Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjneubur

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2017
Read Sylvain-L post with excitement but this did not unfortunately work for me. perhaps i'm doing something wrong.

MBP 2017 Touch pad purchased last week.

Installed 64 bit version, was given message: "existing Hx3 version 1.10.0.B7 CCG Device App version 0.1.15"

then got "upgraded Hx3 Version: 1.10.B7 CCG Device App Version 0.1.18"

tried 3 different usb-c cables (the one that came with the MBP, the once that came with monitor, and this one, definately gen 2 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L0F6AJI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

no power, no usb hub, no video, no audio.

What am I doing wrong?
upload_2017-9-19_12-27-46.png

gawry

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2017
Finally tried it out and works like a charm here with display, charging and usb hub. Amazing :)
Which cable have you used? I'm waiting for a cable I bought but not sure if it will work.
[doublepost=1505867626][/doublepost]
Read Sylvain-L post with excitement but this did not unfortunately work for me. perhaps i'm doing something wrong.

MBP 2017 Touch pad purchased last week.

Installed 64 bit version, was given message: "existing Hx3 version 1.10.0.B7 CCG Device App version 0.1.15"

then got "upgraded Hx3 Version: 1.10.B7 CCG Device App Version 0.1.18"

tried 3 different usb-c cables (the one that came with the MBP, the once that came with monitor, and this one, definately gen 2 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L0F6AJI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

no power, no usb hub, no video, no audio.

What am I doing wrong?
View attachment 719013

I didn't get my new cable yet, but after doing the firmware upgrade I was able to charge and transfer data using the cable that came with the monitor. As soon as I get my usb-c gen 2 cable, I will post my results.

gawry

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2017
Update here: Testing with the new cable and it didn't work out. :-(

Another update. I've bought a thunderbolt cable from Belkin and now it works!!!

Last edited:

AdiD

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2017
I've done it with a PC W10 and now it works very well (displayed, charge and usb plug)... great... incredible to have to make the job of ACER... not too much complex but several e-mails and call phones to arrive to this... if anyone require the files after automatically deleted, please get in touch with me.

Hi Sylvain,
I'm having the same issue, so I intend to apply the firmware patch. Can you please let me know how could I get it?
Thank you.

gawry

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2017
Hi Sylvain,
I'm having the same issue, so I intend to apply the firmware patch. Can you please let me know how could I get it?
Thank you.

You should use the driver that Sylvain-L posted on page 3. You will need a windows computer (you can't use virtual machine) and a good cable (can't say if just usb-c gen 2 is enough).

It only worked for me when I bought a belkin thunderbolt 3 cable.

Hi everyone,

I've received this link from Acer assistance France in order to update the firmware by yourself... Please download it ASAP, because the validity is only one week : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0WJLHzyWXyHdTJLVWdqNGMzdjg
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0WJLHzyWXyHdTJLVWdqNGMzdjg
S.L.

Smicale

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2017
So I too bought this monitor and I also have a new MacBook pro 2017 13". I can't get this monitor to work with it either even after upgrading that firmware that was posted on this forum. I have also bought a insignia USB type C to HDMI dongle and tried that and it does not work either. I also tried that dongle with a completely different monitor and no luck either. This is leading me to believe that this is more of a Apple issue. Unless this third party dongle I bought is not going to do these trick and I would need there Apple branded dongle. I am updating to HighSierra now and hoping that this might fix this. I'll let you all know.
[doublepost=1506864769][/doublepost]I installed HighSierra and still no luck! I am going to the Apple Store later today and see if they can give me an idea what might be causing this. What a Pain In The A$$!

gawry

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2017
So I too bought this monitor and I also have a new MacBook pro 2017 13". I can't get this monitor to work with it either even after upgrading that firmware that was posted on this forum. I have also bought a insignia USB type C to HDMI dongle and tried that and it does not work either. I also tried that dongle with a completely different monitor and no luck either. This is leading me to believe that this is more of a Apple issue. Unless this third party dongle I bought is not going to do these trick and I would need there Apple branded dongle. I am updating to HighSierra now and hoping that this might fix this. I'll let you all know.
[doublepost=1506864769][/doublepost]I installed HighSierra and still no luck! I am going to the Apple Store later today and see if they can give me an idea what might be causing this. What a Pain In The A$$!

You should try to use a good USB-c Gen 2 (I say that because I have a crappy one that doesn't work) or a thunderbolt 3 cable. I believe you will need to update the firmware as we have been talking here.

Reactions: waigx

Smicale

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2017
I went to the Apple store and no luck there getting this to work through the USB-C on the monitor. I was however able to buy the $70 Apple dongle (USB-C, HDMI, & USB) and it does work. Downside is that the ports on the back of the monitor are useless (USB Ports) Nothing you plug into them works. So do I live with it this way or return it. We tried Apple USB-C 3.1 cables and it did not work either. What USB-C 3.1 GEN 2 cable is everyone else using that has this working? I did upgrade the Firmware and it does not seem to fix this issue.
[doublepost=1506885571][/doublepost]
Update here: Testing with the new cable and it didn't work out. :-(

Another update. I've bought a thunderbolt cable from Belkin and now it works!!!
Can you post what Belkin cable you bought?

gawry

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2017
I went to the Apple store and no luck there getting this to work through the USB-C on the monitor. I was however able to buy the $70 Apple dongle (USB-C, HDMI, & USB) and it does work. Downside is that the ports on the back of the monitor are useless (USB Ports) Nothing you plug into them works. So do I live with it this way or return it. We tried Apple USB-C 3.1 cables and it did not work either. What USB-C 3.1 GEN 2 cable is everyone else using that has this working? I did upgrade the Firmware and it does not seem to fix this issue.
[doublepost=1506885571][/doublepost]
Can you post what Belkin cable you bought?

I used this one bought at the Brazilian online apple store
https://www.apple.com/br/shop/produ...b&fs=f=13_mbp_thdblt3_late2016&fh=4595%2B4803

The model is HKK127M/A

I think this is the same.
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...b&fs=f=13_mbp_thdblt3_late2016&fh=4595%2B4803

nnr

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2017
Hi everyone,

I've received this link from Acer assistance France in order to update the firmware by yourself... Please download it ASAP, because the validity is only one week : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0WJLHzyWXyHdTJLVWdqNGMzdjg
S.L.

I have encountered the same issue with my monitor, so I tried to download the updated you uploaded.
When I run it, I get the next message:
"Unable to locate any compatible Hub Device for upgrade. Bailing out..."​

Any idea how to make it works?

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I had the Acer H277HU with a 2016 12" MacBook and had nothing but problems with it. Things plugged into the ports sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. The internal speakers sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. I eventually sold it out of frustration. I currently have the 2017 13" MBP with the LG UltraFine 4K. While the USB-C ports run at slower speeds, they always work as well as the internal speakers. I have an external SSD, USB-C to ethernet adaptor, and USB-C to USB-A for the bluetooth dongle of a headset to use for Skype for business and everything works fine. The LG is far from perfect but at least it just works.

gawry

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2017
I have encountered the same issue with my monitor, so I tried to download the updated you uploaded.
When I run it, I get the next message:
"Unable to locate any compatible Hub Device for upgrade. Bailing out..."​

Any idea how to make it works?

Did you use a virtual machine or a Windows computer? I wasn't able to upgrade the firmware using a virtual machine.

nnr

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2017
Did you use a virtual machine or a Windows computer? I wasn't able to upgrade the firmware using a virtual machine.
Right, I tried using a VM, cause this is what I have.
Not sure what will be easier, send the monitor to Acer, or get my hands on a Win machine...

achinhorn

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2017
I had the Acer H277HU with a 2016 12" MacBook and had nothing but problems with it. Things plugged into the ports sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. The internal speakers sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. I eventually sold it out of frustration. I currently have the 2017 13" MBP with the LG UltraFine 4K. While the USB-C ports run at slower speeds, they always work as well as the internal speakers. I have an external SSD, USB-C to ethernet adaptor, and USB-C to USB-A for the bluetooth dongle of a headset to use for Skype for business and everything works fine. The LG is far from perfect but at least it just works.

Although this is too late to help you, I created an account just to jump in for anyone else running 12 in 2016 Macbook with issues (I have early 2016). I'm also running Windows 10 boot camp where I encountered this problem and can't confirm if it acts the same on OSX side but I suspect it does. I've had my monitor exactly 30 days and it was working fine albeit I never even tried to use the speakers which would have made it apparent sooner if it existed before. I came back after a week away from the office today and boom, all similar issues that you describe: monitor flicker, peripherals acting up, etc. Just generally completely random and erratic behavior that was unpredictable. Everything before this week seemed ok which is the weird part, but its possible my peripherals had been acting up and i was just confused. The flickering though is definitely new from what I can recall which is definitely not something you'd miss and i had times throughout the day where my keyboard didn't respond as desired.

Wasted about 2 hours on Acer support being told conflicting things and ultimately was told that my monitor should have updated firmware already given it was, according to them, manufactured after the firmware updates, and how I ultimately ended up here tonight having found this gem of a thread. I will update the firmware using what was so generously provided a few pages back first and if that doesn't work I will run to the store and grab a thunderbolt 3 or USB-C Gen 2 cable. I will report my findings on Monday (10.9) when I'm back in the office and (hopefully) have a working monitor.

Also, as a side note, I'm never buying Acer again. I don't care how nice the device is when it's working--having to use firmware and problem solve with fellow users on a forum to find the solution faster than 2 hours with their own customer support is atrocious, and their solution was to mail it in for 7-10 day turn around when I have to work, only likely to return unchanged with a missing cable going by what other people are saying. What a joke. I want to throw this monitor through their corporate office front window. Awful company.

Reactions: tvamvarg

iRainer

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2017
Switzerland
Update from Switzerland: I bought a MB12 2017 yesterday and as expected I don't get any video, just charging. I don't have access to a Win10/USB-C PC and can't perform the firmware update provided by user Sylvain-L.

I called Acer support Switzerland and they said that they know the problem. I have to send in my H277HUkmipuz (FW Ver 100 Date 151125) and they are going to replace the mainboard (!), not just flash it. They said that I will have to buy a USB 3.1 gen 2 cable as well.

iRainer

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2017
Switzerland
Good news from here!

I already got the monitor back from Acer support Switzerland and now everything works fine: video, sound, charging, USB hub functionality.

According to them they updated the system BIOS and the firmware (however, if I check the on-screen support menu, it still looks as before and says "FW Ver 100 Date 151125" - Vortimer reported the same in post 59#...).

I'm using
  • MacBook 12'' 2017 (running macOS 10.13)
  • Belkin Thunderbolt 3 cable 4K 20 Gbps (F2CD081bt1M-BLK - 8830bt23190 Rev. C00)

ultrakomm

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2011
Acer is pathetic. After explaining the issue to Acer support in Sweden several times over the phone they told me that flashing the firmware will fix the issue. I asked if I could flash it myself, but they said it had to be shipped to their repair center to be flashed.

So I sent the display to Germany and got it back a week later or so. The issue is still there, the firmware wasn't flashed and Acer support in Germany says there is no fix for this issue.

Insane.

RasmusBeck

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone,

S.L.

This worked for my MBP 2017 i7 with a USB 3.0 5GBPS cable.

My MBP 2016 i5 also works with the screen after the firmware18 update but it also worked before.

Thanks a bunch mate for this.

AndreasLW

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2017
Sweden
Finally tried it out and works like a charm here with display, charging and usb hub. Amazing :)
Vad exakt behövde du göra för att få bildskärmen att fungera?
Har själv en MPB 2017. Använder medföljande USB C sladd. Skärmen är en smipuz variant om det har betydelse. Får ingen bild. Acer supporten säger att skärmen inte är kompatibel med MPB 2017. Men du har lyckats?

ultrakomm

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2011
Acer is pathetic. After explaining the issue to Acer support in Sweden several times over the phone they told me that flashing the firmware will fix the issue. I asked if I could flash it myself, but they said it had to be shipped to their repair center to be flashed.

So I sent the display to Germany and got it back a week later or so. The issue is still there, the firmware wasn't flashed and Acer support in Germany says there is no fix for this issue.

Insane.

Update: One day I received an email from Acer support in Germany with a firmware fix. Haven't tried it yet, though. They say it should make the screen "fully compatible with the 2017 MBP", though.

thedatapata

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2017
Update: One day I received an email from Acer support in Germany with a firmware fix. Haven't tried it yet, though. They say it should make the screen "fully compatible with the 2017 MBP", though.

Could you share this file with us?

Im also getting the "Unable to locate any compatible Hub Device for upgrade. Bailing out..." from a Windows 10 machine, it seems like it doesn't connect to the USB at all. Is there a update mode or something on the screen? Should it be turned off to apply the firmware update?

AppleSheep

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2017
Had this problem. 2017 MBP T-bar would charge but no picture.

Updated the H277HU firmware successfully using the link Sylvain-L provided on page 3, (thanks for this!). Link below again.

It now works perfectly with the cable Acer provided.

To update I simply;

Used an amazon basics USB A to USB C cable (Gen 2). Unzipped the download on a W10 laptop. Attached the cable to the monitor. Ran the exe (note there are two 32 and 64 bit, choose your windows version). Update took minutes with no issue.

Link again here; https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0WJLHzyWXyHdTJLVWdqNGMzdjg credit Sylvain-L.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.