Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregoriomenzel

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2017
So am I! I got my hands on a Win10 PC, connected with a USB-A to USB-A with the monitor, but it does not recognize it and when I try to update I too get the Unable to locate any compatible Hub Device for upgrade. Bailing out...".

So we seem to be having the same problem.
I'm very disapointed. And if you're having problems with the EU support I can imagine how insanely awful it must be here in Brazil.
Really looking for some light over here, cherrs.

FYI: Running a MBP 2017 w/o TB. tried using the cable from acer, the apple one and an Thunderbolt 3 Plugable one, no luck. Charging but no image. Firmware 201 160816.

Could you share this file with us?

Im also getting the "Unable to locate any compatible Hub Device for upgrade. Bailing out..." from a Windows 10 machine, it seems like it doesn't connect to the USB at all. Is there a update mode or something on the screen? Should it be turned off to apply the firmware update?

umbertoc

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
This is what worked for me:

1) I purchased a proper USB-C 3.1 cable - you will notice that the 3.1 cable is much thicker than the first generation USB-C cables. There are several options on Amazon. This is the one that worked for me:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01KGU0R9W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2) You must update the firmware - a link to the zip file is in this thread above. This requires a PC and you need to connect the PC to the monitor using a USB-A to USB-C cable. This allows the computer to find the monitor and once the monitor is detected, flashing the firmware takes only 1-2 minutes.

3) When you connect the MBP to the monitor, make sure that you have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse connected before you close the lid. I opted to pay for a magic keyboard and Magic Mouse to ensure that the peripherals connected flawlessly with the MBP.

Happy to report that with the above extra effort and expense, the monitor works beautifully. Elegant solution with one cable that both powers the MBP and provides video connectivity. The monitor itself is stunning and the speakers embedded in the monitor are very decent. I hope this helps!!

joshuas2115

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2017
This is what worked for me:

1) I purchased a proper USB-C 3.1 cable - you will notice that the 3.1 cable is much thicker than the first generation USB-C cables. There are several options on Amazon. This is the one that worked for me:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01KGU0R9W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2) You must update the firmware - a link to the zip file is in this thread above. This requires a PC and you need to connect the PC to the monitor using a USB-A to USB-C cable. This allows the computer to find the monitor and once the monitor is detected, flashing the firmware takes only 1-2 minutes.

3) When you connect the MBP to the monitor, make sure that you have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse connected before you close the lid. I opted to pay for a magic keyboard and Magic Mouse to ensure that the peripherals connected flawlessly with the MBP.

Happy to report that with the above extra effort and expense, the monitor works beautifully. Elegant solution with one cable that both powers the MBP and provides video connectivity. The monitor itself is stunning and the speakers embedded in the monitor are very decent. I hope this helps!!
How exactly do you install the update files?

pradoa

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I've registered just to thank you all for this thread!

By updating the driver as per the instructions with this cable ( https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00WJSPFOW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) and using this cable (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071ZRQ4RR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to connect to the monitor everything worked in MacBook Pro 2017 entry configuration.

Video, audio and charging. The whole update procedure took 5 minutes.

It does suck that Acer doesn't have the last firmware by default.

Last edited:

RASA_JAROSLAV

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2017
I have the same trouble - MB2015 works properly, MB2017 not with H277HU.

The fastest (but not nice) way is to use USB-C DIGITAL AV MULTIPORT ADAPTER:

- connect it to MB,
- monitor via USB-C cable to power input on it,
- monitor via HDMI,
- USB you can use for keyboard or split via any hub.

It works, including sound. I am not happy from this solution, but it is fast, calculate time..

ToN1oP

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2017
Hi guys and thanks for the advices! I thought it would resolve everything but... :(

I managed to update the firmware of the Acer H277HU (got the "Upgraded Hx3 Version: 1.10.0.B7 - CCG Device App Version: 0.1.18" message) but it still doesn't work with my MBP2017 (the 13,3' one with the TouchBar). The laptop charges but doesn't send any video signal to the monitor.

Any clue? I have the Belkin cable (the one from the Apple Store). Can't think of a reason why it still doesn't work.

Thanks and happy new year everyone!

cellshade

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2018
I tried another monitor, it is very similar, LG27UD88-W. It works properly.

My only issue now - is that using the ANKER 3.1 Gen USB C cable that I got from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerL...TF8&qid=1515413502&sr=1-1&keywords=B01EMIIFCU

Is charging but kinda not -- it's like showing me 10hrs to be full and while I work, it basically remains discharging rather than charging the macbook. I mean I am grateful that finally I can do audio and charging via USB C but if charging does not really work then it's useless. Did anyone run into similar issues?

I am using the 15" Macbook Pro Retina Touch from 2017. Maybe the 60W just isn't enough to charge my macbook?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
My only issue now - is that using the ANKER 3.1 Gen USB C cable that I got from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerL...TF8&qid=1515413502&sr=1-1&keywords=B01EMIIFCU

Is charging but kinda not -- it's like showing me 10hrs to be full and while I work, it basically remains discharging rather than charging the macbook. I mean I am grateful that finally I can do audio and charging via USB C but if charging does not really work then it's useless. Did anyone run into similar issues?

I am using the 15" Macbook Pro Retina Touch from 2017. Maybe the 60W just isn't enough to charge my macbook?

No you really need an 85w charger minimum.

I would use this sort of dock myself

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HooToo-Shuttle-100W-Charging-Resolution-Space-Gray/dp/B073WW6H9H

cellshade

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2018
No you really need an 85w charger minimum.

I would use this sort of dock myself

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HooToo-Shuttle-100W-Charging-Resolution-Space-Gray/dp/B073WW6H9H

Wait a second, pls don't tell me that instead of connecting one cable, I am back to a dongle?
I saw some cables said they supported 87W charging - does anyone have an idea if that can be achieved by just using a cable that support higher wattage or do I need an amplifier in between.

Either the Monitor provides enough POWER from the source then it's a cable thing - or .. it does not provide more than 60W out of the USB slot, in which case, I assume even the dongle would not work because what exactly would all of the sudden provide 87W to the macbook? I doubt the dongle would amplify the power from the monitor and sends it to the macbook then..

In anyway, either one cable and thats it or .. well, I can go back to my HDMI - USB - USB-C chaos that I just had yesterday :( #muchsad

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Wait a second, pls don't tell me that instead of connecting one cable, I am back to a dongle?
I saw some cables said they supported 87W charging - does anyone have an idea if that can be achieved by just using a cable that support higher wattage or do I need an amplifier in between.

Either the Monitor provides enough POWER from the source then it's a cable thing - or .. it does not provide more than 60W out of the USB slot, in which case, I assume even the dongle would not work because what exactly would all of the sudden provide 87W to the macbook? I doubt the dongle would amplify the power from the monitor and sends it to the macbook then..

In anyway, either one cable and thats it or .. well, I can go back to my HDMI - USB - USB-C chaos that I just had yesterday :( #muchsad

Well if that's all your monitor is providing then yes its not enough for a 15 inch MBP when under load to recharge or even remain charged, it would be fine for the 13 inch though. The cable should carry whatever charge is supplied up to 100W.

cellshade

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2018
I noticed something odd ...

So when the 15" MBP-T is connected to the USB-C of the H277HU the system information tool of MAC (Mac Symbol - About this Mac -> System Report -> Power) shows a louse 29W .. which is a bit odd ..
H277HU-29W-Charge-MBPT.png

I mean 29W is even less than what the 13" MBP would need, no wonder it would take 10hrs to charge.

So back to square 1 - either indeed, you can't run your 15" MBP .. I kinda doubt that - or maybe the cable does not allow full power? but then again, at least it should have thrown 60W as the cable manufacturer says

2jzshev

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2018
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for these posts. I upgraded from a MacBook (early 15) new MBP 13" last night. It was a struggle with many calls to Apple because of Timecapsule issues. But I was able to work that all out. Then I hooked into my Acer monitor and nothing happened. I had a low charge (like 18%) and no video or sound. My heart dropped because I use this monitor daily at home and TBH it is one of the best out there. I started to read this post about these known issues and figured I would give Acer USA a call since most of the responses were from Europe in here. That was a giant waste of time! They would not support me because the monitor was hooked up to a Mac. They also said that the monitor did not have any firmware inside of it. So basically I couldn't install anything on this unit. I had to call it a night and figure out a new plan.
This morning I went over to Best Buy and picked up a USB C to USB A cord (Belkin $29.99 and ill be taking it back :p). I fired up an old PC I had laying around and installed the driver that were linked in this post. IT WORKED!!!! No issues at all. The monitor fired right up and works just like it did with my 15 MacBook. I was really nervous guys. Thank you for laying it out so clearly and also thank you to whoever was able to get the software in the first place.

Steps to complete the update.

1. Download the linked file (page 3) to a USB stick or directly onto a Windows machine. NOTE: I tried to use Parallels running Windows 7 and it would not work. Must use a PC
  2. Connect the USB A to the PC and USB C to the Acer H277HU.
  3. Turn on the monitor.
  4. On your PC open the file (Firmware_R18) and double click on the .64 or .86 exe file. NOTE: You must figure out what bit your PC is (32, 64, 86,).
  5. Sit back and wait as it installs into the Acer.
  6. DONE! give it a TEST...

Thanks again everyone.

bullish

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2018
If I connected 2 of these monitors to my mac via two thunderbolt 3 ports, would the mac be able to tap into power from both monitors?

e.g if one monitor is providing 40 watts and the mac needs 60, could it receive 20 watts from the other monitor to make up the difference?

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
If I connected 2 of these monitors to my mac via two thunderbolt 3 ports, would the mac be able to tap into power from both monitors?

e.g if one monitor is providing 40 watts and the mac needs 60, could it receive 20 watts from the other monitor to make up the difference?

Mac would always choose the one that has higher power input.
For example, if I plug in Caldigit's thunderoblt 3 dock, my MBP can accept 85W charging from it. Then I plug in apple 87W charger, MBP will take 87W one. Only the highest input would be chosen. MBP is very smart to handle the power ;)

Reactions: bullish

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
If it is smart then surely it would draw power from other inputs if the highest input is not providing enough power?

It would only draw power from one source, so you should always use Apple's 87W charger or Thunderbolt 3 dock that can provide 85W charging, such as Caldigit's Thunderbolt 3 dock, TS3.
There is no way for Mac to receive two power inputs all together and accumulate themto 85W. That's why you should always use the 85W charger.

bullish

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2018
It would only draw power from one source, so you should always use Apple's 87W charger or Thunderbolt 3 dock that can provide 85W charging, such as Caldigit's Thunderbolt 3 dock, TS3.
There is no way for Mac to receive two power inputs all together and accumulate themto 85W. That's why you should always use the 85W charger.
ok thanks for clarifying! I appreciate your response :)

hiddenmonkey58

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2018
Hi all. Forgive me, but I'm new and not terribly computer savvy. I just mailed my ACER H277HU monitor in and it came back with the same issue (no video functionality) when connected to our 2017 Macbook computer. What's frustrating is that they say it has the latest firmware on it. I found the google download file and have it downloaded. I've also ordered the new USB C cable. Now I need to find a friend's PC that I can borrow in order to upload the new firmware? But which file? And how? It looks like there are a lot of different options in there, so I have no idea what to do after I find a PC to use. Could someone please help and dumb it down for me? Thank you.
[doublepost=1517353089][/doublepost]
Hi all. Forgive me, but I'm new and not terribly computer savvy. I just mailed my ACER H277HU monitor in and it came back with the same issue (no video functionality) when connected to our 2017 Macbook computer. What's frustrating is that they say it has the latest firmware on it. I found the google download file and have it downloaded. I've also ordered the new USB C cable. Now I need to find a friend's PC that I can borrow in order to upload the new firmware? But which file? And how? It looks like there are a lot of different options in there, so I have no idea what to do after I find a PC to use. Could someone please help and dumb it down for me? Thank you.
Also, do I download the bit for my PC that I find? Or the bit for the macbook that I want to run it to? Thank you again,

hiddenmonkey58

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2018
This worked for my MBP 2017 i7 with a USB 3.0 5GBPS cable.

My MBP 2016 i5 also works with the screen after the firmware18 update but it also worked before.

Thanks a bunch mate for this.

Does anyone have an update for this?? I don't see the .exe file in the google link anymore...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.