Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dewo

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2022
Hi, I have the same problem with my Acer and an Apple M1. Would be great if someone can help by sharing the Firmware Update.

irfan88

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2022
Hello guys, I have H277HU monitor since 2018, been using it with HDMI on older Mac 2015, now that I got new Mac M1 was hoping to finally use 1 USB-C cable for both charging and image, but charging works and image not. Can anyone share this firmware to try and update monitor, I can't find a way to contact acer support, and this product is out of warranty. Thank you very much!

UPDATE: I've just tried USB-C cable that came with the H277HU monitor and it worked without any firmware update!! I've set my Mac M1 screen to mirror on H277HU and all works great, I have charging + screen now with 1 cable :cool:

Last edited:

Zake

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2022
I've done it with a PC W10 and now it works very well (displayed, charge and usb plug)... great... incredible to have to make the job of ACER... not too much complex but several e-mails and call phones to arrive to this... if anyone require the files after automatically deleted, please get in touch with me.
Hi, I faced same error, please share the firmware again. Many thanks

theantipasta

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2022
Hi,

I had downloaded the linked firmware file years ago and only recently had access to a windows computer to apply the update. Worked like a charm!

Here it is for all users that have been looking for a copy now that the previous poster's link is dead. I encourage others to mirror this in case one day my link experiences the same fate as the previous one :)

Last edited:
Reactions: skauk and mac_aveli

Zake

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2022
Hi,

I had downloaded the linked firmware file years ago and only recently had access to a windows computer to apply the update. Worked like a charm!

Here it is for all users that have been looking for a copy now that the previous poster's link is dead. I encourage others to mirror this in case one day my link experiences the same fate as the previous one :)

Thanks a lot

Binzer11

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2022
Just tried this now, updated successfully and it doesn't connect at all to my M1 MacBook Pro. It used to connect most of the time before but since the update nothing. It provides power to the computer but no image on the external display.
:(

mac_aveli

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2023
Hey yall,
After 3 hours with messing with this, I got a H277HU monitor to work with my 2017 MacBook running macOS Mojave (Vers. 10.14.6) without doing the firmware update on the monitor. The workaround is to have a usb a (from monitor) to usb c (to usb c hub) cable and hdmi cable connected to your usb c hub. Using the usb a to c cable also powers up my MacBook. Cheers!

Update: So after unplugging the usb a to c cable while hdmi was still plugged in, the monitor quickly disconnected then reconnected and was working with just hdmi.

Update 2 (11/21) So I thought it was a perfect fix but turns out that it won't connect all the time but I did notice when I had Auto Source turned off and hit the input select button it would reconnect again. It might take some playing with the cable and input button but Should work.

Update 3 (11/25) It's hit or miss sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Last edited:

skauk

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2020
Update from me: I have the same behaviour as @mac_aveli describes. Sometimes the display is still not recognising my Macbook M1 and you have to reconnect the cable and power off/on the display a couple of times. Sometimes it won't recognise the laptop upon waking up. So still flaky.
I've re-uploaded the firmware (without drivers) below.

Attachments

• Firmware_R18.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:

macconex

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2024
Similar problem, might help others.

I have a MBP 14" 2021 (Sonoma 14.2.1) and received a used H277HU yesterday.

I tried the monitor and had a similar problem, no picture with the USB-C cable that came with the monitor (Targus SS10 cable, so 3.1 gen2 I guess?). I tried to connect and turn on the monitor and the computer in different order, tried with different cables etc. but nothing worked.

The monitor worked perfectly with a HDMI cable though.

Then I found this thread and played with the F-menu. Did reset from there and what not. Then I decided to try to connect the monitor once more. This time MacOs showed a notification for allowing Cypress Semicoductor USB hub to connect. I hadn't seen that notification during my previous attempts. Clicked Allow and lo and behold, the picture appeared on the monitor perfectly.

I was happy for a while. Even tested that putting the computer to sleep and waking up would turn on the monitor and it worked.

I disconnected and reconnected the monitor and after that it didn't work anymore ... Tried all the things mentioned above, but no luck.

Then I did the firmware update with a PC to see if would help. Everything seemed to go ok. According the updater the Hx3 version stayed in 1.10.0.87 after the update and CCG Device App version increased from 0.1.15 => 0.1.18. But the monitor still didn't work.

As a last resort I run the firmware updater again to see if the update had actually succeeded. The updater said that the Existing CCG Device App version was 0.1.18, but I let the update run through again even though there was already the updated version in the monitor.

After running the firmware update the second time the monitor started to work 🎉

The monitor type in the F-menu is H277HU kmipuz, FW version is 103 (didn't change during the firmware update), and manufacturing date is 170710.

So I guess the lesson here is that the monitor might work in some situations without the (CCG Device App) firmware update, but the firmware update is the key for making it work consistently. And that if the first firmware update doesn't solve the issue, do it again :)

skauk

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2020
I have found a newer firmware version (R19) than the one shared previously. It's available through the copy of Acer FTP server here. After update the version is shown as 0.2.19.
My monitor works with Macbook Air M1 but it sometimes won't wake up and switches USB power on and off while laptop is asleep. Not sure if this update changed any of this yet.
I'd be curious to know your experience.

macconex

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2024
My Macbook Pro M1 behaves similarly. If I disconnect the cable and the monitor goes in to the sleep mode (blinking blue on/off switch), it doesn't wake up anymore when the cable is plugged in again. I have to turn off monitor monitor and turn it back on to get the image. I haven't tested how the usb power behaves.

I will try the R19 and report if it helps.

macconex

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2024
R19 update didn't fix the issue :(

I think it brought "Quick start mode" and "Power-off USB Charge" items to the setup menu, but those doesn't fix the monitor not turning on (waking form the sleep) when cable is plugged in.

Setting the "Quick start mode" on speed up the monitor turning on process (the logos are not shown and the picture appears more quickly).

Setting the "Power-off USB Charge" option on will keep the USB Power on even if the monitor is switched off.

It actually seems that the monitor is more finicky now :( The picture doesn't appear as reliably with 0.2.19 as it did with was 0.1.18.

Plugging the monitor to different usb-c port in the MBP seems to help if the picture doesn't appear. It leads to think that the problem might be in the negotiation/interplay/state of the monitor and the port sw/hw in the laptop.

Unplug > turn off the monitor > plug in > turn on the monitor seems to do the trick too even without changing the port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.