Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

echopulse

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2021
Abilene, TX
You are still getting your numbers flipped.

Quote from report

▪ In total, there were 562 survey terminations, resulting in over 82% of respondents having used a smartphone or smartwatch to make a contactless payment.

I cannot find anywhere in the survey that says how many people had not used contactless payments at all. The 562 people, or 18% who were eliminated most likely had included people who used cash, a regular swipe or chip card, or contactless card to make payments, but we don't know what percent belongs to each group. It's not specified.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Scratch Red Lobster off the list. Was just there and they said they pulled the plug on the Ziosk devices. No option for contactless payments tonight.

So they went back to taking away people’s cards…welcome back to 1999. Next time see if you can walk with the waiter to wherever they process the payments. Chances are that if they have a chip reader it might also have contactless enabled. That’s the only way to pay with mobile wallets at many restaurants in the US since they simply won’t support payment at the tables (at least that’s what several people in these forums have said they do in light of the lack of payment at the table).

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
So they went back to taking away people’s cards…welcome back to 1999. Next time see if you can walk with the waiter to wherever they process the payments. Chances are that if they have a chip reader it might also have contactless enabled. That’s the only way to pay with mobile wallets at many restaurants in the US since they simply won’t support payment at the tables (at least that’s what several people in these forums have said they do in light of the lack of payment at the table).

They definitely run the chip. Unfortunately, whether they take contactless or not might not matter soon: Dozens of Red Lobster locations close abruptly: List of latest closures

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

Even though she ran my card at the waitress station in the middle of the dining room, she refused to let me accompany her and my card. I was already annoyed, as the dining experience was less than I expected. Prices were higher, portions were smaller and the waitress seemed a bit bothered by our standard requests - cup of ice, refilling our drinks and more biscuits. Generally not a good experience.

Last edited:

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Even though she ran my card at the waitress station in the middle of the dining room, she refused to let me accompany her and my card. I was already annoyed, as the dining experience was less than I expected. Prices were higher, portions were smaller and the waitress seemed a bit bothered by our standard requests - cup of ice, refilling our drinks and more biscuits. Generally not a good experience.

Yeah if you pull out a card they won’t see the reason to let you come to the station. If you tell them you’re using your phone (or watch) they might not have much of a choice. In any case it looks like that restaurant might not be around for much longer.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Personally I go by Visa's numbers. For example, here's what they wrote in their Q4 2023 earnings call. (In short, contactless is ~40% of card transactions in the US.)
40% for Visa. Are Mastercard, Discover, and American Express still used? Of course they are. Around here, I even see JCB accepted.

As someone currently working in retail, I can say that I've seen quite a few people asking for Apple Pay, a few asking for Google Pay, and a number of people asking for the key to the restroom.

Many of the card readers in this area were replaced due to the threat of skimmers. Tap to Pay is working fairly well, especially for cards where the chip is not coated well and may not connect properly.

The elderly should have better luck with Tap to Pay, especially when their glasses aren't in use. Finding the card slot and inserting with the chip first doesn't work as well as one might hope.

garyjones027

macrumors member
May 4, 2023

90% of USA sit down restaurants of USA that accept contactless payments and Apple Pay do not have payment in the table. This means that you will be required to follow the waiter to the card reader to finish your payment if you choose to do Apple Pay and other mobile payments. I think that this system will exist in USA in sit down restaurants that accept contactless payments and Apple Pay for many years in the future.

It is that pay in the table will not be common in the USA to sit down restaurants that accept contactless payments and Apple Pay in the future.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
90% of USA sit down restaurants of USA that accept contactless payments and Apple Pay do not have payment in the table. This means that you will be required to follow the waiter to the card reader to finish your payment if you choose to do Apple Pay and other mobile payments. I think that this system will exist in USA in sit down restaurants that accept contactless payments and Apple Pay for many years in the future.

It is that pay in the table will not be common in the USA to sit down restaurants that accept contactless payments and Apple Pay in the future.

I know, because they prioritize POS integration over security. And that system might still work for contactless with physical cards since the staff could tap the card instead of inserting it (and they actually do it sometimes), but unfortunately it will continue to make the use mobile payments too difficult to be an option at restaurants on a regular basis for most people. In other words, this means basically not using apple pay or equivalent at restaurants in the US for most people for many years in the future.

echopulse

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2021
Abilene, TX
Yeah if you pull out a card they won’t see the reason to let you come to the station. If you tell them you’re using your phone (or watch) they might not have much of a choice. In any case it looks like that restaurant might not be around for much longer.
They are closing about 15% of their locations. They will still have over 500 locations left. I don't think they will go out of business anytime soon. They are very popular.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.