Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirKeldon

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
about your story,it would seem that using something else than apple cloth is perfectly fine right? 20dollars for a ****ing cloth,apple rly are bastards

ah this,ye i know about it
Yup it is perfecly fine to follow normal Macbook/Macbook Pro Apple retina cleaning guide, so any soft non-abbrasive microfibre cloth being damp should do the trick to don't mess with the coating, the XDR/nanotexture confusion was all on me due to the naming ... exarcebated from the "Genius" events and the smudge not going away but getting bigger when he used the normal microfibre cloth. Despite that, can't guess why my computer came with that kind of residue, who knows.

Conclusion: I'll use my "Apple Polishing Cloth" as my main one when it arrives, which btw, has been "Processing" for 3 weeks already ... but I learned the Amazon Basics also it's fine with tiny amounts of pressure, didn't scratch the screen neither removed any coating; pricing of one of those btw is 0.50EUR (a pack of 24 goes for barely 12EUR) ... so yes, even Apple is giving the more premium microfibre material ... 20$ for a cloth is a joke, but I purchased it as a joke right? Karma is on me ?

ChpStcks

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2021
I don't recall anything else you could try, you're returning the yellow-tint one and keeping the first one right?

Firefox has a declared (and open) issue regarding this: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1738926 and ppl is still having the problem on 12.1 as I experienced the other day and possibly yours too, happened to me with 12.0 and 12.0.1 as well. It is most likely created due to some issues w/ProMotion and high refresh display.

On Chrome there are also cases of some users complaining: https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOSBeta/comments/radbeg (can't find more links but I remember reading them)

And if you surf around, you can find a lot of people complaining of high WindowServer usage when using external monitors as well, on Big Sur and also on Monterey, so I think in your case both factors can be active at the same time, hence the high temps even on Safari. I see your memory percentages, but not CPU, my guess is if WindowServer is eating that much memory, CPU usage should be high as well.

Hope they mature Monterey enough on 12.2/12.3 and we're not facing so many issues on "normal use"

One last test I ask you, shutdown/reboot your machine, cause once WindowServer starts to eat CPU/RAM only way to stop is by reboot or killing WindowServer process which restarts the Finder too, then let it cool so temps start flat as shown, and in that moment, w/o connecting it to the external monitor, make the test playing same video with Safari, check Activity Monitor, do it on Firefox, and see if it creates again same issue, cause for me it wasn't 100% consistent to make the bug to appear.

Best of lucks!
Hm good to know there is a FF open issue, in the interim I stopped using it entirely for youtube and started using Safari. As for CPU and memory, I rarely ever go over 20% and most is probably 30%. Memory is a little higher 50%+ but never maxed out.

I did run into a new issue twice today, if I left youtube video full screen, on pause, then let the mac screen timer go idle and ultimately go black / turn off, I would come back to a hot computer (80C) which doesn't make sense, because with the same exact apps open and full screen YT playing it would be around 40-50C. I played a card game (in person) with my nephew for the last 30 mins and this happened while the computer was just sitting idle (screen off)..

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 20.58.57.png

Memolomazo

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2021
that is pretty damn hot
now is 47 lol, well my Mac is not the base model, is the 10c 16gpu 32gb ram 1tb ssd. Also I don't feel it hot despite the I-Stats says its 50 or 55 when im working or playing something.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
now is 47 lol, well my Mac is not the base model, is the 10c 16gpu 32gb ram 1tb ssd. Also I don't feel it hot despite the I-Stats says its 50 or 55 when im working or playing something.
actually it depends on your room temps too

and if you tell me it's now 47 I'm not sure it was idle then(and not sure it's even idle now lol)

ye I agree it's not hot rly but having use a MBA M1 I got accustomed to the literally cold body (26° SOC !!)

Memolomazo

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2021
actually it depends on your room temps too

and if you tell me it's now 47 I'm not sure it was idle then(and not sure it's even idle now lol)

ye I agree it's not hot rly but having use a MBA M1 I got accustomed to the literally cold body (26° SOC !!)
yeah, I bought the MacBook m1 13" some months ago and it was really, really cold. I returned that laptop because I needed more ports and more ram for my work. The new MacBook Is more powerful and stuff but gets way hotter.
Its still better than any other windows laptop but I wish it could run at 30c idle

SirKeldon

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
I do have the same configuration in 14" and never idled so high, light usage browsing with Safari & Firefox right now, chatting with Telegram while Steam is also open and here are my temps, ambient is 19.5ºC

Screenshot 2022-01-12 at 22.26.30.png

What's your ambient? Around 25ºC or even higher? In that case, mid 40's could be possible and not worrying IMHO

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
yeah, I bought the MacBook m1 13" some months ago and it was really, really cold. I returned that laptop because I needed more ports and more ram for my work. The new MacBook Is more powerful and stuff but gets way hotter.
Its still better than any other windows laptop but I wish it could run at 30c idle
what ports do u use ? I wished apple still gave us 4 usb-c ports tbh....

SD card reader isn't that fast and my SD cards are slow anyway ,pretty meh

HDMI port doesn't support DDC so I can't control brightness from my Mac and have to use the monitor thingy(don't know how it's called,at the bottom of monitor there is a switch to change brightness contrast etc,pretty annoying and unergonomic) so I end up using USB-c port with HDMI adapter anyway....hence only have 2 free USB-c ports ,which isn't much as I had an external SSD always plugged in ...

hell yes,M1 is cold af ! the M1 really is the the true represent of apple silicon imo

Memolomazo

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2021
I do have the same configuration in 14" and never idled so high, light usage browsing with Safari & Firefox right now, chatting with Telegram while Steam is also open and here are my temps, ambient is 19.5ºC

View attachment 1943116

What's your ambient? Around 25ºC or even higher? In that case, mid 40's could be possible and not worrying IMHO

that's really low, I only can get those temps when I open the MacBook after some hours of no usage.
Ive been playing with the ps2 emulator for one hour before and the ambient of the room I guess is 25 or more. Also I have the laptop on my bed.
Now my ave temp is 46.

Also my laptop has a thick plastic case and a the keyboard has a case too, so maybe it helps to get more temps idk.
Im a little worried but I didn't have any problem yet. My iPhone 12 Pro when I use it a lot can get really hot too and works perfectly.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
that's really low, I only can get those temps when I open the MacBook after some hours of no usage.
Ive been playing with the ps2 emulator for one hour before and the ambient of the room I guess is 25 or more. Also I have the laptop on my bed.
Now my ave temp is 46.

Also my laptop has a thick plastic case and a the keyboard has a case too, so maybe it helps to get more temps idk.
Im a little worried but I didn't have any problem yet. My iPhone 12 Pro when I use it a lot can get really hot too and works perfectly.
poor him,he has a defective unit ,way too cold

oh lol,25 is HOT

can u show the laptop case ? it surely prevents heat from dissipating,just like a case on a phone will lead to hotter temps and quicker throttle

Memolomazo

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2021
poor him,he has a defective unit ,way too cold

oh lol,25 is HOT

can u show the laptop case ? it surely prevents heat from dissipating,just like a case on a phone will lead to hotter temps and quicker throttle

The case is this one:

1642024110229.png

Lets dissipate the warm but sure is one thick plastic under the aluminium so maybe its not the best for better temps.

My temps are stuck on 45-46 on idle so maybe that's all. I remember using one mbp14 in a Mac store and that **** was hot af, maybe the long you are using it during the day, the warmer they become

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
The case is this one:

View attachment 1943136

Lets dissipate the warm but sure is one thick plastic under the aluminium so maybe its not the best for better temps.

My temps are stuck on 45-46 on idle so maybe that's all. I remember using one mbp14 in a Mac store and that **** was hot af, maybe the long you are using it during the day, the warmer they become
45° for 25° room sounds fine ig

SirKeldon

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
I tested some of them to check temps too, all were hotter than mine, specially within the most populated Apple Store in Barcelona, with the new MBP's located at the top floor were by difference the hottest ones (heat rises) ... so ambient temp is the most determinant part of any cooling solution, since the curve that elements take with higher ambient tends to be exponential rather than lineal.

Second part, definitely, if you're using it for hours, total package is gonna become hotter and is not going to go down, specially with the default fan curves, when I showed you the first pic, Mac was lit-on just for 40 minutes, now 1h 30 min has passed in total, doing the same activity, temps have rised 2ºC and ambient just 0.5ºC more, here's the last screenshot:

Screenshot 2022-01-12 at 23.00.43.png

And no, you're totally right, your electronic devices can get hot and will remain to work, but here's why, in some circumstances if the temperatures are really high, normal behaviour for the CPU/GPU is to throttle to avoid to burn those components and others responsible for its correct operation such as voltage regulators for example, worst case scenario to avoid bigger damages, it can shut down by itself (my iPhone once did on a hot summer beach day) to prevent a disaster. Not to mention, that if the components are always running hot and/or in the limit, you're shortening its lifespan and surrounding elements such as the battery.

I'm saying this cause you game on your MBP as you specified, so you want to get all the juice out of it for the longest period possible, my advice, keep it fresh and adjust your fan curves to avoid any issues, even if you want to let your hard case on, which I find totally understandable.

edit: I don't know the exact data, but from what I've seen and read, 95-100ºC can be a perfect threshold on which these MBPs can start to throttle down the speed; and btw, despite all of my "running cool" MBP, the other day when I played Dirt 4 (it's supported via Rosetta) 1080p @ default high settings, whole package was on mid 70's, sometimes peaking nearly 80ºC, and neither was stretching the CPU more than 50-60%, automatic fan curve made the mac to last 10 min fanless in the 75ºC range and just then, made them spin at 2500 rpm (Apple prefers quiet computers rather than extreme cool ones) so I think these machines can sustain perfectly 80-85ºC for some hours without any compromise, and if you tune the fan curve, they will run fresher.

Last edited:
Reactions: Memolomazo

ChpStcks

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2021

View attachment 1943116

I don't think I've ever seen these numbers... unless it's right on start up and it's been outside in the cold all day. Once I open anything, like safari it instantly jumps up to 45C. granted I do have a m1 max 14" though

Reactions: kvlq

ChpStcks

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2021
Now my ave temp is 46.

what are you using for ps2 emulator?

Memolomazo

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2021
I tested some of them to check temps too, all were hotter than mine, specially within the most populated Apple Store in Barcelona, with the new MBP's located at the top floor were by difference the hottest ones (heat rises) ... so ambient temp is the most determinant part of any cooling solution, since the curve that elements take with higher ambient tends to be exponential rather than lineal.

Second part, definitely, if you're using it for hours, total package is gonna become hotter and is not going to go down, specially with the default fan curves, when I showed you the first pic, Mac was lit-on just for 40 minutes, now 1h 30 min has passed in total, doing the same activity, temps have rised 2ºC and ambient just 0.5ºC more, here's the last screenshot:

View attachment 1943144

And no, you're totally right, your electronic devices can get hot and will remain to work, but here's why, in some circumstances if the temperatures are really high, normal behaviour for the CPU/GPU is to throttle to avoid to burn those components and others responsible for its correct operation such as voltage regulators for example, worst case scenario to avoid bigger damages, it can shut down by itself (my iPhone once did on a hot summer beach day) to prevent a disaster. Not to mention, that if the components are always running hot and/or in the limit, you're shortening its lifespan and surrounding elements such as the battery.

I'm saying this cause you game on your MBP as you specified, so you want to get all the juice out of it for the longest period possible, my advice, keep it fresh and adjust your fan curves to avoid any issues, even if you want to let your hard case on, which I find totally understandable.

edit: I don't know the exact data, but from what I've seen and read, 95-100ºC can be a perfect threshold on which these MBPs can start to throttle down the speed; and btw, despite all of my "running cool" MBP, the other day when I played Dirt 4 (it's supported via Rosetta) 1080p @ default high settings, whole package was on mid 70's, sometimes peaking nearly 80ºC, and neither was stretching the CPU more than 50-60%, automatic fan curve made the mac to last 10 min fanless in the 75ºC range and just then, made them spin at 2500 rpm (Apple prefers quiet computers rather than extreme cool ones) so I think these machines can sustain perfectly 80-85ºC for some hours without any compromise, and if you tune the fan curve, they will run fresher.
Apple is completely the opposite of MSI. If your expensive and heavy Msi laptop gets hotter than 45c the fans go to 2000rpm at least lol.
Idk why the default fan curve of these new MacBooks are not better… I hope in a new update they fix this

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Apple is completely the opposite of MSI. If your expensive and heavy Msi laptop gets hotter than 45c the fans go to 2000rpm at least lol.
Idk why the default fan curve of these new MacBooks are not better… I hope in a new update they fix this
they won't "fix" it lol,it's apple philosophy.

SirKeldon

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2021
Barcelona, Spain
I don't think I've ever seen these numbers... unless it's right on start up and it's been outside in the cold all day. Once I open anything, like safari it instantly jumps up to 45C. granted I do have a m1 max 14" though
Computer was unused/sleeping for 2 days resting inside a soft bulky sleeve, so it had kind of a coat, and the ambient was always around 19-20ºC (house temp it's controlled via thermostat) count maybe 18.5ºC cause it was near to a window ... though that, at the moment of the shot, it had been on for 40 mins with very light usage and away from the window (forum and reddit browsing through FF, a video in youtube that was played in some moments through Safari, as well as Telegram chatting and also Steam open in the background but doing nothing)

After 1h30min with similar usage, temps just increased 2ºC as you saw. Lucky me to be honest, cause I'm kinda obsessed with temps (quit playing Dirt 4 the other day cause I didn't want to stress it too much yet, so imagine XD)

And definitely, yes, you have the beast in the 14", I was tempted to get the Max 24GPU but temps were definitely one of the reasons which I avoided it, though that mid 40's is not as dramatic as I thought, what is your avg ambient temp if I may ask? Also if you have any complementary data for temps when gaming/benchmarking or any other usages, I'd love to see it, I still do have time till 20th Jan in case I decide to change my mind hahaha (the other reason to not get the Max was the battery, also still checking numbers)

It can be for several reasons, from customer philosophy to company one and a long etc, but I think there are two main ones:

1. The laptop is meant to be used within professional work environments, so first you don't want to bother the people around you with unnecessary noises, and in others such as music/movies/series/theatres/studios ... maybe you really can't make any loud noise and don't need the fan unless it's necessary, and if it kicks in, it still needs to be quiet to avoid get registered by any mic you have around, even the ambient one that the Mac is equipped with if you use it.

2. Pre-M1 Intel MBP from 2017-2019 as far as I read were like wind turbines and they kicked in fans really fast to avoid any throttling, add the fact that those processors are like little ovens, so both things combined made the computers hot and loud. Maybe these curves are really tuned down even beyond the "acceptable minimum" to compensate the placebo effect to the customer after past generations. Despite that, I don't think Apple engineers put down curves that will damage neither shorten the lifespan of the CPU just for this, it'll be maintained in a "safe" area even the fans run at low rpm.

Of course, this is just a personal opinion, I could be wrong, but both seem plausible, and as mentioned, in the past years Apple always liked to make quiet computers while still offering good performance, and it's not exclusive to their laptops, most of the time, they tend to deliver.

DenisK

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2008
Idk if that's truly normal,bit with my room at 21-22°celcius ,my MBP 14 base 8/14 is 45-50°,and when running some light stuff ,it gets to 55-60 I'd say .

Meanwhile my MBA M1 is 26-34° at idle -crazy cool isn't it - ,and around 40° with the same tasks

Is that normal ?
The sheer magnitude of data being processed per millisecond will inevitably generate heat, which is where the remaining inefficiencies lie. Why worry about anything until 90C at all, especially given the system has auto shutoff features, that will power it down when it gets too hot?

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
The sheer magnitude of data being processed per millisecond will inevitably generate heat, which is where the remaining inefficiencies lie. Why worry about anything until 90C at all, especially given the system has auto shutoff features, that will power it down when it gets too hot?
oh I'm not (wasn't ) worrying ,just wanted to compare with others .

I agree that those temps are almost laughable in the computing world ,yet I do still enjoy having a machine that runs cool,before it's comfortable

ChpStcks

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2021
Computer was unused/sleeping for 2 days resting inside a soft bulky sleeve, so it had kind of a coat, and the ambient was always around 19-20ºC (house temp it's controlled via thermostat) count maybe 18.5ºC cause it was near to a window ... though that, at the moment of the shot, it had been on for 40 mins with very light usage and away from the window (forum and reddit browsing through FF, a video in youtube that was played in some moments through Safari, as well as Telegram chatting and also Steam open in the background but doing nothing)

After 1h30min with similar usage, temps just increased 2ºC as you saw. Lucky me to be honest, cause I'm kinda obsessed with temps (quit playing Dirt 4 the other day cause I didn't want to stress it too much yet, so imagine XD)

And definitely, yes, you have the beast in the 14", I was tempted to get the Max 24GPU but temps were definitely one of the reasons which I avoided it, though that mid 40's is not as dramatic as I thought, what is your avg ambient temp if I may ask? Also if you have any complementary data for temps when gaming/benchmarking or any other usages, I'd love to see it, I still do have time till 20th Jan in case I decide to change my mind hahaha (the other reason to not get the Max was the battery, also still checking numbers)

It can be for several reasons, from customer philosophy to company one and a long etc, but I think there are two main ones:

1. The laptop is meant to be used within professional work environments, so first you don't want to bother the people around you with unnecessary noises, and in others such as music/movies/series/theatres/studios ... maybe you really can't make any loud noise and don't need the fan unless it's necessary, and if it kicks in, it still needs to be quiet to avoid get registered by any mic you have around, even the ambient one that the Mac is equipped with if you use it.

2. Pre-M1 Intel MBP from 2017-2019 as far as I read were like wind turbines and they kicked in fans really fast to avoid any throttling, add the fact that those processors are like little ovens, so both things combined made the computers hot and loud. Maybe these curves are really tuned down even beyond the "acceptable minimum" to compensate the placebo effect to the customer after past generations. Despite that, I don't think Apple engineers put down curves that will damage neither shorten the lifespan of the CPU just for this, it'll be maintained in a "safe" area even the fans run at low rpm.

Of course, this is just a personal opinion, I could be wrong, but both seem plausible, and as mentioned, in the past years Apple always liked to make quiet computers while still offering good performance, and it's not exclusive to their laptops, most of the time, they tend to deliver.
my ambient temps range from 65F to 85F but ambient temp doesn't seem to affect CPU temp in all of my monitoring. I linger around 45 to 55C in light use. Basically anything from Youtube (not in fullscreen on Firefox, for some reason there's a bug that makes temps jump to 75C and can only be reset by restarting) and downwards. The highest temp that I've seen recorded was 95C and that was rendering a 2:30 min 4k clip h.265. I just hit 78C while doing some video editing (reversing footage and speed changes).

For the most part my temps range from 53 - 63C for most of the day while I'm on VDI (work), Firefox/Safari, and TD Thinkorswim. Fans come on around 2k when I open TOS and won't turn off until I close

Reactions: SirKeldon

Memolomazo

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2021
here are two more snapshots of my temperatures after turning on the MacBook after several hours of not using it.

On power up it was at about 35 degrees, once I started using it to read a bit, started adguard, turned on Spotify and watched some hdr videos in 4k in YouTube, and the temperature stays at about 43-45 degrees at most.
All this in my bed, with a hard case and a keyboard case as well.
Room temp will be 20 degrees.

I will take it for granted that these temperatures are correct.

It strikes me that the performance core 7 is the hottest of all (47 degrees) while the efficiency core is one of the coldest (43).

The laptop feels slightly warm, nothing special.

I guess this is the way it is, it's not as cold as the mbp13 m1 but it's still cooler than a top of the range msi, which even at 45 degrees, has an area near the screen that if you touch it almost burns.

Apparently idle temperatures on both MacBook 14 m1pro or m1max are similar, so whoever has the money, if you can invest in a mbp14 with m1 max, better get that one.

It has been interesting to investigate and share opinions on temperatures of the new MacBook, I had never cared about this before, but I guess when you spend 3000 euros on a computer, you look for any defect.

1642077751057.png

1642077760548.png

Reactions: SirKeldon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.