Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021
Sequoia Developer Beta is available from Sonoma from OTA update Says 14.76GB. I am downloading it now.

Imac 27, 13.2. Sonoma, 1.5.0 OCLP.

I understand this is a probable poor choice, fortunately I do not use my Imac for work, and I have Catalina on another disc. Also I know there will be some nice guys to help me cleanup the mess.

Last edited:

atonaldenim

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2018
Was there an intel mac pro in 2020 or is that when they finally switched the mac pro to Apple silicon? If there was one that may be the last intel we see that might be supported for a few more years.
The 2019 Mac Pro 7,1 was the last Intel Mac that Apple sold, from December 2019 until June 2023 when they finally announced the 2023 Mac Pro with M2 Ultra (Mac14,8).

Yeah, anyone who bought that highest-end machine would definitely hope for it to continue to get future MacOS support for several more years. But it’s inevitable they’ll drop Intel Mac support eventually, and probably sooner than Mac Pro 7,1 owners would like. 😢

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
3.png

The developer page indicates, the current version available can only be used with Apple silicon. I could not tell the difference what version is offered through software update in system settings. Anyone?

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Basically the support for MacBook Air was reduced to just 4 years? wtf…
Apple is under no obligation to support devices with new operating systems for any period of time. Sonoma also has a bit over two years of security updates still.

I have a 2018 MBA (among other machines, including an M1 14" upgraded to macOS 15) and happy to experiment on this machine.

Last edited:
Reactions: olad and LlamaLarry

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021
Post 29: It did not work, I will try something and then perhaps be more specific I am still on Sonoma White desktop, patcher froze, I reset pram, and will download 1.6 and see what happens

Reactions: garibaldo

Sevenfeet

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2008
I thought that Intel would be in the cards this year. Not sure if I can make that same prediction next year.

What's interesting are the dropping of the 2018 AND 2019 MacBook Airs. Typically Apple keeps non-Pro machines around in the yearly cycle for 5-6 years so both are going right at the 6 and 5 year window respectively. Some previous years have allowed older machines to linger a bit longer but not this year. My daughter's 2020 MacBook Air survives.

Curious that the 2018 iMacs survived but the 2018 and 2019 MacBook Airs did not. Probably because the 27" was sold into 2020 and the 21.5" lasted into 2021. Airs are replaced in the lineup more often.

Pro desktops typically have gotten 8 years of service with a few exceptions. So the iMac Pro with Xeon processors introduced in December 2017 is still alive but this time will probably be its last.

Same story for the Intel Mac Pro (2019).

The 2018 and 2019 Pro laptops are still around like their desktop cousins.

The last Intel Mac mini introduced in 2018 is still with us....unusual for year 7 except Apple kept selling it until about 18 months ago when the M2 chip arrived so I think that's why it stays.

ronton3

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2021
Post 29: It did not work, I will try something and then perhaps be more specific I am still on Sonoma White desktop, patcher froze, I reset pram, and will download 1.6 and see what happens
1.6 install then patching has things back to normal, there was a macos install efi on the start up page for a while which is now gone. I still have the notice that an update to Sequoia is avaliable, but I will wait awhile.

Dave.Inwood1988

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2019
I tried via OCLP on 2018 MacBook Pro get as far as login screen, screen goes black then comes back in just before it goes black it stops responding. No different via usb c dock or standalone, also no change in safe mode. Now resetting back to sierra to go back through the process. Will wait for updates to OCLP

VintageAppleGeek

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2018
here we go! also, stupid question, do you think it will at all be possible to get apple intelligence working on non apple silicon machines? I'm going to guess most likely not but heck, ill ask anyways, I plan to install the beta on my late 2015 iMac

thegdn

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2021
View attachment 2387377
Downloaded latest OCLP 1.6 can’t start root patching for my 2017MBP.

So it cannot use WiFi, camera and trackpad. On new beta 1 masOS 15

How can i patch my MBP? Anyone can help
I too am in the same boat.
connected to dock with external keyboard 2 and trackpad 2 work as normal.
still no wifi.

jshayya0184

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2022
Haven't personally tried this yet, so don't take my word for it, but I'm pretty sure that the Sequoia development branch should fix issues regarding the "Unsupported Host OS" message. I may be wrong however.

thegdn

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2021
Haven't personally tried this yet, so don't take my word for it, but I'm pretty sure that the Sequoia development branch should fix issues regarding the "Unsupported Host OS" message. I may be wrong however.
it is the one I've tried.

houser

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2006
Im not touching built in AI. This is just wrong.
Agreed. I also have no interest in "AI" at all (in scare quotes as it is not really AI anyway but mainly a plagiarism machine) but a few more years of iCloud and security updates would be nice for the Intel Macs if possible.

Reactions: amaze1499

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
Someone said, AI could be turned off like you can turn off Siri in the new OS’.

Who can confirm?

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014
I would be interested in your thoughts about the topic:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.