Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

per_ramso

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2018
Stavanger
Hi guys!

Had a few problems with my new MacBook Pro 2017 and curious if others had similar issues. This is what happened:

• The monitor's (H277HU) usb-c cable did not work. Assume this was 3.1 gen 1. Works fine with MBP 2016 model.
  • Bought a 3.1 gen 2 cable and it works for both power and image with same monitors.
  • Worked fine until I tried USB hub functionality last week. Charges phone and gives power to external HDD, but no data transfered to MacBook.
  • Tried with other monitors of same model and same issue. Once again no problem with MBP 2016 model.
Anyone else with new MBP that have had similar problems? Does gen 1 cables work with your MacBook's and shouldn't it be backward compatible? Could it be the Asus monitor causing the problems?

Setup
Computer: MacBook Pro 2017 "13 model with 2,4 GHz i5, 16gb, Intel iris Plus Graphics 640.
Monitor: Acer H277HU
Gen 2 cable working: USB-C cable 0,5m

I also have a MacBook Pro 2017 model. It seem to work with the USB-C cable if the monitor is the first device I plugin. It says that it is charging the computer, but it does not seem to give it enough power so the percentage is slowly decreasing unless the computer also is plugged in to another power source.

jacobmerrill

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2018
Hey everyone! So I was having the same issue, the cord supplied with the H277HU worked for a split secong (macbook 2017) then stopped working, ACER sent me a new one, that didnt work, so I went on a limb and ordered this cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AUI7112/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

WORKS everytime, only issue is if youre using the macbook open while plugged in it charges pretty slow, doesnt decrease the battery but takes awhile to charge and sometimes causes the fan to come on. But, if you use it closed and just display using the monitor it does a good job charging.

Cheers!

darmach

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2018
I also have a MacBook Pro 2017 model. It seem to work with the USB-C cable if the monitor is the first device I plugin. It says that it is charging the computer, but it does not seem to give it enough power so the percentage is slowly decreasing unless the computer also is plugged in to another power source.

Guys, can some more people confirm that?
I need to confirm these working with MacBooks pro 2017.

Do this display work trough usb-c and charges MB pro '17 as of Jan 2018 (some fw versions update, or cable to be changed?)

EDIT: I noticed the model I'm about to get is Acer H277HK smipuz, so not the HU model. Does anyone knows if it's compatible?

Last edited:

Smicale

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2017
I just purchased the USB-C cable recommended in the above thread and this now has my Acer monitor charging and sending the data to the screen so I can use it as intended. YEAH!!!!!!!

fooliojp

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2018
UK
Been following this thread for a week or so... Decided to buy the Acer monitor... Arrived today, plugged it up to my 2017 Macbook Pro 15"... and it just worked! No special cable needed... just used usb-c cable out of the box. I have video, audio and powers to the MBP all from the same usb-c cable. Well chuffed!

Not checked the monitor version, but the box states Nov 2017 - I assume this was when it was manufactured.

Purchased it from CCL (UK)

https://www.cclonline.com/product/2...60x1440-4ms-DisplayPort/HDMI/USB-3-1/MON4079/

Price has gone up a bit since I purchased it last weekend - 17 quid! Still a good deal. Don't forget quidco too!

Good luck folks - this monitor does work with the 2017 MBP 15". Bought the monitor mainly for the RPi but MBP support is a bonus!

Cheers

Fooliojp

IMG_3618.JPG

Last edited:

McMaSt3r

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2018
I literally created an account just to post this.

The firmware update works like a charm. 5 minutes tops. I used an Anker USB A to USB C and it worked. Also, the cable that comes with the display works for me after the firmware update. Audio works, video works, it appears to charge macbook pro (but its at 100% right now though the charge symbol is on).

Seems like the firmware is the issue. Once updated works like a charm.

Oakdirect

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2018
I am just about to pull the trigger on buying the Acer H277hu.

Because of the issues that I have seen on the previous threads I have been reluctant to buy but it seems as if the issue has now been resolved on Acers end.

Just before I go ahead please can someone confirm that the H277HU does now work completely with a Macbook pro 15 inch 2017 as of 5th June 2018?

Also I have a something special to give to the first one who answers. Thanks ;)

xqtr

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2017

Because of the issues that I have seen on the previous threads I have been reluctant to buy but it seems as if the issue has now been resolved on Acers end.

Just before I go ahead please can someone confirm that the H277HU does now work completely with a Macbook pro 15 inch 2017 as of 5th June 2018?

It works just fine as long as you update the driver and use the proper USB-C 3.1 cable! I am using mine with a 2017 12 inch rMB and it works with my friends 2017 15 MBP.

Reactions: Oakdirect

Oakdirect

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2018
It works just fine as long as you update the driver and use the proper USB-C 3.1 cable! I am using mine with a 2017 12 inch rMB and it works with my friends 2017 15 MBP.

So the cable that is supplied with monitor is that ok to use? If not do you have a link to the right cable on amazon?

Also regarding something special I have just seen if you buy the monitor from Acer direct and input the promo code SPECIAL200 you get £200 off the RRP which works out at £249.

https://uk-store.acer.com/h7-monitor-h277hu

Would you say that is cheap for that monitor?

xqtr

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2017
So the cable that is supplied with monitor is that ok to use? If not do you have a link to the right cable on amazon?

Also regarding something special I have just seen if you buy the monitor from Acer direct and input the promo code SPECIAL200 you get £200 off the RRP which works out at £249.

https://uk-store.acer.com/h7-monitor-h277hu

Would you say that is cheap for that monitor?

The one that came in the box did not work for me. I ordered this one (UK link):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071ZRQ4RR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_s2EMzbBR8ZAG6

I am not based in the UK, but 249GBP is roughly 333USD. I paid $325 USD when it was on sale on Amazon last May. Not a bad deal, I guess?

Reactions: Oakdirect

2jzshev

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2018

Hey. Sorry for the later response. I updated the driver via an old PC I had laying around and it woke do like a charm. Great monitor. I have the file on my computer if you need it.

joshuas2115

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2017
Hey. Sorry for the later response. I updated the driver via an old PC I had laying around and it woke do like a charm. Great monitor. I have the file on my computer if you need it.
I got mine just before Christmas I’m using a 2017 mbp and I had to update the drivers for the monitor to work, after doin this have had no problems, it’s a beautiful monitor
[doublepost=1528249516][/doublepost]This is my monitor, working perfectly the colors are beautiful and has a very clear panel, through one cable you get charging, audio, data transfer and picture, it works great

Attachments

• 56F99548-E45A-4AF6-8540-871DF057B406.jpeg
    56F99548-E45A-4AF6-8540-871DF057B406.jpeg
    875.7 KB · Views: 442

cellshade

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2018
All I can say is that with a 15” MBP Touch and after the software update you can connect but the Monitor doesn’t send enough power to charge so - ergo - crap :-(

Rosendall

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2018
California
I just purchased the USB-C cable recommended in the above thread and this now has my Acer monitor charging and sending the data to the screen so I can use it as intended. YEAH!!!!!!!
Wish I could say, "Yay!", but I purchased the same cable and nothing. Zip. I wonder why?
[doublepost=1534459751][/doublepost]
All I can say is that with a 15” MBP Touch and after the software update you can connect but the Monitor doesn’t send enough power to charge so - ergo - crap :-(

Are you referring to a software update on the Mac or a firmware update on the monitor?

Rosendall

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2018
California
Sent my monitor into Acer. They turned it around in about a week. No charge and I have a 3 year warranty. Not bad. Needless to say, I will favor Acer in the future. Service is big deal to me. The monitor works great and sounds great too, FWIW.

ganzbeitrost

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2018
I had no luck connecting a 13-inch MacBook Pro 2018 (4 ports) and Mojave 10.14. The MacBook Pro gets loaded, and that's it. No picture, no sound.

Then I did the update with the firmware (page 3). The biggest challenge was to find someone with a Windows notebook ;-)

After that everything worked fine with the included USB-C cable from Acer. Now I have picture and sound and the Macbook gets also loaded. Everything is fine now!

https://unaice.de

iRainer

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2017
Switzerland
A few days ago I replaced my MB 12'' 2017 (where everything worked fine) by a MBP 13'' 2018 with Touch Bar and I can confirm that with the MBP everything works as well (using a Belkin Thunderbolt 3 cable 4K 20 Gbps): picture, sound, monitor's USB-hub, power*.

*As other people already posted, the monitor doesn't provide enough power to keep the MBP charged under very heavy load, i.e. when the Mac is running hot and the fans turn like crazy. In such a situation the battery level slowly starts to decrease. However under "normal" use (mail, web, streaming, photo editing, office work and such things) the MBP gets loaded or the battery level remains at 100%, respectively.

Last edited:

m4ndr4k3

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2018
Hi guys!

Had a few problems with my new MacBook Pro 2017 and curious if others had similar issues. This is what happened:

• The monitor's (H277HU) usb-c cable did not work. Assume this was 3.1 gen 1. Works fine with MBP 2016 model.
  • Bought a 3.1 gen 2 cable and it works for both power and image with same monitors.
  • Worked fine until I tried USB hub functionality last week. Charges phone and gives power to external HDD, but no data transfered to MacBook.
  • Tried with other monitors of same model and same issue. Once again no problem with MBP 2016 model.
Anyone else with new MBP that have had similar problems? Does gen 1 cables work with your MacBook's and shouldn't it be backward compatible? Could it be the Asus monitor causing the problems?

Setup
Computer: MacBook Pro 2017 "13 model with 2,4 GHz i5, 16gb, Intel iris Plus Graphics 640.
Monitor: Acer H277HU
Gen 2 cable working: USB-C cable 0,5m

I solved my issue (bought this monitor yesterday) with purchasing a GEN 1 cable (deltaco) 1,5m. I figured that the MBP is gen 2 (says in the specs) and the monitor is Gen 1. My macbook is also Gen 1 so I concluded that the cable must be it. And voilá success!

xqtr

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2017
Anyone else having issues with sound / volume after updating to Mojave?

appeLappe

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2003
Sweden
Thank you everyone!

I have the Acer H277HU as well, was using it with my Macbook 2015. I just got the new Macmini and got the problems you all describe.

I downloaded the patch-application found in this thread and bought a USB-C Gen2 cable. The update was no problem but the screen was still black, even with the new cable and with the cable that came with the monitor. However I also tried a third cable, which I got with a USB-C HD enclosure and that worked! Sound and USB-hub! Don't know about power since I have a MacMini, which doesn't power through the thunderbolt ports.

For Scandinavian readers, This cable did not work:

https://www.netonnet.se/art/ljud-oc...-usb-3-1-gen-2-c-c-white-1m-3a/1004187.13718/

The cable from this did work:

https://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/e...co-map-gd49c-2a5-usb-ca-usb-3-1/244927.13910/

Reactions: Thomas F

shaymanjohn

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2010
Thank you everyone!

I have the Acer H277HU as well, was using it with my Macbook 2015. I just got the new Macmini and got the problems you all describe.

I downloaded the patch-application found in this thread and bought a USB-C Gen2 cable. The update was no problem but the screen was still black, even with the new cable and with the cable that came with the monitor. However I also tried a third cable, which I got with a USB-C HD enclosure and that worked! Sound and USB-hub! Don't know about power since I have a MacMini, which doesn't power through the thunderbolt ports.

For Scandinavian readers, This cable did not work:

https://www.netonnet.se/art/ljud-oc...-usb-3-1-gen-2-c-c-white-1m-3a/1004187.13718/

The cable from this did work:

https://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/e...co-map-gd49c-2a5-usb-ca-usb-3-1/244927.13910/

And to confirm, I also had the same problem with the new Mac Mini (2018), although the monitor works fine with my 2016 Macbook Pro over usb-c. A new cable didn't solve it for me, but the firmware upgrade of the monitor fixed it immediately.

Thanks to everyone on this thread, in particular the link to the firmware update file.

shamhead

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2018
Hi everyone,
I was hoping to get a bit more info on the firmware process, I have a windows 10 laptop and have tried various USB A to C cables and everytime the firmware software says it cannot find a compatible device, bailing out.

The latest cable I tried was one that came with a G-Tech ssd so it is definitely capable of data transfer rather than just charge. Still the same result.

Like others the monitor worked the first time I used the cable then no longer.

Does the windows machine need to have drivers for the monitor installed?

Does the firmware need to be run at a specific time? When the monitor says ‘no cable connected’

The windows machine knows something is plugged in but then a pop up says it isn’t recognised.

Any help appreciated!

appeLappe

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2003
Sweden
Hi everyone,
I was hoping to get a bit more info on the firmware process, I have a windows 10 laptop and have tried various USB A to C cables and everytime the firmware software says it cannot find a compatible device, bailing out.

The latest cable I tried was one that came with a G-Tech ssd so it is definitely capable of data transfer rather than just charge. Still the same result.

Like others the monitor worked the first time I used the cable then no longer.

Does the windows machine need to have drivers for the monitor installed?

Does the firmware need to be run at a specific time? When the monitor says ‘no cable connected’

The windows machine knows something is plugged in but then a pop up says it isn’t recognised.

Any help appreciated!

Sorry no good help, but felt I should try.

First the obvious, you did put the USB-C end in the monitor and USB-A in the computer? (sorry if too obvious).

I used an old Intel Nuc, with windows 7. No drivers needed. Do you have access to another Wintel to try from?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.