Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacoblo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
The first time I called them (Acer Germany) was in early july. That time they told me nearly the exact same things as they told you. After hearing about the update from BravoTangoPapa I called them again on monday. This time they told me that the firmware update should be everything I need to use the monitor with my MBP via USB-C.
On a side note: The employee had to read through all of the firmware-update notes first, before he could give me an answer, because our case seems to be pretty rare and the update fixes some more issues (white-screen bugs while gaming,...)
Lucky you ;-) Did the same thing and they refused to reach out to the U.S. support or do the firmware update. If it solves your guys problems then I will definitely go after them again.

Is it the smipuz model?

Pedro McCloud

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2017
Hello there,

Just to report that I picked up my brand new 2017 MacBook Pro today and I am indeed having the same issues that you all speak of. The MacBook is receiving power and seeing the attached HDD's but no display is shown.

Pedro McCloud

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2017
Just to let you guys know that I seem to have fixed my issue.

The issue apparently is with the USB C cable. Being 3.0, it doe not have the data speed to cope with the demand of monitor. I have upgraded to a 3.1 which has done the trick.

Also, The USB-C cable that you receive in the box from apple will also not work as it is 3.0.

Hope this helps.

waigx

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2014

The issue apparently is with the USB C cable. Being 3.0, it doe not have the data speed to cope with the demand of monitor. I have upgraded to a 3.1 which has done the trick.

Also, The USB-C cable that you receive in the box from apple will also not work as it is 3.0.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info, would you mind to post the link of your 3.1 cable? I will probably buy one see if it works...

waigx

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2014
My apologies. I forgot to link it earlier.

eeco USB Type C to C 3.1 Cable,Gen 2 Charging and Transfer Cable 1m, 10Gbps Hi-speed USB-C to USB-C Cable Charge for OnePlus 3/3T, Macbook, iPad Pro, Google Pixel, Samsung Galaxy S8, LGG6 and More https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071ZRQ4RR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_s2EMzbBR8ZAG6

Thanks for sharing, this is the US amazon link (Should be the same thing) :https://www.amazon.com/eeco-Transfer-Connect-Macbook-Chromebook/dp/B071ZRQ4RR

Ordered one and will arrive next Tuesday, I am going to update the result then.

---
Update: BTW mine is rMB 2017, which only comes with a 3.1 Gen 1 port

---
Update: The same cable doesn't work. As mentioned, I have rMB 2017. The monitor firmware version VER 201 160816

Last edited:

jacoblo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden

Hope this helps.

As I said in first post, once I bought a 3.1 generation 2 cable it got charging and screen to work, but not enough to handle data transfer. Does that work for you?

Pedro McCloud

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2017
As I said in first post, once I bought a 3.1 generation 2 cable it got charging and screen to work, but not enough to handle data transfer. Does that work for you?

Everything works. Charging, monitor and data connection.

Is it possible yours is a 3.0 by mistake? Th cable supplied by Acer in the box is actually a 3.1 version.

jacoblo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Everything works. Charging, monitor and data connection.

Is it possible yours is a 3.0 by mistake? Th cable supplied by Acer in the box is actually a 3.1 version.

Nope, 3.1 generation 2 and double checked it. Unfortunately they don't ship to Sweden but if more people find it working then I will have to start buying up all different usb-c cables I can find :)

Vortimer

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
Germany
A USB-C 3.1 cable didn't do the job for me. Bought one in july (directly from the Apple Store), but nothing changed.
When did you buy your monitor? Maybe you already have the new firmware update installed, which could explain why it works for you.

waigx

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2014
A USB-C 3.1 cable didn't do the job for me. Bought one in july (directly from the Apple Store), but nothing changed.
When did you buy your monitor? Maybe you already have the new firmware update installed, which could explain why it works for you.

The USB version number is a little bit misleading, the USB-C 3.1 could be Gen 1 or Gen 2. Which Gen are you using?

---

Update: Oh, nvm. Just checked Apple website they didn't mention about the generation.

Pedro McCloud

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2017

It was purchased in December 2016.

Vortimer

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
Germany
The employee I talked to said, that it's a firmware update to version 1.0.2 and that those monitors who were produced(/shipped?) before december 2016 still had the old 1.0.1 firmware.
If the information I got is correct, I'd assume you were lucky and got one of the first H277HU with the new firmware installed.
Maybe we'll need both, the firmware update and a Gen2 cable. I'll check it, as soon as I get my H277 back.

iRainer

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2017
Switzerland
If the information I got is correct, I'd assume you were lucky and got one of the first H277HU with the new firmware installed.
Maybe we'll need both, the firmware update and a Gen2 cable. I'll check it, as soon as I get my H277 back.

Does anybody know how to check what firmware the H277HU is running? I tried this

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39560

but that doesn't display anything besides the normal on screen menu...

scinos

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2017
I think I know how to get the firmware version. This is what I did:

- Turn off the monitor and unplug usb-c cable
- Turn it on by pressing power and the left most button. Keep both keys pressed until you see the 'No signal' message
- When you see the 'No signal' message, stop pressing both buttons and press the left most button again. This will show a menu on the top-left.
- Press the third button from the left. This will open a different menu
- This menu has 4 icons on the left and a little 'F' on the top-left corner. Using the arrows (4th and 5th buttons) select the 'F' and enter (3rd button).

This will open a menu that looks related to Support operations. At the end I can see

'FW VER 201 DATE 160816'

I guess that's the firmware version and the date. It makes sense, because mine is before December 2016 and I get the usb-c problem too.

Reactions: waigx

iRainer

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2017
Switzerland
I think I know how to get the firmware version. This is what I did:

[...]

'FW VER 201 DATE 160816'

I guess that's the firmware version and the date. It makes sense, because mine is before December 2016 and I get the usb-c problem too.

Great, thanks, that worked for me (I didn't need to unplug the display cable). I now know that I have the 'H277HU kmipuz' with FW 'Ver 100 Date 151125'. I purchased the monitor in Nov 2016, pretty old firmware though. Because I haven't bought my MacBook Pro 13 2017 yet, I can't comment on the other issues.

Last edited:

iRainer

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2017
Switzerland
It would be interesting if you guys with working or not working setups would report the following parameters:
  • MB/MBP model
  • H277HU model (kmipuz, smipuz)
  • H277HU firmware
  • USB-C cable type
  • sound/video ok/nok, charging ok/nok, USB hub/data ok/nok
Did I forget something?

Pedro McCloud

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2017
Right. The monitor thing worked for me now.

2017 SG MacBook Pro 13' (i7, 16gb, 512gb)

H277HU kmipuz

FW Ver 100 Date 151125

USB-C cable (eeco USB Type C to C 3.1 Cable,Gen 2 Charging and Transfer Cable 1m, 10Gbps Hi-speed USB-C to USB-C Cable Charge for OnePlus 3/3T, Macbook, iPad Pro, Google Pixel, Samsung Galaxy S8, LGG6 and More https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071ZRQ4RR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_y3CNzbCNDY7B6)

Sound, Video, USB hub and Data ok

Reactions: iRainer

BravoTangoPapa

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2015
Update...

I received my H277HU back from Acer yesterday afternoon, and have nothing good to report. According to the enclosed service order, they were unable to duplicate the issue ("monitor powers up with good, stable display, all inputs, HDMI DP USB-C, tested good with Chromebook. Extensive overnight burn in testing, and powered monitor off and back on multiple times. Always powered back on"). So, as you can see, they clearly DID NOT test for the actual problem. I confirmed that the monitor is still not working with my 2017 MacBook.

I contacted Acer support, and was told that they determined that "I did not need the firmware update they had," and that they did not have a fix for the 2017 MacBook display issues - according to Acer, the fix will come in the form of a firmware update from Apple, and they have no idea when this is happening.

In conclusion, Acer apparently had me send my monitor in under false pretenses, and we are at the mercy of an Apple firmware update to make this monitor work with the 2017 MacBooks. At this point, the single-cable docking setup is more important to me than the benefits of the new MacBook Pro, so I will be keeping my 2016 M5 MacBook, and returning the MBP. In addition, this will likely be the last Acer product I ever purchase.

Best of luck to the rest of you that are experiencing this issue/frustration.

Reactions: waigx
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.