Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

furidashev

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2024
macOS Sequoia 15.0 Beta 1 on MacBook Pro 13" 2015 A1502 with OCLP 1.5.0 (without patches)
Trying to patch my Mac using OCLP 1.6.0n (Sequoia development), but unsuccessfully...

1000003959.jpg

Last edited:

Sven G

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2012
Milan, EU
Here, it can be seen that the System Settings items in the left pane have indeed been partially reorganised, as previously rumoured:

IMG_0311.jpeg

Source:

BTW, as said before, the dynamic wallpapers require graphics acceleration, so we’ll have to wait for Sequoia root patching in order to try them.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I took the time yesterday to watch a couple recap videos from WWDC, and it looks like macOS 15 has some really nice concepts and features coming. (I say concepts) because things may not work as good or even bee as good after it gets into the wild and people have more access to them and depend on them daily. With that said, I'll be interested to see how well things turn out, and if OCLP will be a dependable option here. Some of those features demo'd (if they deliver) would actually encourage me to get a new Mac, so I could be sure to have all the features I wanted to be available to me.

So, now it's time to wait and see how things turn out.

parken

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2023
I don't mean to be pessimistic and I'm very happy that the new OS will still support Intel machines but I'm afraid that in terms of new and novel features there will be very little for us...

Reactions: olad

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I don't mean to be pessimistic and I'm very happy that the new OS will still support Intel machines but I'm afraid that in terms of new and novel features there will be very little for us...
That's one of the things I'm looking to see, is how much will work with the patcher vs just investing in a new Mac, if any of the new features are something I need for day to day use. I'm sure other people will have the same question as time goes on as well.

Sven G

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2012
Milan, EU
BTW, probably one of the most interesting Sequoia features (and should of course be available also for Intel Macs):

A more powerful Finder and window management is always a welcome feature (even if utilities such as Magnet still are useful, for example for centering windows on the screen): I just wish that also the Dock would get the same love (IIRC, it hasn’t gotten any new features since Mojave’s recent items addition)…

(Sadly, there seem to be few new interesting features, besides window tiling and snapping: for example, the new Passwords app, and also a Tips app (similar to the iOS one); so, Sequoia is a relatively minor upgrade for Intel Macs: but of course always worth having for the updates, etc.)

Last edited:

OKonnel

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
Italy
^^^ Yes, I did that, too: installed Sequoia on an external Thunderbolt 2 SSD, which went well, without problems. Sadly, it isn’t yet possible to apply root patches (OCLP says that it is an unsupported OS), so we’ll have to wait until Sequoia root patching is made possible by the OCLP developers. This should probably not be too problematic, as there don’t seem to be any major showstoppers in Sequoia (at least, until now)…
Here can download a Sequoia background in 'Dynamic' mode (i.e. including both light and dark versions in the same HEIC file), although in this case it's not the original and complete Apple's HEIC file that it's in a square format). -> https://basicappleguy.com/haberdashery/sequoiawallpaper
If your copy of Sequoia has the original HEIC file (usually contained in System/Library/Desktop Pictures/) could you kindly send it to us? We would be infinitely grateful... :D

EDIT (O.T.)
Admittedly, Sequoia's wallpaper, whether in light or dark mode, is bad because it causes great visual stress, especially in the presence of icons on the desktop, and demonstrates a deterioration in Apple's focus on Mac users.
In fact, we all know that the first Mac OS X wallpapers were designed by Steve Jobs and Johnny Ive with great care to be restful to the eyes. So much so that the same backgrounds also existed in greyscale to fatigue the eyes less and disturb the attention of graphic designers even less.
The backgrounds of Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey in dark mode are still quite effective, but from Ventuta onwards it gets worse. Obviously this is my opinion, off-topic....

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
BTW, probably one of the most interesting Sequoia features (and should of course be available also for Intel Macs):

A more powerful Finder and window management is always a welcome feature (even if utilities such as Magnet still are useful, for example for centering windows on the screen): I just wish that also the Dock would get the same love (IIRC, it hasn’t gotten any new features since Mojave’s recent items addition)…

(Sadly, there seem to be few new interesting features, besides window tiling and snapping: for example, the new Passwords app, and also a Tips app (similar to the iOS one); so, Sequoia is a relatively minor upgrade for Intel Macs: but of course always worth having for the updates, etc.)
Sad emoji, as in:I don't need Windows features.
If people want window tiling they should get a PC.

Sevenfeet

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2008
My guess is something about Amber Lake posed an issue - likely performance. The 2019 was just the 2018 with True Tone - Apple's model designators even list them as MacBookAir 8,1 and 8,2, while the 2020 was 9,1 reflecting an actual new generation.

Quite possible. Sometimes there are specific hard and fast cutoffs for certain chipsets. Other times to paraphrase the line from "Pirates of the Caribbean", "It's a guideline more than a rule". :)

Still, the more I think about it, I think the smart thing for Apple to do for customers and developers is to actually say at a WWDC a year in advance when Intel will be deprecated. This will give everyone a runway, especially for small developers of bespoke apps and plugins that still aren't native to get on board with Apple Silicon. We haven't heard that message yet from Apple this year.

Oxygen-X1

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2024
Does anyone have an idea how to solve the graphics problem (graphics acceleration)
on an iMac late 2013 (27 inch) without OCLP?

Don't know when a new OCLP for Sequoia will be released.

Otherwise everything works on the iMac late 2013 with the beta1 of Sequoia

@OKonnel... you have the same iMac late 2013 as me.
Does the graphics acceleration work with the nVidia graphics card?
And if so, what did you do to make it work?

Last edited:
Reactions: jotzet

5T33Z0

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2022
Imac27/13.2 14.5/1.6.0n.

Even though the Sequoia update did not work it was fairly easy to get back to normal. I did learn that the Sequoia Dev Beta does show up and ask if I want to upgrade(I won"t try again for awhile), if you click on the (learn more) option it goes to a page in the browser about "Apple Intelligence" and all the new updates are there, and the full Sequoia beta 14.7BG can be downloaded. When I tried to open it I got the message that I did not have an app for this.

Don't use the upgrade function on legacy macs to install Sequoia! If you feel the urge to play around with it (which I strongly advise against becasue OCLP is not ready to patch it yet), download the full macOS Installer (Install Assistant.pkg) instead and install it on a new volume. This way you won't mess up you working install!

Bonus Info: since most kexts used in the hackintosh scene contain a "max OS version" entry for compatibility, kexts won't load if the macOS version is higher. Therefore, you need to add -lilubetaall to the boot-args in order to load such kexts.

OKonnel

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
Italy
Does anyone have an idea how to solve the graphics problem (graphics acceleration)
on an iMac late 2013 (27 inch) without OCLP?

Don't know when a new OCLP for Sequoia will be released.

Otherwise everything works on the iMac late 2013 with the beta1 of Sequoia

@OKonnel... you have the same iMac late 2013 as me.
Does the graphics acceleration work with the nVidia graphics card?
And if so, what did you do to make it work?
Hi @Oxygen-X1, but apparently we all have to wait for the OCLP team to develop a suitable patch for Sequoia.
It is already a miracle to think that we are almost certain that our Macs will work well with Sequoia...
Besides, Sonoma is a real lightning bolt with our iMac, and Sequoia has no particular attractions to make us anticipate its installation...

Reactions: olad and Oxygen-X1

wylhkg

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2013
Any idea, is it last year for Intel Mac, next year will drop support for all Intel Mac, it is because Apple intelligent won’t support on this year

sinbad21

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
France
Any idea, is it last year for Intel Mac, next year will drop support for all Intel Mac, it is because Apple intelligent won’t support on this year
I think that Intel Macs will still be supported next year, because the latest Intel model was sold in 2020. Apple cannot decently not provide updates for machines that are only 5 years old. But next year could be the last year, and in 2025 Apple will probably announce that the macOS of 2025 will be the last compatible with Intel Macs.

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
optimistic statements are always welcome (what does your coin say?)
2023 was the last year Intel Macs were being sold officially. 5 years til being vintage.

2028 cut off is definite. 2026 is likely depending on sales figures and product line I reckon.

If they are bold and don’t care MacOS17 will be silicon only. I guess MacOS16 would be one too soon. But then Sequoia still supports iMacPro. 🔮🤓

PS: iOS18, MacOS15, iPhone16, it’s about time to clean up those Numbers anyway.

Reactions: olad and TimmuJapan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.