Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
I asked myself the same question but didn't go further about it, my initial guess it would be that there are more sensible components "piled-up" on the right side that needs to be cooled with higher power, but I could be wrong and it's just for balance.

Regarding to blow your fans at max speeds, I would suggest not, it can help of course to act as that "mini air-blower" that I mentioned, but you would actually be sucking/moving more dust into the computer while doing this, don't get me wrong, in a almost-closed environment as the laptop is, the less the fans spin the better, cause it means no dust will actively go inside your computer and won't pile up among the blades or other components, that's one of the reasons the curves of these fans are set that way (also cause Apple likes to make computers quieter but not as colder as you'd like)

My 2 cents, forget about the dust, you can't fight it, be careful but not obsessive, trust me, it's a laptop and meant to be used on-the-way, if you see a real overheat problem, I'd check first fan malfunction than dust, but I'll leave Apple to do it if you feel unsure about it.

PS: Enjoy your computer! :)

edit: One useful thing you could do from time to time is brush your hole vents aiming to pull the dust out with soft-soft brushes while your computer is off, and being careful to do it slow to avoid any static charges
Gotcha thanks

Wondering if I can ask apple to remove the dust during the 2 years legal warranty (i don't have apple care...should I take it for the 3 years ?)

I don't NEED the fans that terribly at the moment ,so perhaps I'd be better off waiting for the MBA M2 ...with no fans and cooler chip (a15 based and more E cores ) but then hey,i cannot rly wait that long anyway ...

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
I asked myself the same question but didn't go further about it, my initial guess it would be that there are more sensible components "piled-up" on the right side that needs to be cooled with higher power, but I could be wrong and it's just for balance.

Regarding to blow your fans at max speeds, I would suggest not, it can help of course to act as that "mini air-blower" that I mentioned, but you would actually be sucking/moving more dust into the computer while doing this, don't get me wrong, in a almost-closed environment as the laptop is, the less the fans spin the better, cause it means no dust will actively go inside your computer and won't pile up among the blades or other components, that's one of the reasons the curves of these fans are set that way (also cause Apple likes to make computers quieter but not as colder as you'd like)

My 2 cents, forget about the dust, you can't fight it, be careful but not obsessive, trust me, it's a laptop and meant to be used on-the-way, if you see a real overheat problem, I'd check first fan malfunction than dust, but I'll leave Apple to do it if you feel unsure about it.

edit: One useful thing you could do from time to time is brush your hole vents aiming to pull the dust out with soft-soft brushes while your computer is off, and being careful to do it slow to avoid any static charges
ok buddy im creeping up.i just noticed my mbp is doing a lot of static noise and crrr crrr ,so i thought maybe i have ants,but as soon as i put the mac to sleep the noise stops

id like to shrare with you a sound recording but macos doesnt allow it ,basically its static + bzzz bzzz every 10 seconds ...

oh and btw the fans are completely off

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021

Here it is

Attachments

• Voice 002.mp3
    678.6 KB · Views: 1

SirKeldon

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
ok buddy im creeping up.i just noticed my mbp is doing a lot of static noise and crrr crrr ,so i thought maybe i have ants,but as soon as i put the mac to sleep the noise stops

id like to shrare with you a sound recording but macos doesnt allow it ,basically its static + bzzz bzzz every 10 seconds ...

oh and btw the fans are completely off
Dang, I read the message now and also heard the noise, regarding the static IDK what to tell you, about the other one, TBH, it doesn't sounded good, that buzzing reminds me or some wrong electrical connection (which I highly doubt cause at this point the sparks with that sound should have fried something) or also and most probable, the blades interfering with some loose cable and hence the sound, are you doing some kind of pressure on the keyboard that accentuates/speeds up that cycle or the rattling/buzzing sound?

I'll go to an Apple Store ASAP and make your laptop to be checked by a technician, for me, that sound, it's not normal and definitely not present in any condition at mine.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Dang, I read the message now and also heard the noise, regarding the static IDK what to tell you, about the other one, TBH, it doesn't sounded good, that buzzing reminds me or some wrong electrical connection (which I highly doubt cause at this point the sparks with that sound should have fried something) or also and most probable, the blades interfering with some loose cable and hence the sound, are you doing some kind of pressure on the keyboard that accentuates/speeds up that cycle or the rattling/buzzing sound?

I'll go to an Apple Store ASAP and make your laptop to be checked by a technician, for me, that sound, it's not normal and definitely not present in any condition at mine.
Very nice of you to answer.

I wasn't doing anything ,no pressure on kb or such.

ALSO the fans were completely off

Today i took an appointment to the apple store ,the guy confirmed he did hear too,but he said they don't have the tools for this device (bcz MBP 14 and 16 are too new ?) Sounds kinda ridiculous to me .so he offered an exchange/return,but said that since this is a customized unit i may not have it until 15 days or more ...

He then ran the diagnostic and nothing got detected .still,the simple fact he rebooted managed to fix it.

He advised me to reinstall the OS completely,saying it may be something related to the sound /speakers... but idk ,i ain't buying it ...

So rn I'm back home and using it ...dunno what to do.no sound so far.i mist point out that it didn't happen during the first 2-3 weeks,only happened once ,and then completely stopped after a reboot....meh..

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021

Think i could ...force them to open it and check ? I mean why would they have to send it somewhere really,that sounds ridiculous ,they can't just open it ?

SirKeldon

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
Think i could ...force them to open it and check ? I mean why would they have to send it somewhere really,that sounds ridiculous ,they can't just open it ?
It could be possible that they don't have the tools/guidelines for these new models and just certain people is trained, I wish I knew how they work internally, but seems reasonable (at least now, within 6 months it wouldn't)

Today i took an appointment to the apple store ,the guy confirmed he did hear too,but he said they don't hae the tools for this device (bcz MBP 14 and 16 are too new ?) Sounds kinda ridiculous to me .so he offered an exchange/return,but said that since this is a customized unit i may not have it until 15 days or more ...

He then ran the diagnostic and nothing got detected .still,the simple fact he rebooted managed to fix it.

He advised me to reinstall the OS completely,saying it may be something related to the sound /speakers... but idk ,i ain't buying it ...
Being honest, I would try the OS reinstall as he suggests, you're not losing anything by trying it but a lil bit of your time. If that doesn't work, I'd definitely go for an exchange, that sound is not normal ... and as it's a customized order, you can try for an exception that they have which is called "Advanced Replacement", that means, you can still keep your laptop while the new one is being manufactured/sent to your house. Talk to Apple regarding this and explore the options.

Best of lucks!

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
It could be possible that they don't have the tools/guidelines for these new models and just certain people is trained, I wish I knew how they work internally, but seems reasonable (at least now, within 6 months it wouldn't)

Being honest, I would try the OS reinstall as he suggests, you're not losing anything by trying it but a lil bit of your time. If that doesn't work, I'd definitely go for an exchange, that sound is not normal ... and as it's a customized order, you can try for an exception that they have which is called "Advanced Replacement", that means, you can still keep your laptop while the new one is being manufactured/sent to your house. Talk to Apple regarding this and explore the options.

Best of lucks!
Can understand they don't have tools for replacing fans and stuff,but not being able to open it ,at all? Hmm

Ye maybe il try that but as I said i now don't have it anymore after reboot...still,it's even more annoying,given i can't know whether it's SW or hw ,ans when will it happen,etc .

This is honestly REALLY weird tbh

I shall see,thanks

SirKeldon

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
Can understand they don't have tools for replacing fans and stuff,but not being able to open it ,at all? Hmm

Ye maybe il try that but as I said i now don't have it anymore after reboot...still,it's even more annoying,given i can't know whether it's SW or hw ,ans when will it happen,etc .

This is honestly REALLY weird tbh

I shall see,thanks
It's really strange that a reboot fixed that kind of sound, but again, I don't have the complete knowledge so Apple Genius could be right and maybe it was just a strange speaker glitch routing electric sound to it, it wouldn't be that weird, but to be honest, I'd have the same feeling you experience and I won't be 100% calm in case it's another issue.

My 2 cents are: try that reinstall and wait a few more days to see if the problem arises again, however, I think the "fear" is already inside you, so IMHO, if you're eligible I would exchange it cause I think you'll sleep better (sorry if I'm acting as a physicologist here, which I'm not) ... and also talk with Customer Service regarding the "Advanced Replacement" program to see if you could keep your laptop if you really decide to replace it.

One important thing to consider: if the problem is really gone and won't happen again in a week, I'll doubt to get a replacement given the other things that could go wrong (screen artifacts, mushy keys, scratches ...) in the new unit.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
It's really strange that a reboot fixed that kind of sound, but again, I don't have the complete knowledge so Apple Genius could be right and maybe it was just a strange speaker glitch routing electric sound to it, it wouldn't be that weird, but to be honest, I'd have the same feeling you experience and I won't be 100% calm in case it's another issue.

My 2 cents are: try that reinstall and wait a few more days to see if the problem arises again, however, I think the "fear" is already inside you, so IMHO, if you're eligible I would exchange it cause I think you'll sleep better (sorry if I'm acting as a physicologist here, which I'm not) ... and also talk with Customer Service regarding the "Advanced Replacement" program to see if you could keep your laptop if you really decide to replace it.

One important thing to consider: if the problem is really gone and won't happen again in a week, I'll doubt to get a replacement given the other things that could go wrong (screen artifacts, mushy keys, scratches ...) in the new unit.
'sup man

Just went to an apple authorized repair center

They didn't see anything .and also he told me the interiors were perfectly clean,no dust at all :))

He told me he just removed the back and checked ,running the fans,etc,there is nothing,no cable lose.he told me maybe to change the fans ,but like changing 2 fans...I'm just surprised it came and left like that tbh lol

Now I'm afraid he may have ****ed up my Mac since it's not apple itself but ,honestly? Just opening the back,idk how much wrong he may have done.perhaps had there been some particle that went into the fans at that moment ?no idea

ChpStcks

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2021
If you give me some hours, when MBP finishes charging and has again stabilized, I can show you temps on idle, playing a youtube video, and also while performing those benchmarks, cause yes, I was referring to those for "thermal tests", Geekbench can be a good avg measure to monitor mid/high-usage temps, Cinebench just for "extreme" cases. I'll give you also fan information if it kicks in or not.
my 14" MAX hits 75c consistently when it's plugged to an external monitor and just playing youtube
:(

Reactions: project_2501

SirKeldon

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
Now I'm afraid he may have ****ed up my Mac since it's not apple itself but ,honestly? Just opening the back,idk how much wrong he may have done.perhaps had there been some particle that went into the fans at that moment ?no idea
I don't think they did anything wrong with it, one quick way to check will be if your outside shell got scratched in any way during this inspection, if that's not the case, you're with high chances that you're dealing with a careful person and interiors will be treated even with more care, so don't panic, people that runs these kind of business tend to know what they're doing.

If he just checked fans and cables, he ran the computer without the bottom plate and he could see electronics in action and saw nothing wrong, I'll be reliefed, since he really could look if anything was really toasted or malfunctioning. And also, I doubt regarding the particle theory, cause if it was there shouldn't have been propelled out that easy w/o interfering with anything else, so the technician must have spot it if that was the case.

Did you make him to hear the recording of the sound before the inspection? Maybe he can offer you more insights than me.

Summary:

1. I think you really encountered a glitch but it's a strange one, I must admit.
2. A technician saw your computer guts and saw nothing wrong about it.
3. I'll continue to use the laptop for a few more days and check, if you encounter this problem again, definitely go to Apple and ask for solutions.
4. If you're not satisfied or you're afraid that this can escalate to other issues, exchange it, cause as I stated before, I think you'll sleep better.

my 14" MAX hits 75c consistently when it's plugged to an external monitor and just playing youtube
Didn't try to plug it in to any external monitor yet, but I could try on my 4K TV this afternoon and tell you something about it, but those temps are really high, I just spiked those ones on the hardest multi-core benchmarks, of course mine is M1 Pro 14" 10CPU/16GPU, so not exactly same conditions.

Anything in the background eating CPU? I experienced WindowServer issues (due to playing some videos w/Firefox to be more precise) where a core gets permanently stuck at 100% and leading to 50-55ºC constant w/o even doing anything, only solution was to reboot. Check your processes when you hook-up the monitor and/or watching youtube and see if anything abnormal is happening, if not, I'll contact Apple and explain them the issue.

edit: spelling

Last edited:

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Been using mine 10+16C M1 Pro plugged to two Huawei Mateview 4.2K and usually hovers between 40c-50c. Sometimes it does use the fan at around 2000-3000rpm but only when connected to both displays and doing some multi browser work while watching a 4K YouTube video

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Been using mine 10+16C M1 Pro plugged to two Huawei Mateview 4.2K and usually hovers between 40c-50c. Sometimes it does use the fan at around 2000-3000rpm but only when connected to both displays and doing some multi browser work while watching a 4K YouTube video
Are you using some fan utility? The fan shouldn't spin up if below 80° i think

SirKeldon

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
I performed a quick test connecting the MBP to my Samsung 4K TV as promised, and I can see no diff temps from the others shown the other day while doing the same tests playing Youtube videos. I played a Linus Tech Tips video for 15 mins, quality was set at 4K, display was being duplicated so equal footage on both screens at the same time at full screen, here are the temps right after I closed Safari.

Screenshot 2021-12-20 at 23.46.38.png

Checked also during the video, and temps were similar. Ambient is 20ºC. I think you should check Activity Monitor to see what processes are in use or boot in safe mode as @0089294 said and compare if temps are that high even there, those are concerning IMHO (unless your ambient is 45-50ºC of course which I doubt)

Quite in line with my results, what was your ambient?

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2017

I worry about this too.

• My 2015 MBP 15" connected to a 4K displayer over displayport, watching YouTube, causes the fans to go noisy and the laptop to blow hot air out.

• My 2015 MBP 13" did this too.

• My 2017 nTB 13" did this too.

I am hoping my next laptop, a 2021 M1 MBP 14" Max with 24-gpu cores doesn't do this.

My Chromebook doesn't do this. My £450 Thinkpad from about 5 years ago doesn't do this. My fan-less smartphone Pixel 4a can play HD YouTube without getting hot.

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
16” M1 Pro, constantly between 48 and 55 degrees for the past 2 months, with just browsing on Safari and some apps opened in background (Messenger, Telegram, Skype, Mail).

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
s
I performed a quick test connecting the MBP to my Samsung 4K TV as promised, and I can see no diff temps from the others shown the other day while doing the same tests playing Youtube videos. I played a Linus Tech Tips video for 15 mins, quality was set at 4K, display was being duplicated so equal footage on both screens at the same time at full screen, here are the temps right after I closed Safari.

View attachment 1931505

Checked also during the video, and temps were similar. Ambient is 20ºC. I think you should check Activity Monitor to see what processes are in use or boot in safe mode as @0089294 said and compare if temps are that high even there, those are concerning IMHO (unless your ambient is 45-50ºC of course which I doubt)

sorry im quoting the wrong answer lol

but i have discovered what is doing the weird static noise at least,so it may well be that the rest was also the speakers' fault...

if you could try it yourself,play any youtube video with the sound off system wise (using mute button) ,and place your ear near the side vent ,you will hear it

or even play anything sound on,then pause it,you will hear the noise if you quickly pause the video/music and put your ear next to the vent/side of the device....or is it just me ?

SirKeldon

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
but i have discovered what is doing the weird static noise at least,so it may well be that the rest was also the speakers' fault...

if you could try it yourself,play any youtube video with the sound off system wise (using mute button) ,and place your ear near the side vent ,you will hear it

or even play anything sound on,then pause it,you will hear the noise if you quickly pause the video/music and put your ear next to the vent/side of the device....or is it just me ?
Just tried and zero static or hiss noise, it's 1am and dead quiet here, also I placed my ear like 1cm away from the vent side, nothing, and I can tell you that I'm particularly sensitive with sounds (I could hear the "electronic" hiss sound of my vaper while is 30cm away and screen is on ... or the hum from the fridge with kitchen door closed, and I couldn't hear any static coming from the Macbook while on mute)

If you're facing these issues it can be caused by a lot of reasons, software and/or hardware; in guitar amps and other external speakers, even on in-audio desktop computers, this can be caused by bad cable shielding or most likely, a bad electric-ground connection which tends to cause buzzes/hisses or white noise, even surrounding electromagnetic fields could interfere, but as mentioned, there are A LOT of reasons and it would be really hard trying to guess.

I'd go to Apple again and explain the issue, from there, I'd exchange the unit unless they find the cause and are able to fix it. This is giving you a hard headache :)

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017

View attachment 1931505

between 22-24c depending on the day.

I have 0 complaints coming from a i9 16" lol. I do miss the paper weight of the M1 Air though

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Are you using some fan utility? The fan shouldn't spin up if below 80° i think
Yeah using TG Pro and it does kick up before due to the temps the GPU hit I believe, I mean I'm connected to two 4.2K Mateviews and sometimes I have to open the lid to use the camera on MS Teams (ugh)

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017

View attachment 1931505

Here's some print screens connected to dual displays Huawei Mateview 4.2k@60hz

Room temperature 24c

1640098585853.png
1640098609559.png

1640098627435.png

Reactions: SirKeldon

SirKeldon

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
Here's some print screens connected to dual displays Huawei Mateview 4.2k@60hz

Room temperature 24c

View attachment 1931835 View attachment 1931836
View attachment 1931837
Interesting results, mine was definitely not with the same workload as yours, and a 4ºC ambient difference is a huge impact as well, so I think yours is holding great on temperatures given the fact you're on 2 external monitors (I can see WindowServer cookie monster lol) ... a lot of programs open, a substantial CPU usage and also maybe, the RAM/SSD activity seems to be intense.

Good beast and good thermals IMHO!

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Interesting results, mine was definitely not with the same workload as yours, and a 4ºC ambient difference is a huge impact as well, so I think yours is holding great on temperatures given the fact you're on 2 external monitors (I can see WindowServer cookie monster lol) ... a lot of programs open, a substantial CPU usage and also maybe, the RAM/SSD activity seems to be intense.

Good beast and good thermals IMHO!
Yeah the problem is that most of my apps aren't still Apple Silicon optimised...

- FB Messenger
- What's App
- Microsoft Teams

These 3 are the main culripts of eating my RAM, just look at this...

1640099336521.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.