Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacoblo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi guys!

Had a few problems with my new MacBook Pro 2017 and curious if others had similar issues. This is what happened:

• The monitor's (H277HU) usb-c cable did not work. Assume this was 3.1 gen 1. Works fine with MBP 2016 model.
  • Bought a 3.1 gen 2 cable and it works for both power and image with same monitors.
  • Worked fine until I tried USB hub functionality last week. Charges phone and gives power to external HDD, but no data transfered to MacBook.
  • Tried with other monitors of same model and same issue. Once again no problem with MBP 2016 model.
Anyone else with new MBP that have had similar problems? Does gen 1 cables work with your MacBook's and shouldn't it be backward compatible? Could it be the Asus monitor causing the problems?

Setup
Computer: MacBook Pro 2017 "13 model with 2,4 GHz i5, 16gb, Intel iris Plus Graphics 640.
Monitor: Acer H277HU
Gen 2 cable working: USB-C cable 0,5m

Vortimer

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
Germany
Hi jacoblo!
I've got the same issues. I used the H277HU with a 2016 Macbook and everything was fine. Since I've got my 2017 MBP nothing works. I even bought a new 3.1 gen 2 cable but still nothing.
If I connect the H277HU with my MBP it will charge the Macbook but nothing more. No image, no sound, nothing but charging.

I even called Apple Care multiple times and I visited an Apple Store to search for help. But neither could give me an explanation. Apple Care told me (after 2 hours of pressing key-combinations for various resets) that the monitor and the MBP aren't compatible because of Thunderbolt 3. The employees at the Apple Store didn't even have an answer for me. They simply said that it's curious and it should work.

Did you do anything special with the gen 2 cable? I bought mine from Apple to see if it would work, but it did nothing more than the cable which was delivered with the H277HU

Last edited:

jacoblo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
That sucks but at least I know it is not a problem with my MacBook specifically.

I was in contact with Acer and got really **** response about it most likely being that but no plans to test it or explore it further. Tried to escalate it but no luck yet.

Mostly curious if it is Apple or Acer's fault. And if so can it be fixed by Apple software release.

Nope, nothing specifically. Gen 2 no name brand and quite short (0,5m) if that makes any difference.

mbrachma

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2017
I'm having similar issues - connected my 2017 MBP to the Acer H277HU using the Acer USB 3.1-C cable and it only charges my computer. No video, audio, etc....and I still can't get the display to connect when I use an HDMI to USB 3.1 converter plug.

If I understand the previous post correctly I need a different type of USB 3.1 cable to get the video to work? Thanks for the help, what a frustrating problem....

Last edited:

xqtr

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2017
I'm having the same issue but with the 2017 12 inch MacBook. It charges through USB-C but there is no video...

mm94210

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2017
I have the same combo (2017 MacBook Pro and acer h277hu) and have been experiencing similar issues - no image, sound when connected using a belkin USB 3.1 to 3.1, however my MacBook is charging. I was wondering if any of you guys found a solution or could recommend a cable that will work with both these. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

PesAnserine

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2017
Hello everyone, I am having the same problem! I have a 2017 MBP and an Acer H277HU and nothing works besides the monitor charging the MBP - there is no image or sound or anything.

This is really frustrating, I was hoping to see if anyone has found a solution for this problem? Is it within the realm of possibility that this problem may be fixed with an Apple Software Update later on down the road?

mm94210

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2017
Can I ask if any of you guys have had any success at all with this monitor and a MacBook/MacBook Pro 2017. I have only tried USB c to USB c. For instance if I buy a USB c to hdmi do you think that will work and I can then just charge the MacBook using the other port (not what I really intended but at the moment my h277hu is just a feature in the room). Thanks.

PesAnserine

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2017
What I currently have set up as a temporary work-around is my MBP connected to a USB-C to (USB-C + HDMI + USB 2.0) dongle and am using an HDMI cable to connect to the Asus monitor. The USB-C from the dongle is used to charge the MBP and the USB 2.0 connects to a standard USB hub so I can use my wireless mouse and keyboard.

Of course this basically defeats the whole purpose of getting this monitor since it can no longer act as a "hub" and requires significantly more wired connections....but it does work!

So to answer your question mm94210, that plan should work.

mm94210

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2017
Thanks for that PesAnserine, I think I will go get myself a USB c to hdmi for the time being in the hope that a solution/update can be found.

Vortimer

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
Germany
I recently called Apple Care again and they let me do the same resets as before (pressing various key combinations after the Macbook turns on). And just after the resets were done and I logged in, EVERYTHING worked with the USB-c cable. But just for a brief moment. After plugging the cable out and in, to check if it would work again, everything was back to normal and my MBP just charged.
The Apple Care employee was as confused as I was and he couldn't explain why it worked after the reset. He suspected that something blocks the signal which was briefly deactivated through the reset progress.
After that happened I got a mail with a program, which would check the system and the results would be send to apples engineers(?). After a few days passed I got the same reply as before: The monitor isn't compatible.

Very curios

xqtr

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2017
I recently called Apple Care again and they let me do the same resets as before (pressing various key combinations after the Macbook turns on). And just after the resets were done and I logged in, EVERYTHING worked with the USB-c cable. But just for a brief moment. After plugging the cable out and in, to check if it would work again, everything was back to normal and my MBP just charged.
The Apple Care employee was as confused as I was and he couldn't explain why it worked after the reset. He suspected that something blocks the signal which was briefly deactivated through the reset progress.
After that happened I got a mail with a program, which would check the system and the results would be send to apples engineers(?). After a few days passed I got the same reply as before: The monitor isn't compatible.

Very curios

Interesting. I got a similar response as well. This has to be a driver issue....maybe we should reach out to Acer too?

Vortimer

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
Germany
You could try calling them. Maybe you'll get a better answer
I once called them and after saying that I'm using a 2017 MBP they simply replied, that Apples Thunderbolt 3 doesn't work with "basic" USB-C and that I would need a Thunderbolt 3 display.
But that can't be the reason for our problems if it doesn't even work on the 12" Macbook...

BravoTangoPapa

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2015
I contacted Acer support, and they have a firmware update for the H277HU that resolves the 2017 MB/MBP compatibility issues. Unfortunately, the firmware can only be installed by an Acer technician. My display is still under warranty, so I am going to send it in to be updated. Please note that Acer will want you to cover the shipping (one way)... I argued this point, and they agreed to send me a shippping label. It's a bit of a hassle, but still nice to know there is a solution.

mm94210

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2017
Hi BravoTangoPapa. This sounds like promising news, however, my monitor is currently with acer and they say there is no update. Could you tell me where you got this information and any more details about the update. Thanks.

BravoTangoPapa

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2015
Hi BravoTangoPapa. This sounds like promising news, however, my monitor is currently with acer and they say there is no update. Could you tell me where you got this information and any more details about the update. Thanks.

I received my information directly from Acer, and was informed that the firmware update in question specifically addressed the functionality issues with the new 2017 MacBooks and MacBook Pros. The information provided seemed very specific to this issue, which makes be believe they actually have a fix.

mm94210

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2017
Thanks for getting back to me.

Do you know if there is a code or version for this update? I just spoke to them and the guy had no knowledge of it but it sounds really promising and that there is finally a fix to this issue.

BravoTangoPapa

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2015
Thanks for getting back to me.

Do you know if there is a code or version for this update? I just spoke to them and the guy had no knowledge of it but it sounds really promising and that there is finally a fix to this issue.

Sorry, no specific version number(s).

xqtr

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2017
I contacted Acer support, and they have a firmware update for the H277HU that resolves the 2017 MB/MBP compatibility issues. Unfortunately, the firmware can only be installed by an Acer technician. My display is still under warranty, so I am going to send it in to be updated. Please note that Acer will want you to cover the shipping (one way)... I argued this point, and they agreed to send me a shippping label. It's a bit of a hassle, but still nice to know there is a solution.

Thanks for the info. It's ridiculous that we have to ship the monitor back to get the firmware update...

Sylvain-L

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2017
Sorry, no specific version number(s).
Hi BravoTangoPapa, May we ask to stay in touch with the forum in order to get back news about the result's firmware update, especially if it's works!

For information of all readers of this forum, I've leaded some action in France towards Apple and Acer in order to alert them about this situation and the first ways to solve it... because none was aware about this; I was the first customer -it's seems- whom alerted them on this issue. I'm in vacation during the 3 next weeks, but I'll give you news when I'll be back... Let's Hope, Acer and Apple have initiated a collaboration to solve this trouble.
See you soon,
S.L.

Vortimer

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
Germany

I just called Acer and it's true, there is a firmware update which should be the solution to our problems. The employee I talked to said, that it's a firmware update to version 1.0.2 and that those monitors who were produced(/shipped?) before december 2016 still had the old 1.0.1 firmware.
I don't have to pay any shipping costs either.

Let's hope this closes the case!

Reactions: BravoTangoPapa

jacoblo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I just received this from the Scandinavian Acer support team after having it escalated. Same situation here with them being completely unaware of it both at Apple and Acer.

Its not compatible with the new Macbook Pro device. Apple is using the new USB-C Ports with USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps). And the Acer H277HU Display supports only USB 3.1 Gen 1 (up to 5 Gbps) which had a much lower bandwidth of 5Gbps, so not all features can be supported at the same time or even not at all.

Would be great to hear back from you guys if the firmware update fixes anything. Which models are you on? H277HU smipuz?

Vortimer

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
Germany
Its not compatible with the new Macbook Pro device. Apple is using the new USB-C Ports with USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps). And the Acer H277HU Display supports only USB 3.1 Gen 1 (up to 5 Gbps) which had a much lower bandwidth of 5Gbps, so not all features can be supported at the same time or even not at all.
That's pretty much the answer I received the first time I called Acer. Really hoping the update will be our solution. I send them my H277HU today. Hopefully I don't have to wait too long.

jacoblo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
That's pretty much the answer I received the first time I called Acer. Really hoping the update will be our solution. I send them my H277HU today. Hopefully I don't have to wait too long.

That's what they said first and then changed their mind? U.S. support or?

Vortimer

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
Germany
The first time I called them (Acer Germany) was in early july. That time they told me nearly the exact same things as they told you. After hearing about the update from BravoTangoPapa I called them again on monday. This time they told me that the firmware update should be everything I need to use the monitor with my MBP via USB-C.
On a side note: The employee had to read through all of the firmware-update notes first, before he could give me an answer, because our case seems to be pretty rare and the update fixes some more issues (white-screen bugs while gaming,...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.