Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

TimmuJapan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
…….

PS: iOS18, MacOS15, iPhone16, it’s about time to clean up those Numbers anyway.
In total agreement with this, why not just next year?

iOS2025, MacOS2025, iPhone2025 ……..

or

iOS25, MacOS25, iPhone25…..

In the case of the latter, they don’t have to worry about a problem with the numbers for 75 years, and it would streamline and simplify the number naming system.

Last edited:
Reactions: olad and amaze1499

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
So what do you think? Is there a real reason to upgrade to MacOS 15 after all?
Immediately? No. Eventually? If you need later versions of Xcode that are not going to be supported by Sonoma, then Yes.

I'm still testing Sequoia installed on my HackBookPro6,2 (Dell Latitude hackintosh) without OCLP post-install patches. I've installed Xcode 16 Beta without issues

Screenshot 2024-06-14 at 10.09.06 AM.png

I'm even posting this in Safari running in Sequoia (without full Nvidia graphics acceleration) and it is amazingly responsive.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Immediately? No. Eventually? If you need later versions of Xcode that are not going to be supported by Sonoma, then Yes.

I'm still testing Sequoia installed on my HackBookPro6,2 (Dell Latitude hackintosh) without OCLP post-install patches. I've installed Xcode 16 Beta without issues

View attachment 2388836

I'm even posting this in Safari running in Sequoia (without full Nvidia graphics acceleration) and it is amazingly responsive.
Didn't realize you used Xcode, thought you used Microsoft visual studio for cross platform and just happened to use a mac. I remember something a while back you mentioning switching to windows for development, did that not turn out so well ?

deeveedee

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2019
Peoria, IL United States
Didn't realize you used Xcode, thought you used Microsoft visual studio for cross platform and just happened to use a mac. I remember something a while back you mentioning switching to windows for development, did that not turn out so well ?
Re-read my original Visual Studio Windows post. Xcode running in macOS is still a requirement for VS Windows to publish iOS apps to the Apple App Store. VS Windows remotely connects to a Mac running Xcode.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Re-read my original Visual Studio Windows post. Xcode running in macOS is still a requirement for VS Windows to publish iOS apps to the Apple App Store. VS Windows remotely connects to a Mac running Xcode.
Yeah it was a while back, so i probably forgot details, I'll re-read it at some point. Thanks for the clarification.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Slightly OT but if you're running an intel still-supported Mac with a display that hasn't looked right from day 1, definitely give Sequoia a try. I found that a Mac mini 8,1 2018 that always looked wrong color-wise is now working perfectly.

The Intel UHD Graphics 630 iGPU was outputting way too saturated on the red end. I tried all color profiles, tried cooking-up my own color profile, nothing worked, figured it was a dodgy iGPU and only kept it around as a fallback m/c

Sequoia has something going on internally that fixed this problem at a stroke. There's another user report of this on the Sequoia board here: Sequoia HDR Quantum Leap

Sorry, OT I know, back to unsupported. I'll definitely be installing macOS 15 on the unsupported rMBP10,1 when OCLP 1.6 goes public with root patching - I'm getting very good vibes from Sequoia on the MM

OKonnel

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
Italy
Here, it can be seen that the System Settings items in the left pane have indeed been partially reorganised, as previously rumoured:
Source: BTW, as said before, the dynamic wallpapers require graphics acceleration, so we’ll have to wait for Sequoia root patching in order to try them.
Hi @Sven G , but speaking of System Settings, since you installed Sequoia Beta, can you tell me if Apple has finally included the option to be able to choose the wallpaper that appears during the lock screen? Thank you.
Apple, in fact, up to OS X Lion completely hid images and with macOS, up to High Sierra, at least obscured and blurred the lock screen, while from Mojave or Catalina it continues to impose, perfectly in plain text, the background that we use for the Desktop and that -- in some situations -- we would never want to appear when we put the Mac to a stop and walk away from it for various reasons.
Unlike the iPhone and iPad, in fact (but also compared to Winzozz and Linux), Apple does not allow Mac users to choose a different image for the lock screen and forces us to repurpose the Desktop background that Mac OS X allowed us to hide and macOS, until High Sierra, at least blurred.

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Hi @Sven G , but speaking of System Settings, since you installed Sequoia Beta, can you tell me if Apple has finally included the option to be able to choose the wallpaper that appears during the lock screen? Thank you.
Apple, in fact, up to OS X Lion completely hid images and with macOS, up to High Sierra, at least obscured and blurred the lock screen, while from Mojave or Catalina it continues to impose, perfectly in plain text, the background that we use for the Desktop and that -- in some situations -- we would never want to appear when we put the Mac to a stop and walk away from it for various reasons.
Unlike the iPhone and iPad, in fact (but also compared to Winzozz and Linux), Apple does not allow Mac users to choose a different image for the lock screen and forces us to repurpose the Desktop background that Mac OS X allowed us to hide and macOS, until High Sierra, at least blurred.
I have changed that wallpaper/screensaver by setting it in the root account.

I assume it’s the same in Sequoia?

If I remember correctly there is also an app that lets you do that without logging in to that account.

• Love
Reactions: OKonnel and Sven G

jshayya0184

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2022
Sucess on my 2017 MacBook Air 7,2. Root patching with sequoia-development branch causes the machine to no longer boot (into Sequoia at least) while using the latest dev build from main gives the unsupported host OS error. Runs decently well for no root patches. Also noticed a new "Welcome to macOS" screen after setting up the clean install. Don't know if this was added at some point to Sonoma or it it is exclusive to Sequoia.

Attachments

• LWScreenShot 2024-06-15 at 1.50.31 PM.png
    LWScreenShot 2024-06-15 at 1.50.31 PM.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 129
  • Screenshot 2024-06-15 at 1.52.23 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-15 at 1.52.23 PM.png
    184 KB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot 2024-06-15 at 1.56.55 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-15 at 1.56.55 PM.png
    970.5 KB · Views: 131

Sven G

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2012
Milan, EU
I don’t think there are any news, for this (I will explore Sequoia better when root patching will be available). Personally, on Sonoma, I cannot change the default wallpaper with the hills as boot screen, because FileVault is enabled: I would like to have at least the default Sonoma wallpaper (the “coloured” one) if not my own one as boot screen, but sadly it doesn’t seem to be possible to change that with FileVault enabled.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macdctr

Sven G

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2012
Milan, EU
Anyway, the fact that there hasn’t yet been any announcement for Sequoia support from the OCLP developers, seems to confirm that Sequoia is indeed a rather minor upgrade, and hopefully without disruptive changes: let’s hope that root patching will be available soon (without, there’s no reason to experiment with the new macOS)…

Last edited:
Reactions: jshayya0184

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I think I've asked this before on a previous thread, but is FileVault the only factor here when it comes to the lock screen wallpaper ? I don't personally use FileVault, and I think, at least in Monterey the Lock screen wallpaper was what I set for my user (since I'm the only user on this system.) I think it also worked with Ventura, and Sonoma as well via Open Core Partcher. It's been quite a while since I've used Open core though

coolio2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Sucess on my 2017 MacBook Air 7,2. Root patching with sequoia-development branch causes the machine to no longer boot (into Sequoia at least) while using the latest dev build from main gives the unsupported host OS error. Runs decently well for no root patches. Also noticed a new "Welcome to macOS" screen after setting up the clean install. Don't know if this was added at some point to Sonoma or it it is exclusive to Sequoia.
How did you pass the unsuppoerted host OS error on USB full installer? I spoofed some different machines but doesˋt helped. I am on the same machine.

jshayya0184

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2022
How did you pass the unsuppoerted host OS error on USB full installer? I spoofed some different machines but doesˋt helped. I am on the same machine.
I used Install macOS 15 Beta.app from macOS Sonoma, and installed it onto a separate volume, and it proceeded as normal.

Reactions: olad

thewebgal

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
Don't use the upgrade function on legacy macs to install Sequoia! If you feel the urge to play around with it (which I strongly advise against becasue OCLP is not ready to patch it yet), download the full macOS Installer (Install Assistant.pkg) instead and install it on a new volume. This way you won't mess up you working install!

Bonus Info: since most kexts used in the hackintosh scene contain a "max OS version" entry for compatibility, kexts won't load if the macOS version is higher. Therefore, you need to add -lilubetaall to the boot-args in order to load such kexts.
I installed Sequoia Beta 1 on an external SanDisk drive on my Mac Studio M1Max (sonoma 14.5) . I have an external case with 4 drives for Music, Photos, and Videos. It updated my Photos library file so that won't open now in Sonoma. Just a warning.

MacStack_SSD_5164.jpeg

Last edited:

OKonnel

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
Italy
I have changed that wallpaper/screensaver by setting it in the root account.

I assume it’s the same in Sequoia?

If I remember correctly there is also an app that lets you do that without logging in to that account.
Thanks @amaze1499 , but the issue is of interest to me in general, in defense of privacy and in defense and protection of anyone who is weak in computing or who is naive.

Let me give some very simple examples: 13-year-old boy or girl with gay tendencies who as Desktop background wants to keep a picture in which he kisses tenderly with a same-sex friend or friend.
When he or she leaves the house, if someone touches the keyboard or mouse, for example, a family member or a maid while cleaning, the Mac will turn back on and the lock-screen will show the picture used for the Desktop background, betraying the boys.
I have given a trivial example that nevertheless could lead to bullying or to suicide attempts if this occurred in situations where kids were not yet mature and ready to come out.
But I personally know of other situations where the unintentional appearance of the Desktop background has caused inconvenience.

One can be unintentionally profiled if, for example, one belongs to a political Party and keeps the symbol on one's Desktop or if one loves animals or loves the sea or the mountains, etc., and any other aspect that it is not right should transpire because Apple insists on imposing its lock-screen choice and only with Macs and not with other devices.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Thanks @amaze1499 , but the issue is of interest to me in general, in defense of privacy and in defense and protection of anyone who is weak in computing or who is naive.

Let me give some very simple examples: 13-year-old boy or girl with gay tendencies who as Desktop background wants to keep a picture in which he kisses tenderly with a same-sex friend or friend.
When he or she leaves the house, if someone touches the keyboard or mouse, for example, a family member or a maid while cleaning, the Mac will turn back on and the lock-screen will show the picture used for the Desktop background, betraying the boys.
I have given a trivial example that nevertheless could lead to bullying or to suicide attempts if this occurred in situations where kids were not yet mature and ready to come out.
But I personally know of other situations where the unintentional appearance of the Desktop background has caused inconvenience.

One can be unintentionally profiled if, for example, one belongs to a political Party and keeps the symbol on one's Desktop or if one loves animals or loves the sea or the mountains, etc., and any other aspect that it is not right should transpire because Apple insists on imposing its lock-screen choice and only with Macs and not with other devices.
Good point Okonnel. I would suggest that people who live in an environment shared with ******s should think about this before selecting a desktop + lock screen graphic.

Last edited:
Reactions: thewebgal

Dimvol

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2022
Absolutely. It's too early.
For those who cannot install due to a kernel panic at the beginning: amfipass.kext causes a kernel panic. Remove by replacing with argument amfi=0x80.

Carrotstick

Suspended
Mar 25, 2024
Admittedly, Sequoia's wallpaper, whether in light or dark mode, is bad because it causes great visual stress, especially in the presence of icons on the desktop, and demonstrates a deterioration in Apple's focus on Mac users.
I don’t think Apple’s lost focus on Mac users. Now, more than ever the Mac line up (excluding the Mac Pro) is the best it’s ever been.

Regarding wallpapers, Sequoia has some nice ones. The new Macintosh ones make a great tribute to the 40 years of Mac and I love these.

As for the default ones, I don’t like the dark mode Sequoia background. I like the light mode background this time, something about the orange/blue hits me right.

I remember the 2015-2019 era of MacBooks those were not good at all. Apple’s also making powerful silicon for Macs. M3 Pro and Max are are the best in their class compared to their competitors.

If there is one product line Apple lost focus on it’s the iPad, imo.

Reactions: Larsvonhier

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Anyway, the fact that there hasn’t yet been any announcement for Sequoia support from the OCLP developers, seems to confirm that Sequoia is indeed a rather minor upgrade, and hopefully without disruptive changes: let’s hope that root patching will be available soon (without, there’s no reason to experiment with the new macOS)…
Looks quite like it. In fact, it seems to be so small, I couldn’t even be bothered going through all the hassle of walking the beta road till autumn.

I’m going on a limb here, It could be very likely, OCLP development will remain until Apple officially drops the Intel support in MacOS. Whether it’s worth upgrading is written on a different sheet of paper.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.