Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
Has anyone tried booting a MacBook Pro 2014 without a battery on Sonoma? is it possible to? Can it run at full speed ? (Or any MacBook without battery?)

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
Has anyone tried booting a MacBook Pro 2014 without a battery on Sonoma? is it possible to? Can it run at full speed ? (Or any MacBook without battery?)
That´s what the setting is for in OCLP:
Bildschirmfoto 2024-05-05 um 19.22.28.png

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
Done a it a few times on a 2012 rMBP for various reasons. It will semi-work but lack the proper current to do certain things that the battery is needed for regardless. So maybe not usable for anything "serious". If you are reluctant to buy a battery for some reason, borrow one for tests you may need? But it should boot.
My 2 cents. YMMV.

Last edited:

iMac'd

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2021
@iMac'd There are software updates (what you're used to seeing) and also firmware updates (lower level software that directly controls hardware). Neither should be auto-updated when running OCLP in case there is an incompatibility between the update and OCLP. Best to wait until the developers (or other users) have verified nothing breaks before installing an update.

Software updates: macOS 14.4.1, security updates, etc
Firmware updates: machine dependent and only available when running a supported OS for that machine

SilentKnight is a good tool that will tell you about the latest software updates and also tell you if your firmware isn't running the latest version.

View attachment 2374488
I've had about 7 responses to my original question and (unless I've missed the point somehow) none have so much as mentioned the issue let alone any answer; there seems to be three types of updates; System/Firmware and Security with some overlap, you seem to have clearly confirmed what I already understood i.e. that an OCLP OS cannot get firmware updates so checking it seems to be of no value. I just went into Settings/updates and discovered that settings had altered; I certainly had them all on off except for the first one; my original query was about the last one but now it seems that these options are only for finger exercising - unless I had them set in safe mode and they somehow revert; anyway this is now bigger question than my original one and raises another question: should I just pay for Win11 and abandon this bizarre "Alice in Wonderland" Apple/OCLP combo?
Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 9.29.02 PM.png

Last edited:

jgleigh

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
I've had about 7 responses to my original question and (unless I've missed the point somehow) none have so much as mentioned the issue let alone any answer; there seems to be three types of updates; System/Firmware and Security with some overlap, you seem to have clearly confirmed what I already understood i.e. that an OCLP OS cannot get firmware updates so checking it seems to be of no value. I just went into Settings/updates and discovered that settings had altered; I certainly had them all on off except for the first one; my original query was about the last one but now it seems that these options are only for finger exercising - unless I had them set in safe mode and they somehow revert; anyway this is now bigger question than my original one and raises another question: should I just pay for Win11 and abandon this bizarre "Alice in Wonderland" Apple/OCLP combo? View attachment 2375000
Safest to leave the last option turned off as well and manually install those updates.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/11armxc

Reactions: MacRumors3590

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Just in case someone finds this interesting: I have noticed high CPU usage on my 6.1 machine with suggestd and other processes running in the background which are seemingly unrelated to what I need this Macbook for on a daily basis. CPU was usually active with 90%+ on average.

After having done a bit of research, I turned off/signed out of iCloud completely and accessing everything related through Safari if needed. CPU idles now at around 65% and runs way more smoother. Upgrade to 8GB Ram certainly did its part.

Last edited:

Ready-for-Apple

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Germany
I've had about 7 responses to my original question and (unless I've missed the point somehow) none have so much as mentioned the issue let alone any answer; there seems to be three types of updates; System/Firmware and Security with some overlap, you seem to have clearly confirmed what I already understood i.e. that an OCLP OS cannot get firmware updates so checking it seems to be of no value. I just went into Settings/updates and discovered that settings had altered; I certainly had them all on off except for the first one; my original query was about the last one but now it seems that these options are only for finger exercising - unless I had them set in safe mode and they somehow revert; anyway this is now bigger question than my original one and raises another question: should I just pay for Win11 and abandon this bizarre "Alice in Wonderland" Apple/OCLP combo? View attachment 2375000
Toggle this off – or you will get problems earlier or later!
IMG_3960.jpeg

iMac'd

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2021
Toggle this off – or you will get problems earlier or later!
View attachment 2375183
I had it off but it seemed to get turned on by some unknown entity/programme; it's remained off for one day. Don't updates requiring patches automatically produce a notification from OCLP? (I left a device for hours after an update and there was none but this may be time related). I had the bottom setting on for months and never got any prompt; so what you are implying is that they will or may lead to instability and best to wait for them to be included in the "normal" updates?
Safest to leave the last option turned off as well and manually install those updates.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/11armxc
That's what I've concluded but it's basically only guessing; it's more prudent regarding OCLP and less so for security but I suppose security is around 99% user carefulness - but then I don't know what protection has been used with these apparently near daily "updates".

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021
Imac27,13.2, OCLP 1.4.3--14.5 Sonoma, OTA, no problems but interestingly before restarting at OCLP's request, there was a message saying that OCLP 1.5 was the latest official release, but Dortania still says 1.4.3. Am I missing something, I will do the nightly.

When I was using OCLP a few months ago, I would check a box in settings, that doesn't seem to be there now, does anyone else with 13.2 check a box if using the standard Imac setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: rehkram

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
MacBook Pro mid 2014 success from last beta to RC, 1.16gb after reverting patches for me using OCLP 1.5 nightly .
Only issue I had is edit widgets crashed on opening first time works every time after that . Awesome work from the Devs. Still can’t fault this (old) machine for what it does.

yachtpoint

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2024
Hello there! Been reading this thread for months.

I have iMac 27" Late 2015 and Mac Pro 2013 running with OCLP 1.2.1 and Sonoma 14.1. Here are some issues I faced:
1) Upgraded from Ventura 13.5 to 14.0 and noticed that both macs got missing model name and year in about this mac section. Thought this would be solved in 14.1 update, but nothing has changed.
2) Mac Pro connected to Thunderbolt Display doesn't show the video of the interlocutor in FaceTime when I make or receive calls. It acts like an audio call, no matter if the camera is turned on or off. Although on the other device you can see the picture from TBD. This was a problem in Ventura as well.
3) Noticed a weird bug working with external drives that I use with Windows in 14.1. As we know, macOS always generates ._ , .trashes etc. files and folders that are usually hidden in Windows. After 14.1 update they somehow became visible in Windows and have to be hidden manually.

Has anyone faced these problems too? Are the any solutions?
Were there any updates issue under item 2.
When using FaceTime on MacPro 6,1 14.4.1 and latest nightly can connect to or be called by 3rd parties no problem, but after initial connect and very brief video, video of the other caller/participant reverts to their non-video display screen the same as an audio call, with audio connection still working fine. Apologies if I missed any work-around in the thread..

Last edited:

MAlexB

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2017
(...) should I just pay for Win11 and abandon this bizarre "Alice in Wonderland" Apple/OCLP combo? (...)

Yes, this is an explorative endeavor, and this is exactly hat you've signed up for by being here; if you feel unsure/unsafe/unhappy/overwhelmed, I can only recommend that you follow the path of a supported system and wish you well moving on!

iMac'd

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2021
Yes, this is an explorative endeavor, and this is exactly hat you've signed up for by being here; if you feel unsure/unsafe/unhappy/overwhelmed, I can only recommend that you follow the path of a supported system and wish you well moving on!
Thank you for the confirmation; computers and their software have such complex interactivity and counting on free advice from a few activists can't be counted on; I didn't think (i.e. had no idea) that running a supported OS in addition to an OCLP OS on the same SSD would be so (apparently) problematic; it seems very few attempt this - so I now appreciate that I was exploring the outer realms without the know how. That stated; apart from some oddity every few days both OS's seem to work. I'm getting back to risk taker (explorer) mode and might try Google Gemini's dubious advice about disabling OCLP with a simple command line prior to a reinstall of the supported OS.

olad

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
I'm getting back to risk taker (explorer) mode and might try Google Gemini's dubious advice about disabling OCLP with a simple command line prior to a reinstall of the supported OS.
I am glad you used the word 'dubious' for the 'advice' from Google Gemini(?). Most of us on this thread have found that, by carefully following the instructions and recommendations of the OCLP developers, more or less everything goes well. Nothing is perfect, but OCLP makes a good stab at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.