Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2022
Should I try installing Sequoia on my 2010 iMac 27" when OCLP adds support? It's gonna be wild! 😂

Mark1966

macrumors member
May 28, 2018
I installed Sequoia over High Sierra on an Imac 12.2 with original 1 gig graphics card.
Then it was possible to install the post patches, and make a new start to the desktop.
After that, I could at least select the resolutions of the graphics card.
On other macs i got no Start to the Desktop (Imac 12.2 with M6100) after applying the post patches, or was not able to start post pathing (Imac 14,x).

Rastafabi

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Europe
Should I try installing Sequoia on my 2010 iMac 27" when OCLP adds support? It's gonna be wild! 😂
That really remains to be seen. If there's something to be learned from previous releases, especially first supporting releases to any new macOS by OCLP tend to be basic. As in "most hardware and software works", but not "polished". Previous long standing issues wrestled with the inability to run certain applications like Photos.app or other things, which could invalided the desired purpose why you'd want to install it in the first place. Being a new "point zero" release it could be plagued by non OCLP issues as well, which could even be amplified by running it on our aging hardware.

It could even pan out to run better than any official supported OS ever has, though I think that's really unlikely.

To conclude: Even though the simple answer isn't satisfying at all, all I can say, that it remains to be seen, and is still to be determined.

Reactions: PowerPCFan

5T33Z0

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2022

I have a 27" 2010 iMac with an i7 and 16 Gigs of RAMl. In my experience, anything after Big Sur doesn't run as well, since it requires more resources (more services and tasks running in the background). Boot also takes longer.

sinbad21

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
France
Even though sequoia works on older Macs, it may be too slow for some machines. It would be useful to have a parameter in OCLP that sets a limit to a maximum version of the system, beyond which you don't want to go.

Reactions: pappkristof

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Even though sequoia works on older Macs, it may be too slow for some machines. It would be useful to have a parameter in OCLP that sets a limit to a maximum version of the system, beyond which you don't want to go.
I agree. From experience I can tell, each OSupdate gets more and more resource hungry. Not just RAM. Huge amounts of unnecessary background processes are lowering performance which could be turned off by default I assume. Like CGPDF. Turning iCloud off alone makes quite a difference already.

Mark1966

macrumors member
May 28, 2018
I agree. From experience I can tell, each OSupdate gets more and more resource hungry. Not just RAM. Huge amounts of unnecessary background processes are lowering performance which could be turned off by default I assume. Like CGPDF. Turning iCloud off alone makes quite a difference already.
Please edit your Quote #135 where you already have the link to the nighly's in it !!!

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
I pray there is hope in the near future for my Late 2019 Intel Macbook Air (Retina, 13 inches, base model). I admit I was a little shocked to learn that it wont get Mac OS Sequoia. Seems to me that it´s a little soon to cut support out.

Thank god for Open Core Legacy Patcher and their hard work!.

Reactions: macpro_mid2014

PowerPCFan

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2022
I have a 27" 2010 iMac with an i7 and 16 Gigs of RAMl. In my experience, anything after Big Sur doesn't run as well, since it requires more resources (more services and tasks running in the background). Boot also takes longer.
I have the one with an i7-870 and 12GB RAM, it has an almost-dead HDD but I'll be replacing with SSD soon, will that help it run a newer OS?

Also, note that this isn't my daily-driver, I use a custom PC and Lenovo laptop as my daily-drivers

plunger

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2020
Melbourne
Wholeheartedly agree. It's ok to generate awareness and then allow people to make their own decisions. On that note, someone should think about creating a thread with the potential consequences of running unsupported versions of macOS after disabling SIP, disabling Secure Boot, breaking the APFS seal and injecting an old version of the Wi-Fi framework.
I have no interest in OCLP for my Mac Pro 2013. I think I'll move it to Linux eventually.

Reactions: OKonnel

5T33Z0

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2022
I have the one with an i7-870 and 12GB RAM, it has an almost-dead HDD but I'll be replacing with SSD soon, will that help it run a newer OS?

Also, note that this isn't my daily-driver, I use a custom PC and Lenovo laptop as my daily-drivers

The SSD will help immensely. But you will have to figure out how to physically mount the disk in the system. You can't really use the original HDD frame since it's for 3,5" disks. A frined of mine 3D printed a frame for me. But you can also buy something online.

You also will need Macs Fan Control app to link the temperature sensor of the SSD to the HDD fan. Otherwise it will run at full throttle all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: olad

chris1111

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2015
Montréal Canada
Working here on HP Elitebook 840 G4 Wifi patching (Modern) BCM94360NG

Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 2.17.44 PM.png

Last edited:

olad

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
Accra, Ghana.
The SSD will help immensely. But you will have to figure out how to physically mount the disk in the system. You can't really use the original HDD frame since it's for 3,5" disks. A frined of mine 3D printed a frame for me. But you can also buy something online.

You also will need Macs Fan Control app to link the temperature sensor of the SSD to the HDD fan. Otherwise it will run at full throttle all the time.
I have used velcro to secure SSDs inside old Dell laptops - successfully. Unless one chugs the machine all over the place, velcro does very well indeed.

5T33Z0

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2022
I have used velcro to secure SSDs inside old Dell laptops - successfully. Unless one chugs the machine all over the place, velcro does very well indeed.

Have you opened up an iMac yet? Trust me, you don't want to open it again just because your velcro loses the battle against gravity :D

Reactions: olad and deeveedee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.