Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

marcatrainbow

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2015
Hi Forum could you help me,

I have updated my 2014 iMac 15.1, to Sonoma 14.5 using latest Opencore version 1.4.3,
and the Os installs ok but when reboots the computer is stuck at 25% progress and the fan just spins, I have tried reinstalling using the 14.5 version downloaded from Apple and created a boot USB using Opencore and the same thing happens. I have been using OpenCore to update to the latest OS since Monterey with no previous issues. Is there a way to fix this boot issue? Would appreciate any help as don't look forward ti reinstalling all my music software and plugins.

Last edited:

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014

I have updated my 2014 iMac 15.1, to Sonoma 14.5 using latest Opencore version 1.4.3,
and the Os installs ok but when reboots the computer is stuck at 25% progress and the fan just spins, I have tried reinstalling using the 14.5 version downloaded from Apple and created a boot USB using Opencore and the same thing happens. I have been using OpenCore to update to the latest OS since Monterey with no previous issues. Is there a way to fix this boot issue? Would appreciate any help as don't look forward ti reinstalling all my music software and plugins.
How many times did it reboot by itself? What happens when you boot up in safe mode?

Reactions: mikelets456

Subarctic5216

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2024
@amaze1499 "Have you tried turning it off and on again?" Yes. Sometimes a cold restart may fix a boot hangup. A power re-set too. Unplug from power source after shut down. Press/Hold the power button for a few seconds. Restart and preform a NVRAM reset.

Subarctic5216

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2024
I have successfully updated my 2 Unsupported Macs to 14.5 with OCLP 1.4.3.
2014 MacMini 7,1 i7 16GB/500Gb
Late 2015 iMac 17,1 i7 64/1TB
My trusty update method is:
Backup with CCC
Download "InstallAssistant.pkg" (Thanks to Mr.Macintosh for the links)
Installing into each machine's Application folder. This saves me doing 2 OTA downloads.
Run Onyx/Maintenance
Re-Start
Install macOS Sonoma
Install root-patches
Re-Start
re-run Onyx/Maintenance
Re-Start.
So far OK on both Macs with Sonoma 14.5.
BIG Thanks to the OCLP Developers!
~And all the helpful people here on MacRumors!!

Attachments

• Imac.jpg
    Imac.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 21
  • MacMini.jpg
    MacMini.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 23

marcatrainbow

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2015
How many times did it reboot by itself? What happens when you boot up in safe mode?
The install seems to stop at 25% after the 3rd restart, I have reinstalled the software many times, reset the NVRAM, tried in recovery mode using terminal and the mrmacintosh fix and the computer will not restart in safe mode.?

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
The install seems to stop at 25% after the 3rd restart, I have reinstalled the software many times, reset the NVRAM, tried in recovery mode using terminal and the mrmacintosh fix and the computer will not restart in safe mode.?
You’ll need patience and a few more reboots. I had experienced a similar behaviour, even when trying to boot into safe mode. You get there eventually.

Reactions: David403

MacGeekYYC

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2018
Calgary
One short question.

Is it possible to get two Displays to work with a mac mini 2012 or 2014 with Open Core Lagacy Patcher (Sonoma) ?

If yes, how ?

1x HDMI 1x Thunderbolt ?

Does also work 2x Thunderbolt ?
If you are trying a specific configuration with OCLP and having issues, please describe the configuration and issues.

These are my personal general recommendations. YMMV.

I can't speak to the 2014 Mini, but I went through every possible Mac OS version that the 2012 could run over the years, with many combinations of dual displays.

With the 2012 I found it was best to use the Mac Mini HDMI port as the primary display to a display with a native HDMI connection. HDMI port to a DVI monitor with a good HDMI/DVI adapter also works. Trying to use the Thunderbolt output for primary video always seemed to end up at some point with the Mini forgetting what display to use.

For the secondary display with the Thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort connection, I would recommend a digital display using a good quality cable without any other kind of adapter or format converter.

So, Mini DisplayPort cable from the Mac Mini to a display with HDMI input using a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable, or Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort, or Mini DisplayPort to DVI.

Stay away from any kind of Mini DisplayPort to multiple output video cable, especially if you want to use a VGA display. If you want to use a VGA display, get a Mini DisplayPort to "active" VGA cable.

Portiere

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2022

Try safe boot and install root pathces and reeboot or install OCLP 1.5.0n in safe mode

Reactions: roronl

telepati

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
You can manually edit the config.plist to delete this NVRAM variable and do a deep NVRAM reset to remove the variable from NVRAM. You could also have OCLP build your config.plist with SIP fully enabled.

That being said you may need SIP lowered or off to boot Catalina with patches to allow it with a non-metal GPU. That's why I suggested you check the thread about Catalina (or Mojave) on unsupported Macs to see what specifically was recommended at the time. The security model for Sonoma is different than Catalina (or should I say evolved and more locked down) so what is required for Sonoma on non-metal may be very different than what is required for Catalina.

Regards,
sfalatko
Thanks. But I found some time today and found out exactly what the problem was. Since Dosdude's SIP patch makes changes to the system, no matter what value I enter in config.plist, it has no effect. Because I have already applied the patch from the system. I will reinstall the system from scratch and not apply the SIP patch, but I will allow the OC to intervene and disable SIP from the config.plist.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Thanks. But I found some time today and found out exactly what the problem was. Since Dosdude's SIP patch makes changes to the system, no matter what value I enter in config.plist, it has no effect. Because I have already applied the patch from the system. I will reinstall the system from scratch and not apply the SIP patch, but I will allow the OC to intervene and disable SIP from the config.plist.
What does the csrutil command (in terminal not in recovery) report for your SIP setting with dosdude?

I was not aware that a system patch other than an NVRAM variable could affect SIP for every boot. The config.plist is writing a variable and value to NVRAM that then controls SIP on every boot.

Curious to understand what you find.

Regards,
sfalatko

telepati

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
What does the csrutil command (in terminal not in recovery) report for your SIP setting with dosdude?

I was not aware that a system patch other than an NVRAM variable could affect SIP for every boot. The config.plist is writing a variable and value to NVRAM that then controls SIP on every boot.

Curious to understand what you find.

Regards,
sfalatko
In this post, he explains exactly how his SIP.patch interferes with the system. Its patch permanently patches the system file and SIP is always disabled. Even if the OC writes the values we manually added to the NVRAM, it does not actually activate it because dosdude's patch prevents this.

By the way, even if you intervene from recovery, it does not help. His patch makes SIP always disable.

This post it's also showing how dosdude SIP settings looks like

Last edited:

candidosoares

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2024
Why do I get this black screen on CapCut? - Sonoma 14.5
Parralels Desktop also receives this same black screen.
OLCP 1.4.3 iMac 5k 2014 AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB

I've already tested Sonoma 14.5 and the same thing happens, I've tested all the color profiles, it doesn't work

Captura de Tela 2024-05-18 às 17.00.00.png

Edit: cause of blank screen is driver wireless install after install OLCP 1.4.3

Last edited:

izajasz

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2024
Hey guys. Did any of You successfully install Sonoma on A1466 2015 model? If so, did following the basic instruction of opencore work or are there any extra steps to be taken?

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
In this post, he explains exactly how his SIP.patch interferes with the system. Its patch permanently patches the system file and SIP is always disabled. Even if the OC writes the values we manually added to the NVRAM, it does not actually activate it because dosdude's patch prevents this.

By the way, even if you intervene from recovery, it does not help. His patch makes SIP always disable.

This post it's also showing how dosdude SIP settings looks like

Got it. As I never used dosdude's Catalina patcher I didn't realize that's what he did. It makes sense - similar to what OCLP does because it's patching system files and requires SIP to be lowered. OLCP just does it through NVRAM.

Reactions: telepati

mironomom

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2023
Were there any updates issue under item 2.
When using FaceTime on MacPro 6,1 14.4.1 and latest nightly can connect to or be called by 3rd parties no problem, but after initial connect and very brief video, video of the other caller/participant reverts to their non-video display screen the same as an audio call, with audio connection still working fine. Apologies if I missed any work-around in the thread..
As far as I know, this hasn't been fixed yet. I even don't have a brief video.

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021
Imac27,13.2/Sonoma 14.5==When I updated to OCLP 14.5n I could not find "disable SIP" in settings is that done automatically now when it is necissary for different iMac models?

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
Besides downgrading to the last supported MacOS (Monterey in this case for MacBook 9,1 now with f/w 526.0.0.0.0), is there any way to force a MacBook 9,1 now running Sonoma 14.5 final with OCLP 1.50n to the last available firmware update (possibly 529.1.0.0.0). I think not but live in hope!

mwidjaya

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Australia
Besides downgrading to the last supported MacOS (Monterey in this case for MacBook 9,1 now with f/w 526.0.0.0.0), is there any way to force a MacBook 9,1 now running Sonoma 14.5 final with OCLP 1.50n to the last available firmware update (possibly 529.1.0.0.0). I think not but live in hope!

Possible.

Create a new apfs volume (for native macOS). Install to that volume. Boot into that, run all OS updates.

Once the firmware is updated, you can either leave the dual boot volume there or erase it.

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
I did not find any other way. However it doesn’t have to be a downgrade. Simply booting and updating from a supported OS on a different drive will do the job as well. At least that worked in my case. I just swapped the internal ssds to get the job done.

Reactions: roronl

LlamaLarry

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Northern VA
Yeah, I swapped from my third party storage in my 2015 MBA to a $18 OEM one so I could update the firmware (by OS Recovery of the latest macOS).

Last edited:

coolio2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Strange - silentknight doesnˋt find a new firmware update with native Monterey on my MBA7,2.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2024-05-20 um 19.49.47.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2024-05-20 um 19.49.47.png
    82.2 KB · Views: 36
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.