Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2018
If the problem is as prevalent as some here say, you're looking at 4 years of keyboard support. My wife started having problems on her 3.5 year old retina MacBook, took it in, back with a new keyboard in three days.

Hers wasn't erased, either. Not sure why they erased some people's Macs.
That means 3 days without a computer and many people do their work on these. Plus, is many countries it's 2 weeks, not 3 days.

Reactions: throAU and Yvan256

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
That means 3 days without a computer and many people do their work on these. Plus, is many countries it's 2 weeks, not 3 days.
That's the nature of customer service. You could have any number of problems and lose your computer for a period of time. Plan accordingly.

I was more referring to the fact that my wife's out of warranty machine was fixed for free and you'll have that opportunity.

Reactions: Macintoshrumors

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2018
That's the nature of customer service. You could have any number of problems and lose your computer for a period of time. Plan accordingly.

I was more referring to the fact that my wife's out of warranty machine was fixed for free and you'll have that opportunity.
That is not an excuse. Problems during warranty are rare with other brands and used to be almost no-case for Apple. They are just lame and cheeky to deliver a broken keyboard for several years in row.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
That is not an excuse. Problems during warranty are rare with other brands and used to be almost no-case for Apple. They are just lame and cheeky to deliver a broken keyboard for several years in row.
Then don't buy one. They tried to fix it. The space bar issue on the rMBA is a different thing. OP didn't even have to lose his computers for days.

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2018
Then don't buy one. They tried to fix it. The space bar issue on the rMBA is a different thing. OP didn't even have to lose his computers for days.
And you think that's acceptable for a trillion-worth company to "try" to fix... A FREAKIN' KEYBOARD? I have never seen any other notebook with broken keyboard, even these $300 ones. Apple is today either incredibly stupid, lazy or just manipulative and greedy. I personally believe in latter two, they do it on purpose. Huge part of their trillion bucks are these repairs and Cook has no stop when it comes to make more profits. He slowly kills our beloved Apple and will be remembered as a jerk.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
And you think that's acceptable for a trillion-worth company to "try" to fix... A FREAKIN' KEYBOARD? I have never seen any other notebook with broken keyboard, even these $300 ones. Apple is today either incredibly stupid, lazy or just manipulative and greedy. I personally believe in latter two, they do it on purpose. Huge part of their trillion bucks are these repairs and Cook has no stop when it comes to make more profits. He slowly kills our beloved Apple and will be remembered as a jerk.
No need to get so emotional. If you don't want a MacBook Air, don't buy it.

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
These reliability issues are eating into Apple profits and customer satisfaction. My guess is a new keyboard design for 2019, and hopefully a complete fix.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I wanted the retina screen since my 2013 air is getting long in the tooth but the butterfly keyboard mechanism is complete trash plus it feels horrible to boot. its not even like it feels good so its worth it. Just seeing your post is a reminder that it didn't get better in 2019. Guess I will be holding on to my 2013 air longer until they come up with a new keyboard design.

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2018
I wanted the retina screen since my 2013 air is getting long in the tooth but the butterfly keyboard mechanism is complete trash plus it feels horrible to boot. its not even like it feels good so its worth it. Just seeing your post is a reminder that it didn't get better in 2019. Guess I will be holding on to my 2013 air longer until they come up with a new keyboard design.
Or if you just need some fresh Air, get a 2017.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland

The 2018 MacBook Air is not part of the keyboard replacement program, so how is someone supposed to have the "opportunity" for a "free" out of warranty replacement for it?

Reactions: Never mind

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
Thanks for the update. I'm loving my MBA, but I agree with your assessment of the paid fix cost. Given their cash pile, Apple needs to think about this.

I'm also not buying MBPs at the moment commercially – personally, I'm probably going to get a Mac mini as an MBP replacement and use the MBA as the portable, ymmv.

Apple have a further problem: even with new component designs, folk are no longer going to trust them. It's going to be 'wait and see' until they are trusted again. That'll take years.

I am wondering how many „normal“ Apple customers that don’t read forums like MacRumors are aware of these problems and influenced in their buying decision.....

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The 2018 MacBook Air is not part of the keyboard replacement program, so how is someone supposed to have the "opportunity" for a "free" out of warranty replacement for it?
If the problem persists apple will add the MBA to the replacement program.

Keep in mind, however, OP’s issue is not the same as the issues which affected prior keyboards.

So much cooped up aggression on this sub forum.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
If the problem persists apple will add the MBA to the replacement program.

Keep in mind, however, OP’s issue is not the same as the issues which affected prior keyboards.

So much cooped up aggression on this sub forum.

No aggression, but frustration with your misinformation. Just pointing out that your claim is wrong, and that if people are basing their purchase decision of a $1,000+ laptop on your assurance that they will be fine out of warranty if their keyboard bites the dust then they will likely be screwed.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
No aggression, but frustration with your misinformation. Just pointing out that your claim is wrong, and that if people are basing their purchase decision of a $1,000+ laptop on your assurance that they will be fine out of warranty if their keyboard bites the dust then they will likely be screwed.
So, you obviously didn't read what I wrote. Let's take a look.

If the problem is as prevalent as some here say, you're looking at 4 years of keyboard support.
This is obviously what you're struggling with, which is pretty surprising because the insinuation is fairly obvious. Basically, the point is, if the problem is widespread enough you should worry about it, Apple will add it to the keyboard support program. This is not misinformation, it's simply speculation based on what Apple has done recently.

Last edited by a moderator:

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
This is obviously what you're struggling with, which is pretty surprising because the Apple will add it to the keyboard support program. This is not misinformation, it's simply speculation based on what Apple has done recently.

This is exactly my point. You were assuring people as if it’s fact that Apple will add the 2018 Air to its keyboard replacement program, however it’s just speculation on your part. They have yet to acknowledge an issue.

Last edited:

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
With that said, I checked Apple support and so far I have not seen anything relating to failing keyboards on the new 2019 MacBook Air...

Alot of what I'm seeing are liquid spill issues on keyboard. I'm sure given enough time I might start seeing keyboard not working issues but I'm not holding my breath on this....

Last edited by a moderator:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Interesting - I thought from the anecdotes I had heard the third gen might have marginally improved the sticking keys problem, but at the same time drastically worsened the double-typing problem, but seems there are quite a few sticking keys being reported again now o_O

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Part of the reason why I have not gotten the new laptops with the butterfly style keyboards... although they look better, apparently they do not perform nearly as well as the older gen scissor-type keyboards...

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
There is no way Apple is unaware of the problems with the 2018 Keyboard. They have a giant campus in Cupertino full of people walking around with new MacBooks that get heavily used. They have to know. The question is; what are they going to do about it?

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
There is no way Apple is unaware of the problems with the 2018 Keyboard. They have a giant campus in Cupertino full of people walking around with new MacBooks that get heavily used. They have to know. The question is; what are they going to do about it?
A 2018 device is, at most, 1 year old. I wouldn’t make the assumption Apple has seen any problems yet on a brand new keyboard on a brand new model

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
A 2018 device is, at most, 1 year old. I wouldn’t make the assumption Apple has seen any problems yet on a brand new keyboard on a brand new model

In addition, Apple likely isn’t pushing brand new hardware out to staff. I’d be willing to bet that staff are typically getting refurbished models. I’m sure they are aware of the issues of course, but I doubt they roll out new 2018s to all employees.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010

Sorry, not buying it. If the keyboard problem is pervasive, it would be a plague at Apple Headquarters, Apple Store Floor Models, and other regional offices. Their employees would be complaining about it all of the time. There is no way they could be blind to the issue. I could see maybe a couple of months after release of the 2018 MBPs in June.....but not after 8 months of use with the gen 3 keyboard.

Also, most of the senior management use the latest and greatest equipment......phones, iPads, and macs.

Koh Phi Phi

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2017

Dude, really?

Apple has an ENTIRE BUILDING for the Quality Control department. They perform alloy corrosion tests, metal torsion tests, screen burnout tests, dust and humidity sealing tests, and dozens of others. They have machines that press keyboard keys millions of times, with multiple levels of force, recording average life expectancy and durability.

Trust me: they KNOW.

Furthermore, this is gen-3 of this butterfly design, which was launched 2.5 years ago. They know it inside out by know, both its strengths and weaknesses, as well as the thousands upon thousands of user complaints and repair requests they've received from gen-1 and gen-2...

OF COURSE they know that their butterfly keyboard is fragile and prone to failures. Why do you think they released the Free Keyboard Repair program last year for gen-1 and gen-2? Why do you think they have added the silicon membrane on gen-3? Why do you think they have had to release 3 iterations of the same keyboard design within 2.5 years? They KNOW of its fragility!

Apple is doubling down on the butterfly design, even though it's prone to failure. If gen-3 starts failing as gen-2 and gen-1 did, and threads like this start popping up once again, they will ultimately have to give up on it and come up with a whole new design.

BTW, the same thing has happened with the Touch Bar. It never materialized its potential and Apple has already cut it out of the MBA, and it never included in their Bluetooth keyboard for the iMac. It was a bet that didnt pay off, and the butterfly keyboard seems to follow the same path.

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Sorry, not buying it. If the keyboard problem is pervasive, it would be a plague at Apple Headquarters, Apple Store Floor Models, and other regional offices. Their employees would be complaining about it all of the time. There is no way they could be blind to the issue. I could see maybe a couple of months after release of the 2018 MBPs in June.....but not after 8 months of use with the gen 3 keyboard.

Also, most of the senior management use the latest and greatest equipment......phones, iPads, and macs.
Under normal use, it takes a couple of years to set in. The is generation keyboard is still too new to unveil too many issues yet.

I work in R&D and quality. Honestly, soak tests are really hard.
[doublepost=1550439714][/doublepost]
Dude, really?

Apple has an ENTIRE BUILDING for the Quality Control department. They perform alloy corrosion tests, metal torsion tests, screen burnout tests, dust and humidity sealing tests, and dozens of others. They have machines that press keyboard keys millions of times, with multiple levels of force, recording average life expectancy and durability.

Trust me: they KNOW.

Furthermore, this is gen-3 of this butterfly design, which was launched 2.5 years ago. They know it inside out by know, both its strengths and weaknesses, as well as the thousands upon thousands of user complaints and repair requests they've received from gen-1 and gen-2...

OF COURSE they know that their butterfly keyboard is fragile and prone to failures. Why do you think they released the Free Keyboard Repair program last year for gen-1 and gen-2? Why do you think they have added the silicon membrane on gen-3? Why do you think they have had to release 3 iterations of the same keyboard design within 2.5 years? They KNOW of its fragility!

Apple is doubling down on the butterfly design, even though it's prone to failure. If gen-3 starts failing as gen-2 and gen-1 did, and threads like this start popping up once again, they will ultimately have to give up on it and come up with a whole new design.

BTW, the same thing has happened with the Touch Bar. It never materialized its potential and Apple has already cut it out of the MBA, and it never included in their Bluetooth keyboard for the iMac. It was a bet that didnt pay off, and the butterfly keyboard seems to follow the same path.
Apple provides a solution for you. It’s called DON’T BUY THE PRODUCT.

Reactions: burgman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.