Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
Yes, I know it. OCLP > Settings not the looking I for. I tried a couple of settings to there, e.g., I set the SIP to 0x0, which is enabling to the SIP. But when I look under the NVRAM with Terminal SIP still shows disabled. And, yes I reset the NVRAM. Still, the settings here are not what I'm looking for. I want OpenCore to not completely interfere with SIP.
Yes, I know you know. After you set SIP in OCLP > Settings, Build and Install Open Core (OC is not updated until you do this), reboot, Reset NVRAM and then launch macOS.

EDIT: Make sure you have only one instance of OC EFI installed in your system so you know you're booting with the updated version of OC EFI.

EDIT2: If you don't want to risk the possibility that you can't boot after you make changes, Build and Install Open Core (with your desired SIP) to a USB thumb drive and test your new OC EFI by booting from the thumb drive.

telepati

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
Yes, I know you know. After you set SIP in OCLP > Settings, Build and Install Open Core (OC is not updated until you do this), reboot, Reset NVRAM and then launch macOS.

EDIT: Make sure you have only one instance of OC EFI installed in your system so you know you're booting with the updated version of OC EFI.
Thanks, I know the process. I already did, as you mentioned, but it doesn't work. Because this is still OpenCore's intervention. I don't want this.

telepati

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
Forgive me for the bold statement, but you're doing something wrong.

EDIT: @telepati While you can achieve what you want with OCLP, why don't you manually edit your OC config.plist and set SIP to 0?
You can speak clearly, I don't mind. Since I'm just trying to set up an experimental system, it's normal to have these oddities. So there's no problem with your suggestions, it's just not what I'm looking for.

As you can see in my signature, I have an old iMac and I tried to install all macOS from Big Sur to Sonoma on this computer with OCLP. Since it did not have metal graphics support, its performance was very bad and it also had Bluetooth issues.

I decided to switch to Catalina and use OpenCore as the bootloader instead of Dosdude's apfs.efi. I also use Dosdude's patches.

My system is working. I made the necessary settings from the config file. I just need to intervene a few things in the System files. But SIP is blocking me. That's why I want to OpenCore not to intervene in SIP. There is most likely a conflict, but I need to find where it is. No matter what I did, I couldn't find a solution to this. I think I need to read the official guide again.

Reactions: roronl

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
I decided to switch to Catalina and use OpenCore as the bootloader instead of Dosdude's apfs.efi. I also use Dosdude's patches.
Ok. Just don't let the OT Police see this. 🤣

If you do read the official guide, it will tell you not to use DosDude with OCLP. I think it should work, but it's not supported.

EDIT: I didn't respond with any more SIP suggestions because I'm thoroughly confused. You want SIP to be fully enabled, but you're unhappy that SIP is blocking?

telepati

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
Ok. Just don't let the OT Police see this. 🤣

If you do read the official guide, it will tell you not to use DosDude with OCLP. I think it should work, but it's not supported.

EDIT: I didn't respond with any more SIP suggestions because I'm thoroughly confused. You want SIP to be fully enabled, but you're unhappy that SIP is blocking?
Normally, when we use Dosdude Patcher, we can intervene in SIP from recovery. However, since OpenCore gets SIP from the config.plist at boot, the two patches are most likely conflicting. I want to restrict OpenCore from interfering with SIP.

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
@telepati Ok - that's different from wanting SIP -> 0. Now this is getting way OT. Have you tried removing NVRAM -> Add -> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 -> csr-active-config from OC config.plist? To be honest, I don't know OC's default SIP behavior without it, but you can try.

Reactions: telepati

telepati

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
@telepati Ok - that's different from wanting SIP -> 0. Now this is getting way OT. Have you tried removing NVRAM -> Add -> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 -> csr-active-config from OC config.plist? To be honest, I don't know OC's default SIP behavior without it, but you can try.
I thought about this, but I think this intervention may prevent me from booting. So, I want to read the manual thoroughly before trying this.

maurer

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2022
I install 14.5 Sonoma with 1.4.3 OCLP and I have 2 problems:

1. On Boot I have an option for choose the drive and after that it boot as normal. So how to remove that thing to boot normal without that screen?

2. Magic mouse is found on bluetooth but after that keeps founding and nothing, just lost it. Any help for this?

Thank you!

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006

1. On Boot I have an option for choose the drive and after that it boot as normal. So how to remove that thing to boot normal without that screen?

2. Magic mouse is found on bluetooth but after that keeps founding and nothing, just lost it. Any help for this?

Thank you!
ctrl-enter on the drive that you want to boot from is standard behaviour to set and remember the bootdrive.
First the OCLP EFI, then the Mac partition/drive. No idea about the Magic Mouse other than delete the instance of it in BT settings and then add it again. Can help sometimes. Good luck.

telepati

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009

Thank you!
OCLP > Settings, Untick show bootpicker and set boot time Zero. Create and Install to your EFI.

maurer

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2022
Tnx for 1st question, it's done!

Now only bluetooth connection to magic mouse is the problem :/
I click on Connect, but after that when it says connected, there is no device on My Devices and it is not connected.

Reactions: houser

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Tnx for 1st question, it's done!

Now only bluetooth connection to magic mouse is the problem :/
I click on Connect, but after that when it says connected, there is no device on My Devices and it is not connected.
Try this. Connect the mouse to the Mac with your physical charging cable and leave it connected for, say, 15 seconds. Disconnect the cable and try to connect again. That's what works for me after an update when the mouse won't connect.

If you remember back to when you first got the mouse you had to do this the first time you set it up. My theory is it needs that physical connection to reestablish coms. Probably a security thing.

Portiere

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2022
Updated on my Mac mini L2012 quad core internal SSD Sonoma to 14.5 OCLP 1.5.0n.
Everything works, Thunderbolt 2/3, Firewire 400/800, Usb 2/3 Magic Mouse and Magic Keyboard(BT), WIFI.
Thanks a lot to developers.

Reactions: VintageMacGS

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
rMBP10,1 mid-2012. Adapter is Apple branded TB2 to ethernet which has never failed since I bought it in 2012. After some research I'm pretty sure the failure is on the macOS software side so I'm not going to mess with it further because it clearly needs a clean install, which I'll do when 14.5 goes public.

Since this is not an OCLP issue I'd suggest it's off topic. ;)

Update on the above post. For the record, a clean install of 14.5 fixed the broken ethernet LAN connection via Thunderbolt to Ethernet. So that confirms it was not, directly anyway, an OCLP problem and most likely something got corrupted in macOS

No more having to use wi-fi thankfully. Man it's slow when you're trying to download 12 GB updates using 802.11n wi-fi. That's another good justification for upgrading the wireless/bluetooth card.

Reactions: macinfo and hvds

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Is it possible to tell OCLP, I mean to OpenCore to not control the SIP? I want to use official SIP control, when I need it I want to disable or enable from Recovery.
Why don’t you drop Mykola an email in regards? He is likely better equipped to provide a satisfying answer to this?

maurer

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2022
Try this. Connect the mouse to the Mac with your physical charging cable and leave it connected for, say, 15 seconds. Disconnect the cable and try to connect again. That's what works for me after an update when the mouse won't connect.

If you remember back to when you first got the mouse you had to do this the first time you set it up. My theory is it needs that physical connection to reestablish coms. Probably a security thing.
It is not possible coz that magic mouse is on AA bateries and don't have charging connection.

Reactions: rehkram

iMac'd

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2021
Note: I didn't read/understand your earlier post fully. My responses are only related to the quoted post.

OCLP is set to auto start up, and if it detects that your system needs root patches, it will prompt you. But that can sometimes fail to detect. In the case where you know the system needs root patches but OCLP does not prompt you, you can manually open up OCLP and install the root patches.

That is correct. The bottom setting references Apple's Rapid Security Response. There were confirmed precedence where installing an RSR in an OCLP system would prevent the system from booting due to the way RSR messes with volume signing. That is to say, IF Apple releases an RSR anytime in the future and you install it, it is highly likely your system will fail to boot with OCLP. The reason why you don't see any prompts or any uninformed user complaining on forums is because Apple has only released RSR twice to the public since its introduction more than a year ago, and after the subsequent public update it would no longer be possible to receive such an update.
The low frequency of people running into this issue is due to Apple's own self restraint in (not) releasing RSRs.
Thank you; I'm treating all information about OCLP as anecdotal but the detail you provided seems highly credible (and it's free). From what I can see the Dortania site only mentions updates on the intro. page; it's slightly ambiguous as to whether they mean for the OCLP app; but it looks like it's for the OS and indicates OTA updates without patching; that presumably explains why there is no mention of turning off auto-updating or the RSR area. I think that that advice is rubbish so it's an odd situation where the (apparently) official guide is best avoided so it's another search through anecdotal advice to form an educated guess as to how to arrange for any OS update.

iMac'd

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2021
Upgraded my MBP6,2 from 14.4.1 -> 14.5 without issues via OTA. Applying post-install patches with OCLP 1.4.3.
I can't find who/where today but I'm sure it seemed to be generally held that "Major updates" such as this one are not recommended via OTA; I've never seen a word as to what negative outcomes may occur but I found a number of dysfunctions occured after using OTA/patching to 14.4; some seem to have been fixed and others are minor - but were worse. Maybe OCLP unrelated but that would be quite a coincidence. It would be interesting as to how yours is after a week or two. (of course maybe particular setups are vulnerable and your's isn't or there is dysfunction but not that you've noticed or in areas you don't use).

hvds

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2017
Switzerland
I'm using an MacBook Pro 11,4 on 1.4.3 OCLP---- has anyone updated to 14.5 on 1.4.3? Should I wait for 1.5.0?
14.5 release with OCLP 1.4.3 worked well on MBP11,1.
Did the installation from USB installer.

14.5 release also on MBP5,2, using OCLP 1.5.0n (15 May).
1.4.3 should have worked as well. The important non-metal patches went into 1.4.3n on 18 March already.
Did a fresh install over data clone populated with CCC.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikelets456

Jérôme C

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2020

Thank you!

1. Open the OpenCore-patcher, then, go to settings menu, and click to unselect "Show OpenCore boot Picker" then, "return", and then click on "Build and install". Restart your computer at then end of the process, this should work.

2. Forgot the mouse, and then pair it with usb cable, that worked perfect for me.

EDIT : Just saw someone already answered.

roysterdoyster

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2017
MBP4,1 Early2008 successfully updated OTA from Sonoma 14.4.1 -> 14.5 via OCLP 1.5.0n of today in 2:45hrs. After update external Apple keyboard/mouse was not recognized. Shut-off machine by pressing ON/OFF button for 5 secs., upon fresh start everything went smoothly as expected.

Reactions: olad and rehkram

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
It is not possible coz that magic mouse is on AA bateries and don't have charging connection.
I see, it's an MM 1. I have both here, an MM1 & MM2. Have you tried this:
  • Switch it off and pull the batteries.
  • Let it sit powered-off while you "forget" the device in bluetooth settings.
  • Leave the bluetooth settings window open, put the batteries back in (or new ones), and switch it on.
  • Bluetooth settings should see it and pair with it.
  • Go into settings / mouse, and configure the various buttons, gestures etc to the way you like them.

Last edited:

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
I can't find who/where today but I'm sure it seemed to be generally held that "Major updates" such as this one are not recommended via OTA
OTA with OCLP is always an upgrade with the full macOS installer. I haven't had issues with OTA since the early days of OCLP. Is it possible that the problems you recall were reported by those who reverted root patches to "force" an incremental OTA upgrade? I do not revert root patches before my OTA upgrades (thus, the full installer).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.