Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shamhead

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2018
Sorry no good help, but felt I should try.

First the obvious, you did put the USB-C end in the monitor and USB-A in the computer? (sorry if too obvious).

I used an old Intel Nuc, with windows 7. No drivers needed. Do you have access to another Wintel to try from?

Hi there, yes the cable was plugged in the correct way around, its a Belkin Mixit USB-C to A. I've ordered an Anker one to see if it was a cable issue. I've tried with 2 different Windows 10 PC's and get a sound as if something is connected then Windows throws up an driver error issue with the USB port and the firmware says it can't find a compatible device, bailing out.

Will try the new cable when it arrives, at a bit of a loss! I can use over HDMI but there is an annoying lag I think as the refresh rate drops.
[doublepost=1543238020][/doublepost]Also just ordered a USB-C to Displayport cable so at least I'll have a fallback option should it not work.

appeLappe

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2003
Sweden
Hi there, yes the cable was plugged in the correct way around, its a Belkin Mixit USB-C to A. I've ordered an Anker one to see if it was a cable issue. I've tried with 2 different Windows 10 PC's and get a sound as if something is connected then Windows throws up an driver error issue with the USB port and the firmware says it can't find a compatible device, bailing out.

Will try the new cable when it arrives, at a bit of a loss! I can use over HDMI but there is an annoying lag I think as the refresh rate drops.
[doublepost=1543238020][/doublepost]Also just ordered a USB-C to Displayport cable so at least I'll have a fallback option should it not work.

Hopefully the cable then.

Clutching at straws here, but did you use the monitor when trying to update it? As I remember it I actually had it diplaying for my macmini at the time of the update. I found a bit funny that it worked, without the slightest flicker.

Thomas F

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2018
Finally tried it out and works like a charm here with display, charging and usb hub. Amazing :)

I might be a little late to the game here, but bought this monitor today november 2018 and I have all the problems discussed in this thread. Reading about a magical cable from Amazon that does the trick got my hopes up but I cant order it to sweden so... what cable are you using???

Thomas F

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2018
Thank you everyone!

I have the Acer H277HU as well, was using it with my Macbook 2015. I just got the new Macmini and got the problems you all describe.

I downloaded the patch-application found in this thread and bought a USB-C Gen2 cable. The update was no problem but the screen was still black, even with the new cable and with the cable that came with the monitor. However I also tried a third cable, which I got with a USB-C HD enclosure and that worked! Sound and USB-hub! Don't know about power since I have a MacMini, which doesn't power through the thunderbolt ports.

For Scandinavian readers, This cable did not work:

https://www.netonnet.se/art/ljud-oc...-usb-3-1-gen-2-c-c-white-1m-3a/1004187.13718/

The cable from this did work:

https://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/e...co-map-gd49c-2a5-usb-ca-usb-3-1/244927.13910/

THANK YOU! Bought the one from NetonNet suggested in the link above and the cable worked straight out of the box!

FilAlb11

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2018
Hello guys,

Just registered comment on this thread.
I have ordered 10 mins ago this monitor on Amazon, will arrive in 1-2 days.
Does this Acer supplies enough power to charge a MacBook Pro 15"? Just bought a 2018 one.

Thank you for all the replies :)

Adam Plucner

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2019
London
Hello guys!

I would like firstly to say thanks for such a good support for all Mac users and that common problem with aces H277HU
I would like to add, on any purchased display in 2018 or later which has the newest firmware - MacBooks works, I just bought new MacBook 12 2017 and has been connected via usb-c from amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071ZRQ4RR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Perfectly works !

I tested my college's MacBook Pro 13'' 2017 and it works well!

It has worked on acer usb-c cable however only charging no vision and sound

Best regards

Adam

krishkal

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
THANK YOU for this thread! I had been using the Acer H277HU with my 13" 2016 with no problems, and I tried a 15" 2017 and got a black screen. Then I tried a newer usb-c cable, and got the picture but not USB Hub function. I downloaded the firmware to my Windows machine (great to have one, and good that ACER did not remove that in a week as originally stated!), and did the firmware update. Everything went fine, EXCEPT at the very end, it gave me a "failed for arrival" (I am not sure of the exact message, but "failed" and "arrival" were in it!). Tried it several times and got the same message, but tried it on the 15" MBP anyway. Success! Both picture and USB hub work! Also, went back to my original cable, and that one works too! So, it is really not a cable issue per se, although the newer cable DID help with the older firmware.

I still am only getting 29W of charging from this monitor. Is this a monitor limitation? Anyone find a way to make that better?

Thanks to this community, and especially for the post about the firmware link! I have NO idea why ACER has not put it up on their website; really no excuse other than incompetence on their part!

joshuas2115

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2017
All of the buttons on this monitor have recently stoped working. It is about a year old. Any solution to this?

kipdent

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2019
Even now in March of 2019, it was great to discover this thread, even though it was started more than a year ago. I just ordered an Acer H277HU (kmipuz) monitor from Amazon, and like most of you, it did not work with the latest MacBook Air with Retina display (late 2018 model). I purchased a currently available Belkin USC-C / Thunderbolt 3 (10 Gbps speed rated) cable and a USB A-to-C cable (Insignia brand) from Best Buy, and began the work. I first tried just the new USB-C cable without updating the firmware, and kept my fingers crossed. No joy, so this confirms that even H277HU monitors sold by places like Amazon in March 2019 might NOT have the latest firmware installed. So, I also downloaded the firmware file which is still at the link listed earlier in this thread, opened it using a Windows laptop running Windows 10 and launched the 64-bit version of the firmware application with the Belkin USB-C cable attached to the display. It successfully installed, and then I reconnected the MacBook Air with Retina display to the H277HU display and it works flawlessly--it mirrors a closed MacBook Air, it charges the MacBook Air, and supports the wired USB keyboard and even an external portable hard drive I use for Time Machine! Another successful user, all thanks to this Forum. Thank you, everyone. Now that it is working, I can say this Acer display seems like a good choice since it is one of the few USB-C displays that contains a USB hub to support common devices and charges the MacBook simultaneously, as intended by Apple and desired by users.

Last edited:

kipdent

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2019
Well, I may have posted prematurely! Though the Acer H277HU display is still functioning fine with the 2018 MacBook Air, if the Mac goes to sleep (or is put to sleep), the computer and display cannot be awoken in the normal way (touching a key or clicking a mouse button). Even when the MacBook Air's lid is opened, the computer does not reawaken. I had to tap the power button on the Air's keyboard, and that got the computer working again, but the display would only come back on after removing then reattaching the USB-C cable. This is pretty annoying. Is anyone else experiencing this, or does anyone have any ideas what may be wrong?

Last edited:

danwestbrook

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
Surrey, UK
Just got my Acer H277HK back from repair (problem with LCD) noticed that the screen works a lot better with my 2017 MBP 13". But now it seems like they forgot to connect the speakers back as I have no sound. Acer support has been really bad, not sure I can be dealing them again!

alanford75

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2019
Hi everyone,

I've received this link from Acer assistance France in order to update the firmware by yourself... Please download it ASAP, because the validity is only one week : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0WJLHzyWXyHdTJLVWdqNGMzdjg
S.L.

Solved the problem THANKS to Sylvain-L and NOT THANKS to the terrible service of Italian ACER customer service (what they said is: "it's not our problem, ACER monitors are not compatible with Apple!")

Fedm

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2019
Great thread guys, thank you very much for lots of details
Im planning on buy this screen for my wife to connect it with 12 inch MacBook with USB Type с
The MacBook is going to be connected and closed all the time she works, but she uses web conferences so she needs a camera. Can I buy a separate camera and how will it work in this setup?

Pnork24

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2019
TIP: If you are getting an error message, make sure that you are EXTRACTING ALL FILES from the zip folder before running the program.

Last edited:

MacMartinoNL

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2019
Hi, been reading the whole forum thing about the Acer H277HU - But now, I would like to know - is the H277HK the same? (Only One of you talked about a H277HK, maybe it was wrong) - they seem to be almost the same, the HK being a lot cheaper... so Please let me know - will it work with the HK as well?

Just got my Acer H277HK back from repair (problem with LCD) noticed that the screen works a lot better with my 2017 MBP 13". But now it seems like they forgot to connect the speakers back as I have no sound. Acer support has been really bad, not sure I can be dealing them again!

happycustomer93

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2020
Made an account to say THANK YOU!!!!!! Almost broke this damn monitor because I thought it wasnt going to work. Update alone fixed the issue. No need to buy another cable. Make sure you extract the files from the update zip.

tvamvarg

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2009
We have two of these monitors. They have behaved very erraticly, even after a firmware update. USB-C to MacBook 12" has never worked. USB-C with other Macs have been sporadic at best. Today, both screens won't wake up unless you unplug both the power cord to the power adapter, and the power plug to the screen, and the re-plug everything. It seems many things are broken here, both hardware and firmware wise (like, the power adapter, the power parts of the board, the USB-C port's power delivery...).
Considering these qualities, the lack of firmware support, the lack of clarity from the manufacturer, I'll avoid ACER at all costs in the future.

Edit: I bought a generic power adapter and hooked the monitor up. With this adapter, it will wake up predictably when input is detected. So no need to yank the power cabling in wizardly ways to get it up and running. The USB-C port seems totally dead still, though - no power delivery, no detection from the computer's side. So something on the monitor's board is certainly amiss as well.
ACER buyers beware.

Last edited:

Kuroro Sam

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2020
Thanks, I have updated the firmware provided by Sylvain-L. This is working.

I just use the usb-c to usb-c that come with monitor in Windows 10 bootcamp on my Macbook Pro 2018 Mid with Mac OS 10.15.4.

Recently, I have this new monitor but I am really surprise Acer haven't updated this monitor till 2020. Apple need to provide some under $1,000 monitor for Macbook Pro user.

geoffiez89

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2020
Cleveland, Ohio
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but just need to say thankyou. I've had this monitor since 2017 and have had it connected to my mac book via displayport however with everything going on I've been wfh with my work Dell 2in1 and for the life of me couldn't figure out why it wouldn't connect via USB c, as my work laptop is locked down pretty tight I had to use boot camp on my mac to install but it was effortless and took less than 5 mins from downloading plugging in a USB a to c cable and updating and then bam my work laptop works, including Hub Data, video and power.

However I have noticed the Acer seems to only output 30w which keeps my laptop powered but doesn't really charge it, but at least it works!

Thanks all!

ThxYouSylvain

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2020
Just want to say thankyou.
My config : MacBook 12' 2017, Acer H277HU
Without the firmware the monitor just charging the mac, so i installed the firmware and ALL WORKED (with the acer usb-c cable) !!!!!!!!

ccastrom9

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2021
Hi everyone! I'm new here but encountering the same issues and came across this thread.

Is there anywhere else where I may be able to download the firmware update? The Google Drive link is currently restricted.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.