Anywhere.' And I know a lot of Mac users. If you've read the release notes (or one of the numerous articles about it already available), you would know that Apple stated that "Anywhere" has been disabled in the first beta release while they work on it. It will return.

Reactions: jgelin

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I don't know anyone who doesn't change it to 'Anywhere.' And I know a lot of Mac users. If you've read the release notes (or one of the numerous articles about it already available), you would know that Apple stated that "Anywhere" has been disabled in the first beta release while they work on it. It will return.

I don't change it to "Anywhere". I'd rather get the dialog when an app isn't from an identified developer. I can right-click and hit "open" to open it anyway.

Also, anything that might keep an app from being accidentally launched without my doing so is a positive thing in my book.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I don't change it to "Anywhere". I'd rather get the dialog when an app isn't from an identified developer. I can right-click and hit "open" to open it anyway.

Also, anything that might keep an app from being accidentally launched without my doing so is a positive thing in my book.
My point was simply that it's silly to assume that NOBODY sets it to "Anywhere" because there are a ton of people who do. I do it simply because I don't even want the inconvenience of one more click to open something. In 32 years of using Macs, I've never had an app I didn't want get magically installed or launched without me specifically doing it.

But I also understand that times have changed, and nefarious apps are getting harder to spot all the time. So it's good to have this security measure. And it's good that Apple sets the default with that security in place.

Reactions: ErikGrim

FoundAHalo

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009
Raleigh, NC
When connecting to an un-secured network, the Wi-Fi menu has a Wi-Fi Recommendations option, giving you quasi-handy information.
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 10.04.51.png Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 10.05.05.png

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

tampageek

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2015
Florida, USA
Reading through this thread it seems like hardly anything is changed. Did this really warrant a whole new operating system?
Seems like a repeat of El Cap - where Apple 'claimed' it was about new 'features' when in fact it was really all about SIP/locking down the HD. This is phase 2 and the system may end up being even more locked down with Apple pushing more control of your data to Apple's cloud.

Add this to a new subscription scheme for apps and you may as well just rent an iPad instead of spending thousands on a computer you have little control over. Very disappointed.

Reactions: thewap

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014

Where does it say that?

Branch

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2015
It seems to have gotten lost in a page back: does Message still support AIM/Jabber etc, or is it only SMS/iMessage?

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
No it isn't. I expect they removed it because absolutely no one changes that setting to 'Anywhere'. Instead they appear to have provided a (currently non-functional) 'Open anyway' button in the dialog that pop up when you try.

Speak for yourself...

Reactions: boston04and07

bondsbw

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
Can anyone check this?

There is no way in El Capitan to disable the drag-window-to-top feature which activates Mission Control, without also disabling "Displays have separate spaces". (This is a particular problem when the Mac drives a projector for presentations and I have to choose whether dragging a window or hitting the Full Screen maximize button on a window screws up the presentation.)

Does anyone know if this is possible now in Sierra?

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
Not sure if this is new but it's built into macOS now.

Dwell Control.

View attachment 635672

There have been third-party solutions for this but this is the first time it's actually been built into the operating system. Could be immensely useful for those that use head pointing mouse devices, like myself sometimes. It'll certainly be a lot cheaper than paying for third-party solutions.

Would you mind clicking on "Open Panel Editor" just so I could see what they allow you to do there? I imagine it has something to do with the dwell panel that will be floating on the screen for users to select commands when the dwell feature is turned on. Thanks so much for posting this.

-PN

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
View attachment 635666

View attachment 635669

Edit: Desktop & Documents was turned off by default.

Thanks. If I read this correctly only documents that are stored by myself in iCloud anyway and not used a lot are not stored locally in addition? When I listened to the keynote I understood it in a way that macOS Sierra will scan All local documents and move them to the cloud in case I do not use them often. This is of course much better if understood correctly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.